Tyler Ulis will announce his decision on Friday night

Tyler Ulis and Devin Booker

Tyler Ulis and Devin Booker

According to The Chicago Sun Times’ Michael O’Brien, 2014 point guard Tyler Ulis will announce his college decision at 7:20 p.m. CT Friday night. It will be shown live on the High School Cube website, and take place before his high school’s football game.

Ulis’ top three schools are Iowa, Michigan State, and Kentucky. He and Devin Booker visited the latter two this past weekend, and enjoyed their time in Lexington immensely. All signs point to him picking the Cats.

The 5’8″ point guard is considered the 38th best player in the 2014 class by ESPN. Watch him work:

Come on down.

51 Comments for Tyler Ulis will announce his decision on Friday night

1. Wedding Planner
    3:09 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Bad news. We are gonna lose Okafor and Jones now bc of shorty

2. UK
    3:11 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Good news. We have the greatest recruiting coach in the history of college basketball and players that will return next year.

3. Sampson The Great
    3:12 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Great hands, great court-awareness, the ability to defend (love the block in the video!), appears to be a good shot from outside, the ability drive against bigger defenders and score. The “hunger” to succeed in all situations. What’s not to like?

I like him. He may be a slightly smaller version of Eric Bledsoe. Plus, he may actually stay around for 3/4 years due to having to prove himself because of the height issue (although that was not a problem for Bledsoe), but you get my point.

4. Elmer
    3:13 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Come on down
    Basketball Yahtzee

5. SeaCat
    3:13 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Tyler, Why did Matt tweet: bum,bum,bum?
    about this news.

6. Give me a racoon, please.
    3:15 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Bledsoe was built like a truck so the height wasn’t as big of an issue (pun not intended).

7. Kev
    3:16 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Reminds me of Jai Lucas. Hope I’m wrong.

8. George
    3:16 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

What’s the point of having Ulis AND Hawkins?

9. Kemba
    3:19 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Did you guys watch Kemba Walker play in college? Short my ass…

10. AnthonyBBN
    3:22 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Do you guys remember Travis Ford?

11. ukfan
    3:22 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I hope everyone realizes that this kid IS NOT ANOTHER RYAN HARROW. Ulis can straight up ball and would thrive in Coach Cals system!! Plus he won’t be leaving after a year or two so we could be setting ourselves up for another John Wall/Eric Bledsoe situation in the future with Ulis being Bledsoe. We need this kid! So please, no freakin’ Ryan Harrow comparisons!!

12. ukfan
    3:24 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

5. He meant it to sound like the “who wants to be a millionaire” bum bum bum when the lights dim.. get it?

13. Cattank
    3:24 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

#1 do some research. Okafor has also said he loves Ullis’ game too. He would definitely consider dropping the package deal with Jones to come to UK.

14. matt
    3:26 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Too Short

15. Michael F. Jox
    3:26 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Hey, Kemba, you’re 5 inches taller than this kid. I agree with George. Why have both him and Hawkins? Either Cal sees something in this kid, or he’s settling on him since his “sure thing” went to SMU and his next choice is going to Duke, and he doesn’t really have any other options at this point. I honestly can’t see this kid being that great of a guard here, but hopefully I’m as wrong as some of you will so graciously tell me.

16. ukfan
    3:26 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Kemba Walker.. Devin Downey.. just because he short doesn’t mean he can’t call and lead our team to the promise land!! Come on down!

17. Hal
    3:26 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

— was michael o’brien they same guy who wrote the allegations about anthony davis (which even the media blasted him for)
    — eric bledsoe is listed at 6’1, 190 lb. tyler ulis: 5’8, 150 lb.

18. commonsense
    3:26 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Reminds me of a shorter/less-skilled Brandon Knight. Feeling kinda meh..

19. SeaCat
    3:27 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

oh! thanks ukfan.

20. mike
    3:27 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Hey, if cal wants him, i want him. I don’t care what his physical specs are. IMO only two requirements for me to be ok with a player. 1) he wants to be here 2) cal wants him to be here.

