Tune in to today’s KSR (Thursday Show Thread)

ksr-logo

It’s time for another great edition of Kentucky Sports Radio radio with Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond. The guys are back for more basketball discussion and a look ahead to Saturday’s football game. Tune in.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

69 Comments for Tune in to today’s KSR (Thursday Show Thread)

1. ukchambliss
    9:57 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

I thought Matt was taking today off and this is only a 40 minute show due to the UK Hoops game?

• CATandMONKEY
      10:07 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

You are correct, sir.

• RealCatsFan
      10:09 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

When they said it was a 45 minute show, I just assumed that it was because Jurich had taken over the airwaves again (and stole our playbook).

• We can make the Show Thread a Live Blog for the Lady Kats game today!

• Realme
      10:24 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

I’m planning to listen.

• ukjaybrat
      10:30 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

i can’t watch because i have a lot of meetings starting in 10 minutes. but i will check in a couple times to see how it’s going

10:37 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

I can’t watch the Hoops team, but I can probably listen. Go Cats!

2. runningunnin.454
    10:03 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

Watched the Michigan State game again, using the slo-mo button; I wanted to check a couple of things, one being Bam’s fouls. Two were absolutely, completely, total BS. Cal says players have to adapt to the officiating…..there’s no way to adapt to the way that game and the Kansas-Duke game were called.
    The referees and the NCAA mandates are ruining the game. I’m ready to go back to only two refs. Referees should not be the dominate factor; we don’t want to watch FT shooting contests.

• Realme
      10:06 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

It’s Julius Randle all over again. He will be punished by the officials all season for being big and strong.

• ukjaybrat
      10:08 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

i was curious about the charge that he got when bam through him the ball i nthe paint. where cal yelled at fox. I thought in real tiem the defender was inside the restricted arc – which would mean it absolutely was not a charge no matter what. but the only replay they showed was a bad angle
      but no one said anything about it so i guess it was a legit call.

• ukjaybrat
      10:09 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

charge that he got when fox* through him the ball

• RealCatsFan
      10:11 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

I’ll help ukjay – “threw him the ball”. ๐Ÿ˜‰ OK, grammar class is over. ๐Ÿ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      10:16 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

And I completely agree with rg454 – the refs need to just let them play the game. If it gets too rough inside, then warn them and start calling fouls tighter. Personally, I would love to see them just take away the block/charge call. Either you play defense by going after the ball or you don’t. Of course, Duke and IU basketball would implode if they did this.

• I think Jay might be typing on a phone!

BTW, can someone explain the rule about the restricted arc to me? I guess I heard it when they first started it but if so I don’t remember. I guess I also wondered why, if they’re trying to make the middle less rough, couldn’t they use the parabola from the international game (do they still use that?)? I actually did watch some of the Olympic bball games but I guess I’m not that observant. ๐Ÿ˜›

• RealCatsFan
      10:17 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

ukjay, I don’t see how there was any way that the defensive player could have been set when they made that call. Both players were moving. Should have been a no-call. Still not the best pass, but a bad call nonetheless.

• ukjaybrat
      10:20 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

i haven’t been bitten by the moderator bug in a long time. almost thought i was immune, then i get modded on a completely harmless post… go figure.

3. CATandMONKEY
    10:11 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

KAT

4. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

This is when I wish we lived in Lexington – my kids would absolutely LOVE to get to watch a UK Hoops game!

5. RealCatsFan
    10:13 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

I loved Tyler for his moxie on the court, but I love KAT even more for his play on the court and his demeanor off the court.

• Realme
      10:14 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

I am not happy at having to choose, but I’ll give Karl a 1% advantage, just for being Karl.

• RealCatsFan
      10:19 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

My younger daughter would disagree with me vehemently. She loves Tyler, mainly because he is small like her. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• CATandMONKEY
      10:25 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

Karl is the type that would rise to the top in any endeavor he chose to pursue. CEO, physician, politician (God forbid) professor – he would be at or near the top.

• Realme
      10:26 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

I will always adore them both.

• RCF, I’m a “vertically challenged” person too, so I can commiserate! I love how Ulis made up for lack of size by being such a bulldog, but I also loved KAT for the same reasons you mentioned.

• ukjaybrat
      10:29 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

yeah i gotta go with KAT too. i love tyler, but KAT is just a special human being all around.

10:40 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

It’s hard to choose. That’s like being asked which is your favorite kid.

6. mapcatfan
    10:23 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

KAT. Not even close.

7. Realme
    10:36 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

This guy’s voice is torture.

10:41 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

Fan songs are completely terrible 99% of the time.

8. Realme
    10:41 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

That was a trick question because if Quade is picking UK, he will have already committed, just not announced.

10:46 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

I assume they were going with whoever has announced officially.

9. J-Dub421
    10:44 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

Thus far (with the exception of the announcer question) I am crushing the Wildcat Citizenship Test.

• Some of the ones who struggled should have made sure they had Google in front of them!

