Time for group therapy (Monday Show Thread)

Gather round the radio, friends. It’s time for some much-needed group therapy following Kentucky’s heartbreaking loss to Florida. Someone get the tissues; I’ll get the chicken soup.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

102 Comments for Time for group therapy (Monday Show Thread)

1. ukjaybrat
    9:57 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

ugh

• CATandMONKEY
      10:05 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Double agree and like comment.

2. ukkatzfan
    10:02 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Anybody ever mention the punt we caught at the 1 yd line. I have been looking for video and cant find any. First time I have ever seen that.

• ClutchCargo
      10:30 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

That was amazing. It took perfect timing, perfect distance control, and the dude’s foot was inches from the goal line when he caught it. I was in section 23 and had a great view of it.

10:46 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Felt like Panton and Moushey has practiced that specific play. So perfectly executed.

3. Realme
    10:04 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

uuuuhuhhhnnnngngggggg bleahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh bluuuuuuughhhhhhhhh

10:05 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I’ve decided that I don’t like football. Terrible sport.

4. old_blue
    10:06 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I’m ready for a recovery week. That loss was rough to swallow. Imagine how the players feel. Let’s stay behind this team. Go Cats!

5. runningunnin.454
    10:07 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Well, folks…we gave ’em the 4thQ again; except it started with 5 min left in the 3rd. You could see 28-27 coming a mile away.

10:10 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Yep. Bleed the clock doesn’t work if your tired defense has to be on the field too much. Keeping our foot on the gas could have resulted in a 3 td win. Stephen Johnson was was hot. Why stop letting him throw?

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

They send C.J. Conrad home after the 3rd Q. No screens, no sweeps, nothing…just run up the middle.
      Gran complains about 3 and outs; but you do the same thing over and over, and expect different results is insanity.
      And SJ is not a pocket passer, you have to let him use his feet, roll out and pass on the run.
      The most disappointing thing was Gran’s obstinacy and defensiveness after the game. At the 8:00 minute mark, you get a couple of 1st downs…we win. I guess things won’t change.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:17 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

That was the worst part. It was like the entire UK fanbase was watching the future in slow motion.

I got giddy when Snell broke the final run…should have known better.

We can still have a great season.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:20 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

…and when we have 3rd and 1, we go to the Wildcat.

• RG is absolutely right. Gran was still obstinate after the game about the 2nd half play calling. How can he not see the strategy didn’t work? No one is saying don’t run the ball. We’re just saying DON’T TRY TO MILK THE CLOCK WITH 1 1/2 QUARTERS LEFT!!!

Sorry for the all caps.

• J-Dub421
      10:39 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. You can’t play not to lose with that much time left.

6. Realme
    10:11 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Didn’t Stoops hire a special analytics guy on staff this year, to help them make better decisions? Does he need help explaining to Stoops how this inexcusable loss is all on the coaches?

7. secrick
    10:12 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

The best team lost.

8. ukjaybrat
    10:13 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

My throat hurts from screaming so much.
    My legs hurt from standing and jumping the entire game.
    I didn’t sit in my seat a dingle second. Can’t speak for the entire stadium, but out section was hyped up the ENTIRE GAME even after the bad plays we gave up.

We were literally the epitome of Jack Pilgrim’s post from last night:

So it really just hurts.
    But there’s not much we can do about it now. On to Eastern Michigan.

10:14 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I was proud of BBN for that turnout and catwalk presence. Seems like any time the fans really really bring it, they end up getting let down.

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I have a feeling that the crowd will be way down for EMU.

• ukjaybrat
      10:41 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

it probably would have been way down for EMU anyway just because it’s emu. But i expect mizzou to be a smaller crowd too.

Maybe if we somehow end up at 6-1 our fans can show up for the UT game. We will absolutely need it imo.

9. classof68
    10:14 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

We did not out play the Gators. Just check the stats – EVEN. We got out coached.

• ClutchCargo
      10:16 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Yes, we did outplay the gators, right up until we stopped playing and started trying to sit on a too-small lead. Stats don’t lie, but they also don’t tell the whole truth.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

That’s a little more complicated….Florida played 4 quarters, we played 2 and 2/3. Even with the blown coverages, the conservative play calling threw the game away. The stats can’t reflect that.

• ukjaybrat
      10:22 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

we outplayed the gators for over 3 quarters of football. the stats are even bc our offense died and our defense got walked over once we started “playing not to lose” instead of “playign to win”

• ClutchCargo
      10:25 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

But yeah, definitely outcoached. By a guy with a weird shark fetish. Dammit, I’m mad all over again now!!

