Today on KSR: Moving on Monday

I don’t know about you, but after a day of reflection (aka, wallowing), the loss to Florida doesn’t feel any better; in fact, I’m even more upset. Not only was Kentucky the better team, the atmosphere at Kroger Field was primed for an upset. I may not have been there, but the energy buzzed through television, radio, and social media. As with any true heartbreak, I tortured myself by scrolling through Instagram and Facebook yesterday. The pictures and videos from the stadium gave me chills, which hardened into disgust because we let another huge opportunity slip through our fingers. From the infuriating targeting calls to Florida’s backup quarterback’s heroics, it all just sucked. Kentucky should be ranked today, but instead, the Cats didn’t even receive a single AP vote. Ugh.

Yet, it’s a new week, and there’s a new opponent in the crosshairs, so I guess we have to pick ourselves up off the mat. Feel free to take your time. It’s a Monday, after all.

Here are some things to help us turn the page.

Mark Stoops’ weekly press conference is at noon

Like the rest of us, Stoops couldn’t hide his frustrations with the targeting rule after the game. He’ll meet with the media at noon to close the book on Florida and move on to Mississippi State. You can watch the live stream on KSR or check the site shortly after for a full recap.

New depth chart

Before we hear from Stoops, we’ll get a new depth chart, which should shed light on who will fill TJ Carter’s shoes as he sits out the first half for his ejection for targeting. We should also get an update on Phil Hoskins, the defensive tackle who had to leave the game during warmups with an unspecified injury. He tweeted this yesterday afternoon:

We’ll also find out the South Carolina game time

I can’t imagine it not being a night game in Columbia, but we’ll find out later today. Here’s the slate of SEC games for September 28 if you want to guess:

DATE AWAY HOME
9/28 – TBD Ole Miss (2) Alabama
9/28 – TBD Mississippi State (8) Auburn
9/28 – TBD Towson (9) Florida
9/28 – TBD (17) Texas A&M Arkansas
9/28 – TBD Kentucky South Carolina
9/28 – TBD Northern Illinois Vanderbilt

Mississippi State is the early favorite

The Bulldogs opened as an 8.5-point favorite in Vegas yesterday, but the line quickly moved to -7. If you got it at -8.5, consider yourself lucky.

John Calipari will visit Jonathan Kuminga

Basketball has taken a backseat to football recently (and rightly so), but John Calipari’s making some big moves. On Thursday, top 50 power forward Lance Ware committed to Kentucky, and on Saturday, five-star wing Terrence Clarke did the same, also announcing his intentions to reclassify to 2020. 247 Sports now has Clarke at the No. 4 player in the 2020 class, making him Kentucky’s highest ranked recruit since Skal Labissiere in 2014.

Today, Cal will look to keep the ball rolling, meeting with five-star forward Jonathan Kuminga, the top player in the 2021 class. Kuminga attends The Patrick School in New Jersey, the alma mater of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Dakari Johnson, and Nick Richards, and is AAU teammates with Ware. He’s been considered a Duke lean for a while, but maybe a visit from Calipari and Kenny Payne will change his mind.

Speaking of basketball…

Did you see our coverage of Calipari’s preseason roundtable?

If not, click the links below to see how Calipari feels about the upcoming season (spoiler: good).

Calipari on the 2019-20 Wildcats
Calipari on recruiting
Calipari on his lifetime contract at Kentucky
Calipari on golfing with Barack Obama

Did you see Benny Snell’s run?

Benny finally got his first NFL run and it was a good one, a 23-yard gain on 3rd and one:

…Unfortunately, that was Benny’s only carry. He finished second on the team in rushing behind James Connor, who had 11 carries for 33 yards and a touchdown.

Can’t hurt to give Benny the ball a little more, just saying.

How about these things at the Titans game?

It was an odd day at Nissan Stadium. First, a piece of pyrotechnic equipment caught on fire after the pregame introductions:

And at halftime, a cloud in the shape of the No. 9 hovered over the stadium while the Titans retired Steve McNair’s No. 9 jersey:

Photo by Gabby Stepanick

Sadly, the Titans lost to the Colts 19-17. On Thursday, they play Jacksonville and I’m seriously concerned Josh Allen might break Marcus Mariota.

KSR Dog of the Day

Mack is the only bulldog we’re going to allow around here this week.

18 Comments for Today on KSR: Moving on Monday

1. 4everUKblue
    9:08 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Thank F-king god!

• runningunnin.454
      9:25 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

One more thing, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Sorry, couldn’t resist. Coach wants the stadium full; then, we play 3 quarters, the opponent plays 4 quarters…that’s not going to fill the stadium going forward.

