Tune in to KSR! (Thursday Show Thread)

It’s another exciting morning on Kentucky Sports Radio radio. Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Shannon The Dude are back for two more hours of college basketball talk and other nonsense, including their thoughts on Rick Pitino’s Wednesday afternoon press conference from New York.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

100 Comments for Tune in to KSR! (Thursday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    9:53 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Whew, tired this morning; but, it was worth it…another Miracle On Ice. USA USA USA.

2. ukbradstith
    10:13 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Parks and Rec is fantastic. Nick Offerman is a national treasure.

3. Realme
    10:24 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

So did Pitino steal the “feel sorry for me because I only can see out of one eye” thing from Vitale?

10:26 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know, but he looks terrible. Like he aged ten years in a couple months. He looks like he should be out standing on a corner with a cardboard sign. I guess stress ages you.

10:27 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

I liked the part where he took credit for the 98 Championship, after he had left.

• For all my guffawing at what happened to UL, I still can’t believe this is the same guy who “took us from ashes to stardust” (quote from Cawood Ledford).

And I do feel bad for the players & fans who didn’t support or take part in all those shenanigans.

10:48 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

I don’t feel sorry for the players at all. The ones who didn’t participate knew what was going on and looked the other way, which makes them complicit.

• ukjaybrat
      10:49 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

exactly !!!

and to all the people that say they don’t like vacating wins because it’s not fair to the players that didn’t participate… what are they supposed to do? punish the university NOW? punish players that LITERALLY had nothing to do with what happened back then? let them off completely because punishing them is unfair? vacating wins is the ONLY way they can “punish” people that are long gone from the school.

• I agree JDub, but I’m mostly talking about players who have come in since then.

• Booby Petrino
      11:36 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

He did just have emergency eye surgery. Not that I feel sorry for him, just saying he actually might only be able to see out of 1 eye. Torn retina sounds painful.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

America should have said “enough is enough” about school shooting after Sandy Hook. I don’t have a lot of faith that meaningful changes will be made after this latest tragedy. If the slaughter of 20+ first and second graders can’t move our elected officials to action, I don’t know what will.

• Arm teachers & administrators who are willing and able to get the proper training.

10:29 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

cg, maybe we need to look at that, but that opens another can of worms if a student overpowers a teacher and gets their gun, or a teacher overreacts to a situation and shoots an innocent bystander. Maybe we add armed guards to all the schools and pay for it with a tax on ammunition. Probably going to take a number of common sense actions on many fronts to cut down on this.

• Realme
      10:30 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

I agree. Neither side has done ANYTHING to try and stop this problem. If changing gun control laws won’t solve it, then why aren’t Republicans doing something else? If gun control laws will solve it, why didn’t the democrats do something when they were in power? Both sides have not made any attempts to solve this whatsoever.

10:37 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Arming and training teachers is the best solution. It won’t cost anything and if people knew there were armed people in the building they would be less likely to go in and open fire.

• And when I say training, it can be an intensive NRA type course, not just a quick 1 or 2 hour course or some such.

10:51 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Teachers don’t want to be armed, or at least all the teachers I’ve talked to don’t. They are teachers, they want to teach. They don’t want to be armed guards as well. Also, we can’t fund basic school supplies like paper and pencils, or teachers’ pensions, but now we’re going to pay for guns and gun training?

• ukjaybrat
      10:53 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

yeah J-dub is right on with that. the money is not there to train and arm teachers. even if they wanted to, which most of them do not.

10:54 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

I agree. The “training” I went through to get my concealed carry was a joke. You only have to be able to hit a target 7 feet away 11 out of 20 times. I think everyone should carry a gun and be properly trained to do so. Because no matter what we do we will never be able to stop shootings from happening. Trying to ban guns is not the answer. Guns are banned in schools and look what happens. No one can defend themselves. I couldn’t imagine being in a situation like that with no way of defending myself. It would be terrible.

10:57 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

I do see what your saying J-dub. But I know teachers that wish they could carry. I think we should let the ones that want to carry there own weapons that they pay for and the school could pay for the training.

• Yes, some of them would pay for their own training, etc. if allowed.

11:03 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

And even if it was just one teacher in every school. The difference that would make would be amazing. They would actually be able to take action instead of just sitting there helpless.

11:11 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

From what I’ve read, there was an armed guard at the school in Florida. This is not a deterrent. Also, if congress and the president really think that arming teachers is a viable solution here, then why can’t you bring guns into federal buildings? You can’t bring a gun into the White House, and it’s crawling with highly trained secret service agents and there are security cameras everywhere.

