Tune in to KSR! (Thursday Show Thread)

Kentucky Sports Radio radio is back with another edition for your Thursday morning. Today, Matt and Ryan will talk a little football, a little basketball recruiting and a maybe a little bit of UNC.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

50 Comments for Tune in to KSR! (Thursday Show Thread)

1. RealCatsFan
    10:02 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Hmmm, KSR just pulled a thread that they had posted ten minutes ago about the final ruling on the UNC academic scandal being released by the NCAA. Did they get word that it was a bogus article?

• runningunnin.454
      10:12 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

They are going to announce this on a Friday to escape the news cycle, and diminish outrage.
      Political science 101…don’t expect anything at all.

• RealCatsFan
      10:13 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Hopefully all the news leaks will keep them from ducking public scrutiny like they are hoping.

• Realme
      10:23 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

I was so surprised the NCAA decided to vacate wins for Louisville that it gave me a little hope. Nothing will surprise me.

• I’m not holding my breath where UNC is concerned. Teflon U.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

I predict that STD will play the Beatles’ “Hello Goodbye” song at the break for Matt. 😉

3. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Did Matt ever consider that the Lady working the front desk might be a UofL fan? 😀

4. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

rg, guess it’s just you and me today. 😉

• secrick
      10:18 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Nope i am here checking out what you guys are talking about just can’t listen to the show.

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

The gang will show up….good day to bash UNC.

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

rick, my other comment got moderated for some reason, but can you listen to KSR on your phone with a set of ear buds? That’s what I do.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:17 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Listening now on the beach overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. Beer tastes better here.

Not holding breath for UNC nor UofL.

• Realme
      11:18 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Quite jealous right now. Enjoy, C&M.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:23 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Tons of UK people here on school fall break.
      We come down almost every year for my eldest daughter’s birthday.

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Drink one for us poor schmucks at work.

• C & M, are you at Gulf Shores/Orange Beach by chance, or Ft. Walton/Destin? If it’s the latter, Stewby’s Seafood Shanty in Ft. Walton is a good place to eat. It’s not on the beach, and it’s served at a window, so it’s cheaper but really good. I’m not as big on seafood as some, but it was good.

• ClutchCargo
      6:14 pm October 5, 2017 Permalink

Haven’t been able to listen or jump on here all week due to work. Shit.

5. Realme
    10:16 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

My favorite is when someone in the building asks how I am, and I reply “good, how are you?” and they don’t answer. Don’t ask me how I am if you don’t want to hear my reply (which I will never answer honestly anyways).

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Never ask “How are you”…you might be there a while.

• ClutchCargo
      6:16 pm October 5, 2017 Permalink

Sappy, I know, but I try to look that person in the eye and listen to their answer. Frequently don t get one.

6. DrSayre
    10:17 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Matt should bring on different people to talk about the lawsuit… I think Leno did something like that when the Michael Jackson case was going on.

• Realme
      10:19 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

I keep expecting him to Periscope about it.

• DrSayre
      10:21 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

I thought he would too and not leave the video up. But I can see him not wanting to take any chances with it.

• Realme
      10:22 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

I guess there’s a junior lawyer out there having to basically stalk him online and the airwaves to catch anything he says.

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

The guy on ESPN pretty much had it right…common sense; but, the legal system doesn’t always exude common sense.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Idiots can file stupid lawsuits, then judges can toss them out.

7. dsms99
    10:18 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Google Drew Franklin KSR and look at images. The pic is from Pinterest.

• RealCatsFan
      10:30 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, I’m sure Drew would have much rather preferred the picture of himself with the girl in the white #23 jersey. 😉

8. On the lawsuit: I forgot to mention yesterday that a Lexington roofing company has a little kid (the owner’s kid I think) on an ad on WLAP saying “Don’t get Roofereed!”. I think it’s the one with Ryan Lemond on it too. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that, but if i were Matt, I might ask them to shelve that ad for a while, especially if it is the one with Ryan.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:32 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

If they were fake classes, the players should have been academically ineligible anyway no matter what team they played for or whether or not the coach directed them to the class.

• Realme
      10:38 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Yeah. If they don’t punish UNC, they’re basically saying it’s fine to cheat to keep your players eligible, just make sure that you lie about grades to keep the APR up. If you honestly record legit grades, you will be punished a la UConn. Which is the opposite of how they usually rule. Usually lying about cheating seems to make them madder than the cheating.

