Today’s show should be interesting (Wednesday Show Thread)

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. It’s been a crazy week or so here at KSR, capped off by last night’s news that John Higgins is suing us. Tune in to hear if Matt, Ryan, Shannon, and Drew address the matter, along with all of the other news of the day.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

73 Comments for Today’s show should be interesting (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. ukjaybrat
    9:54 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

So this is clearly a frivolous lawsuit, but could KSR actually be shooting themselves i nthe foot by talking about the case while it’s ongoing? just curious

• Realme
      10:09 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

I figured they’d go all No Comment about it. But listener me hopes they fight that idiot loudly.

2. loservilletard
    9:54 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Come on Matt, use the lawsuit as your method to make sure Higgins never does another UK game ever again. His bias is showing in the form of a lawsuit. When he finally has to settle, make that a condition of you agreeing to settle the frivolous suit.

• ukjaybrat
      9:59 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

his suit claims that the reactions of the uk fanbase are absoltuely NOT normal. but officials from all across the country have said time and again they get this reaction all the time and it absolutely IS normal (not to condone it of course, it’s still awful) but still.

• Good point Jay. No sane person condones the behavior, but if other refs say this is “normal”, then his lawsuit is based (at least in part) on a lie.

• Realme
      10:18 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

The only thing KSR is guilty of is posting a video they didn’t realize had his personal info, which they removed as soon as they learned about it. Otherwise, I’m pretty sure you’re allowed to say so if a ref sucks. I hope Higgins ref friends don’t hold his hurt feelings against UK or Cal this year though.

• ukjaybrat
      10:45 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

exactly. and IF they get bit, that’s probably what will do it to them is the video. Which sucks, because they posted the video not because of his personal info but because it was the best montage of all of his awful calls at the time.

• J-Dub421
      11:05 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

On another note: How did KSR damage Higgins roofing business? Why would anyone in Nebraska give a rat’s fart about the lunatic rantings of some disgruntled Kentucky fans?

• Realme
      11:07 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Yeah Jdub. Actual Nebraska roofing consumers aren’t really going to think he pooped on someone’s roof.

• runningunnin.454
      11:23 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Lunatic? I now claim insanity.

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

RG I highly doubt you left death threats for Higgins or tried to sabotage his business.

• runningunnin.454
      11:54 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

True; but I retain my Freedom of Speech right to point out his incompetency and bias.

• To be fair, I think the suit claims that the calls clogged up his phone lines to the point that customers couldn’t get through, and that his employees were frightened. Maybe more. I certainly didn’t read the suit. I wouldn’t have known the commenters were named if DrSayre hadn’t combed through it.

3. DrSayre
    9:59 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Shout out to all the comment section commenters who had a comment in the complaint: GUNSLINGER, CalForTheWin, Adam, bradbcats, bluetide, runningunnin.454, ukjaybrat, flappy, and madarchitect I think that was everybody

• runningunnin.454
      10:07 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Obviously he never read the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

• Realme
      10:10 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Wow Jay! Great job.

• Are you serious? That is hilarious! So some of us do not get our 15 minutes of fame. LOL!

I was going to say be careful what you say today, now it appears to be REALLY true! 🙂

Of course I have to be careful for sure or the self-appointed police officer of the comment section will give the Rooferee my GPS coordinates.

• Realme
      10:12 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

And RG! Feel free to revisit what your comments were for those of us too lazy to read teh lawsuit.

• DrSayre
      10:18 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

It’s pretty easy to read. The KSR comments are all on pages 7 through 17 (along with the Facebook reviews) and the font of the text is the same as the shot thread so they are easy to find.

• The interwebs are forever, and KSR & WordPress archive everything.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Don’t remember. ha ha.

• I had not read the suit because I didn’t know they would actually name folks from the comments.
      Here are a couple (pretty innocuous IMO):

40. Commenter # 1 to the “Barleycorn’s Tuesday” article wrote,
      runningunnin.454 March 28, 2017 at 9:12 am | Permalink

John Higgins’ business can crash and burn…he is corrupt to the core.
      And while Cal is at the Final Four, if anybody wants an interview, Cal should
      blast the guy to hell nation wide. Any fair minded neutral basketball fan
      knows how that went down.

41. Commenter # 2 wrote,
      ukjaybrat March 28, 2017 at 9:34 am | Permalink

I don’t know what he rating was before. but on facebook it’s down to 1.1
      stars
      lmao.
      I won’t attack his personal life because i think it’s wrong. but i can’t say i
      don’t find it absolutely hilarious.

