Tyler Ulis cuts USC, down to three

spt-1227-mcdipper

According to the Courier-Journal’s Steve Jones, 2014 point guard Tyler Ulis has eliminated USC from his list, and is down to Iowa, Michigan State, and Kentucky. Ulis visited Iowa over the weekend, and will visit Michigan State on Friday and Kentucky on Sunday. He’ll stay through Monday, which means he’ll be at the Alumni Game, along with Jahlil Okafor and Devin Booker.

Check out his latest highlights:

45 Comments for Tyler Ulis cuts USC, down to three

1. Ohhh Nooo
    2:40 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

I’ll start by saying he is a sold player…

For being 5’8 (If he is that tall, doesn’t look it)

If he is our starting PG next year, we are in BIG TROUBLE, I don’t care who you put around him! Coming off the bench for some minutes, sure. But we cannot compete for a title with him as our starting point guard. Not.a.chance.

2. Nick
    2:41 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

This kid is a cat. Mark it down.

3. Chris Farley
    2:45 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Him’s just a little guy.

4. Musehobo
    2:48 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Seeing us last + staying over night + visiting Alumni game = commitment. It’s math.

5. hooters
    2:49 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

In response to#3 so was Napoleon!

6. Trouser Tool
    2:54 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Mike Hughes

Rick Pitino denied rumors, spread by a rabid rival fan, that popular junior guard Kevin Ware was suspended from the Louisville team this summer.

7. Crazy Curtis
    2:56 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Ulis=NIT
    Cal needs to get Jones or Moody or both Jones and Moody

8. wes78
    2:58 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Chris Jones at UL is similar in size and skill to this kid and he’s going to get significant minutes this season for a top 10 team. He could be a good compliment to a sophomore Hawkins, but I wouldn’t expect him to start right away.

9. Free Chelsea Manning
    2:58 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

I trust Cal, but we went from Emmanuel Mudiay to Emmanuel Lewis.

10. caliparty
    2:58 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Great. Cal has done well with weaker/undersized point guards…….

11. stubbs
    3:04 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Two words:
    Devan Downey

12. Screwed
    3:06 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

We are toast. Cal needs a top pg or he will have to actually coach. Scary.

13. bbanks81
    3:07 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

I’s safe to say we are in serious trouble if this kid is asked to be the starting PG next year. 5’8 (maybe), does not work for a full time load in this offense. Mudiay was hands down the biggest loss of any “must get” recruit since Cal has been here. Exum is not going to college, and after that there are not many day 1 starting PGs left in that class. Maybe we can scramble to get a fifth year senior or a surprise JUCO? Either way, let’s all enjoy this season, as it could be a down year in 2014-15.

14. UK
    3:07 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

I’d be willing to bet my hat (a very nice one) that Mudiay flips. He got his brother a spot on SMU so once the brother is playing for SMU he will have done his job.

15. Ohhh Nooo
    3:08 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

@Caliparty Which weaker/undersized PGs has Cal done well with? Seriously…I can’t think of any. The smallest one I can think of is Teague or Darius Washington, and they are both 6’2

16. caliparty
    3:10 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

15.- Sarcasm……

17. Ohhh Nooo
    3:12 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Ok, my bad..I was actually trying to think of just one

18. Don't worry
    3:15 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

You guys worry too much. This kid will do fine. Plus UK could keep and develop him for a few years. Look for Cal to get Blackmon Jr. and make him a combo guard and divvy up minutes between Ulis/Blackmon. Trust in Cal!

19. World Wide Wes
    3:19 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

How y’all like me now that Larry Brown is at SMU? Cal is my [email protected] and will have to recruit like everyone else if he doesn’t pay up.

20. TheRobBromley
    3:37 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

19 – I’m still astounded by rival fans going to other team sites to comment on message boards. Back to you Mrs. Tyler!

21. Idiots
    4:01 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Anyone on here saying a player can’t be good because of his height has clearly never played nor know much about basketball. A pg responsibilities are to run the offense or better yet distribute the ball to his teammates. The kid has a very high bball IQ, excellent passer, and a good shooter. I’ll take that over height any day, the kid will be a stud and i guarantee it. Some of you all getting way to fixated on his height and its making you look foolish.