11:16 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

I own a firearm and have a CC, but I sure as hell don’t want to have to be carrying it at all times. I carry it if I feel like I will be in a particularly shady situation, like going to an unfamiliar area to buy something off of CL, or going to a bad part of town. I realize that bad things can happen anywhere at any time, but I don’t want to feel like I’m living in the wild west and it’s high noon.

11:16 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

But that’s my argument J-dub. I think you should be allowed to carry a gun anywhere. Because if a bad guy wants to take a gun in and open fire somewhere, he is going to. It takes a good guy with a gun to stop them. I have mine on me at all times and I assure you I will never open fire on anyone unless I have to stop them from killing someone else. Carrying guns doesn’t make things more dangerous. It makes things safer.

11:25 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Go try to walk into a courthouse with your gun or an airport and see what happens. They will confiscate it. Also, these are places filled with “good guys with guns” but they still are worried about people with guns. If someone wants drugs, they are going to get drugs. Why aren’t people pushing to legalize all drugs?

11:31 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Yes, they are worried about bad guys with guns. As everyone should be. That’s why good guys should carry guns. It should be legal to take a gun anywhere. Because once again if a bad guy wants to take a gun in somewhere. He’s gonna do it. And if guns aren’t allowed in the building then everyone in there is a deer in the headlights just waiting to be killed. And also, they are trying to legalize marijuana. That’s a drug.

• Kernel Sanders
      12:46 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

Anybody remember the shooting of the 5 police officers in Dallas in 2016? In accordance with Texas law, there were several citizens present carrying concealed weapons. The cops were confused as to who the shooter was, and a lot of the people carrying weapons apparently realized they could be mistaken for the shooter, so many simply handed over their weapons during the incident. And this: “Chief Brown said that police efforts to identify the gunman were made more difficult by the presence of up to thirty civilians openly carrying rifles during the protest, which is legal in Texas. Brown said, “We’re trying as best we can as a law enforcement community to make it work so that citizens can express their Second Amendment rights. But it’s increasingly challenging when people have AR-15s slung over their shoulder and they’re in a crowd. We don’t know who the good guy is versus the bad guy when everyone starts shooting.” In an interview after the shooting, Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings said that he supported changing state law to restrict the public carrying of rifles and shotguns so that the police could distinguish between suspects and civilians more easily during crises”

1:11 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

Yes. And what about the hundreds of other incidents where no one was carrying a weapon and just had to sit there and wait to die?

5. There is no law preventing studies on gun violence. The CDC’s mission is supposed to be DC, not GV. Yeesh.

• Realme
      10:32 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, that was a weird argument. Should have said the gov should create a CDC-like approach to mass killings.

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Actually, there is the Dickey amendment (1996) that prohibits the CDC from using allocated funds to promote or advocate gun control.
      So, the CDC doesn’t have the resources to act. Obama tried to repeal the amendment a couple of years ago.

• BTownUKFan
      10:36 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

You are correct, there are no laws preventing gun violence studies. The problem is that there is no money. The GOP defunded these types of studies at the behest of the NRA.

• I should qualify that since I made such an emphatic statement: I don’t know all the details on that law, but from what I remember, it was strictly to prevent the CDC from studying guns because it was a political football for them. I don’t believe it totally prevented the government from funding a study, but I may be wrong.

• Okay, you guys clarified that somewhat. My position is the CDC should “stick ta diseases”. If the government wants to fund a study, it should be balanced and not one sided, and it wasn’t in the CDC’s case.

• I’ll make this one my (probably) last comment, but we fought a Revolutionary War over this. It wasn’t just about taxation without representation. See here:

It’s a bit of a long read, but worth it.

10:55 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

One person tried to sneak a bomb on a plane in their shoe, and now we all have to take our shoes off to go through airport security. There hasn’t been a meaningful study on gun violence since 1995 because the NRA has squashed them all.

11:04 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

cg, I think at least 85% of the public are not interested at all in eliminating ALL gun ownership. Most of us just don’t see the reason to own weapons that were designed for military use with high capacity magazines and the ability to be modified fairly easily to be fully automatic or to behave that way with a simple bump stock. People should be allowed to own hand guns for personal protection, shotguns and rifles for hunting, and antique guns for collections. IF someone wants to own a military grade weapon, then they should have to be on some type of national registry that comes with an extensive vetting process, including the purchase of some kind of liability insurance. I know that the NRA will argue that ANY type of gun control will lead to the confiscation of all firearms and a totalitarian government, but I just don’t see that happening the way our government is set up, short of a military coup. My opinion – yours may differ.