• runningunnin.454
      9:26 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

One more thing, ha ha ha ha ha. The officials, atrocious as they were, did not cost us the game.

• cats646
      9:32 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

All of it together cost us the game. Officials, questionable play calling, two dropped picks on their scoring drive, missed field goal, lack of depth in the secondary. If every one of those things didn’t happen in the same quarter, we win. Man we were better than them too!! This one hurts bad!

• StillBP
      9:48 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

The officials didn’t cost us the game, they just made it a lot easier for FL to come back and a lot more difficult for us to win. We could’ve overcome the unfortunate no calls on them and bad calls on us, I suppose

• StillBP
      9:49 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

But I’ve been ready to move on since yesterday. I really wasn’t expecting us to win anyway, so I just couldn’t be too surprised we lost.

• 4everUKblue
      10:20 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

don’t forget the two interceptions and the fumble, oh and the ball thrown way over Bowden’s head with him wide open and likely a TD.

• BluKudzu
      10:46 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I do not know if I am the right kind of fan for UK football.

I say what I think, based on what I witnessed, and freely criticize stupid stuff my team does, since I buy the tickets and make the donations. Does that entitle me to an opinion, good or bad?

Should I care what others think about my posts, who have obviously settled for idiocy from the coaches, who are very well compensated for not being a top performing team in the weakest division in the SEC?

EFFFFF THAT BS!

Saturday’s game against Florida was an abomination. That mess falls squarely at the feet of the coaches. {typical sheep airhead responses: 1) He knows how to coach, they were 10-3 last year, 2) If you do not like it, go cheer for [name of other team here], 3) You are not a true fan, 4) The coach was not playing the game on the play that was horrible or 5) You are an idiot or some other derogatory term, ………..please forgive me I may have left out another Luddite reply or two….}

Save the responses for someday when/if I should ever care of your flaccid support for a program that has just taken a huge step back to our future. These games, if it mattered, would definitely cost any other coach his job, at almost all the other SEC member schools. Here when (notice I did not use the term “lf”) we lose, the Kool Aid drinking sheep are now programmed to accept the losing in unprecedented, ignorant ways, and just accepting it, with your next cup of Very Berry.

One thing is for certain, if we have teams like we had last year, you were elated to be 10-3, I thought we should have been 12-1 (In Fact, I even predicted 11-2). Anyone want to debate either the Tennessee or TAMU losses? Did not think so. You will lose.

We are so close to being a good team, but the coaches have got to let these players, they brought here, to win games. We are not at the point in our program to be playing conservative football in a league where every other team is there to score as many points as they can, on every play that they can……… especially so, when you are understaffed so badly on defense, a backup QB comes in cold off the bench and picks you apart, and makes you look like the Kentucky of old, using our “non cover two” pass defense again.

If ball control and controlling the clock was so important, to keep the ball out of the other teams hands, was the plan, to give them less time and opportunity……Saturday’s game is the exact reason, the perfect example of why, that will not work. They had the ball less but scored on the possessions they had, because they were aggressive.

HMMM, maybe we should try it, or keep proving Einstein’s definition of insanity?

This is what a true fan thinks.

Insert your derogatory comments below.

• catsarerunnin
      12:32 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

Ok Kudzu. My derogatory comments are: You’re a twit and a putz.

• cats646
      11:17 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Barely losing to a top ten team by a missed field goal has never EVER cost a coach his job lol. I must be a sheep because you’re definitely an idiot.

• 4everUKblue
      11:30 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I really don’t have the time or give a sh!t enough to even read your latest diatribe kudzu, I’m guessing it’s something like a masbumfan basketball comment.

• 4everUKblue
      11:31 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Oh and I think 646 nailed it!

2. runningunnin.454
    10:00 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Well, if you’re going to watch football in Tennessee, expect a few dumpster fires.

3. The Big Lebowski
    10:13 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Kentucky is still two or three recruiting classes away from being able to dominate the middle tier of the SEC and run with the likes of Florida. After those three classes, the Coaches have to maintain and then go after those 5 stars. It’s gonna be difficult to catch Florida and then stay with them and that will take consistent recruiting and NOT losing to horrible Tennessee teams.

UGa and, then, Bama….will take herculean effort. It is not, however, impossible.

4. clarks
    10:17 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

With all that went wrong if they make the kick we win

5. Bourbon-n-Coke
    12:02 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

Stoops has done a tremendous job building our program and it is well appreciated. With that said, moving forward he needs to be locked in the locker room at halftime and prohibited from the field if we have a lead. After all these years he hasn’t learned that you can’t play prevent offense and prevent defense and expect to hold on against SEC teams. Ask Kirby Smart how it’s worked out in his games against Alabama. Keep playing to win until the last snap damnit!!