• runningunnin.454
      10:30 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Clutch, that was definitely shark abuse. AND THAT IS HIM, same terrible mugging for the camera as in that terrible Belk commercial.

• RealCatsFan
      10:37 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

rg, maybe we can get PETA after him. They could have him arrested. 🙂

10. Realme
    10:16 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

This “therapy” is making me angry again.

10:41 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

It’s weird. A bad loss in basketball makes me sad. A bad loss in football makes me mad.

• ukjaybrat
      10:46 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

30+ wins in basketball every year. a loss isn’t as impactful (especially a regular season loss)
      but in football wins are much harder to come by and the regular season losses are way more important in football. so it makes sense

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I can take practically anything but mental mistakes, and mental mistakes are more prevalent in football.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

F*** YOU LUCY, YOU LOW DOWN, CONNIVING LITTLE BEOTCH!

12. What all of you all said.

13. ClutchCargo
    10:21 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I know it’s time to turn the page and move on, but in order to do that I have to know that the coaching staff has a solid plan to fix the idiotic mistakes they have made in key situations. The really dumb stuff that happened Saturday could definitely happen again in a similar situation. That’s the really demoralizing part.

• ukjaybrat
      10:26 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

it’s simple. stop letting off the gas. i understand it has worked for us more than it hasn’t since the beginning of stoops’s third season here. But, that game plan is NOT working for us in big games. clearly.
      He needs to stay on the gas pedal on keep moving the ball. playing not to win ends up putting our defense on the field more in the fourth quarter.
      It works against missouri and south carolina. but not against florida or georgia, or auburn, or any other big game we’ve lost in the 4th quarter.

• ukjaybrat
      10:27 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

“playing not to lose” *

• ClutchCargo
      11:28 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

It is simple, just like it should have been simple against UF and several other games before that. That’s the part has me concerned going forward. I just don’t believe the coaching staff is convinced that trying to extend a lead in the 4th quarter is necessary.

14. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I was at Bourbon and Beyond, had the game on DVR, and when my wife told me the score when we were walking out, my evening was instantly ruined. Have not and will not watch the replay, and it will be unceremoniously deleted.

Can we now pause for a moment, call in an exorcist and a witch doctor, and maybe sacrifice a live chicken on the 50 yard line of commonwe–, er, Kroger Field?

• RealCatsFan
      10:22 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Wait, nix that – we beat South Carolina. We need to sacrifice a live alligator to break this curse!

15. Matt said it best a couple weeks ago: the most stubborn ppl in the world are coaches, and politicians. Cal’s stubbornness (in part) cost us the Wisky game, and almost cost us the UL and KU games in the 2012 FF.

DON’T TAKE THE AIR OUT OF THE BALL WHEN THE GAME IS FAR FROM OVER!!!

10:27 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I’d bet the reason they do that is that statistically it’s the smartest thing to do. But I don’t care. Sick of it in bball and fball. Take some risks, be aggressive.

• ukjaybrat
      10:29 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

they keep saying things like
      “You have to have more rushing yards to win a football game in this league”

But what they are looking at is that statistically, yes, the winning team tends to have more rushing yards. but that doesn’t mean that more yards = more wins. just means the winning team is the better team. F-rushing yards. you know what, i bet statically the winning team has less turnovers and more first downs and more passing yards, and more touchdowns. we had all of those covered until we stopped playing to win the game.

• Statistically the team that doesn’t leave receivers totally uncovered on 2 plays in a close game usually wins.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:40 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

If they truly cared about statistics, they wouldn’t try to run it up the middle with a stacked box…every time. Statistical failure.

• ukjaybrat
      10:42 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

exactly C&M. rushing yards are rushing yards whether they are up the middle or on the outside. Running right into 9-10 defenders will get you absolutely what we got… nothing.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

It’s especially frustrating when they try it with King. He’s small, don’t run him up the middle!! Let him go around where he has some daylight to use his speed.

11:00 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Yes Jdub! Let King use that extra gear he has.

• J-Dub421
      11:18 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Benny is the “run it up the middle” back because he’s a tank. King is not that guy, play to his strengths.

16. DrSayre
    10:30 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Ive become numb to these losses… when it was 27-14 (and the spread being UF -1.5), I knew where it was heading.

• I won’t say I knew, but anytime we settle for a field goal, I think “It should have been 4 more”.

