Towns, Booker, Lyles and Ulis to play in McDonald’s All-American game

towns

All four members of Kentucky’s 2014 basketball recruiting class will play in the 2014 McDonald’s All-American game in Chicago on April 2nd. Towns, who was interviewed on ESPNU when the rosters were announced, will suit up for the East team, while Trey Lyles, Tyler Ulis, and Devin Booker will suit up for the West.  UK target Rashad Vaughn will also play for the West.

That makes 20 McDonald’s All-Americans for John Calipari since arriving at Kentucky.

Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

43 Comments for Towns, Booker, Lyles and Ulis to play in McDonald’s All-American game

1. Diehard cat
    6:22 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Sweet, more pre madonnas

• hell cat
      6:41 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I hope ‘pre-madonnas’ isn’t really what you think the term is.

• Prima donna
      7:06 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

pri·ma don·na noun \ËŒpri-mÉ™-ˈdä-nÉ™, ËŒprÄ“-\
      : the main female singer in an opera company

: a person who thinks she or he is better than everyone else and who does not work well as part of a team or group

In other words it does not mean before madonna.

• ukbradstith
      8:20 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I don’t think any of these players were around before Madonna.

• RealCatsFan
      8:28 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

So would that make Lady GaGa a “Post Madonna”?

2. SP
    6:23 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Im already disgusted with their mental weakness and lack of desire

• Ronald McDonald
      7:40 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

+1 i’m lovin it

• NBAjam
      7:46 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

You sir or mam, win at the internet.

3. Miller
    6:28 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Love all 4 of them but they will all add to this teams inability to defend a lick. Cal not getting the typical elite “athletes” that can run and jump high is starting to show he has no clue how to teach defense.

4. Davefromdagap
    6:29 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Elam’s presser Only open to Media tomorrow. Thats the Capital Letters On The Wall.

• catsfan
      6:36 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

whats that mean ? â™

• Blue Jesus
      7:11 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I’m afraid you’re right. Doesn’t want fans to come who will be disappointed by his announcement.

5. Seriously
    6:36 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Has so little ever been accomplished with so much? This has put me off McDonald’s for a while.

• Try Subway
      7:56 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

That food isn’t good for you anyway.

6. catsfan
    6:38 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Hawkins and ullis together next year will give backcourts a nightmare , yall are crazy.

• AlreadyGoin'There?
      6:50 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I can’t tell if you’re joking, or if you actually believe this.

• catsfan
      7:44 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

im talkin perimeter defensive wise, hopefully they develop to pesky lockdown defenders that always breathin down ya neck

• Dirk Minniefieldnot
      8:09 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I totally agree. Ulis has heart and a desire to win.

7. brain
    6:39 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

LOL. A down class. Only 4 burger boys. Really good kids and students. Great job by the 4 players and Cal.

8. goten170
    6:47 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Anyone ever think that Coach Cal screwed up in the Davis/Gilchrist/Teague/Wiltjer class? Or that he screwed up in Knight/Jones class? Or the Noel/Poythress Class?

Cal did screw up, he realized it last year! But 3 mistakes in three years will take some time to fix! He started taking 3 and 4 year players in this freshman class (Willis, Hawkins, Lee.) And he has recruit a few in the 2014 class aswell.

WE HAVE NO JUNIOR OR SENIOR CONTRIBUTORS!!! Miller, Liggins, Harrelson, and Patterson all played BIG TIME ROLES to help their teams succeed.

Yes Cal screwed up, he’s fixing it! This team lack’s that, but Mcd’s AA boys win titles!

Back off the “hoping Cal leaves” or the “fire Cal” crap. Cause it will only put us back where we were before Cal got here with no one on the roster!

This team all needs to return, I agree 100%! Randle needs to sit EVERY TIME he does not pass! Cauley-Stein needs to sit almost an entire game! Poythress NEEDS to start the remander of the season. Johnson needs more minutes! DONE!!!

