Traveling Calipari’s Thursday News and Views

BlYhcyRCcAAYtAh

John Calipari is a baller. At this point, there is nothing else left to be said about him. During his book tour across America, we have seen him in an amazing number of locations. But today may have topped them all. He began the morning on the MSNBC show “Morning Joe”, made his way to something called “Squawk Box” on CNBC, had lunch with former President Bill Clinton, took a jet with Tucker Max to Charlotte for the Bobcats and Bulls, and while there ran into Michael Jordan. Tucker tweeted me and said the two talked about the “One and Done” Rule and Jordan said NBA Commissioner Adam Silver would be pushing hard this summer to get the rule changed to two years. Now I ask you…seeing all that, how does your day compare? I thought my day of doing a remote at Sleep Outfitters, eating lunch with Ryan Lemond at “Smokey Bones”, having a meeting about the KSR Summer Tour at the radio station, organizing my office, eating sushi from “Whole Foods”, watching the WWE Network and cackling on the phone with Bomani Jones for a hour was action-packed…but Calipari puts me to shame again. We really do have the perfect coach for Kentucky here and we probably won’t ever find one better.

With that in mind, three big stories for the day that we need to focus upon:

JALEN WHITLOW TRANSFERS:

It takes a pretty big piece of football news to knock the basketball decisions off of the headlines, but today that decision happened as last year’s starting Quarterback Jalen Whitlow announced he would be transferring. It came as a little bit of a shock, as just last Thursday, Mark Stoops was on KSR Radio and said that if the games started today, Whitlow would be the starter. But a week later, Jalen was told that his future might be best served at another position and he decided it was time to make a move. I spoke today with a source close to the program who helped me process the decision a little bit. He told me that Whitlow’s passing hadn’t improved at a strong enough level to really justify leaving him at the position. The other quarterbacks in the system had taken heavy strides and the staff felt good enough with the position depth to make the move. UK wanted Whitlow around and thought he could be a valuable receiver/Wildcat QB for them as they love him as a player and as a person. But, in the end, the Neal Brown offense needs an efficient passer and my source says the belief was that Whitlow, even though he knew the offense the best and had more dimensions to his game, simply had not made enough strides in that area.

I hate to see Jalen go as I think he would have been a valuable member of the team next year and on a team that needs great athletes, he could have been used. But I also understand why he wants to play Quarterback and how with that in mind, a transfer makes sense. I do not believe UK’s struggles last season were because of Whitlow, as he was just the most obvious face of a team with a lot of holes. But, without better passing ability, a change makes sense. This should make UK fans feel good about the improvement of the guys on the roster, as with this move, the Towles/Barker/Phillips Air Raid era has officially begun.

DRAFT DECISIONS LINGER

KSR is happy that the draft decisions are taking a long time to be made by the six players left on UK’s roster who are up in the air. The traffic on this site has been insane as fans wait breathlessly to find out who is back. However, as a fan the wait is brutal. I am hearing that we will probably find out about one player this week, but the rest will probably go into next week, meaning we will have more time before the April 27th deadline to wait. Nothing has changed on my end…I still think Randle/Young will leave…I still believe that Alex will stay (although I do think there is some pressure from people around him to go)…I think Dakari is torn but will probably (but not certainly) end up back…and I have no clue on the Harrison Twins. I continue to read people who say the Twins are leaning this way or that, but I still give absolutely no stock to it. This is a quiet twosome who isnt talking to anyone locally and I am of the opinion that the folks around UK still don’t know what the decision will be. The speculation is just that, and at least half will end up looking right as it is a yes/no decision. If the Twins leave, I do expect Kentucky to take another perimeter player and my guess is that part of what will take place with new Assistant Coach Barry Rohrrsen is to figure out where to go if that contingency occurs. So more time waiting…get comfortable.

