Travonte Valentine Speaks About Opening Up His Recruitment

4-Star DT Travonte Valentine has become an important target for the UK coaching staff following a weekend that started with Valentine being a Miami commitment and ending with a de-commitment to the ‘Canes and a plan to visit both Kentucky and LSU before Signing Day.

Josh Helmholdt interviewed the former UofL, Florida, and Miami commit (woah) about his decision to re-re-re-open his recruitment and what schools he will be looking at before February 5th rolls around. Unfortunately, you must be a Rivals member to view the entire article, but one segment in particular will intrigue the Big Blue Faithful.

This week’s Army Bowl experience also put Valentine around Kentucky commits and those considering Wildcats, like quarterback Drew Barker and defensive tackle Matt Elam. What they told Valentine has piqued the Florida defensive tackle’s interest in Kentucky.

“They talked to me and said to come join the family at Kentucky,” Valentine said. “They are trying to grow a program and run things over there.”

I don’t want to read into too much of what a 17-18 year old kid says regarding his recruitment, but you may notice that he did use the word “they” more than once. All I know is that my head is a pretzel right now.

Article written by Will Totten

Born in Indiana and raised in Louisville, I am the unlikeliest UK fan.

16 Comments for Travonte Valentine Speaks About Opening Up His Recruitment

1. 2mites
    9:08 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Wow the speculation on this site is unbelievable. I only believe it when the name is signed on the line. KSR really overplays what a teenager will do or could do.

• cracka
      11:05 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

it’s a recruiting site, [email protected] … which college a hs kid (teenager) may or may not choose is what this site is for

2. GeneralJackD.Ripper
    9:10 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Don’t forget that Coach Stoops has been through these battles before & won more than his fair share. Not saying that’ll be the case here, but at least he’s confident enough in his program (unlike….well, let’s leave that unsaid) that he’s in there pitching.

3. MacGruber
    9:12 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Loot the Booty……..?

4. Chester
    9:21 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Do any other Big Blue fans out there know of a UK Football-related site or medium that has an accurate pulse on aspects like recruitment? KSR really has been embarrassing of late, and is little more reliable than a tabloid.

5. Hal
    9:22 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

not sure why elam is telling ppl to join the UK family if he’s not coming to UK himself. either bad info or nothing to worry about with elam

6. NorthernKYcatfan
    9:22 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

That’s an interesting looking football uniform.

• franklin templeton
      7:45 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

that’s the only thing i took away from this article. those are the craziest looking things i’ve ever seen on a High school player…

7. MacGruber
    9:26 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Banned in 12 countries……oh my!

8. Dave
    9:37 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Did anybody ever think that maybe Elam didn’t commit today was because to others that were thinking about flipping he could use his non comital to UK as a strong hold to attract other 4 or 5 star athletes? Its possible that he knows he will commit to UK however if he stays this way until signing day then he could use this as well as the help from Barker to attract other athletes. Just a thought…. any opinions?

• Derr
      9:56 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Except that the 3 biggest targets for flipping, according to KSR, didn’t flip today. Way to go KSR!

• DPM UK
      11:10 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

Really!! Do you honestly think this. Elam IMO has slapped the coaches and schools face. The kid has an ego problem and wants the platform as long as he can hold onto it, you can tell this by his postings on twitter and other forums.

I can honestly say if I was the best player, #1 pick in all high school football, with offers from all the best programs in college football, I would not hesitate or delay picking the Cats because I love my University of Kentucky and love my State even more. My loyalty would be with where my heart is. That to me would be an easy choice.

He says he loves “UK, the recruits coming to Kentucky and the commonwealth”, yeah right. He loves the attention he is receiving no matter how much it hurts Kentucky’s recruiting.

The kids from Ohio, Georgia and other outlying states have showed more love and dedication to changing this program around than this young man. I am sorry to say I have lost all respect for Matt, I would have rather seen him just picked Alabama than put the BBN through all this. His day in the spotlight and this recruiting platform is bigger than the commonwealth.

9. Poker face Elam
    10:07 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Elam ain’t stupid he getting rid of any competition he might have at another school. Sending them to Uk good poker face Elam. Elam know dam well he ain’t going to Uk over bama.

• buffetta1a.
      11:11 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Where do I start Mr. P. face? …. not enough time!

10. DPM UK
    10:43 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

I think Elam not picking the Cats the other day shows he like’s attention, I am getting a little tired of him milking the recruiting platform. If he love’s the Cats so much and loves all the players on this team, then why the problem making a decision then?

Now I think to myself, if I was going to war, would I want to do battle with a young man who struggles with what is best for myself, not the team (Team being my State my love). I would have a problem with this guy watching my 6 because he thinks only of himself.

IMO he needs to grow up and make his decision, one way or the other.

11. UKBIRD
    11:30 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

When it all comes down to it, It doesn’t matter what we think on Elam. Its his decision. If he comes to UK he comes if he doesn’t so be it. It does get tiresome of KSR posting articles on him 5 times a day over the same thing. Don’t lose any sleep over it.