• NBAjam
      7:53 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Guess what…just because they should stay doesn’t mean they will/are. Remember last year? So by your estimate we will have Lee, Hawkins, Willis. I’ll add Johnson in there for good measure. We might get lucky and keep Poythress. Plus the 4 incoming. Guess what. You still have 7 kids that have seen basically no college basketball time. Lee, Hawkins, and Willis won’t be magically better because they practiced a lot of minutes this year. What the team needs is someone who can Coach against the best Coaches in the country. Not recruit the best. But Coach when 18 year olds need a Coach. Not someone yelling “go” and “run”. I suck at sports. But I can “go” and “run” somewhat. But I still would get beasted like ALL of our players do every game (even in wins) if I don’t know how/haven’t been taught to play at that level.

• Dirk Minniefieldnot
      8:12 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

9. 8generationsblue
    6:56 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Not as excited about the McDonalds AA label considering last year and especially this years team. Talent without passion, desire, and fight doesn’t mean as much.

10. M
    7:03 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I have a feeling Ulis plays with a chip on his shoulder. Towns seems to be a work horse too. Of course we won’t know until next season. Would be good to get a lockdown type defender on the perimeter.

• brain
      7:14 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Keep in mind Liggins wasn’t a lock down defender right away. He grew into it.

• M
      9:39 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

True. Let me word it differently, I hope we get an athletic wing capable of playing defense.

11. sue
    7:13 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Very cool!!! Congrats! I’m happy for them. They deserve it. Cal continues to get the talent. Like I say, he’s the best recruiter in the game. No doubt about it. I just wish we had someone else to actually coach these young stars.

12. Orney Focker
    7:14 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

You will never convince Cal that he screwed up.

13. Duuuuuude
    7:15 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I love this photo!

14. j mac
    7:15 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

you all are pathetic, these guys haven’t even finished their hs seasons and some of you all are already ripping them and questioning their desire? I love being a die hard bleed blue cats fan but most of you all really give us a bad name. I mean seriously can Kentucky fans be happy about ANYTHING? My lord you all are PATHETIC.

…..and obviously amnestic because obviously you all have forgotten the BCG days, please just be happy and enjoy the rest of this season before you get the trash talk started for next year.

15. Turnandburn
    7:20 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

How is the class of 2019 looking?

16. Rob
    7:35 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Excited for these 4. Maybe they’ll gel with the remainder of the group next year.

17. Kevin
    7:45 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

OK KSR let’s get the 40-0 talk going for next season and don’t the new T-shirt that says “don’t worry the twins are coming back’

18. hmmm...
    7:56 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

if the twins do happen to come back , we still need to get a strong 3 or develop willis a lot better than he is now, I think booker is too small and slow to thrive at a 3 and if yalll think james young is slackin defensively lately booker is gonna push your buttons to the max , hes a great shooter and can score with the best but will give up a lot of buckets unless cal works on his quickness

19. blueaville
    8:01 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

no offense but i don’t give a crap if we get Mcd’s AA anymore. I’m sick of the attitudes. Lots of good it’s done us the past two years.

20. Ricky
    8:06 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I don’t get to high on these so called MCDONALDS ALL-AMERICANS. They are super stars in high school and way over rated. When they get to the next level they get exposed with all the bad habits they learned from the not so good talent they play against. This years team is a perfect example. I have lowered my expectations from here on out.

21. rukiddingme
    8:35 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I would much rather have a roster full of White Castle All Americans and two boxes of fart chips sitting on the bench.

22. Robin Hood
    8:39 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Me and my merry band of hillbillies are going back to Sherwood forest now, had enough of this McDonald’s game they call basketball

23. Great Expectations
    8:42 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Maybe we can set the expectation right now for going 0-40 next year so we wont be disappointed when we go 17-14 and finish about 5th or 6th again in the SEC

24. SoonerCat
    8:48 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Keep calm Ulis and Booker are coming!

25. real talk
    9:38 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I can sense their lack of pride and effort already

26. specialetta
    6:48 am January 30, 2014 Permalink

#14, I agree with you. I am hoping these are trolls and not UK fans………

27. Jordan
    11:00 am January 30, 2014 Permalink

I knew this would happen. I tweeted at Matt last night that because our entire class is McDs AA’s, that it gives not only other fan bases but our own fans to say, “Cal only recruits all-americans. He needs to get some 3-4yr 2 and 3 star players so we have experience”