Tune in to KSR! (Thursday Show Thread)

Today on the radio medium of Kentucky Sports Radio, Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond will discuss all of the hottest topics in the land, ranging from next season’s opener against Duke, Zion Williamson’s upcoming decision, Seth Greenberg’s comments and much, much more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

93 Comments for Tune in to KSR! (Thursday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Parity= SEC teams knocking each other off= bunch of losses.

• RealCatsFan
      10:10 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, part of me worries that this will cause a lot of SEC teams to drop out of the Top 25 and support the common assumption with the media that the SEC is weak. We should get 6 or 7 teams in the tournament this year, unless there is a lot of cannibalism in-league. Hopefully the other conferences will have a lot of the same thing going on.

• Realme
      10:11 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Has the national narrative that the SEC is awful changed any? It should have by now, but I don’t know what the perception is right now.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

I think it has changed…several analysts are predicting 7 teams in the tournament; but, it may be hard to have top 20 teams; the polls seem to overreact to losses.
      Important to protect your home court.

2. Realme
    10:14 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Analyzing players performance is one thing, but I hate it when people put moral judgments in there. Lazy, selfish, uncoachable. Things like that are only assumptions, unless said by a coach who is actually in there.

• Realme
      10:15 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

*unless it’s Grayson Allen. I am confident he’s a true ahole.

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

I agree….you can point out deficiencies in a player’s game without getting personal…and mean spirited.

10:33 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

I have a problem with Greenburg taking cheap shots at our players. We get enough of that junk from the rest of the media. Also, as I posted in that article yesterday, if Greenburg wants to talk more about Villanova and Purdue, then do so. No one is stopping him. Don’t whine about something that you yourself are doing Greenburg.

3. J-Dub421
    10:35 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

I am extremely happy to be getting Quade back. We need him.

• Realme
      10:35 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Yeah. Phew.

• RealCatsFan
      10:39 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Yep, in the worst way. Would like to see Baker before the end of the season, but that might be asking too much. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a medical redshirt for him. He will be a multi-year player if he doesn’t transfer at some point.

Speaking of which – I wasn’t really worried about the new transfer rules affecting our basketball season as much as football, but now I worry that Cal won’t be able to keep the Darius Miller type “glue” players who hang around for 3 or 4 years. We have already seen kids like Matthews transfer, and this will make it that much easier.

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

I don’t think schools/coaches should try to restrict legitimate transfers; but they should have to sit out a year…don’t like the idea of this new rule at all; sounds like chaos.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:35 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Shannon with another blast from the 90’s! Wish I could go back… πŸ˜‰

• 4everUKblue
      10:39 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Take me back to the 70’s or even 80’s.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

50’s to 60’s, you whippersnappers…..ha ha ha.

10:44 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Good thing is, with online streaming, you can listen to all the music from whatever time period you want. πŸ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      10:44 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

4everUK, are you talking musically, or just life in general? I was actually talking life in general, although the music was awesome too (IMO). But I think a lot of people are going to pick a time when things kind of intersected for them on an upswing – health, youth, income, and what was going on in your life.

• 4everUKblue
      10:45 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

I could do 50’s, 60’s but I had more fun in the 70’s, 80’s…

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

rg, I have often wished I had the ability to time-travel back to an era like that, just to experience it for a few days. I have often thought that a cool amusement park would be to simulate different eras in American history. For example, you could pick the 50’s, and that part of the park would have cars and buildings / furniture from that era, and everyone there would be dressed appropriately and talking about the things that were going on during that time. Can you tell it’s a little slow at work this morning? πŸ˜€

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Oh, I was talking cutting edge music….in reality, life in the 60’s sucked.

• 4everUKblue
      10:50 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

RCF, I was talking life in general, during the 70’s 80’s life was good for me, income was good, money went further, it was a simpler time and a lot of fun. In the 50’s I was a kid on a farm and life was really simple. We never locked our doors, didn’t have to.