• Higgins tries to buttress his case with:

44. Commenter # 13 accurately responded,

flappy March 28, 2017 at 10:49 am | Permalink
      This post is disgraceful, and KSR should delete it. This is incitement, and
      extremely unprofessional by any standard of journalism. With large audiences
      come large responsibilities.

• Anyway, no one in the comments is being sued of course. He’s only using the comments to try and prove his case. I think Matt will probably settle out of court with him, but I’m no lawyer. Maybe it just depends on how sympathetic the judge is to one side or the other.

• I’m just kind of disappointed that I didn’t make the cut! Okay, not really, but this is kooky stuff.

• Realme
      10:37 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Me too Chris. I’m a little jealous.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Hopefully, this lawsuit will preclude his officiating any more UK games. Can I just say…
      I wouldn’t let him put a roof on a doghouse…incompetent is incompetent.

• ukjaybrat
      10:54 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

ksr famous.
      twitter famous
      now court famous… yay me… i think

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

I didn’t make the cut. I need to step up my game.

4. Realme
    10:15 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

One of Higgins biggest supporters is of course Pat Adams. Another ref that thinks it’s his job to impact the outcome of a game.

5. loservilletard
    10:18 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

If higgins is that bothered, he should quit reffing immediately. The game is better off without him.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

So, am I exposing myself to a lawsuit if I comment on this thread?

Oops!

7. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Bill Shakespeare said it best:

“The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers”

8. wes720
    10:39 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Lavar is like a train wreck no matter how bad it is everyone wants to see it

9. kampus korner
    10:40 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Unlike most civil suits of this nature which name any company or person that might have deep pockets to pay a lot of money, this suit clearly targets the principal voices (Matt and Drew) of Kentucky Sports Radio (KSR) and Kentucky Sports Radio itself. The radio stations which carry the KSR show were not named, nor was Iheartradio which allows the KSR program to be heard via the Internet.

Were this a serious suit designed to hold all entities accountable for the harm inflicted on their client and to recover huge damages, many more entities connected to the KSR show would have been named. Without naming Iheartradio, I’m not sure the Federal District Court in Nebraska has jurisdiction to hear the complaint. Iheartradio is the transmitting entity that carried the KSR show to Nebraska. Additionally, by far the vast majority of crank and threatening calls came from Kentucky, not Nebraska. Most all of the evidence that would be introduced in this case would come from residents of Kentucky.

i suspect, KSR’s attorneys will file a Motion to Dismiss the Complaint on at least two principal grounds: (1) that the suit fails to state a valid claim upon which the Federal Court can grant relief. There are a plethora of United States Supreme Court decisions which are in KSR’s favor and (2) that, regardless of the merits of plaintiffs’ complaint, Nebraska has no jurisdiction over the Defendants and thus is an improper venue. The suit could be filed in Kentucky but the Plaintiffs will face the same substantial burdens of overcoming long standing legal precedents which offer protection to KSR and its employees.

If anything, I suspect Matt Jones relishes the attention, this suit will bring to KSR and him personally. It offers the kind of national publicity that Matt will milk for all its worth. In the end, Matt, Drew and KSR will prevail because the law protects what they did. Hopefully, Matt has the right kind of insurance to pay legal counsel to defend everybody. I suspect he probably does given how controversial his program can be at times. Also, most people can add an insurance rider to the their homeowners policy to cover the kinds of torts alleged in the plaintiffs’ complaint.

On the other hand, the plaintiffs are represented highly qualified attorneys in a major law firm (Kutak Rock, LLP) with more than 500 lawyers in several states. These attorneys had to give this matter serious consideration. They may be trying to duplicate what attorney Charles Harder did in the Hulk Hogan case which was to win a $140 million judgment and bankrupt Gawker. Of course, in that case, Peter Theil was paying Hogan’s enormous attorney fees. I wonder who is paying Higgins’ attorney fees? This will be an intensely litigated case and is not the kind of case, a big law firm would take on a contingency fee or pro bono. Hmmm. I wonder what Tom Jurich might be doing with all that bonus money he raked in from the University of Louisville Foundation…?

• Will there be a final exam? 😉

Just kidding. You must be an attorney yourself. Good info.

• rabblerabblerabble
      11:32 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

You only kind of paid attention in Civil Procedure, huh?

I think you may be right that there is an issue with personal jurisdiction, but if the court dismisses this case on its merits, I’d be shocked. Also, venue and personal jurisdiction are separate (but related) concepts. See you in court!