21. ukfan
    3:28 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Plus who’s to say he won’t grow a couple inches between now and the time he gets here? And stop asking why we need him when we have Hawkins.. that’s a dumb statement. Ulis is ranked the 38th best player in the country!!! What was Hawkkns ranked? Damn you spoiled ass fans piss me off!!

22. UK FAN
    3:29 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Can he really defend a guard the size Andrew Harrison? Small guards have their place but at 5-8 he has to be one hell of an athlete to succeed at UK. If Cal thinks he can be a Ty Lawson type player bring him on board!

23. NL
    3:32 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

His height doesn’t matter as much as long as he has other good players around him. You can build a team around a smaller PG. He’s going to need more help than a bigger PG tho

24. NL
    3:35 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

22-Sometimes the small guards give the bigger guys problems because they can stay low and tighter under the bigger guard. IMO hes more of an offensive liability.

25. commonsense
    3:36 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Hood/Stacey Poole/Harrow were ranked similarly. Glad the kid wants to go here and I think he is the best option left, but barring 2-3 players staying after this year, I don’t think 2015 will be a pleasant season.

26. Trouser Tool
    3:36 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Looks like the kid from Webster.

27. Double Standard
    3:39 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I remember our fans making fun of the tards for having small guards. Guess its ok when we get one though.

28. JustSayin
    3:42 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Some of you morons do realize the kid is probably reading this site right? Look at what the kid can do as a complete player instead of focusing on just one thing.

29. jezz
    3:45 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Dominique Hawkins might be good enough to start next year.

Thus said I don’t care if he is short as long as he is good… People not even giving him a chance is ridiculous. You have no idea and yet all have an opinion. Wait and see.

30. Wedding Planner
    3:50 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

#13 – how about you do some research? Ullis told the Courier Journal that he thinks Tyus Jones and Okafor will play at the same school. And then added that he and Jones cannot co-exist

31. Michael F. Jox
    3:56 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I actually don’t think the kid is reading this comment thread, but even if he was, you think he hasn’t heard the height thing before, moron? Or do you really think he cares what you or I have to say even? If he does, then UK’s probably not the place for him.

32. Too Short
    3:57 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

YESSSSSSSS!!! 🙂 Say goodbye to Jones!

33. TOO $hort
    4:16 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

2014 class will not be that great. lets enjoy this year!

34. One year starter
    4:26 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Ullis will be the starter for one year then the next year the starting point guard will be Malik Newman. Newman is the best pg in class of 2015 and is likely to come to Kentucky.

35. ukfan
    4:32 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Just because we don’t have a John Wall or Andrew Harrison running the point doesn’t mean every season will turn out like last years season. If Nerlens hasn’t gotten hurt we could of won the SEC and definitely would of made the NCAA tournament regardless, possibly reaching the sweet 16 or even elite 8 if we played out of our minds. We won’t always get 4-5 players in the top 20 and the season won’t always turn out like last years did! Best defender in the country got sidelined for crying out loud!

36. Jen
    4:42 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I like him. What I don’t like are all of the experts on here who know more than Calipari and who are already creating a toxic environment for this kid. Unless you’ve recruited five straight number one recruiting classes, shut the #$#$ up and let Cal work.

37. Jim
    5:01 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

How tall is his Daddy and Mom?

38. BAdams
    5:30 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Kid seems fearless and that’s all that matters in a point guard. As for as the Hawkins debate, haven’t you ever heard of a back up pg? That was the problem last year. And 2 worked out really well in 2010. If you don’t see the need, you don’t understand basketball. Okafor and Jones are not a done deal and Jones isn’t as tough as what you see in Ulis. I’m pretty sure short players have worked out before, see Bogues, Nate Robinson, Spudd Webb. Btw, Bledsoe was 4 inches taller so really isn’t any comparisons.

39. bmt22033
    5:35 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I’m so tired of reading comments from people who think they know better than Calipari when it comes to recruiting. I’m sure some of you people are pissed that Barnhart offered Calipari millions of dollars to do such a “crappy” job at Kentucky. Seriously, get over yourselves.