• RealCatsFan
      10:50 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

4everUK, I get the feeling that you probably came of age in the 70’s/80’s, about a decade ahead of me. The 90’s were fun for me because I was in my late 20’s/early 30’s – had my own house, cars, boat, good job, and no worries to speak of. Every week was planning what lake or party to go to for the weekend. I love my kids, but it sure was simple back then!

• 4everUKblue
      10:54 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

RCF you’re right…..I had the most fun in the 70’s 80’s, maybe too much fun if that’s possible.

• RCF, I recently stumbled upon a web article where they posted a bunch of photos from Coney Island (New York, not Cincy) from like the 20’s or the turn of the century, the beach and the amusement park. It was really fascinating. I would link it if I could remember the site, but you might find it with the old Google.

• RealCatsFan
      11:23 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

cg, I found a Facebook page that has a bunch of old pictures from Louisville from different eras in the past. I find them fascinating.

11:23 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Try The World of Tomorrow at Disney World. That’s quite the blast from the past.

• Realme
      11:26 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Lot of good old timey Kentucky stuff here:

5. Matt wanted to look less orange with the makeup because he was afraid of looking like Trump. Ha! Just kidding.

That call about Trump’s weight was pretty funny, although the caller didn’t mean for it too.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Dang Matt – you of all people should know that we hang banners at UK. It’s down the road where they cut them down. πŸ˜€

7. Hoosier wildcat steve
    10:42 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

I think Champions Classic next year will help UK get Zion the exposure to rocket him to stardom.

8. Realme
    10:44 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Do you think Ky Joe is still alive?

10:46 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

I would think so. I think someone would have told KSR if he wasn’t.

• Realme
      11:14 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

It’s just so weird he hasn’t written any terrible songs about SGA or Quade.

11:22 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

The season is young, give it time. πŸ˜‰ Or maybe he’s still pining for Willie…

• DrSayre
      11:23 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

hmm… I thought he was pretty active on twitter, but I cant find it

9. Did John Short just drop the mic? You go John! LOL! πŸ™‚

10. J-Dub421
    10:48 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Linger, great song.

11. I said this last night about Greenberg’s comments (2 separate comments):

“But *some* of those veteran teams never do anything in the tourney. Nova has numerous early exits. They won it all a couple years ago (thank goodness or UNCheat would have 7 now), then early exit again the next year. Like Tyler said, he’s not totally wrong, but he’s not right on every point either.”

“I see your points Bob, but a couple years ago Virginia was being praised for a veteran team that played amazing defense, then, early exit in March.

You’re absolutely right about ratings though. The blue bloods draw them, others don’t, regardless of sport. If the WWL had it’s way, the Yankees and Red Sox would play each other 162 times a year, or at least every Sunday night.”

10:59 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

He kind of had a point, but again, Greenburg can talk about whatever teams he wants. No one is holding a gun to his head making him talk about UK, Duke, etc. And we are still very much a work in progress, since we have the youngest team basically ever. Cal has a history of getting his teams ready for March. I don’t expect a finished product in January. Also no one outside of Virginia, Villanova, and Purdue fans care about any of those teams. They all play a boring brand of basketball. UK and Duke draw eyeballs and put butts on the seats.

• RealCatsFan
      11:04 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

J-Dub, well, you sure can’t call our style of basketball the other night “boring”, but I’ll take a little bit of boring now and then. “Chaotic” might be the fitting description of where we are right now. πŸ˜‰

11:05 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

We’ll get there. Cal is good at this coaching thing.

12. secrick
    10:51 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Zone defense has me worried, not ours but the other guys.

11:00 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

With Quade coming back, it worries me less. Kid is a pretty good shooter.

13. MATT OR SHANNONE HAVE GOT TO FIND THOSE CALLS DREW MADE TO FERRELL!!!! That would be AWESOME!

14. Realme
    10:57 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Eeek. I don’t like that stat at all.

11:01 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

I do because it’s going to force Knox and Hami to play better defense or find themselves taking a seat.

• runningunnin.454
      11:09 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Hami should be a defensive gauntlet; but, I doubt that will ever be Knox’s forte…I’ll take offense and rebounding from him.