RUPP ARENA FUNDING ISSUE

The Rupp Arena Renovation plan came to a grinding halt late Tuesday night when the Kentucky Senate did not pass the funding necessary for it to begin. There has been a lot of talk about the issue, and we still are left a bit up in the air as to where it stands. I am still surprised and disappointed that the Senate leadership did not approve the money, when they have approved similar money for Louisville’s arena in the past AND approved $60 million this year for the Louisville Convention Center. We have heard reasons from the Senate, but most have to do with “delay in getting documents,” but little on the substance of the issue. This morning on my radio show, I challenged all the major parties to the issue, the Governor Steve Beshear, Senate President Robert Stivers, Speaker of the House Greg Stumbo and Lexington Mayor Jim Grey, to come on my show TOGETHER and debate/talk out the issue. To my pleasant surprise, all today agreed to do it. For scheduling reasons, it won’t take place for a couple of weeks, but I do think at that time, we will know for sure what happened, how it can be fixed and fans can decide who is right and who is wrong. It will be the first time all of Frankfort’s “Big Three” leaders have been in one interview at the same time since they took office. We at KSR appreciate the fact that they would take our forum as the opportunity to make that happen and I do commend them for agreeing to do it.

With that, we are back at it tomorrow on radio and on here…the wait is long, but hopefully the results if these players return will be worth it…

Article written by Matt Jones

90 Comments for Traveling Calipari’s Thursday News and Views

1. Blue Jesus
    11:45 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Nice to have you back doing regular posts, Matt–even if it is just temporary. I love reading your insights on the big topics of the day. Thanks!

• Ridge Runner
      1:49 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

agreed…

• Chase
      9:28 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Yep, you do the best News and Veiws. Enjoy the perspective, thoughtfulness and candor. And I agree, we wont find a better coach for Kentucky, ever. Lets hope we get the rule changed and he retires here. Wooden 2.0.

2. KINGS
    11:46 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

The dons of basketball…

3. Jackson Browne
    11:58 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Maybe Matt can get all the politicians to quit lying to us and tell the truth for once in their lives. No doubt it would probably be the first time for them. How is UL able to get all the funding for the YUM Center and the convention center and Lexington gets nothing for Rupp Arena…it just doesn’t make sense.

• Haha
      12:19 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

He will ask one-sided questions to make Beshear sound good (hard to do so kudos to Matt).

• RealityCheck
      1:00 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Maybe they think that if it won’t work in louisville, why on earth would it be profitable in the black hole that is Lexington.

• beavis
      6:43 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Yep, maybe they just don’t want to throw money at another Yum center type project and leave the taxpayers holding the bag.

• Hmmm
      8:54 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Except that it is working but the deal that was drawn up has all of the profits going to UL. The Yum Center is getting big name events coming to Louisville and Rupp could do the same thing if it was renovated properly. With the right deal the city of Lexington could be miles ahead of where it is now.

• beavis
      9:28 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

It is working ??? If you call being in debt up to it rafters to the point they can’t even do proper maintenance on the place,,,working,,,.then I guess you are right. The deal is the problem. They allotted funds for the project in Frankfort before a deal was reached between U of L and the city of Louisville. U of L took full advantage of the situation. The Rupp project is not dead but everyone needs to get their ducks in a row before the money is allocated.

4. inside info
    11:59 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Congrats on the interviews Matt. That is pretty big. Can’t wait to hear each of their sides. Just please, ask hard questions and follow up if they are dodging. KY municipal bonds are the joke of Wall Street next to Illinois’. We really don’t need any more debt at this time. But I was unaware they gave $60 million to Louisville. Would love to hear why.

5. Keep this up
    12:05 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Really enjoy these posts more so than most others on here. Keep doing these!

• Haha
      12:20 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

You mean the nightly recap they have done every night as long as I can remember?

6. joey b
    12:09 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

I am gonna get me some sick ol piece of grungy carpet Matt cuz I Jones for it namedropping.

7. joey b
    12:12 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

under over on editing posts is at 2 hr

Harrison’s should shock us all and have just one leave. They could switch out midseason and A could put on UK blue after guarding LeBron while A could take a break and sit on Heats bench and smoke some ho hos

• Haha
      12:18 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Is it past your bedtime?

• Stop Now
      4:26 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

All class, aren’t you?

8. You're asking the wrong guys, Matt.
    12:20 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Of course Stumbo, Grey, and Beshear volunteered to come on. None of them are on the Budget caucus that axed the Rupp funding. See if you can convince any of the “fiscal conservatives” on the committee to join you on the show — then you might have an actual debate. In particular, I’m curious who on the committee decided Rupp was an unworthy cause, but a new road to the Creation Museum was a good idea.

