Tuesday Night News and Views

IG: bradcalipari

Hello, friends. I’m writing from the den of my parents’ house in Danville. After a foggy ride up from Nashville via I-65, the Cumberland Parkway, and 127, I am settled in to my old Kentucky home for the holiday.

While Christmas may be on the forefront of my nephews’ minds, pardon me if I’m more preoccupied with the Louisville game. Shoutout to KSR fan Ash Mason, who repped the BBN during a Scrabble match with his four-year-old nephew tonight. First of all, what four-year-old plays Scrabble? Secondly, I think you’re only allowed seven tiles per tray, but hey, for Louisville hate, I’ll let anything slide.

Let’s go over the news of the day so I can wrap some more presents.

John Calipari spent Christmas Eve Eve with Isaiah Briscoe

@J_Schneider

The Calipari family has spent the past few days in the New York City area, watching Brad play in the Bronx, making appearances on Bloomberg TV (more on that in a minute), and tonight, watching future Cat Isaiah Briscoe play in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Briscoe had 18 points in his team’s 66-35 win.

A few days ago, Briscoe told Adam Zagoria that he’s in constant contact with future teammates Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis. “All the time I’m texting them, talking to them and they’re just saying they can’t wait till I get up there,” Briscoe said, adding that he’s totally comfortable playing alongside Ulis. “If I got the ball, Tyler’s running the wing. If Tyler got the ball I’m running the wing. He’s a pure point guard so I know if I get my jump shot right and get more athletic, he can throw me alleys and all that.”

Sounds good to me. Here’s a picture of the whole Calipari clan in NYC:

IG: bradcalipari

IG: bradcalipari

The team returns to Lexington tomorrow

After a few days with their families, the players will return to Lexington tomorrow. They’ll go through a practice tomorrow evening, eat Christmas dinner at the Calipari’s on Thursday, and practice again on Friday. Hopefully a few days of R&R will have them rested and recharged for Saturday night.

Meanwhile, Louisville took care of CSUN

CSUN stands for Cal State Northridge. They actually hung with Louisville for a good part of the game. Or, at least Wayne Blackshear did. Blackshear (who, yes, is still at Louisville!) had 23 points in the first half and 31 overall. A 25-point win over CSUN without Montrezl Harrell?? If you predicted that was enough to make the Yum Center crowd chant “BEAT UK” in the final seconds, you are correct. Adorable.

The basketball team posted a 3.13 GPA for the fall semester

Calipari tweeted that it puts the program on track to have five-straight years with a B-average. For you UNC players, that’s the one after A and before C.

Alex Poythress WILL attend the Louisville game

Cal said so on his radio show on Monday night. That makes me extremely happy, because if anyone loves beating the Cards, it’s Alex Poythress. I wouldn’t put it past Alex to try to block a three with his crutch from the sidelines.

John Calipari was on Bloomberg’s “With All Due Respect” yesterday

Because of course he was. Cal went through his usual stump speech about the evils of the NCAA and how UK wouldn’t have a chance to beat the 76ers (in fact, Cal claims Philly would beat UK by 30…hmm.). In case you missed it, or just miss hearing Cal’s swaggy voice, enjoy it in its entirety above.

Betting on UK to win the title is probably a bad idea at this point

In Vegas, the odds for UK to win the National Championship have dipped below even money to 10-11. Can you imagine what they will be once the Cats beat Louisville? The 4-1 odds I got at the Atlantis in the Bahamas don’t look too bad now.

Get ready for the Best of KSR tomorrow!

There’s no live show tomorrow, but Shannon has an episode of the Best of KSR queued up, which I believe may be the Kansas postgame show, so get ready to relive the good times. If you need an excuse to procrastinate from some serious last-minute shopping or household chores, Drew and I will be here all day to keep you updated on the latest news as we move towards Saturday’s game against the Dirty Birds. Don’t forget, on Friday, Matt and Ryan will be live from Bearno’s Pizza in Jeffersonville for the annual UK/Louisville show in front of a packed house.

Until then, enjoy a KSR holiday classic…

9 Comments for Tuesday Night News and Views

1. jimlowe7
    11:15 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

SORRY MRS. T – Cal spent DEC 23 with Briscoe and that means Christmas Eve is TOMORROW! Hope you don’t stay up all night tonight to get a “SELFIE” with the “old elf” LOL!

• BanjoBeliever
      3:19 am December 24, 2014 Permalink

She didn’t say Christmas Eve, she said Christmas Eve Eve, or in other words, the day before Christmas Eve.

2. mashburnfan1
    11:42 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

He needs to spend Christmas with Jaylen Brown. This is one recruit I really want to see at UK. Not that we must get him or anything, I just really want to see him play for BBN. He just dominated the top High School tourney in the country. Would not mind seeing Giles here either. Here are the semifinal and final stories.

3. RealCatsFan
    12:08 am December 24, 2014 Permalink

If it’s true that Devin and Tyler are telling Briscoe that they look forward to being teammates with him, that gives me a glimmer of hope that we won’t lose both of these guys to the draft. I really, really, REALLY want to see Booker and Ulis for another year in blue and white, and adding new blood like Briscoe and Matthews to the mix will make us a possible Final Four contender again next year. Good times!

• BanjoBeliever
      3:36 am December 24, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, that gives me a lot of hope too. I think Booker is great, maybe as good as anyone UK ever had when it comes to 3 point shooting, and with a great work ethic. Honestly, though, with all the talented big men this year, I don’t see him or any other guard going too high in the draft. Tyler Ulis will probably have to stay three years no matter how good he plays. The NBA doesn’t jump on 5’9″ players that often, and when they do they usually like to see them play for a couple years to make sure that they really are good enough to over look the height disadvantage.

Next year is going to be the exact opposite of this year, loaded with guards instead of bigs. It will be a little harder to figure out how to divide minutes between them, but once we get it down we will be rockin!

4. Casper
    1:34 am December 24, 2014 Permalink

Great post Tyler!
    If we get Ulis, Lee and Poythess back: #10

5. catheaven
    6:44 am December 24, 2014 Permalink

Thank you, Mrs. T, for the updates on the team. Glad to know they’ll be back in Lex tomorrow to get ready for the big game. Merry Christmas to you and all the hard working folks at KSR. Your work is much appreciated and anticipated. And a very Merry Christmas to the team and the Caliparis. Enjoy these few days with family; let Mom spoil you; get back to Lexington safely and ready to pummel the cards!

6. UKBigDaddy4
    8:35 am December 24, 2014 Permalink

And in the most shocking news of the day….
    UL football player Michael Dyer Academically Inegligible for their bowl game! Domination will continue in basketball Saturday, and Petrino’s squad is looking more and more like it ‘should’ lately! Stoops Troops take over football as of next season as well!

7. BTownUKFan
    9:41 am December 24, 2014 Permalink

Great photo-bomb by Santa in the Calipari pic ! Ho Ho Ho !
    So, Arizona goes down, do you think we might get their #1 vote in the coach’s poll next week or will it go to UNLV .

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.

GO CATS !!