Today on KSR: Reliving Last Night

Well, last night was not pretty. I don’t need to tell you that, we all saw it, we all felt it and I’m guessing – we’re all still feeling it today. Grab some coffee or beer (last night was heartbreaking, I’m not going to judge), cue up “The Sound of Silence” by Simon and Garfunkel and let’s all wallow in our sadness and pity together while I put the painfulness of last night into short and (bitter) sweet words.

It’s been 31 years…

I’ve never seen a win against Florida in my lifetime. I know there are TONS of fans who are in the same boat but, every time I say that it just feels more unreal. We’ve been so close so many times, how have we not gotten the job done yet? Will we ever get it done? I can’t help but ask that question this morning. Call me a bad fan but, every year I say “If we can beat Florida and Louisville, I’d be happy losing every other game. Just give me those two.” Don’t get me wrong I want us to win all the time but, man, I just want us to beat Florida so bad. I’m tired of us losing to Florida and most of all, I’m tired of getting hyped up about us possibly beating Florida only to lose and spend the entire night/next day mad about it.

This picture infuriates me.

By now I’m sure we’ve all seen this picture and if you haven’t, sorry for ruining your morning. I was watching the game last night with some friends who don’t know football at all and there were multiple times where one of them said “Why are they doing that? That can’t be right” I had no response. I’ve never coached a football team, and my playing experience is only limited to backyard pickup games growing up but, I have watched a lot of very good and very bad football. All this to say, no matter how much you know football, we can all agree: Kentucky played stupid football last night and it’s as simple as that.

I’ve already had the “Fire Stoops” conversation three times.

Guys. No. I get it, we’re all upset and I think the majority of BBN think this is on Stoops. I agree. This game is 100% on Stoops. To quote Benny in the post-game presser, “Florida didn’t beat us, we beat ourselves.” It’s true, as I and countless other people who’ve written about this game have said – we made dumb decisions, we didn’t adjust or change our game to adapt to Florida and we just flat-out fell apart. That’s on coaching. But, why is BBN as a whole always so quick to jump on the “Fire Stoops” bandwagon? I love love love BBN with my whole heart but this is something that makes me mad about the fanbase as a whole. Are we just too spoiled from being a basketball powerhouse? Are we too eager to become an Alabama-like SEC team? Whatever the reason is, I just don’t think there’s a need to bring out the pitchforks on Stoops the day after a bad game.

We’re not “underdogs” anymore.

A popular metaphor for Kentucky Football is that we’re like Charlie Brown, always getting the football taken out from under us at the last second. As fans, it still really feels that way but, I don’t think that’s true of our team anymore. We aren’t underdogs in every game, that’s no excuse for losing. We should’ve won that game, we could’ve won that game and if we had – we wouldn’t have been considered the underdogs. We have the ability to be a legitimate, good football team. There were moments last night where we were a good football team. It’s not an underdog story anymore.

Failing on the big stage.

I don’t think Kentucky could’ve failed on a bigger stage last night. The game was sold out, the analysts were picking us, the fans were pumped…stop me if you’ve heard a scenario like this before. At the end of the game I felt the same feeling I felt two years ago at the end of the Auburn game, except this time I felt worse. This year was different, the stakes were higher and the stage was bigger. But, in SEC football every game is a big stage game and Kentucky just isn’t preforming well during big stage games. Like Drew wrote last night – I still love the Cats and I’ll still cheer and watch every game but, it’ll be a long time before I get hyped about another “big stage” or “program changing” game again.

On a positive note…

Okay, I’m done being negative (at least for the next hour) about this. Let’s focus on a little bit of positivity. The anticipation in Lexington this past week was insane, I’ve never seen or felt anything like it during football season before. The banners, the sell-out, the 500 plus KSR remote, I mean, WOW. The BBN may hate this team and be down right now (I just admitted I was) but man, this past week was fun right? It was really really fun.

If you need some more cheering up…

Might I suggest binge-watching The Good Place, an NBC comedy created by the people who did Parks and Rec. I watched the whole first season on Netflix in about four days and found myself laughing so hard at times my roommate knocked on my door to make sure I was okay. I think it’ll raise your spirits. But if you need more, here’s a reminder that at least our football coach isn’t in a terrible Belk commercial and at least our Basketball team didn’t hire strippers.

Happy Sunday and Go Cats!

@savannahpattKSR

Article written by Savannah Patton

My first words were Go Big Blue. Follow me on twitter:@savannahpattKSR

19 Comments for Today on KSR: Reliving Last Night

1. BluKudzu
    10:24 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Lucy wins again.
    Death
    Taxes
    UK Football.

2. Cruginator
    10:26 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

too nice – we PAY way too much money for thsi type crap – piss poor coaching – UNACCEPTABLE

disappinted for the players – they deserve better coaching

• foamfinger
      11:11 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

The thing I love about your comment is that you included the players in deserving more from their coaching staff. The players did everything they could and the fans came out to support them. I’m glad Stoops shouldered the blame on the miscommunication instead of just blaming the players or someone else. I’m PISSED that Gran (or Stoops) is being stubborn about trying to run out the clock with a team that isn’t dominant in the run like it was a year ago.

Gran called up a great first half. Keep that mentality that we are going to run whatever we want and involve all the players through the entire game. LET JOHNSON THROW THE BALL MORE.