• JH Selas
      12:43 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

I hate to correct you, but the new road that was funded is to the new “Ark Encounter” exhibit in Northern Kentucky, not to the “Creation Museum” in Petersburg.

• RealityCheck
      12:58 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

What’s the difference? Both are make believe, and any state funding would go directly against the separation between church and state.

• GodNotGovernment
      1:16 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

The funding went towards a road, NOT towards the actual construction of the exhibit. And Noah’s Ark, real or not, is an important part of our Christian heritage. This great nation was founded on Christian principles, and will only endure so long as we give Glory to God.

• herndon
      2:25 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

This great nation was built on freedom (and freedom of religion). We are free to worship Buddha, Allah, Hu, Yahweh, God, or coach Cal if we so choose.
      “As the government of the United States of America is not, in any sense founded, on the Christian religion…” – Treaty of Tripoli (United States Senate 1797)

• herndon
      2:32 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Oops, comma placement is important here- * “As the government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion…”

• RealityCheck
      2:57 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

So, they built the road to the churchy place, which is probably tax exempt and raking in $$ from the slack jawed yokel that actually believe in that fairy tail. Might as well believe in Bigfoot or Nessy, just as much evidence of them.

9. Archie Goodwin
    12:30 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

I’m having a pretty good game tonight against the Kings.

19 pts

• Ridge Runner
      12:55 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Ole Archie… a player I could never get my complete arms around so to speak. It’s not that I hated him or any Cat but…well….

10. Ridge Runner
    12:52 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

I’m thinking “Poythress stays” is the player we hear from this week. Hell, I don’t base it on nuthin’…just a hunch.

11. Ridge Runner
    1:01 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Yes, Cal is logging in the miles and stops. Just think what he’ll be like on a good hip. damn!

12. Jared
    1:25 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Matt is so proud of his 1 black friend, Bomani.

13. Ridge Runner
    1:35 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

In other news… Rapper Andre Johnson cuts off his penis and jumps from a balcony.

I swear you cannot make this kind of stuff up.

• Mark
      1:54 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

ridge, I read that earlier. a witness said “we weren’t doing that kind of drugs”
      yowzerrrr!!

14. Say what?
    2:00 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

OMG

15. Crocidile Imposter
    5:32 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Matt Jones, you are so behind on reporting on UK football. Others have very recently left the program and the staff is fearful that another QB or two was planning on leaving. Report what is going on, not the fluff you are being told. Get a list of recent transfers. Just maybe a different football program puts together these recent transfers, and after sitting out a year, they play against UK.

16. kentuckyjoe
    6:38 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Right on about Coach Cal. We could never have, and will never have, a more perfect person for the job. He’s the absolute best. We went from the s-house to the penthouse. Love live Coach Cal.

17. NothingButTruth
    7:10 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

ONCE AGAIN…. YOU DO NO RESEARCH. PLEASE DO RESEARCH.
    It is the KENTUCKY CONVENTION CENTER. NOT the Louisville convention center. It has absolutely nothing to do with Louisville athletics. They approved that money because Louisville is by far Kentucky’s biggest city (Around 6 times larger than lexington; Near half the states population lives in louisville and It is Kentucky’s ONLY 1st class city). Louisville, as a city, draws a TON of events and other attention on the national stage in a way that no other city in Kentucky does and our state government knows that.
    steps off soapbox.
    sorry, but for the love of god, I just like accuracy in the news that I read. At least get the names of things correct, please.

• The Amazing Crisco
      7:21 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

You can have that removed from your ass you know.

• btowncatfan
      7:37 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

1. You are right it is the Kentucky Convention Center, but Matt never said it is associated with UL.
      2. Louisville/Jefferson County has a population of around 650,000. Only a little over twice of what Lexington/Fayette County has. The Louisville Metro population of over 1 million plus also includes the surrounding counties and areas not in the state of Kentucky (just over the river in Indiana). So not even close to 6x that of Lexington, and surely not 1/2 of the States population.
      3. For someone that likes accuracy, you sure are way off!

• btowncatfan
      7:42 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

hit the wrong key should have said 750,000 not 650,000

• Jayone
      8:40 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Louisville is in Kentuckiana

• jimp
      1:53 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

The whole state is in a world of trouble if the city of Louisville is considered a First Class City.

