To celebrate National Beer Day, here are my 5 favorite beers

Did you know today is National Beer Day? I didn’t either until all of my friends started using it as an excuse to leave work early to go to happy hour. Turns out this excellent holiday has been around since 1933 to commemorate the Cullen-Harrison Act, which allowed for the legal sale of low-alcohol beer and wine in the US for the first time since 1920. The law was a baby step towards repealing Prohibition, which would happen several months later. I think President Franklin Roosevelt put it best when he said upon signing the law, “I think this would be a good time for a beer.”

In that spirit, I thought it’d be fun to open the discussion of our favorite beers. A craft beer nerd myself, here are my five favorite brews at the moment:

1. Good People IPA

This IPA out of Alabama is by far my favorite beer out there right now. In fact, I think I took up running just so I can enjoy it and a slice of pizza at my favorite haunt, Five Points Pizza, each Sunday.

2. Yazoo Hop Perfect

Another great IPA from Nashville’s most famous brewery

3. Lagunitas IPA

Do you sense a pattern here? I like the hops!

4. Lagunitas 12th of Never Ale

Lighter than the IPA. Hoppy with a tropical taste.

5. Stella

A lot of beer nerds say this is Europe’s equivalent of Bud Light, but hey, I like it.

When it comes to Kentucky brews, I’m a fan of West Sixth’s IPA and Session Ale. Bring on the recommendations, please, and tell me what your favorite beer is in the comments.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go celebrate.

33 Comments for To celebrate National Beer Day, here are my 5 favorite beers

1. ukcat56
    6:56 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

1. Bud Light
    2. Bud Light
    3. Bud Light
    4. Bud Light
    5. Bud Light

• hossmobile
      7:40 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

At least you will stay well hydrated.

• lexslamman
      8:08 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

Are you going to put any beers on your list?

• DrewP
      8:28 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

Bud Light Ritas!!

2. DT in DC
    7:15 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

Favorite yard beer: Miller Lite
    Favorite fancy over priced beer: Kentucky bourbon barrell ale. I live in Northern Virginia and I just found this recently. Love it!

• hossmobile
      7:40 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

I’m with you on Bourbon Barrell Ale. My favorite beer.

• lexslamman
      8:09 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

You’d take ML Light over the High Life? Blasphemy, I say! (from a proud High Life drinker)

3. JFlan
    7:35 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

That’s assuming you’re an IPA fan. For those who prefer ales, lagers, porters, etc…
    1. Deschutes Black Butte Porter
    2. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
    3. Hoegaarden Belgian White
    4. Sam Adams Winter Lager
    5. Founder’s KY Breakfast Stout

4. CatFanInBama
    7:38 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

If you can ever get your hands on it, try Snake Handler Double IPA by Good People. It’s an annual release.

5. CodyStandifer
    7:41 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

When it comes to beer, I know a little.. (at least have experimented a lot)
    1.) bells two hearted ale (American pale ale) (bells brewery).
    2.) Hopsecutioner (IPA) (Terrapin Beer Co.)
    3.) Habanero Sculpin (IPA) (Ballast Point) also..don’t let the habanero scare you.
    4.) Hogwild IPA (Aviator Brewing Company) literally the hoppiest IPA you’ll drink.
    5.) Six Point Pils (Six Point Brewery)

Happy national beer day.
    Cheers to Bamba

6. terwilliger
    7:49 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

Tyler, if you like IPA’s, you should try Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA. I have been drinking these heavy hop beers for 12 or 15 years now and I believe that is the best one out there for the money. Although I will say that Sam Adams Rebel Rouser (the 9% abv one) is pretty awesome too, as is Sierra Nevada’s “Torpedo”.

7. lexslamman
    8:02 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

5. Samuel Smith Organic Lager
    4. Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA
    3. Founders Breakfast Stout
    2. Delirium Tremens
    1. La Fin du Monde

BONUS EASY: Victory Golden Monkey
    BONUS HARD: Westvleteren 12 – a friend shared this with me the last time I visited Lexington. Good. Times.

8. Salsa from NEW YORK CITY
    8:16 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

Here’s a 5 I like right now.

1. Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
    2. Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar
    3. 3 Floyds Rabbid Rabbit
    4. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
    5. Leinenkugel Lemon Berry Shandy – Discontinued but can still be achieved by mixing their lemon shandy and berry weiss together.

9. justaguyinthebackrow
    8:49 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

I prefer good beers to very bitter beers. Here is a noninclusive list of some very good beers:

1. Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
    2. Spaten Oktoberfest Ur-Marzen
    3. Schneider-Weisse Aventinus
    4. Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock
    5. Paulaner Salvator Dopplebock

10. BiasedBigfoot
    8:52 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

1. Coke (a classic)
    2. Ale 8 (you had better try it if you’re from Ky)
    3. Cherry Coke (hey, I’m biased)
    4. Dr. Pepper
    5. Sun Drop (mountain dew sprite)
    —-outsider—–
    6. Mundet Apple Soda (try it)

P.S.
    Best Holiday of the year! Nice to have a Friday off from work.

11. 2018=9
    9:06 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

Everyone needs to check out Elysian Space dust IPA. The best

12. CATandMONKEY
    9:10 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

West 6th is my go-to ale. Been drinking IPAs for 23-odd years now. Used to like the malt of La Fin du Monde and Skullsplitter but Malty brews are just too syrupy for my palate these days…though wouldn’t turn one down. Grew up near the Canadian Border so still have a place for Molson Brador, Labatt Bleu and Moosehead. My brother hooked me up with mostly IPAs from about a half-dozen Vermont breweries over Christmas and all were superb but many were a 2 drink limit bordering on double IPAs.

Some great suggestions above (minus Bud Light) and a few that I need to try.

Bigfoot, I would take a Cold Coke classic in a glass bottle as my desert island quencher.

13. BTownUKFan
    10:14 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

No particular order, depends on what I’m thirsty for:
    Country Boy Cougar Bait
    BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout
    Bells Oberon
    Apocalypse Pestilence Porter

14. BTownUKFan
    10:16 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

Forgot one Louisville’s Great Flood Brewing Company Blonde Ale and ’37 Porter.

15. dubs2233
    10:17 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

Stella Artois….aka “Wife Beater”.

16. B-Dub88
    11:49 pm April 7, 2017 Permalink

I’m not a huge beer guy but I am a big fan of Yuengling. I don’t think hey sell it in Kentucky but if you find it it during travels, pick one up.

17. Get Sh*t Right
    1:29 am April 8, 2017 Permalink

1. Delirium Tremens – Huyghe brewery

2. Dogfish Head Namaste
    -Dogfish Head brewery

3. Celebrator Dopplebock
    – Ayinger brewery

4. Hell or High Watermelon
    -21st Amendment brewery

5. La Fin Du Monde
    -Unibroue brewery

18. catsarerunnin
    7:09 am April 8, 2017 Permalink

Bud Light bottle,Bud Light draft,Bud Light can,Bud Light followed by a shot of Woodford,shot of Woodford followed by a Bud Light. I’m a beer wuss. Tried many beers and they’re ok. But Bud Light will always be my beer of choice. I’ve been drinking it for 40 years and I’m 55….

19. KansasKAT
    10:51 am April 8, 2017 Permalink

Cannot beat ANY Samuel Smith beer……not Adams, SMITH.
    The Pale Ale is the world’s best, and the IPA is top notch.

And the Maharaja from Avery in Colorado is right up there.