11:12 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

What makes an AR 15 a military style rifle? There are hunting rifles that shoot the same size rounds (.223) and can be equipped with extended clips such as a thirty round or fifty round. And are also semi- automatic and can shoot just as fast as an AR 15. But, because it doesn’t look as “scary” as an AR, people think you can’t use them to kill someone? It makes no sense to take away what you call “military style” rifles. They are no more dangerous than hunting rifles.

11:17 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Why do you need a 50 round clip for a hunting rifle? Is the deer hunting that good in your parts?

11:23 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

You don’t need one for hunting. What I’m saying is that you can do the same thing to hunting rifles as you can to military style rifles. I hunt with and AR-15 and AK-47 sometimes. Trying to take them would be pointless. Also, a killer can get a hot gun off the dark web or black market easily so if we took away all guns except single shot rifles and handguns then the bad guys would have an advantage by breaking the law to get a semi-auto weapon. Creating laws isn’t going to help anything because guess what, bad guys don’t obey the law.

11:28 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

The “bad guys don’t obey the law” is a stupid and terrible argument when it comes to guns. If that’s your position, then why do we have any laws at all? I could make that argument about anything.

11:36 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

It’s a perfectly good argument. Why can people not see that there is no way to stop people from killing people. If they want to kill someone then they can plan it out and do it. We have to be ready for those situations. The world isn’t rainbows and butterflies. Bad things will always happen no matter how many laws you want to put in place. Killing will never stop because there is evil in this world. Taking advantages away from the good is not smart. I don’t care how many degrees someone has or how much studying they have done on guns. You will never ever be able to stop the evil things from happening. So be ready when they do.

• JDub, the point is that there are not enough cops to stop all the bad guys. “No guns” signs don’t stop the bad guys. That’s the point.

RCF, the 2nd Amendment wasn’t about deer hunting as the article I posted shows.

Also, there are MANY of our politicians who agree with this article, but they won’t admit it:
      “Repeal the 2nd Amendment”

• Kernel Sanders
      1:41 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

No, I’m not scared of guns. But I do fear weapons that are meant to kill humans in large numbers and in a short amount of time, with no logical reason to be so widespread. Silly me. I should just watch the near daily carnage of mass shootings and say “well bad things will always happen”.

• BTW, I appreciate the spirit that everyone has maintained in this thread. It’s not always easy to keep it civil. Thanks guys!

• Realme
      11:42 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

I don’t fall on either side of this argument. Just curious here. Those of you who feel no gun laws should be added or changed:

How do you reconcile the fact that mass shootings are much more prevalent in America than in other countries? Anti gun people seem to have an argument that the fact that guns are so readily available is at least a factor here.

• Stuck on Blue
      11:42 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

cats646, I agree that criminals will be criminals, but I don’t believe that laws regarding the sell and ownership of guns is pointless. By that logic, rapists are going to rape and murders are going to murder, and because we can’t stop this from happening entirely, we should just give up and not have any regulation on those crimes? Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with gun ownership, but I think some common sense should go along with that. YMMV

• Realme, my main thought is that the Florida shooter was known to the FBI, and maybe local police as it turns out. Also, what Trump recently proposed about background checks have added him to the database and he wouldn’t have gotten the gun(s), at least not at the local gun shop.

11:47 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

After the Oklahoma city bombing, certain types of fertilizer are now heavily controlled. No one is trying to take away your guns, just certain types of guns that make it really easy to kill a lot of people in a short amount of time. You can’t go buy a tank or an RPG. I want better and more comprehensive background checks for ALL gun sales. No more private sales, no more flea markets, etc. with NO background checks, same for online sales. I also think if you have guns you should have to carry liability insurance. We have insurance for everything else, so why not lethal weapons?

• Also, the quote from (I think) Ben Franklin: something like “Those who are willing to trade freedom for security deserve neither”.

11:47 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Ha. I’m not saying lets stand back and let the bad guys do what they want. I’m sayin we need to be able to stop them and laws aren’t going to do that. A bullet will.

11:51 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

And also. You can kill just as many people in a school or a mall etc. with a handgun as you can with a rifle. You can carry all kinds of magazines for a handgun and can shoot them just as fast as a rifle. So why are you not arguing to ban handguns as well?