18. NothingButTruth
    7:24 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

The Amazing Crisco,

Besides the fact that what you just put is grammatically incorrect and incoherent, why even post if you aren’t going to say anything relevant?
    I’m a fan and all… but jeeze, this guy always gets information wrong and it’s getting to me.

• Calm down Francis
      7:38 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

I will take ass clowns for a thousand Alex.

• The Amazing Crisco
      7:42 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Grammer , did you just discover capital letters and run on sentences ? Pot meet kettle.

19. WestWorld
    7:37 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

College QB’s transfer….it just comes with the territory.

20. Cycledelicbikes
    7:37 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

I agree NothingButTruth. Facts are irrelevant and pride is a must. I’m sure we all care about everything Matt eats, his name-dropping and his remotes he does. I’m with RealityCheck too. Sir you are a breath of fresh air.

21. arlo
    7:37 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

13.ridgerunner: maybe it’ll catch on with other rappers.

22. NothingButTruth
    7:44 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Calm Down Francis,

Since it is clear that FACTS mean nothing to you, asshat.. you can leave the discussion. K thanks!

• Calm down Francis
      7:49 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

I have to go to work now, try it sometime. Roll over and tell Tommy Turtleneck “good morning ‘ for me you angry little troll.

23. UKBlue1!
    7:47 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

As a UK grad and a Louisville resident. I am kind of glad to see the arena project put on hold. The city of louisville has got themselves into a big mess. I think Rupp is still one of the top arena’s in college basketball no matter how you cut it. Is it really worth spending this kind of money in todays economy. I think louisville is finding out….

• Jayone
      8:45 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Since Louisville got into this mess, why should the Commonwealth of Kentucky bail them out? Louisville is a solid liberal city so how about letting Obama bail them out, like Detroit! Why burden the rest of the state when the majority of Louisville residents and their mayor hates everything out of Jefferson County. Louisville will never get the message if the state legislature continues funding their stupidity.

• UKAlum
      9:21 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Oh lord..another hypocrite rethug blowhard. Pot meet kettle.

24. NothingButTruth
    7:48 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Btowncatfan,

1. He still called it the Louisville convention center, whether intentional or not, he is implying there is a link between the building and the school. There is no such connection.

2. ACTUALLY, for someone who seems to like numbers… you couldn’t be more wrong. I actually do statistical work for cities in Kentucky. Louisville metro is 1.5 million, very close to that half of the population I was talking about.
    Do more research buddy.

• Sure you do
      7:51 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Stivers is this you?

• btowncatfan
      8:07 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

No, Actually according to the US Census Bureau the 2013 Population of LouivilleJefferson County is 750,000. The metro area including just the KY counties that border Jefferson takes it up to 950,000. Like I said to get to the 1 million plus you have to go over the river into Indiana. Is the US census bereau wrong? Still even at your 1.5 million, much of which is in Indiana, it is still only about 1/3 of KY’s entire population.

25. NothingButTruth
    7:53 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Calm Down Francis,

XD I actually have my doctorate. what is your “work”? shoveling horse shit? probably.

• stoopid
      9:01 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

What’s a career in message board crying start out at?

• LMAO
      10:24 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

“stoopid” just won the internet for the day lol. Sorry, NBT, there is nothing you can do to top that one. Actually, if I were you, I would be laughing and saluting along with the rest of us lol. Thanks for that!

• Say Tan
      10:52 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

^^^^^^^^^
      yep, NothingButTruth how does “stoopid’s” ass taste? How are those statistics? bitch!

26. NothingButTruth
    7:55 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Cycledelicbikes,

Shut it dude. Facts are relevant and I bring them up because everyone here just wants to circle jerks around what ifs all day. Also, I could give two shits what matt eats… I just want him to get the names of things he writes about right. Not that hard.

• Cycledelicbikes
      9:21 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Not sure why I got the “shut it dude.” I agree with you completely.

• NothingButTruth
      2:39 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Cycledelicbikes.. sorry bud. thought you be doggin.
      I love his writing, just hate how he makes up names of junk. There is no Louisville convention center

27. tom
    8:16 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Well, that is a real balanced panel, demonstrating immense fairness with KSR. Three Dems and one Republican. You’ve criticized Stivers up and down over the last two weeks, you should praise him for his willingness to be transparent and appear in a panel stacked against him. Will that happen? All together now…NOOOOOOO.

