Time Warner Cable and SEC Network reach an agreement! WOO HOOO!!!!

After leaving many of us worried it may never happen, Time Warner Cable and the SEC Network announced today that they have agreed to a deal. TWC and Bright House Networks will carry the new channel when it launches on August 14, adding another 60 million households nationwide.

“We know we have customers who want the SEC Network, and are pleased to bring it to them,” said Andrew Rosenberg, Senior Vice President of Content Acquisition for Time Warner Cable, in the official press release. “This deal will help ensure that fans and alumni of SEC universities won’t miss any important games.”

The deal leaves Direct TV as the last major entity to not to take the SEC Network, but it is expect to happen soon, before the launch.

HUGE NEWS. Hug someone and celebrate it, folks.

Article written by Drew Franklin

22 Comments for Time Warner Cable and SEC Network reach an agreement! WOO HOOO!!!!

1. jeez...
    4:31 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Great, their internet is awesome where I live and I didn’t want to have to drop them.

2. Facts are Optional
    4:35 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Well, that is great, if only temporarily. The question is, will Charter Communications pick up the SEC Network? After the Comcast/TWC merger goes through, the Kentucky market will be sold off the Charter, making that the primary cable provider in our state. The good thing is that parts of Alabama are also being sold to Charter and you know the demand will be high in that state for Charter to pick up the SEC Network.

• JD
      10:07 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

It wouldn’t be temporary because the contract would transfer over to Charter when the switch happens. I work for TWC and the same thing occurred when we took over the Adelphia markets. We had neighboring towns and sometimes even streets that were only blocks apart that had different lineups due to the fact only the name changed and not content.

3. J-Dub421
    4:48 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I was giving Time Warner until the end of July. If they hadn’t picked up the SEC Network by then I was going to switch.

4. Judge Steve Tribble
    4:51 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

It better be in HD in Hoptown or else!

5. chardun
    4:59 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I was about to have to make decision.

6. Cousins Fake Tooth
    5:01 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

TWC blows. Switched to DTV and save about $70/month.

• Dish Network
      5:09 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

You are still paying about $20 a month too much. Direct TV sucks

7. JJ
    5:02 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

So,…am I reading this right, Drew? Direct TV is supposed to sign a deal to carry the SEC Network soon? I do not want to miss the Bahamas’ games. Could you confirm you are hearing Direct TV will have a deal with the SEC Network by then? Please and thank you!

8. arlo
    5:07 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

do you know how much more this twc deal is gonna cost me?

9. ukjaybrat
    5:09 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Getting all the premium sports channels for free like NFL network, ESPNU, NBA TV, big10 network, etc … All by accident through twc and really did not want to lose that switching to at&t. Glad they came to an agreement.

10. Rock McAllister
    5:25 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

If you guys honestly think the SEC Network won’t get on all providers, I’ve got a bridge to sell you. This is all about negotiating fees, not whether it will be carried. ESPN was negotiating for the highest fees possible from the cable subscriber (you), while the cable and satellite co’s want lower costs for content.

Think about it for a second, the higher your cable bill goes, the more folks cut the cord which hurts the providers a lot. Of course ESPN would lose revenue too but they have enormous leverage in making up the lost revenue in other areas (ad rates, negotiating higher monthly subscriber prices for base ESPN access in the future, etc.)

So thanks to all the lemmings who went to getsecnetwork.com and voted. You were voting for an increase to your cable bill…and to add insult to injury, gave Disney your demographics for free!

• Rei
      6:38 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Welcome to capitalism.

11. Irving Lehrer
    7:10 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I’ve been with DTV over 15 years. If those fux
    don’t sign on soon they can kiss my ass and my
    business adios!

12. bmt22033
    7:36 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Sadly, Verizon FiOS has not (yet) announced plans to carry the SEC Network, either. 🙁

• DT in DC
      8:00 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I know. I’ve been waiting for that announcement! But we have the Longhorn network, Big 10 Network (2 of them, I think), so SURELY they will pick up the SEC Network.

• bmt22033
      8:45 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I heard from a neighbor who works at VZ in Ashburn that they were in negotiations to carry it but that was a month ago and still no announcement so I don’t know what to expect. 🙁

13. Ky_Tom
    7:36 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

the charter/Comcast deal is not in concrete yet..That still has to be approved …Also Charter will be a subsidiary of Comcast, and the only reason this is going down like this, is Comcast will be the Nation’s biggest Cable carrier, and everyone can remembers how the Gov made Mal-bell break up as to now have a monopoly…The same here with Charter and Comcast …They are trading area’s around like a couple kids would trade marbles ..Charter has a local office in Louisville, but no cable customers, they are in the out laying areas and other states, yet a lot of their big wigs are here…Its been said that the Louisville operations will be moved to Denver by the end of 2015…

14. Steven Wilks
    8:13 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

i hope I don’t See Stone Cold Willow On the SEC Network Creeper!!!! please don’t put the Camera on Stone Cold Willow!!! oh Wait I forgot he got Banned from the Erupption zone last year!!!! so the SEC wont put him on!!! he is always a creep on women and I don’t care how many people he has right now I don’t care if he had 1000 plus and lose a few he better keep his ass at home and watch the games both home and away!

15. Nancy Hartshorn
    8:28 am July 25, 2014 Permalink

What channel will it be on and will you increase our bill to pay for it? Nancy Hartshorn