11:54 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

All countries have people with mental health issues. The US is the only developed country with a mass shooting problem.

12:01 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

OK, let me try it this way. If we had, say, ten or fifteen teachers carrying handguns, unless they saw him coming, if he has an AR-15 with a large capacity magazine and a bump stock, he could still do a LOT of damage before someone takes him out, especially if he targets the teachers and other adults first. Yes, I do agree that he wouldn’t have free reign to roam the school killing people unchallenged, but if we let weapons like that fall into the wrong hands, short of having fortress like security and multiple heavily armed guards, you won’t stop them from killing somebody. The big problem is that the genie got out of the bottle long ago. There are so many weapons like this floating around on the free market now that it is pretty simple to find one and buy it completely outside of any background checks. But that doesn’t mean that we can’t take measures on many fronts to make this scenario less likely – enhanced security, better background checks, better resources for mental health, etc.

12:05 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

cg, I do agree with you that the ball was dropped regarding the kid who did the shooting. That is inexcusable. But that wasn’t the case in Las Vegas, Sandy Hook, and many others.

12:16 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

So you really think one untrained kid with an AR-15 could take out 15 teachers with handguns? Even if he had training that would be an extremely difficult task to complete. Just admit it. It would help the problem a LOT. There was a situation a couple years ago, I can’t remember when or where it was but there was two terrorist with AK-47 and one armed guard with a handgun stopped them both. A handgun is just as deadly as a rifle if you know how to use it.

12:17 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

And I also know that it completely looks like I made that armed guard story up but I swear I didn’t. Ha

12:22 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

Give toddlers guns so they can’t get killed in daycare. All those first graders at Sandy Hook just needed some guns.

12:27 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

Really J-dub? Your gonna go that far? You sound pretty desperate to win an argument. So I’ll leave you with this. If you gave first graders guns it would hurt more than it would help. But you give all of there teachers guns and some training and there might not have been one death. It’s time you start realizing the world is not always a pretty place. Be ready for the bad things to happen is the best we can do. Grow up and think a little bit before you type something as stupid as you just did. Have a great day.

• Kernel Sanders
      1:00 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

“All” teachers do not want guns. So you justify these mass shootings by saying “the world is not a pretty place”? I’d like to see you tell that face to face to a 16 year old Student from Parkland. Speaking of stupid posts, you just nailed it. Australia last had a mass shooting incident in 1996 I believe. After 35 people were killed, they passed stricter gun control laws. The result? Not one mass shooting since. So either they passed sensible legislation, or by absurd logic, the U.S. Simply has about 10,000% more enraged, disturbed individuals since it’s not the guns, it’s the crazy people. But of corse, that’s not the case. Cuba is quite an interesting study…they don’t allow guns, and if I remember correctly, not even the police carry. Bathe result is next to nothing in violent crime. No, I’m not a commie and yes, Cuba still has non violent crime and a host of social issues. Just sayin. We will never eliminate all danger. Most reasonable people believe in the right to self defend and hunt. But really, think of the absurdity of giving as many people as possible weapons. Just ridiculous.

1:14 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

Your clearly scared of guns. More good guys with guns = less bad guys with guns. Can you understand that or do I need to give you some reference of a country that isn’t ours?

1:16 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

And I never said all teachers want guns. But I know several that would love to be able to carry in school. You have to admit that it would help a lot.

• Kernel Sanders
      1:38 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

Brilliant logic. Reminds me of someone’s attitude toward nuclear weapons. Yeah, let’s just allow every despot in every country proliferate nuclear weapons. Heck, just let the U.S. start handing them out. Because the more countries we arm, the safer we’ll all be.

1:53 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

Actually I don’t think anyone should have nuclear weapons. Good job tryin to switch up the subject because you have no answer. Keep trying.

6. Realme
    10:27 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Thamel and Forde will continue to milk their “sources” for rumors to report as long as people keep paying attention to them. Let me know if they ever report one single piece of actual information.

• runningunnin.454
      10:43 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Yep, the FBI is not going to leak information to a couple of sportswriters. And, what would the NCAA do…scuttle college basketball? And, risk the severe self-flagellation of actually looking at Dook and UNCheat?
      They would file any such information under “Don’t want to know”.

10:57 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

I still say that if UK and Cal were involved it would have leaked by now.

• ClutchCargo
      11:02 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

I feel pretty confident in saying that Thameltoe and Forde are each others’ “sources.