22. KevinM
    4:02 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Gotta be concerned after what we saw with Ryan Harrow…..you have to be to handle a bunch of egos.
    Has anyone heard this kid do an interview yet?

Tyus Jones, can you help out a fan base?

23. JustSain
    4:05 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

You guys that keep saying OMG he is too short and then turn around and say we need Jones do understand that Jones and Ulis are basically the same height right? So please avoid putting foot in mouth. When Ulis went up against both Mudiay and Jones he did great. If you are a player you are a player, pure and simple. Shagari Alleyne was 7’3 for goodness sakes and he literally moved by sending a carrier pigeon to a body part with a piece of paper that said MOVE.

24. Clint
    4:06 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Some of you are idiotic or just flat-out ignorant. The kid can play. If he had size he would easily be a top 3 PG in the 2014 class. He has handles, a pretty good shot, great vision and great passing skills. He can get into the lane at will and that’s why Cal offered him over Josh Perkins. Jerry Meyer has said that Ullis could be the PG for a championship team and I believe him. He owned Tyus Jones when they played against each other. He will probably split time at the PG spot with Blackmon/Booker anyways so I have no idea why some people are talking like this.

25. barn
    4:07 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

when’s the last time you saw a championship won with a pg that small. with the big lineup we have this year I think a much taller pg would be better suited to run the offense

26. Michael F. Jox
    4:11 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

^^^ But yet Shagari got a scholarship, thanks to his size, which according to you doesn’t matter. As for anyone who says height doesn’t matter… wth? Do you follow basketball? Tell that to every scout out there and see what they say. Cal himself says he LOVES big point gurads. Now I’m just guessing there’s a reason.

27. oddthomas
    4:24 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

hey barn, see kemba walker moron

28. barn
    4:49 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

hey oddthomas, kemba walker was over 6ft tall assclown

29. bigcatstanding
    4:54 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

#7 according to your opinion John Calipari has no idea who to recruit, meaning why would he even go after Ulis. #3 so was spud Webb /Mugsy Bogues. Here’s what’s going to happen write it down, Andrew Harrison will go as a lottery pick next year, While his brother stays behind one more year to improve his skills as a point guard, so he will have the same opportunity to go as a lottery pick. ULIS will be his backup and learn the system, and believe me he has the ability to start for any division 1 college in the country. Putting all 5 foot 10 PGs in the same category is ridiculous, that’s like saying lets only recruit 6 foot 5 PGs they’re all great get real doesn’t matter your size near as much as the size of your heart. so let’s hope this kid has dyslexia, or selective reading so we still have a chance to land him lol. BBN RULES. ILF#9

30. barn
    5:01 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

bigcatstanding: if you’re implying ulis is 5’10”, he’s not. all the scouting services have him at 5’8″

31. bigcatstanding
    5:06 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

#24 great post and observation this kid has the best floater in the lane sense Wayne Turner. Have seen tons of highlights where he’s breaking toward the basket, and because of his speed the defender over compensate while he stops and hits the floater over and over. Of all of the point guards in the class he is tops in seeing the court and getting the ball to the right person on time. #23 Good job to go one better Jones was assed who was the best point guard he played against this season and he said Ulis by far was tops.

32. bigcatstanding
    5:14 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

BARN ) I could care less if he was five foot two that’s what they had wrote in an article 5 10, which almost always means he’s 1 to 2 inches smaller than that. So what is your point 1 or 2 inches can he play, or are you just someone that likes to disagree or correct someone, you and the rest of the naysayers need to let coach do his thing and trust what and who he believes in good day sir.

33. JustSayin
    5:17 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Ty Lawson

34. bigcatstanding
    5:19 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Mr barn one more thing, what was the size of Michigan State point guard when they won their last championship, they might say he was six foot but stood right beside him me being 5’11 and look down.

35. bigcatstanding
    5:23 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

#1. that is the most idiotic comment I have ever read, you’re saying if there’s four great players on the floor and this kid as a tremendous penetrator and passer we have no chance. Sounds like you need your keyboard smack up side your head, to maybe bring back a little reality. I really hope we don’t have as many ignorant Kentucky fans as it sounds like, these comments have to be coming from posers / trollers.

