Tonight is important for Benny Snell

You probably noticed Benny Snell didn’t get any clock last Sunday night in the Steelers’ nationally-televised, primetime game against the Tennessee Titans. Snell missed the entire game with a groin injury he suffered one week earlier in a preseason game against the Chiefs; however, he is expected to be back on the field tonight for Pittsburgh’s final preseason game. In his own words, he is “100 percent healthy.”

It is important for Snell to get back on the field because Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin named Snell as one of the players who “needed to to prove they can contribute to the team.”

Then when asked what Snell needs to do Thursday night, Tomlin said, “He’s just got to continue the upward trajectory of what he has shown us up to this point. I’ll be really specific there. He made a kick off tackle in the first preseason game. He made a significant punt tackle in the second preseason game. Notice I’m talking about things other than the things that you naturally measure Benny Snell in regards to because he is trying to get on the football team and carve out a role for himself.

“He’ll probably cover a punt or a kick before he carries the football and that’s just the realities of it.”

Snell carried the ball 20 times for 42 yards in Pittsburgh’s first two preseason games. Tonight he’ll get plenty of opportunities as Pittsburgh rests its starters. One reporter asked if he can handle that workload; Snell replied, “With Benny Snell football, you take a full workload every game.”

See it tonight at 7:00 pm when the Panthers host the Steelers on the NFL Network.

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for Tonight is important for Benny Snell

1. j
    5:36 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

Let’s go Benny!!!

2. MtnCat
    5:53 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

I love me some Benny Snell football!

3. WKY Cat
    6:14 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

I’m afraid lack of speed will hurt him.

• Bourbon-n-Coke
      8:21 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

Agreed. Love Benny but afraid he’s not NFL fast.

• RAGE
      11:39 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

I agree he isn’t even NFL linebacker fast…

4. notFromhere
    8:57 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

He’s got 2 catches in 2 targets, and 3 yards a carry last I checked. No tackles yet

5. mashburnfan1
    10:39 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

8 carries for 12 yards and 2 catches for 23 yards. There were no holes opened for him and 8 carries is not much to get in the flow of a game. Speed had nothing to do with it as they were carries up the middle. People have doubted Benny for a long time so that will drive him to succeed. E Smith was not fast and he had a great career, not saying Benny is going to be like that but he will be fine. Does a lot of things and is great in the locker room which that team needed, he will find a way to make a difference.

6. RAGE
    11:37 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

I got some bad comments on here last time I posted about Benny.. But my personal opinion is he ain’t fast enough for the NFL… Unless the line is able to really open a hole… Benny is a good back but has little ability to create by himself… if the defense can force him lateral before he can hit the hole he isn’t fast enough to bounce outside or create for himself… He has to go straight ahead and get started going downhill to be effective… If he goes laterally any at all he really struggles…. I think the only way Benny can be successful in the NFL is to run behind a really great offensive line and if he has only an average offensive line he is going to really struggle in the NFL and could have a very short career…

Last time I made the comment that I wasn’t a real big Benny fan… I had a couple people accuse me of not even being a Kentucky fan.. Let me say I had no problem with him playing and he really played hard.. I just wasn’t a big fan of how he talked about himself in the third person or how he was the best back in the SEC.. Maybe I am just old school but if you are good allow someone else to talk about how good you are.. The tv is literally full of people who do that for a living and will recognize you for your play… Again I ain’t saying there is anything wrong with Benny or anything and he seems like a good young man I just didn’t like that JMO… He supplied a lot of bulletin board material and the comment he made after the Tenn game I didn’t like either… But that is JMO before anyone says I am wrong I may be.. I really hope he has a great NFL career I just don’t see it and was obviously shocked when he was taken in the fourth round… Being a good locker room guy like I read earlier can only help you so far.. Him catching the ball will help but averaging less than 3 yards a carry on the preseason is not a good sign…

• RAGE
      11:47 pm August 29, 2019 Permalink

Also I know somebody is going to bash me about the fourth round draft comment… They are going to say he had three 1,000 yard rushing seasons in the SEC.. But really a 1,000 yard rushing season is an over rated stat now that teams are playing more games than ever… Kentucky and in our offense should have a RB run for 1,000 yards every season.. It is Stoops style of ground and pound conservative football…. Inam just saying there are a lot of college RBs that could have done that in our offense… But again I ain’t diminishing what he did at Kentucky he did help us have one of our greatest seasons ever… He basically was the offense cause we couldn’t throw it…

• 4everUKblue
      8:01 am August 30, 2019 Permalink

Bashing you would be like clubbing a baby seal. Maybe it’s not your fault you’re an idiot.

• RAGE