• runningunnin.454
      10:43 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

If they do nothing, I don’t want to hear the NCAA refer to “student athletes” ever again. “There are 360,000 NCAA student athletes, and almost all of us will be going pro in something other than sports”.
      NCAA ad celebrating 100 years of the student athlete….yeah, right.

• J-Dub421
      11:05 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Exactly. It doesn’t matter if the coaches directed their players to take the fake classes or not. They had meetings about the fake classes. Roy Williams (and Dean Smith before him) was at those meetings. They knew the classes were fake. They knew they had players taking those classes. They knowingly played ineligible players.

Rashad McCants posted his transcripts at one point. He was a C-D student, except in AFM Studies classes where he miraculously was an A student. That alone should set off red flags.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:38 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Nick Richards played futbol, not football. 😉

11. RealCatsFan
    10:44 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

I will be in Rupp fighting that foo with the Foo Fighters in a couple of weeks as well. Last time I saw them was when they opened for the Red Hot Chili Peppers at Freedom Hall around 1999. That was a great show! Looking forward to it.

PS – someone please put a 24 hour guard on Dave Grohl. His life is in danger from being mentioned on KSR!

12. RealCatsFan
    10:46 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

I would love to see UNC get smacked, but the program I really want to see get what they deserve is Duke. So sick of seeing them held up as the golden child by the NCAA.

13. RealCatsFan
    10:50 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

So are Bol’s and Shaq’s kids really all that good, or is it more of a novelty based on who their fathers are? I’m really disappointed that the momentum for the kid from Canada seems to be swinging in favor of the vampire in Durham.

• runningunnin.454
      10:54 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Bol and Shaq’s kid really need to bulk up. Duke is doing really well recruiting the one-and-done guys; but, as yet, Coach K has not demonstrated that he can coach them…Duke is kind of 3 point crazy for a player like Barrett; they seem to live and die by the 3.

• Realme
      10:54 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Bol’s supposed to be really good. Shareef (sp?) is decent, but we want his dad on our bandwagon more.

• J-Dub421
      11:11 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

There are so few Duke players in the NBA who are making any kind of a splash (with the exception of Kyrie Irving). I really don’t understand how K keeps getting them. Look around the NBA, Kentucky players are dominating.

• RealCatsFan
      11:16 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

I agree, J-Dub. I guess K gets them based on reputation and possibly promising them something. (wink wink) Doesn’t make sense that he out-recruits Cal based on getting a player into the NBA.

• I just don’t see how he can be out Cal’ing Cal all of a sudden after:

1) Cal has out recruited him for the most part his first several years
      2) What J-Dub said. There is NO comparison between the two in NBA players and their success.

It sure smells like sardines to me.

14. Realme
    11:17 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

That story about Stoops and Johnson visiting Freddie’s nephew is really good. Not sure why they haven’t put it on KSR.

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

It was on Drew’s morning post yesterday.

• Realme
      11:38 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Oh good.

15. J-Dub421
    11:39 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

All the angry old dudes got their panties in a twist over Tyler’s article.

• RealCatsFan
      11:59 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Yep – kind of like some of the loons thinking that the government is going to come for their guns after the Las Vegas shootings.

16. Here is my comment from that article last night (edited for syntax…I hate when I click “Post” and then can’t edit!):

Here’s the thing: as long as there are men and women, there will be sexism, on both sides. You know why? Because men and women are people, and people aren’t perfect. Case in point: has there been a sitcom with a dad who wasn’t a total doofus in the last 30+ years, while the mom is always the smart one? If so it’s rare. Tell me that isn’t sexism.

Look at the National Protest League. If you’re going to refuse to stand for the anthem until this country is perfect, you’ll be kneeling until judgment day. Try to make it better? Of course! Just realize nothing will ever be perfect, that’s all. I’ll quote Nick Saban: “It’s a process.”

17. J-Dub421
    11:47 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

Cam Newton’s comment was the equivalent of when DJ Elliott said, “because it’s a lot of football stuff you wouldn’t understand.”

18. Realme
    11:55 am October 5, 2017 Permalink

That dummy that wrote Matt saying Newton was laughing at pronunciation should just watch the video. It’s not hard to find, and it’s clear he was being an a hole about a woman asking a football question.

I don’t get all tore up about it, because I expect that kind of stuff out of him. Jerks gonna jerk. But I don’t have to deal with what that reporter and Tyler have had to deal with as a female in that industry, so I wouldn’t dream of saying they shouldn’t be upset.