28. NothingButTruth
    8:18 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

btowncatfan,

No actually, YOU are wrong. you’re numbers, WHEN you aren’t changing them around, are off. I work with census information for the state of Kentucky DAILY. I highly doubt that you do. The Louisville metro Statistical area consists of 1.5 million people. Go look it up and stop wasting my time. Try getting a job or something maybe. And whether any of those numbers are from Indiana is irrelevant. In census work, major river cities are compounded. It depends greatly on the city span (Example: Cincinnati. almost half of Cincinnati’s population is Northern kentucky). Louisville consists of many very dense urban areas.
    Bottom line… 1.5 million. half the states population. now stop fretting and go put in that job application.

• btowncatfan
      8:22 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Bottom line. 1.5 m is not 1/2 of 4.3 m. Two things I learned from these posts, you work in statistics, but your math sucks. You have a doctorate, which only enforces the idea that education does not = intelligence.

• Btowncatfan
      8:32 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Also, me changing things around? Your original post stated that half of the states population lived in the city of Louisville. You did not mention anything about metro areas. You also stated that it was 6x that of Lexington, also wrong. Finally if you are counting only Louisville proper, that is only about 260,000. I Can do this all day if you want.

29. lonnieb
    8:18 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

I found the transfer if the twins leave. byron wesley from USC…..looks pretty legit

30. NothingButTruth
    8:30 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

btowncatfan,

1.5 million is damn near close to half of 3.9… which is actually the population. A few thousand off, big whoop. You are just making up numbers at this point dude.
    My math is fine and education is a great thing. Just hard arguing with a fool.

seriously though… you have gotten off on a wild tangent arguing a thousand people here a thousand there. The final verdict is that Louisville is Kentucky’s only major city (Only first class city on national stage) and the government is trying to do good things by the state. Giving money to the Kentucky convention center is good for everyone in the state.

31. arlo
    8:34 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

wild tangent. ain’t that some kind of triggernomerty?

• tom
      8:42 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

I thought Wild Tangent was a new after shave lotion.

32. NothingButTruth
    8:40 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

arlo,

Some may think so. It gets crazy. pants on head and fuzzy memories.

33. $1.75 Tacos?
    8:41 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Whitlow did not even start as QB for his high school, but at UK, and in the SEC, he will only play QB?

34. NothingButTruth
    8:45 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

btowncatfan,

apparently you cant do it ACCURATELY all day long. once again you are changing around the issue at hand and forging numbers. If you SERIOUSLY want to discuss Louisville proper, than perhaps you are aware that Louisville proper is the 16th largest proper city in the nation. Once again, enough reason to support the KENTUCKY CONVENTION CENTER.
    and fine… since you need a clear cut definition… Half of the state of Kentucky lives in the Louisville metro area (which is 6 times larger than Lexington). there. happy?

• frank
      8:53 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Why don’t the two of you get a room and spare the rest of us from your tedious bickering

• btowncatfan
      8:55 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Sigh! Of course 1/3 of your 1/2 lives in another state. Even if I concede your numbers (which I don’t, the population of KY is 4.38 million vs. your 3.9m) 1.5m is 38.46% of 3.9 m , which is well short of 50%. Like I said your math sucks!

• btowncatfan
      8:57 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

OK Frank just for you I’m done, have a good day.

• frank
      9:04 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Thanks. It was an interesting back and forth. Enjoy the day as well.

35. NothingButTruth
    8:54 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Frank,

Only if he pays for it.

• frank
      8:56 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

lol! Good one

36. NothingButTruth
    9:07 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

btowncatfan,

Like I said, whether in another state or not is irrelevant in statistics. And you should concede my numbers because they are accurate. also, like I said CLOSE to half. 40% of the states population in one city is a hell of a number (Not to mention Louisville is by far the fastest growing city within a 300 mile radius). They dont call it the new portland for nothing. Hipster mecca. But just saying, thats why the tourist numbers are there… hence why the support for the Kentucky convention center makes sense.
    Now, get that room ready buddy.

• btowncatfan
      9:49 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

I would book it, but the way you are with numbers, I’m not sure you would ever find the room!