Anytime I see an uneven lead, like 6 instead of 7, 13 instead of 14, etc., I think “Boy, I wish it was an even touchdown lead” or “An even 2 touchdown lead”, etc.

17. All in all, I was reminded in Bible class yesterday that I am defined by Christ, not sports (the teacher mentioned teaching his son that when they were upset that their team lost once). I was upset, but I can’t act like it’s the end of the world. That being said, if I didn’t care I wouldn’t watch at all, and since I do care, it’s going to be tough to lose. It just gave me some perspective that I have to be reminded of now and then.

• RealCatsFan
      10:35 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

cg, I was telling myself all day Saturday that this game didn’t matter very much in the scope of life and I was not going to be upset if we lost. But I have to say, the fact that our coaching staff made two egregious errors that caused the loss is leaving a bitter taste. If Florida was simply better, as has been the case so many years, I could accept it. But this was probably the best opportunity we will have to beat them – at home. Hard to accept it, but we have no choice.

• I know some won’t agree with this, but for me, and for the reasons you gave, the 700-0 butt whippings that Spurrier laid on us were easier to take than this. The first one wasn’t since we had played them tough the year before (the Doering play), so I thought we would play them tough. We wound up not doing that for years after that.

BTW, how many know that Bill Curry once fired Steve Spurrier from GA Tech? That’s all the more reason he wanted to kill us and run up the score when he had the chance.

• RealCatsFan
      11:19 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I recall reading that one time, and that kind of explains why he used to run up the score against us. I used to hate Spurrier, but my feelings towards him have mellowed. Maybe it’s because he got old and retired, maybe it’s because we finally beat him at USC, and maybe it’s because he is actually kind of funny sometimes, but I don’t really have that burning dislike for him anymore. Now Petrino, by comparison – that dude tries to run the score up simply because he is a dick.

18. secrick
    10:31 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

When we are 5 and 1 we will feel better but that 6th win looks tough, thank goodness we have the cards to beat again this year.

19. Realme
    10:33 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Yep. Florida knew, we knew, coaches should have known.

10:34 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Whoops was trying to reply to DrSayre.

20. Realme
    10:38 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

We will still have a good season, but my excitement level will be less from here on out, after watching that game.

• secrick
      10:43 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Come on RealMe , you know come Sat. you will be fired up again. We could still win the East.

• ukjaybrat
      10:45 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

We COULD still win the east. but it just got a LOT harder.

10:49 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I know but that was just soul sucking. I don’t see myself being that amped again. I reserve the right to change my mind if they beat TN and UofL.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I don’t see us beating Georgia (esp. on the road), who will likely win the east. The rest of our schedule is potentially win-able. (I’m not saying we’ll definitely win the rest of the games, just that we have a shot.)

21. classof68
    10:40 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

The problem with many of us UK fans is the same problem the coaches have. It’s a 60 minute game. If the CATS do well for 50 minutes they think we have outplayed the other team. Anyone who didn’t see the game would look at the stats and say Florida probably outplayed UK.

• ukjaybrat
      10:44 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

i don’t think anyone is saying we outplayed florida for 60 minutes. because clearly we didn’t. every single comment i’ve seen/written said we outplayed florida until we went to the “play not to lose” strategy. your comment is pretty much a straw man.

• secrick
      10:48 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

The best team lost.

22. secrick
    10:45 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

That field goal before the half was a killer.

• RealCatsFan
      10:57 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, but Austin has saved our bacon so many times, that I can’t blame him for missing one every now and then. Fact is, he would have bailed us out again if not for the penalty.

23. J-Dub421
    10:51 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Our offensive line has got to get their *ish together. They had way too many penalties which killed several drives, and I’m going to break things if there’s one more high snap.

• runningunnin.454
      10:58 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I was very proud of myself. I saw a big L coming the entire 4thQ; and, I didn’t break anything. And, I’m known for breaking a TV during the USA-USSR olympic game in ’72.
      And, I broke a Christmas tree once over a UK basketball game.
      I’m getting much better.

11:01 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I was throwing my shoes, but nothing broke.

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I put a car key clear through the palm of my hand and out the other side one time by slamming my hand down on a footstool where the car keys were sitting. Can’t remember what game it was, but sure recall the outcome! Still have the scar from that one.

• ukjaybrat
      11:14 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

umm…. ouch

• J-Dub421
      11:40 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

There was a point in the second half where there were 4 bad/high snaps in a row. Then one good snap, then the one that went over Johnson’s head that he had to chase down and fall on. Those bad snaps cost us a touchdown.