11:21 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

I think Knox will get better. His offense has been good the last few games and he rebounds pretty well. He was getting back on defense last game, but then he didn’t know what to do when he got there and would just kind of stand and watch the guy shoot.

• runningunnin.454
      11:24 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

None of the guys knew what to do on defense…that game was an aberration. One of the worst called games in history…even the announcers were wondering if the teams would have enough players to finish the game.

15. Realme
    11:19 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

HA HA HA Shannon. Best intro song for Greenberg ever.

11:21 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

I got a phone call, what was the song?

• Realme
      11:23 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

B*&^% better have my money. (I don’t know if that’s the actually title).

11:24 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Lol!

• 4everUKblue
      11:24 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Yep that’s the title.

16. runningunnin.454
    11:22 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

“I’m talking from a coach’s perspective”,
    Sure, Seth…whatever you say.

• Realme
      11:24 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Seth needs to calm down.

• 4everUKblue
      11:25 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

He’s gonna be in for it when he gets to game day….

11:26 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Seth hasn’t coached in years. Also he specifically singled out UK. Trying to say he wasn’t talking about UK specifically is ludicrous.

• Realme
      11:28 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

What he’s saying is more appropriately worded today, but I don’t know why he’s been yelling at Matt.

• DrSayre
      11:32 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

I agree Realme. And honestly I kinda thought that’s what he was trying to say yesterday. But I have no idea why he was yelling haha

11:34 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

He tried to say that UK fans have a persecution complex. He’s right, we do because everyone hates us. Every other fan base hates us, and the media constantly takes pot-shots at us and Cal. If I had a dollar for every time someone has called Cal a cheater or said that we’re ruining college basketball, etc. I’d be a millionaire.

17. 4everUKblue
    11:23 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Seth is back peddling…

18. RealCatsFan
    11:25 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Kind of ironic to hear Seth talking about “static” when his phone is breaking up. πŸ˜‰

Kind of rich to see Matt getting talked over and not being able to get a word in edgewise for once. πŸ™‚

19. RealCatsFan
    11:26 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Seth says we need an alpha dog. I think that dog’s initials are JV. πŸ˜€

20. 4everUKblue
    11:29 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Wouldn’t miss seeing him come to Rupp after the comments he made.

21. runningunnin.454
    11:36 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Seth’s only valid point was about toughness….Cal has made that same point.
    I would add they have to learn to keep their composure at the end of a close game.

• Realme
      11:40 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Perhaps if they would start games with better focus, they’d be in better position at the end. It’s like you just have to throw away the first few and last few minutes of a lot of games and hope they dominated the rest of the time.

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Toughness is an issue, but so is attention to detail. It’s the little things – boxing out, keeping hands up on defense, staying in front of your man, etc., that are getting us. A lot of this is youth, and probably lack of attention to this in the world of AAU basketball. They have x number of hours to work on things in practice each week. A lot of that time has to be divided up between fundamental stuff like this and getting them to play together cohesively as a team.

22. J-Dub421
    11:38 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Knox just scored 21 points!!! Lay off him!!

• runningunnin.454
      11:42 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Agree…isn’t he the youngest player on the youngest team in the country?

23. ClutchCargo
    11:43 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

I’m not listening to the show, but I’m giving Seth a pass for what seemed to be one of his few terrible takes. Not sure why this has become such a crisis. He isn’t the trolling type like so many of his colleagues these days, so I can disagree and move on.

• Realme
      11:48 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

I don’t think it’s a huge deal, but he must have been getting a lot of flack, because he was extremely defensive today.

24. SAustin_wildcat
    11:45 am January 18, 2018 Permalink

Toughness is such a broad discussion for this team. Cal sees it… and will do what he generally does to fix the problem. Diallo and Knox have not performed to expectations… but I believe we’ll see them improve soon. Knox just had one of his best games… but ALL of them have to play for 40 minutes. Perimeter defense is improving… while it’s been way too easy for opponents to get to the rim. Our perimeter passing needs to improve as well… too many lazy passes on the perimeter lead to steals and breakaways in the opposing direction. We are improving… but there will be more lumps along the way. GO ‘CATS !!