40. JustSayin
    5:45 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Hey Michael, so you agree the height thing has been discussed ad nauseum? Glad to hear it. Quit trying to look into your dirty crystal ball and support the kid, unless you are a troll of course.

41. Jordan
    7:32 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

C’mon people, Id rather have Ulis than no one. Matt said Tyus Jones is heading to Duke so we should snatch his kid while we can. We need a PG for the 2014 class and better Ulis than the kid ranked in the 70s. We know the Harrisons and Young are gone so we need guards. Ulis and Booker wont be great their first year but come 2016 or 2017, they will be nice! I say take Ulis while we can, all 5’8″ of him

42. bosshogg24
    8:05 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Ulis had 22 points and 17 assists in a match up with Tyus Jones, what does that say? They say he can score against anyone in the country!

43. Expectations
    9:06 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

This kid is not near the same level of talent of Mudiay. Mudiay was a big miss.

That being said, if coach thinks he is the best available then let’s get him. I think best case would be to surround him with top level talent and hopefully he can be Teague 2.0 instead of a Harrow 2.0

44. bigcatstanding
    10:27 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

#1 it shows that weddings are much more up your alley then basketball, meaning you are clueless hope this kid has selective reading, and continues on his path to Kentucky, and don’t forget coach Cal is recruiting him not the other way around. #34 the kid isn’t coming he’s made his choice let it go, as far as I’m concerned that kid was more concerned about him than the team. John Wall probably the best point guard to play at Kentucky other than Rondo, and how did that workout for us 2010 we relied to much on wall and got put out of the tournament while going 22 and 0 from deep. in 2012 we played a system where everybody got shots, and sharing the ball was the difference. give me 4 great players and a kid like Ulis to run the offense and we will be golden. Seems like I’ve said this a hundred times but this kid can score on anyone, watch the tapes on this kid he is tremendous at every aspect of the game, hope like hell we get him so he can prove all the coaches / nay sayers out there wrong.

45. KevinM
    10:30 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

If Ulis went to Izzo, I would be okay with it.

I don’t think he does though.

This one is going to be Harrow-level controversial going forward.

If Harrison ‘squared’ could stay just through their entire 4 years, I would be okay with Ulis on our roster.

46. Mark Liptak
    11:08 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Unless my memory is faulty O’Brien is the guy who “reported” that Davis got 200,000 to attend UK. A charge he was never able to prove or even followed up on with another story. He based his first story on comments he got from other coaches.

The point is take NAYTHING he says (even something this innocuous) with a grain of salt.

47. Buckets
    2:30 am September 12, 2013 Permalink

I love Too Short. Get In Where You Fit In!

48. Kyle
    6:54 am September 12, 2013 Permalink

Hey, I’m 5’8″ and I have lots of dimes. There is hope for my two boys. I thought bball at UK was heading to a place where if you’re not a 6’8″ pg there was no hope for you. Though I will say, Cal might have to play zone if this guy is going to have a chance on the defensive end. I would ISO the guy in the post every time down. That’s what happened to me every trip down court in high school to me at 5’8″.

49. colby
    9:11 am September 12, 2013 Permalink

This kid is not afraid of contact , unless like Ryan. He is absolutely fearless. Has nothing but heart and a will.to win. That’s why Coach Cal wants him.

50. Dustin
    11:24 am September 12, 2013 Permalink

Reminds me a lot of Joe Jackson. A short PG that Cal somewhat recruited but ending up going full bore on Brandon Knight and getting him instead. I like Cal’s teams better with a tall guard for defensive purposes but I think a quick shifty guard can absolutely flourish in the paint in his offense. I’d expect a lot of circus finishes and great interior passing. That’s what we can hope for. Or we could get Ryan Harrow 2.0, but I doubt Cal even sees a hint of weakness in Ulis or he wouldn’t be offering.

51. Wayne
    1:43 pm September 12, 2013 Permalink

5 foot 8 may work in high school but I’m not sure it will translate well to college. I’m less than excited about this one.