Tyler Ulis confirms an offer from UK

Tyler Ulis spent the day on a visit to Kentucky, and apparently the visit went well. Tyler Ulis confirmed that he picked up an offer from Kentucky while in Lexington today. Ulis is the 38th best player in the class of 2014 and the 8th best point guard. Ulis is strongly considering Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan State and USC. Ulis’ size at 5’9 is not the typical prototype for  a Calipari point guard, but the offer has to make you believe that Calipari truly sees something great in this kid if he is willing to break the mold.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

23 Comments for Tyler Ulis confirms an offer from UK

1. Rei
    8:16 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

a 3 year player with room to grow still. Harrow wasn’t much taller when he committed to NCSU either. hope he comes.

2. lesigh
    8:40 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Please, no Harrow comparisons. Last year still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

3. bosshogg24
    8:48 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

22 points and 17 assists against Tyus Jones in front of Calipari, enough said! One of the best scorers in the nation!

4. CardinalsSuck
    9:00 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

This mean Cal is unsure of how good we are in with this class’s pg’s or is he just being cautious?

5. bloobloodcat
    9:08 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

So…. no Mudiay? Jones is def a Dukie. I don’t like this, he’s too small. Harrow comparisons make me vomit in my mouth

6. bosshogg24
    9:14 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Tyler Ulis has nothing to do with Mudiay. Don’t bring up Harrow, it’s like oranges and Apples and you can’t have too many guards. Leave the recruiting to Cal someone that knows what he is doing!

7. bmt22033
    9:27 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

He is a little guy with a small frame but he can ball! I just went back and watched his Peach Jam performance against Tyus Jones and as #3 already pointed out, he was great!

8. lil c
    9:38 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

He’s really small. I don’t care how good he is, he’s 5’9!!? My 13yr old is 5’10! He better be super quick and a great passer!

9. cotton nash
    9:44 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Very cool. Be nice to have Tyler AND Mudiay. Ulis can fill it up,..and quickly. Come on down, Tyler.

10. Damon
    10:00 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Everyone was saying the same thing about Shelvin Mack remember? He’s too small, not good enough, blah blah blah… Who wouldn’t have wanted a player like that on the team in hindsight? Can’t overlook a player just because of size.

In Cal We Trust

11. Doo Doo Brown
    10:13 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Sorry #8 Coach Cal just thought he had a cool name. WHY ARE THERE SO MANY MORONS IN OUR FANBASE? Ugh!!!!

12. Catscatscats
    10:40 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

I was surprised to hear this. I believed that Mudiay was the main target. If I had to guess I would say Mudiay is still most likely coming to UK. Ullis is the type of guard you could put him and Mudiay in backcourt together. I honestly believe this is a move to shore up a point guard for the 2015-16 season. He doesn’t seem to have the ability to be one and done, I could definitely be wrong, but it sounds like Cal wants to make sure he’s got a good point guard for 2015-16. We shall see, but I know one thing, I trust Cals recruiting. He’s a genius, I am pumped to see how this ends up panning out.

13. bigwhody
    10:44 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

#12 I think you are correct. If you look at the 15-16 class (according to Scout), there is only one 5 star point guard and he is very high on Michigan. I think Cal sees Ulis as a 2-3 year player that would help the next couple years.

14. wedding planner
    10:44 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Alarming. No way Cal offers this kid right now if he was confident on the other PGs

15. Catscatscats
    10:48 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

#13 yes my only concern is playing time for Hawkins. I really want that kid to succeed. #14, sorry but Mudiay is coming to UK no doubt.

16. bosshgg24
    11:04 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Wedding planner, this is not alarming at all! Cal is very confident in his #1 PG target. This has nothing to do with Mudiay! Tyler Ulis is depth and to make sure UK doesn’t end up without a future PG.

17. CATandMONKEY
    11:48 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Guys…seriously, stop acting like UofL fans.

18. WRB
    3:26 am August 17, 2013 Permalink

Ulis is like every other offer that Cal gives out. He thinks he can help the team, so that is good enough for me.

19. cracka
    9:37 am August 17, 2013 Permalink

this is the 13th guy cal has offered and all of a sudden everybody freaks out … mudiay and jones both have official visits planned (10/18 and 9/27) … no reason to freak out here

besides, when the twins announced uk they said they were going to play here 4 years

20. bigcatstanding
    10:56 am August 17, 2013 Permalink

#19. this one here isn’t freaking out he’s the best point guard in the class, anyone that has watched him knows that. 1 month ago he played against Jones dishing out right at 20 assist also having 20 some points. and in a interview last week Jones was asked who was the best point guard he played against this year, he said by far Ulis. just two months ago he wasn’t even in the top 100, it’s hard to jump from 200 to 1 in just that short amount of time. so let’s just hope this kid can read, that way he don’t come in thinking he wasn’t good enough, and not good enough is a laugh. GO BIG BLUE

21. bigcatstanding
    11:06 am August 17, 2013 Permalink

#8 why would you even respond if you don’t know anything about him other than his size Mugsy. ( Bogues )some of you are hilarious do absolutely no research just size and weight measurements. Yes and he is a great passer he dished out 20 assist against the best point guard supposedly in the country and scored 20 some points. Calipari has risen Kentucky to the highest in the land, then people question a scholarship offer based on someone’s size?

22. bigcatstanding
    11:15 am August 17, 2013 Permalink

#11 I like your comment don’t have a like button so best I can do, #8 he’s a moron. And I would bet if his kid ended up being seven foot tall, still wouldn’t have a chance in hell against this kid. Ulis scores over big guys like they are sitting down, has the best floater in the lane I have seen since Wayne Turner. bring him on and hope he has selective memory, meaning hope he don’t remember the negative remarks.

23. cletis1975
    3:13 am August 19, 2013 Permalink

Anyone remember Devan Downey from south Carolina that our 2010 team had fits with? This kid looks a lot like that. Yeah, the guy John Wall couldn’t stop without help. Size means nothing. Look at Iverson. Cal saw something special or this kid wouldn’t have been offered. Why don’t half the people on here be talent evaluators for NBA teams? Because they make a stupid judgement without seeing the kids play. They would have to get off the recliner to do that.