Two recruiting analysts pick Washington for Jaden McDaniels

(Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports)

(Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports)

The unofficial expected decision date came and went with no announcement for 2019 five-star forward Jaden McDaniels yesterday. While we still don’t have an update on the when, we are now seeing a trend of picks on his Crystal Ball on 247 Sports.

This afternoon, recruiting analysts Andrew Slater and Chad Lykins submitted back-to-back predictions in favor of the Washington Huskies.

While Slater and Lykins, both Duke recruiting insiders, haven’t maintained elite track records similar to that of Evan Daniels or Josh Gershon (both plus-90% prediction rates) on the Crystal Ball, they are still known for being solid sources in the world of high school basketball recruiting.

Despite two consecutive picks, Kentucky still holds the overall lead with 46% of picks, followed by Washington at 23%, undecided at 23%, and San Diego State at 8%.

Prior to the Washington picks, three consecutive “undecided” predictions came in from Daniels, Gershon, and Arizona insider Jason Scheer over the span of 24 hours. This comes after the Wildcats maintained an overwhelming lead on the recruiting service, including picks from Daniels, Gershon, Slater, and Jerry Meyer, among others.

Daniels also went on his podcast, The Sidelines with Evan Daniels, and said that while it’s definitely close, he’d likely lean Washington ever-so-slightly right now.

“This time last week, I thought for certain that he was going to Kentucky. I fully believe that that was what he was going to do.” he said. “I do think things have changed. When you’re dealing with 17 and 18-year old kids, minds change. His recruitment wasn’t done. Kentucky had met with him at Nike Hoop Summit, and then Washington went back and met with him, he’s from Washington. I think they’re very much a player in this, Washington. It’s a battle between Washington and Kentucky. As of today – Thursday – I lean toward Washington slightly, but I would not be surprised either way.”

While the momentum is seemingly shifting back in Washington’s favor, that’s not stopping some future Kentucky Wildcats from doing their part in the home stretch of this recruitment.

Both Tyrese Maxey and Dontaie Allen made their pitches to the five-star forwards on Instagram this morning:

Last night, I wrote what hoped to be a last-minute recruiting update on McDaniels based on some of the conversations I had with folks throughout the last two days. To catch up on that, you can read it here.

I’m so ready for this recruitment to be over.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

33 Comments for Two recruiting analysts pick Washington for Jaden McDaniels

1. 4everUKblue
    8:03 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

I’l bet neither of them know Tom Jenkins, he’s the man with all the inside info….according to Johnson reports.

2. nocode96
    8:21 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Since I can’t login on the app since KSR got DDoS’d, I would like to take this opportunity to say I’m still alive, mashburnfan still sucks, and that McDaniel’s Wikipedia page states he decided to forego college and will enter his name in the NBA draft! Lol. Whatever he does, wherever he goes, I wish him the best. Hopefully he rocks those blue and white next year!!

3. JsW23
    8:22 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

I am so tired of this recruitment! Would like to see him a Cat, but with that being said I believe we will be fine without him!

4. Johnson.reports
    8:26 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Just talked to Tom Jenkins he said it should be any min !

• 4everUKblue
      9:47 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Lol! How long you gonna keep up this charade? You said you’d be back at 8 to say I told you so, wow look at the time.

• 4everUKblue
      11:32 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Tick tock tick tock…

• Tom Jenkins
      8:15 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Oh did I say yesterday? My bad. I meant tonight. Tonight at 8pm EST. Stay tuned!

5. SanDiegoCats
    8:30 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

I can see him changing his mind from Washington to Kentucky but Kentucky to Washington is surprising.

6. Chacosrule
    8:32 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Perhaps yet another ton of hype, and perhaps yet another swing and miss.

7. ukkatzfan
    8:42 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Glad that is finally over. Welcome to BBN !!!

8. VirginiaCat
    8:52 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

I think we may be better off without him. That is not sour grapes talking, I have thought this all along. McDaniels would be better off staying at home where he can sidestep the intense visibility that he would experience in Lexington. As Cal likes to say, Kentucky is not for everybody and that he can’t hide players from the spotlight. I have been a bit surprised that Cal has pursued McDaniels given his “not for everybody” philosophy.

9. dctawk
    9:07 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

B4 I saw jack pilgrims’ slats statement, I was ready to reply that I’m just ready to for this recruitment to be over

10. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    9:30 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Unless a Duke insiders is watching the money leave Count Ketchup’s house and know where it’s going their opinion is useless. If they do know he’s going to Washington it’s cause he told K to shove the bag where the sun don’t shine cause I’m staying home.