• bmack
      10:18 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

“Whether in another state or not is irrelevant in statistics.”
      “40% of the states [sic] population in one city is a hell of a number.”

You see the logical disconnect, right? You’re including Indiana population in your claim about how much of Kentucky’s population is made up of Louisville residents. That makes no sense.

And Louisville is “a first class city on a national stage?” You must be kidding. Try living outside of Kentucky for a while. No one thinks of Louisville as a “first class city.” In fact, no one thinks of Louisville, at all. Call me when you get your first professional sports team (other than minor league baseball). I have nothing against Louisville, but let’s not put on airs.

• Calm down Francis
      11:13 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

OMG you are such a douche. 2 he’s of solid BS may be a new KSR record. Doctorate my ass.

• NothingButTruth
      2:33 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Bmack.. your logic sucks on monkey nuts brother. There is a dude who utterly destroyed you in his comment a little further down. Id recommend you read that, go tuck your tail, and stop dating your sister.

btowncatfan. I’m a statistics guy bro. My numbers are fine. I do this all the time.

Calm down Francis.. just cause you didnt finish high school doesnt make my doctorate any less real.

• Calm down Francis
      8:11 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I take everything back, you seem like a great human being. I am sure you are a ray of light and inspiration to all that meet you. And if that wasn’t enough, you have a doctorate that you rarley talk about. What a Guy.

37. Megan
    10:05 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

“Who is right and who is wrong”? You know better than that, Matt. It’s almost never one or the other. You’ll find there is some merit to both sides of the issue.

I spent my day sleeping, catching up on any news from UK players, going to the grocery, repotting a plant, watching a couple of Netflix movies, and snuggling with my cat. I’d say that was on a par with Matt’s day.

38. Dll
    11:09 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

As a state employee who is getting a raise of 2% for the first time in 6 years I got of resent all of this money going to the Yum Center, Louisville Convention Center and now supposedly Rupp Arena. Almost every department has taken cuts over the last 6 years also.

39. MN CAT
    11:18 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

If it is okay to make a comment about UK sports (as opposed to politics), I wanted to say that it doesn’t seem like a good sign for their returning that folks around the program have no clue what the Harrison’s are going to do. Do others agree?

40. BillyDaBull
    2:18 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Bmack,

Southern Indiana,… Northern Ky… doesn’t matter… still greater Louisville area.
    Actually, for the record buddy. I have lived across the nation and in many large cities. Louisville very much so has a presence on the national stage, and if you disagree with that then you are just an idiot. I am a proud Kentuckian by birth and I happen to have a lot of respect for my birth state’s largest city. Louisville is the 16th largest city in the country… and you are clearly a waterbrain because last i checked, the GREATEST 2 MINUTES IN SPORTS takes place in Louisville when all the rich and famous FLOCK to the city. The effing queen of England used to make regular trips for the derby. AND have you ever heard of the LOUISVILLE SLUGGER? OR BOURBON? OR THE HOT BROWN? all invented in Louisville and well known across the nation. ALSO, Muhammad Ali, Hunter s. Thompson, Zachery Taylor (12th president), colonel sanders, etc… all from Louisville. Heck, Thomas Edison, AL capone, and F. scott fitzgerald all lived in the ville for a period of time. AND Thunder over Louisville, which just occurred, is the largest fireworks display and airshow in north america.
    So yea… try doing some research next time, buddy.

And also for the record, Louisville has had MANY pro sports teams through the years, Just different politics affected their long term stance… mostly state wide funding. Louisville has hosted Pro basketball, Pro football, and Pro baseball throughout its long history as a city. IN FACT, Louisville holds the only shared Major league baseball world series title in history from way back when.
    Not to mention, Pro B-ball may be coming back to the ville very soon.

• Theonefromhere
      2:47 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Bmack I am sorry man but you are kind of a dimwit. I Love the city of Louisville. It’s a great city. I specifically moved to the city after being born and raised in Oregon. Louisville is a big city with a reputation. In fact, a big part of what made me move to Louisville Kentucky is seeing where it won the title of top tourist destination in the country. This city is awesome! and really is the new portland. It’s just like back home, except Midwestern and with a different (just as interesting) heritage.

• jimp
      10:19 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

The greatest 15 SECONDS in history also took place in Louisville. We should all be proud.