• runningunnin.454
      10:56 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

Got them all! I remember Ralph Hacker; he was on with Cawood for years before assuming the role when Cawood retired. One of their better collaborations was the year following the Chris Mills debacle when UK was given a TV ban; and the only way to follow the Cats was the radio. Ledford and Hacker could really make you feel like you were watching the game.

11:02 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

I can remember listening to games on the radio during the probation years, but I was a little kid. I remember Ledford, but not Hacker.

• runningunnin.454
      11:14 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

I remember Ledford when I went to all the games in Memorial (Like Chris G said, truly hallowed ground).
      Cawood was like a super star. He would come in and take his place across from the student section.
      On the signal of the cheerleaders, the entire student section would yell, “Hello, Cawood”. He would smile and wave to us.

11:19 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

That’s awesome! We’ve been in Rupp my whole life, but I went to BBM in Memorial when I was in school at UK, and I’ve been to some ladies games there.

10. Realme
    10:48 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

I’d like to go to a women’s game, but no one ever wants to go with me.

• I would like to go just to see a game in Memorial. Hallowed ground for UK fans.

11:03 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

I usually go to one of the big games, like when we play U of L. It’s always packed and rowdy for that game!

• Booby Petrino
      11:43 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

I found one friend that would go. They are a bit obnoxious and a little embarrassing with the comments that they yell but that is the only person I can consistently get to go so we bought season tix together. Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it (like when they yell the F word with little kids around) but overall I’m glad we go to almost all the games. The mouth has gotten better as I’ve continuously asked them to settle down.

11:47 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

Our Hoops team under Coach Mitchell is pretty exciting to watch. They play fast and really get after it on both ends of the floor.

• Realme
      11:48 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

BP, you need a t-shirt with an arrow that says “I’m not with him/her”. ๐Ÿ™‚ Cussing is front of kids is bad, but I’d rather go to a game with them than with someone who just sits there and knits or whatever.

• Booby Petrino
      1:06 pm November 17, 2016 Permalink

ha ha yes, good idea Real

11. Realme
    10:52 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

This announcer acts like playing at 11 is the hardest thing a team has ever had to do.

12. J-Dub421
    11:07 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

If the rest of our Hoops team can play defense, and give a little help to Epps and Akator, those two can likely carry us pretty far.

• Realme
      11:14 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

Hope so. Want Epps to have a special senior year.

11:22 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

Epps and Akator are both beasts. If Epps plays like she’s capable of, she should be in the running for player of the year. I still can’t believe Akator transferred to UK from UConn.

• Booby Petrino
      11:44 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

We picked up some decent girls in the off season. Hardin is a shooter…I’ve been extremely impressed with her so far.

11:48 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

Cann has been pretty good so far today, and Roper. I was nervous after all the defections over the summer, but we seem to have come out of it okay.

• Realme
      11:51 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

I think they might feel the defections more next year than this one.

12:02 pm November 17, 2016 Permalink

Akhator will get a double double today for sure. She already has 13 points and 7 rebounds.

12:30 pm November 17, 2016 Permalink

And I was right, 3rd straight double double for Akhator.

• Realme
      12:31 pm November 17, 2016 Permalink

Sounds like she gets one every game.

• Booby Petrino
      1:10 pm November 17, 2016 Permalink

yeah after this year we lose Epps, Akhator and Hardin. The first two obviously hurt more than the last, but like I said earlier Hardin has been a solid addition. but everyone else will be back, barring another off season implosion.

• Booby Petrino
      1:14 pm November 17, 2016 Permalink

but I should add that Anyagaligbo should be a good replacement for Ahkator. She had to sit this year out due to transfer rules, but at least she’s already got her foot in the door with practice and should be solid next year. Idk much about our signees.

13. Realme
    11:08 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

I just answered the phone with “good afternoon”, since KSR is over my brain thought it was later.

14. J-Dub421
    11:20 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

17-9 Cats at the end of the 1st quarter.

15. J-Dub421
    11:44 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

Cats up 44-20 at the half. Go Cats!

• Realme
      11:49 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

Good game for a bunch of kids/prospective future adult fans to experience.

11:52 am November 17, 2016 Permalink

And maybe a few future Wildcats as well! ๐Ÿ™‚

16. J-Dub421
    12:06 pm November 17, 2016 Permalink

How’s this for defense? We’re currently holding New Hampshire to 18.4% field goal shooting.

17. J-Dub421
    12:21 pm November 17, 2016 Permalink

Will New Hampshire break 30 points by the end of the 3rd quarter?

12:22 pm November 17, 2016 Permalink

Answer: No.

Cats 74-29 at the end of the 3rd.

• Realme
      12:25 pm November 17, 2016 Permalink

๐Ÿ™‚

12:44 pm November 17, 2016 Permalink

Cats 92-43 final score. That was a beating.

18. Realme
    12:35 pm November 17, 2016 Permalink

After this we all start the new football podcast and show thread that, right? Just kidding.

12:45 pm November 17, 2016 Permalink