11:46 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Clutch, Thameltoe and Forde are probably each other’s “something else” too. 😀

7. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

So who lies the most, Pitino, Trump, or Hillary? Tough call on that one!

• 502CodeRed & DennyC. 😉

• Realme
      10:46 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

They all have the same disease where if they are forming words, they are telling lies.

• Actually, 502 & Denny admit they’re UL fans. The UL trolls posing at UK fans don’t.

• secrick
      10:56 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Democrats and Republicans.

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Some of the trolls are juvenile; at first they say “us”, “we”, and “our” trying to pose as UK fans. Then they let it slip that they’re UL fans; and, now that UL has crashed, they jump on the Dook bandwagon. They actually have no affinity for any college…considering their poor grammar and rudimentary grasp of punctuation, they couldn’t get within a mile of any college campus.

11:07 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

rg, I get the feeling that a lot of them aren’t even out of middle school, or didn’t graduate from it.

11:13 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

I hope most of them are still in elementary school, because if they are adults with writing skills that are that bad, then there is no hope for our country.

• They could make an A at UNCheat! Ha! 🙂

• For their 1 rambling incoherent paragraph no less!

8. RealCatsFan
    10:57 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Kind of shocked that Pitino didn’t play the “on the day that Billy Graham died” card.

9. RealCatsFan
    11:06 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

So is our 3-point defense really that good? It just doesn’t look like we play some kind of smothering defense that keeps them from getting a shot off. Almost seems like we just get lucky sometimes that open shooters simply miss. Maybe it has something to do with our length affecting them and getting in their heads.

11:16 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Our guys have long arms and go rushing in a get a hand in shooters faces. Go look at the three point shooting percentages for teams we play, and compare it to when they shoot against us. Percentages take a big dip against us, and that has been very consistent lately. Once or twice could be an anomaly, but when it happens to every team there is a pattern.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:08 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Matt should raffle off a free trip for a UK fan to go to Harold’s house to sit down and watch a UK game with him. I would enter!

• Realme
      11:15 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Especially if his wife promises to fuss when we get too excited.

11:40 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Our dog usually runs and hides when Mrs RCF and I get loud during a game. 🙂 But of course, she (the dog) is a big wuss.

• runningunnin.454
      11:47 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

My wife and the dogs head for another room when I get wound up. Of course, my wife can’t watch the close games; consequently, she hasn’t watched many this year Haha.

11:50 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

I’ve scared the crap out of our cats many times.

• Realme
      11:53 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

I have a scar on my leg from scaring a cat that was sleeping on my lap. Nowadays if they don’t disappear on their own I push them off of me.

11. Realme
    11:18 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

I’m sure Top Chef can figure out how to plan their own show without Matt’s help.

11:30 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

The current season of Top Chef is filmed in Colorado. What food is Colorado known for? Nothing.

• runningunnin.454
      11:42 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Colorado is know for rocky mountain oysters…ha ha ha.
      Maybe venison, and Mary Jane brownies.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:46 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Rocky Mountain Oysters?

11:49 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Testicles, C&M.

12. King Kelly Coleman
    11:24 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Benedictine is a spread made of Cucumbers and cream cheese.

• runningunnin.454
      11:29 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Also, a liqueur used in a Singapore Sling.

11:29 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Exactly. Matt and company don’t know jack about food. Add food to the list along with music that Matt knows nothing about.

11:41 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

I think the only food Drew is an expert on is Taco Bell, and Shannon could probably expound on the virtues of Mountain Dew and Doritos. 🙂

• CATandMONKEY
      11:47 am February 22, 2018 Permalink

Amen, jdub!

13. UKGrad1965
    2:49 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

I am a 1965 UK grad who was born and raised in the state of Kentucky. I am proud of my state and its accomplishments; and as such tend to support teams of all state institutions. I first support the UK Wildcats and then teams of other Kentucky colleges and universities, including University of Louisville in many cases. For Kentucky to be a great state, its citizens must support its state teams and institutions. In our house here in South Carolina, we support UK; then Clemson and South Carolina; then whoever is playing North Carolina or Duke; then other teams of the SEC and other teams of Kentucky colleges and universities. Living in South Carolina, I get most of my UK news from sites such as KSR or CatsPause. As such, I “cringe” when I read “half literate and crude” comments from UK fans. Persons making them only tend to belittle themselves, our fan base, and our University. Yes, UL and Pitino got deserved punishment; but remember, “UK once narrowly avoided the Death Penalty ourselves”.