Two Kentucky school systems suspend sports activities amid pandemic

Schools across the country are trying to restart athletics in hopes classes will be in session this fall, but at least two school districts in Kentucky are hitting the pause button amid the pandemic.

Last week, the Clay County school system suspended all sports activities for two weeks upon the recommendation of the health department and yesterday, Russell Independent Schools halted practice for two teams after a student tested positive for the coronavirus. Here’s the email Russell Independent Superintendent Dr. M. Sean Horne sent to students and parents:

Clay County High School Athletic Director Tommy Nicholson told the Manchester Enterprise that the move to suspend activities was a precautionary one, and that he doesn’t believe any students or coaches have tested positive.

“After that time, they (health department) will reassess the situation,” Nicholson said. “As of now, all activities are shut down for a minimum of 14 days and after that time the health department will see if new positive COVID-19 cases have increased, stabilized or decreased.”

I have a feeling we’re going to be seeing this more and more as the summer goes on.

11 Comments for Two Kentucky school systems suspend sports activities amid pandemic

1. UKBigBlueForever
    12:19 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

But viruses don’t exist according to one crazy doctor in Germany and 4everUKBlue..how could this be!?

2. UKBigBlueForever
    12:20 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t meant to post that to the old geezer. I told the soft serve vanilla ice cream man I would quit calling him names such as loony tune.

• 4everUKBlue
      12:27 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

Welcome back Tiny Dancer. Got your rainbow flag out? You don’t offend me, you only show your ignorance. The crazy doctor in Germany is a Microbiologist and Virologist, I’m guessing he’s a tad bit smarter than you, of course anything you don’t hear about on the TV he doesn’t exist, enjoy you perfect Disneyland world.

3. 4everUKBlue
    12:59 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

Come on UKBigBlueForever come out of your closet long enough to debunk these numbers, or debunk anything I’ve posted.

Overall Worldwide “Claimed Deaths” 362,000 as of 29-May.
    World population 7.9 billion
    Current YTD rate = 362,000/7.8E9 = 0.0046%.
    Converting to full year = 362,000/7.8E8*366days/150days, or 0.013% per year.
    So, even with all of the fudging, this is still only 1/73 of the yearly CDC mortality rate of 0.95% per year.

• UKBigBlueForever
      10:29 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

Why are you bringing this up for about the 1000000000000000th time?? I never said the Coronavirus was extremely deadly. I also said I wouldn’t be lining up in line to get a vaccine for it. I also have NEVER gotten the flu shot and never had the flu. Not sure what the point of that post was at all. I guess because you’re an old geezer and forgot the point of your post.

• UKBigBlueForever
      2:57 am July 1, 2020 Permalink

What’s wrong soft serve? No reply? I guess for someone your age your bedtime is around 6pm. Gnite loony tune

4. Lip Man 1
    1:00 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

A sober look at what is going on right now in college football. (Short answer: More chaos and confusion and no guarantees anybody will be playing)

5. UKfanforlife
    1:23 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

Isn’t it odd, that when KSR post political stories, they always seem to disable the comment section. For the record, I am shocked that a Matt Jones endorsement did not swing the votes needed to get his candidate a win over Wrong Path McGrath. Who was his candidate, again? I was sure that Matt could have scooped up all of the UK fan support and turned them into one solid political voting block. Guess I was wrong.

I can’t wait an see who Matt endorses next. Matter of fact, I am willing to bet the entire Kentucky fan base can’t even cheer on any of the teams, this year, until Matt’s next endorsement is released. Guess we, the fans, will have to wait until the next barrage of political ads come out, so Matt can tell us who we should vote for and what is best for the state and the country.

6. Jon
    10:13 pm June 30, 2020 Permalink

Isn’t it amazing how Republicans elect a black Attorney General, yet Democrats in Kentucky refuse to elect a black man to put up against Mitch?