11. kyrupp8
    9:45 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

I’d guess he’s waiting to see what bigs come back to uk. Washington seems to be a more static situation, he can see what he’d get there more so that at uk at the moment. At least this scenero gives me hope so it’s the one I choose!

12. wadmalawcat
    9:47 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Fed up with the 24 hour, non stop coverage and predictions of this kid. He’s apparently afraid of the spotlight and UK is not the place to hide. We want kids that want to be here. Do us all a favor and stop the posts until he makes a decision, which looks more and more like UW

• satcheluk
      9:53 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Just because you have the mind of a child, that can’t take the suspense, doesn’t mean the rest of us aren’t interested in the scuttlebut

• StillBP
      8:17 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Don’t like the headline? Don’t read the article. It’s pretty simple.

13. Smyrna_Cat
    9:52 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

I personally am pleased that we have another post about this recruiting that really doesn’t say anything. I have we have more of it tomorrow. Please?

• Dude, every single one of your comments is critical of the writing on KSR. Be quiet already. You never contribute anything to the conversation. This site isn’t perfect and I have no problem criticizing it myself at times, but the site is free. If you think it’s so bad, there’s the LHL site, 247, Sea of Blue, whatever. Maybe Maggard’s site is still out there.

• Smyrna_Cat
      10:21 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Gettlefinger. Sorry, I certainly don’t mean to upset you. I an just tired of the constant updates about nothing on this recruit. And there is no longer anything to contribute to this discussion. No one knows what he is going to do, we have had the same discussions for months, and we continue to have the same conversations again and again. This “BREAKING NEWS” – NOTHING HAPPENED is not all that helpful, is it?

Perhaps you should focus your comments on KSR to be a bit more prudent when it comes to the “breaking news” reports on this recruit. Or do you disagree with me? Tell me what I have said that is incorrect? What new conversation do you want to have about McDaniels? Love to have that conversation.

• This post was not labeled “Breaking News”, but even if it was, it’s the off season so recruiting is about all there is. Look, I don’t want to fight. Just have something positive to say now and then. Again, the site isn’t perfect, but I think it’s the best one for keeping up with my Cats.

Peace. BTW, do you live in Smyrna GA or TN?

• 4everUKblue
      7:02 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

CG is right Smyrna, you are a bit of a whiner and no one is forcing you to read any of these stories.

• StillBP
      8:19 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

It’s pretty easy to skip over an article once you see what it’s talking about. You already know it’s going to be repetitive, right? Because you know everything. You don’t have to click and critique every time. There’s really not a lot to talk about in sports right now…would you rather them post about politics?

14. KYFAN4LYFE
    9:52 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

It’s pretty simple. If you’re a momma’s boy, and can’t deal with being too far from home (or you let your parents make that decision for you), you pick Washington. If you want to be a part of something memorable, maybe win a NC, and be a lottery pick…you sign with UK.

• wadmalawcat
      10:12 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

^This

• Smyrna_Cat
      10:22 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Nothing wrong with wanting to say home. Just say that is what you are doing and get on with it.

• KYFAN4LYFE
      12:05 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

True Smyrna…but you know that’s not going to happen. If he “picks” Wash, he will have a prepared statement along the lines of “I chose to attend Washingtion because I felt it was the best place to help me reach my goal of playing in the NBA, blah, blah, blah…..”

15. 4everUKblue
    11:30 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Wanting to stay home does not make him a Mama’s boy or that his parents are making his decisions.

• 4everUKblue
      11:31 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

He has every right to take his time and make the decision on his time not anyone else’s.

• I agree. If he’s a one and done he’ll leave home soon enough. He has to do what’s best for him.

• KYFAN4LYFE
      12:07 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

If he’s lucky, he might get drafted by the Jazz or Blazers.

• StillBP
      8:21 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Some of our “fans” are so demanding, feeling like they deserve the kid to tell them what he’s going to do with his life. I’ve never seen adults who don’t even know someone so worried about their decisions about their future.

• makeitstop
      9:12 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

BP i had the same thought – it’s this kid’s life, he can make his decision when he wants. Smyrna has a point though, I think the constant coverage of his non-decision fuels the impatience. It’s one 18 y/o and bc of the 24/7 news cycle on here it’s “still no puff of white smoke” stories on the hour. My view is now, tell us when something change, and everyone will move on. It prolly is as simple as he’s waiting for the draft decisions bc that will impact minutes… why wouldn’t he?