3. USMC5150
    10:40 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

I was at the game and the atmosphere was great! We lost and I’m not even mad surprisingly just deflated. Players made mistakes and so did coaches. I know a lot of people are mad at the coaches and the style of coaching. That’s their style and that’s what they believe in. We don’t have to like it or agree with it. Our team is getting better without a doubt and they are a Team. They aren’t scum bags or out for themselves like some other programs. Our program is getting close to turning the corner so hang in there!

• Ridge Runner
      10:45 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

The bad thing for me.. is I like Stoops. He’s done so much for us but it’s like I also can’t live in denial this many instances.

• KYcats11
      10:53 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

I gotta agree with you Ridge runner

• foamfinger
      11:14 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

I LOVE Stoops, but I hope the entire coaching staff spends today going over film and reevaluating what they are envisioning this team to be. We are much better throwing and being creative with our screen game and Wildcat than we were as being the grind it out team we were last year. Johnson will go down as one of the most beloved QBs if they let him make plays. He did everything that was asked of him this offseason. He bulked up, worked in ball security, and his short to mid range game. You have to let him make the opposing defenses respect the throw to open things up for Snell.

• ModernThirst
      11:17 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

I can always give players a pass. They’re young guys, often playing over their heads against some SEC competition and they’re still learning the game. I expect mistakes and I expect them to just get beat. But there’s no excuse for a coach making millions to fail to improve on the most basic of repeated mistakes. Just none.

Stoops and Gran have been around long enough to know better. They should not be continuously saying “this is on us” and everyone just moves on to the next big game, only to be let down by other avoidable mistakes.

It’s time for him and the staff to step up. No more “ifs” and no more “learning experiences” for the staff. Players? Sure. Staff? No. You’re not here to learn to be a coach, you’re here to succeed at coaching. Do it, no more excuses.

And if 7 wins and a .500 record in the worst SEC in 25 years is our high water mark since the early 80s when we’re supposedly recruiting as well as we ever have, well, that’s not good enough either.

4. Ridge Runner
    10:42 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

It pains me to say it as I am old enough to remember our last win vs UF, seen many coaches & games, etc… but yes, coaching lost the game in many ways. Stoops is starting to wear on me with bad oversight and coaching. Even when we win, it masks the bad coaching from the headlines. Sorry, as I bleed blue but it is what it is.

• TBW3011
      11:20 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

He’s clueless when it comes to in game. Clueless. Has been since day 1. I hoped he’d figure it out and adjust in time, but he hasn’t. It is what it is at this point.

5. luke_emberton
    11:12 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Stoops and Gran cost us the game they deserve to get roasted this week you ask for a seek out we give you one and guess what you choke and blow it

• catsarerunnin
      11:45 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

You hit the nail on the head really good comment post more often please add punctuation next time

• KYcats11
      11:59 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Lol catsarerunnin I really lick the comment you posted you really just roasted lukeemberton and it was really funny I really like your sense of humor it was very funny

6. maximumscott
    11:48 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

The conservative play calling almost cost us S.Miss and SC. Both games we were dominating until we tried to run the clock out. This time we happen to lose. I hope he reconsiders his gameplan and quit being so conservative when we have a lead as small as 10. It would be different if there was 6-7 mins left in the 4th with a 14 point lead, but 12 mins left with a 13 point lead? We needed a dagger and he went conservative. SJ was dropping dimes on their DBs all day. Why stop? There should never be a moment in the coaches head in the future that should suggest we can lose if we are too aggressive because conservative got us beat also.

• Rabbi Li
      11:52 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

maximumscott – This is an easy call.

We were winners when we were going for it.
      And we lost when we weren’t.

It’s the fable of life.

7. Rabbi Li
    11:50 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

1. Low IQ defensive corners.
    2. Eventually you have to blame the coach because it’s procedural issues.

They teach this in Pee Wee (9 – 12 year old), Jr High, & High School.

There’s multiple ways the corners should have recognized a guy was out there without even seeing him.
    A. Only 6 men lined up on the line of scrimmage for Florida.
    B. Only 10 players on the field (from UKs view)

Most teams have a guy on D designated to count players for both sides.

There’s many ways to prevent this from happening. However since UK has rap music blasting all practice it’s clear why the players aren’t getting the message (distracted).

#KrogerKnuckleheads

8. CPACAT
    1:40 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

CJ Conrad’s big gainer called back because the WR made him ineligible, was also a simple procedural error.

9. ncaa is in on it
    2:14 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

there have been multiple coaching mistake in the last three years especially on special teams. Time to go. He has had plenty of time to make something better of the program that has the whole state behind it a lots of money. He should resign from embarrassment!!! He knew something was wrong and plenty of time outs to use….everyone sitting a our house was yelling call a time out!!!!

10. UKBoo
    10:20 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

There were plenty of lapses in play calling and alignments and it certainly falls entirely on the coaching staff. This was a big game for them as a unit and they choked. But the last defensive choke was probably the best thing that could have happened, given the fact that UF was probably going to score anyway. Scoring quickly on that play gave UK more time to get where they needed to be for a FG opportunity. Holding UF and giving up a score one or two plays later would have killed almost any chance UK had. The D was not able to stuff UF like they did USC so I was glad they messed up on the final TD play.