24. runningunnin.454
    10:53 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Loud bothers the offense, it does not bother the defense. Our DB’s have to check the entire line of scrimmage, and COUNT the opponents on the field.

• ukjaybrat
      10:58 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

correct. defense can communicate with hand signals. offense is much more complicated and needs vocal communication

10:59 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

They used to act like our fans were too stupid to know when to make noise. This game, you could almost never hear the 3rd down coal whistle through the tv. Now that the fans have had their best perfomance, Stoops uses it as an excuse? I bet you could hear okay in the timeout huddle before you left their guy wide open. TWICE!!!!

25. Realme
    10:57 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I was worried about him, but sounds like he just talked himself back up to at least 70% peak Chester already.

• RealCatsFan
      10:58 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, the loss nearly drove him back to drinking. I was at B&B, so I was a lost cause already. 😉

26. classof68
    10:58 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Like Stoops, Chester will never change.

• runningunnin.454
      11:12 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Don’t know if it’s Stoops or Gran, but I’m starting to think that. And, IT HAS TO CHANGE.

11:15 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I’m mad at Stoops right now, but he is the reason we’re in a position to be mad about not beating the team that we were better than. He’s brought the team a long way, and hopefully this loss hurt him enough to set stubbornness aside and grow as a coach.

27. DrSayre
    11:02 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Did that call make anybody else think that maybe Chester is fake? Fake or real, Chester is one of my favorite callers either way, but that story about being in bed, almost going back to drinking and not because of Drew Franklin made seems too much.

But then again, he’s had several of those type of calls…

11:06 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I think he’s so extreme that he makes himself sound like a parody, but is in fact real. I could be wrong though. Don’t remember him ever meeting the guys at a remote or anything.

• classof68
      11:16 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

If he’s not fake and he’s really that invested in UK football, it’s no wonder he’s borderline alcoholic. One of the few excusable reasons for being one.

• DrSayre
      11:17 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

That was something I was thinking about. The way he talks, Im assuming he has season tickets (or at least goes to several games a year). Seems strange Matt wouldnt post a picture of him at a game.

28. DrSayre
    11:03 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Although Chester makes a really good point… we beat Georgia, and it more than makes up for losing to Florida.

• runningunnin.454
      11:10 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Don’t count on that one.

• DrSayre
      11:14 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Im not counting on it, it’s on the road and Georgia is probably the best team in the East. So Im guessing we lose… but Im not sure if they are that good and we are not cursed against Georgia, like we are against Tennessee and Florida

29. Sentient Third Eye
    11:05 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

So basically the East is down to Georgia and Florida, with our game against UT probably deciding third place. That’s still about where I envisioned this team before the season started. The world didn’t end.

• secrick
      11:16 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Maybe not.

30. Realme
    11:08 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Want a positive spin? Today you can make Matt more money, lol.

31. classof68
    11:30 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I feel so great about the Florida game because we had the better team.

32. DrSayre
    11:35 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

I would like to see George Costanza come out and eat Ice Cream

33. RealCatsFan
    11:52 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Matt has a point. People have a tendency to try to see things as black and white (literally), good and evil, right and wrong. The fact is that there are nuances to most of the controversial issues in America today. If people can swallow a little pride, get away from all the posturing and try to see some of the reasons that some people do the things they do, we might be able to have civil discourse. But instead, the flames get fanned by some individuals for various reasons – on both sides of the issues.

11:56 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

Saw a video online of a BLM protester being allowed to speak at a Trump rally they came to protest. Crowd started out jeering, but by the end were agreeing. Handshakes and conversations happening after. But you won’t see that on the news, doesn’t fit the media narrative.

34. TakenNotGiven
    11:59 am September 25, 2017 Permalink

There are so many things to complain about in regard to the game. The hold isn’t one of them. Just wish so many fans wouldn’t default to putting the blame on referees when there were plenty of mistakes committed by coaches and players. Hopefully the team will lay the slack down on EMU next week. Go cats

35. BluKudzu
    12:45 pm September 25, 2017 Permalink

Winning championships is a priveledge reserved for those that play sound fundamental football.
    This team, I think, had the talent to win the Florida game. However, with this coach, I am not so sure. There were more mistakes in the Florida game, than a championship winner would make in half a season.
    We have a very long way to go before we can even think we can play for championships.