• J-Dub421
      11:36 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

If you were in Nebraska and needed a roofer, would you really care about the disgruntled opinions of some Kentucky fans in regards to a basketball game? No, you would not.

10. J-Dub421
    10:47 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

If I were Lonzo Ball’s girlfriend, I would probably dump him after much ridicule if he asked me to cut his meat for him.

11. Realme
    10:53 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

I don’t necessarily think schools need to pay every athlete the same amount of money. Athletes should be able to profit of of their own name through endorsements or selling autographs, etc., and have representation without losing eligibility.

• J-Dub421
      11:02 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

I am undecided about endorsements. However, I definitely think college athletes should be able to profit from autograph sales. I also think they should get a cut of their jersey sales. If you’re popular enough to drive substantial jersey sales, you shouldn’t be the only one not profiting from it.

• Realme
      11:08 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Oh I like that jersey sales thing. A measurable way to tell how much a school / the NCAA makes off of a specific player, and give them a fair cut.

• runningunnin.454
      11:09 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Probably best if deferred; but, I think if they’re images or names are involved…they should be compensated.

• Realme
      11:11 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Yes, defer for their own good and to prevent distractions of “look at Karl’s new Lamborghini” or whatever. (Not that Karl would fit in that kind of car.)

• ukjaybrat
      11:27 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

yeah but then brad would earn more than he deserves based on just jersey sales

• runningunnin.454
      11:31 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

I remember Steve Alford at Indiana posed for a sorority calendar for charity; and, he had to sit out a game suspension. More NCAA insanity.

• J-Dub421
      11:33 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

If people are buying Brad’s jersey then he should get a cut. Big Baller Brand’s shoes look ratchet, but if people are willing to pay for them, then oh well.

• KatsKlaws
      1:57 pm October 4, 2017 Permalink

I am not a fan of BBB …but to be clear the shoes are not ratchet anymore…they are really kinda hot, not $395 hot, but hot nonetheless.

12. Realme
    11:12 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Would love to have an elite shot blocker again. Please let this be true.

• J-Dub421
      11:17 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

They just ratcheted up my excitement level for basketball.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:18 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

It would appear UL fans don’t like their interim AD, even tho’ he has longtime ties to their university…all because he is a UK grad.
    They think he will give their playbook to UK…..lol.

• J-Dub421
      11:24 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

They liked Pitino and he coached at UK for a decade. U of L fans make no sense.

• RealCatsFan
      11:25 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

He was in my HS graduating class. Didn’t really know him – he was the quarterback on Trinity’s football team back in the early 80’s. Didn’t know that he played baseball too.

14. DrSayre
    11:19 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Been awhile since Ive been to a game, but Kentucky is undefeated when Im at Commonwealth Stadium when they are playing a non-SEC team and Kentucky is winless when Im at Commonwealth Stadium against a SEC team

• Realme
      11:21 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Clean slate at Kroger Field.

15. J-Dub421
    11:30 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Russ Smith was paid in hookers.

16. Blue Bill
    11:32 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Pleassssse NCAA send John Higgins to Rupp, pleeeaaassee.

• DrSayre
      11:38 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

We might be in the minority, but I agree with you! I want John Higgins in Rupp Arena for one of those games we should be favored by 50.

17. Realme
    11:39 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

YES GET BOWDEN THE BALL MORE!

• J-Dub421
      11:41 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

More Bowden, more Conrad, more King, more Garrett Johnson, more receivers/passing in general.

• J-Dub421
      11:43 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Play action has been our friend this season. It works better bor Snell too because teams can’t load the box and have to account for the possibility of SJ passing.

• J-Dub421
      11:44 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

*for, not bor.

• runningunnin.454
      11:45 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

He is definitely a big play, guy…like to see him in a quick slant.

18. J-Dub421
    11:51 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Let’s win some games and get more coaches fired!

• runningunnin.454
      11:58 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Schools are sometimes just too quick to give up on a coach. Les Miles should never have been fired at LSU; Charlie Strong is doing well at S. Florida, and Mark Richt is doing well at Miami.

• RealCatsFan
      12:18 pm October 4, 2017 Permalink

Had a customer call me Monday who lives in Louisiana. Apparently Tiger Nation is in full meltdown mode right now. I think the majority of the fan base would take Les back in a heartbeat.

19. RealCatsFan
    11:55 am October 4, 2017 Permalink

Can someone notify Jeff Lynne that his life is in danger for being mentioned on KSR?