36. greg
    5:26 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

you guys are ridiculous. The kid can play and he’s not Ryan Harrow, he’s notoriously been described as tough and a leader, two things Harrow is not. Give the kid a chance. If we have the pieces around him, we will be very competitve. But, as in any year, if we have no leader, no team chemistry, and no depth…we are screwed. Let’s reserve judgement until we see first…how the class comes together as a whole, and secondly, how they come together as a team. With that being said, we are talking about Fall 2014, a lot can happen between now and then and we have a ridiculously talented team to watch and cheer on all season THIS year. Midnight (Big Blue) Madness is right around the corner. One other thing, for those complaining, we aren’t getting Jones and Mudiay IS going to SMU. If we don’t get Ulis, we don’t get a tough PG with starting potential. Quit Bitching

37. greg
    5:29 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Mateen Cleaves WAS short, but tough and a leader. How tall was that PG Green from UF’s two titles. He was a 3 star if I remember correctly.

38. Jeremiah
    5:32 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Cal might as well offer Quentin Snider if he is going to offer Tyler Ulis…

39. Tom Blevins
    5:32 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Monty Towe was the starting point guard for North Carolina State when they won the NCAA in 1974. He was listed at 5-7 in college, but when he was measured in the pros, was only 5-5 and a half. Monty did a lot of things well, but wasn’t overwhelming at anything. He did play smart basketball, and it helped that he played on the same team with two All Americans. ( David Thompson and Tommy Burleson.) Sure it’s an advantage to be tall, but I think Tyler Ulis will be a fine college point guard.

40. ukfan
    6:50 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

He looks like a little kid.. damn you Emmanuel

41. barn
    7:01 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

bigcatstanding: damn dude, i’m not trying to dumbass anyone, just saying I think a bigger pg is better–an opinion obviously different than yours. sorry. also all the basketball references I’ve seen says cleaves was 6’2″. wikipedia, bball reference & mich. st. bball site. I never met the guy for all I know he may be a midget in elevator shoes.

42. bigcatstanding
    7:40 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Barn ) I would have not said anything to you except after I read 3 separate post you wrote, all of which were negative towards him. also if you went to all that trouble to get Mateen Cleaves height, maybe you should have put the same effort into finding out what everyone thinks about Ulis. Jones after being asked who was the toughest point guard he played against stated that Ulis was by far, easy enough to find that, but you’re still post after post say what a bad team we will have if he’s our point guard. #36 GREAT POST I’M glad to see that everyone hasn’t lost their minds. How about this Kentucky fans let’s enjoy this amazing unheard of talented bunch of players that will bring home number 9 and quit being so damn stupid.

43. bmt22033
    9:16 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

It’s easier to “justify” if we lose a recruit to Kansas, UNC, Duke, etc. because it makes sense why a kid might want to go to a place like that. But when one of your primary targets for the class announces that he’s going to SMU, you really have to scratch your head. In this case, I think Larry Brown simply convinced Mudiay that he’d be one and done wherever he went and that he (Brown) has the NBA connections to do as much for Mudiay as Calipari could. To sweeten the deal further, he offered Mudiay’s brother the opportunity to transfer to a D-I school and play on scholarship. I would be shocked if that pitch hasn’t been used more and more by other coaches since Cal started bringing so many one and done players.

44. 94Feet
    9:24 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

Tyler Ullis and Hawkins next year will be formidable at the point guard spot. The point guard doesn’t have to the first, second or third scoring option. We have been fortunate to have that in the past 3-4 years to have that. Think of this way, realistically also, if Tyler or Dominique have 4 McDonalds all-americans to distribute to and play defense as expected, why would there be any let down ? A point guard playing their role is not a bad thing. Knowing you have 4 scoring options on the court and using them has to equal success ?

45. Ooh nooo
    1:10 am September 4, 2013 Permalink

Bigcat; First off ur a tough guy behind that computer, I promise u wouldn’t smack me w any keyboard if u saw me in person..I promise.. And secondly, I played college basketball on scholarship, did you? I played sg and a little pg..no I’m not ignorant, I know the game.. And I also know that if that kid is our starting point guard, we won’t win a ship..size matters, unless he is just a super freak, which he is not.. VERY, VERY good hooper, but no UK starting pg, IMO.. And you know what they say abt opinions!

P.s. if you can’t comment/discuss your opinions wout insulting ppl like a child, email me and I’ll give you my address..we can discuss in person