Turns out Louisville’s long-time tennis coach was a bully

Louisville Athletics made the news again today, this time with allegations around its ousted men’s head tennis coach, Rex Ecarma.

According to the Courier-Journal, a three-month investigation determined Ecarma bullied and mistreated his players. He was fired on Friday after a 29-year run with the Cardinals.

The C-J’s story includes a couple examples of Ecarma’s behavior, including the time he reportedly said, “Whites are better than black people.” He is also accused of pressuring athletes to play through injuries, among other allegations.

After his firing, Ecarma said, “I’m deeply disappointed by the decision. I’ve been a Louisville Cardinal my entire entire adult life, as a ball boy, player, and for nearly 30 years as the Head Coach. My teams have been successful and my record, including my personnel file, has been spotless.”

He also said he wasn’t aware of any of the allegations against him.

If you know of anyone within UofL Athletics who does their job like a normal and decent human being, please contact us.

Article written by Drew Franklin

14 Comments for Turns out Louisville’s long-time tennis coach was a bully

1. runningunnin.454
    1:19 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

Only took 29 years?

2. klhfrenchy
    1:20 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

I grew up in Louisville and played tennis at a level where I was recruited by both Ecarma and then UK Coach Emery (I chose to play for the Cats of course), but I will say I think Rex was by and large a stand up guy. All coaches are slightly “eccentric” and he could be hard on guys, but all coaches at the D-1 level can give you an earful on any given day. It’s no different in tennis than in football.

The racial comment is something I never heard anything like and if true, is disappointing to say the least. I knew several players on UL’s team including a black player, but they all seemed to like their Coach well enough. I can see him making some off-color comments (pun intended) for sure, but doubt he harbored any true animosity.

Just my 2 cents.

• Goose
      1:41 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

Very cool that you played tennis at UK….Emery really took that program to new heights! I have met Cedric Kauffmann a few times at a few of UK’s tennis camps and really like him as well.

• klhfrenchy
      1:49 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

Thanks! Yea it was one of the best times of my life. Still talk to a majority of my teammates, and I love Coach Ced! One of the program’s all time greats as a player too. He came in as an assistant while I was there. He’s going to keep taking the program to great places. It’s hard in the SEC but we’re in great hands.

• dave1964
      4:30 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

I went to High School and graduated with Rex he was a great person then and I have no doubt still is, in NO way is he a bully.

3. RICKSVD
    3:18 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

Obviously louisville hates brown skinned coaches, racist university. I’m sure he cheated under jurch, cause ever coach that worked for Jurich cheated. Including Walz and Mcdonald.

4. Ridge Runner
    3:52 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

Uno, dos, one, two, tres, quatro
    Matty told Hatty about a thing she saw
    Had two big horns and a wooly jaw
    Wooly bully, wooly bully..

5. Cousins Fake Tooth
    4:14 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

Well these wussy kids these days, if you yell at them its considered being a bully.

• nocode96
      5:13 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

That’s not how this works, that’s not how any of this works. You can’t just belittle people anymore based off the single fact you’re older. No doubt you are old enough to know how to post comments, so surely you’ve been breathing long enough to know older does not equal wiser. Literally most of the idiots I know are 50 and over. Those are the ones that don’t believe in climate change, they think Cal is a bad coach, they think the president is just awesome, and they can’t even turn on a computer half the time. This “older generations know best” bs is gross and stupid. The older generation screwed everything up and now they yell at millennials because they’re trying to fix it.

• Saul T. Nuts
      6:13 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

Older certainly doesn’t mean better, but wisdom does come later in life (for some). Here’s some wisdom: nodode96 is a snowflake.

• TPACAT
      6:56 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

True dat, Saul T. I bet nocode can’t even change a tire (a la Matt Jones) – just stands on the side of the road and cries…

6. dcforuk
    6:49 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

Each situation is unique and entire people groups cannot be Broad brushed

Discrimination is defined as………

the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

If you are married, then you should know how stupid, inaccurate and inflammatory words like “always” and “never” are to use.

Each situation is unique.

7. Brad
    4:42 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

The fact you called him a snowflake proves his point lol

• TPACAT
      6:57 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Looks like Brad has trouble with tires also…