Time for Derby stories! (Monday Show Thread)

Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 7.40.49 AM

Matt and Ryan made the most of the Derby festivities this weekend, which means you should be by your radio or streaming device to hear their stories. Tune in to hear about the weekend, along with the latest in the Marques Bolden recruitment, NBA Draft decisions, and much more.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

13 Comments for Time for Derby stories! (Monday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:46 am May 9, 2016 Permalink

How was Derby for everyone? Pretty bad for me but oh well the Uncle Matt trifecta paid off.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am May 9, 2016 Permalink

My daughter picked the exacta for the Derby, and my wife had Gunn Runner ATB, so we at least get to cash some tickets, but the payout was nothing like a few years ago when I’ll Have Another came through big for me.

Went to a Derby party that was fairly low key for the most part, until one of the host’s cousins got a little too intoxicated on beer and jungle juice during the cornhole tournament. We got to hear him boasting and bragging about his cornhole prowess, until his dad and brother knocked off his team, and then it broke out into a brothers’ brawl in the street out front as “King Kornhole” got his comeuppance. My 12-year-old got educated on the power of alcohol in producing “instant azzholes”. 🙂

• J-Dub421
      10:46 am May 9, 2016 Permalink

I go to a party every year, and they always have a pinata for all the little kids. I love to watch them break it because all the kids fall on the candy like sharks in a feeding frenzy after the water has been chummed. 🙂

3. RealCatsFan
    10:28 am May 9, 2016 Permalink

Anyone want to comment on Washington hiring Porter’s father to secure his commitment? Sounds like they are tired of losing commits to UK and have decided to stack the deck on this one. I thought the NCAA passed rules against this several years ago when Pitino pulled this trick.

• J-Dub421
      10:33 am May 9, 2016 Permalink

The NCAA should pass a rule outlawing this sort of thing, but to the best of my knowledge they haven’t done so. That’s how LSU landed Ben Simmons; they hired his godfather.

• RealCatsFan
      10:36 am May 9, 2016 Permalink

Louisville hired Shabaka Lands to try to lure Teague, then fired him. This was what I was thinking of, but apparently the NCAA never really addressed it:

• Realme
      10:37 am May 9, 2016 Permalink

I thought they had made a rule covering that too, but apparently not.

• @GoCayts
      11:25 am May 9, 2016 Permalink

Ben Simmons’ godfather (David Patrick) has been at LSU since 2012 … and was a scout for the Houston Rockets before that … so, I don’t know if it can be said they hired him just to get Simmons … Johnny Jones and David Patrick have known each other a long time

• J-Dub421
      11:44 am May 9, 2016 Permalink

Then why is David Patrick now gone from LSU? (He just left for a job at TCU.)

• @GoCayts
      12:10 pm May 9, 2016 Permalink

I mean … I’d say there’s a good chance JJ is not gonna last much longer after last year … he has a chance to work under Jamie Dixon now at TCU who’s a much better coach

4. RealCatsFan
    11:09 am May 9, 2016 Permalink

Anyone have a link to a picture of the dude dressed up in the mosquito costume?

5. Laker Cat 18
    11:15 am May 9, 2016 Permalink

I had a dog named “Richie” when I was a kid. One of my favorite UK players of all time. It is sad.

6. RealCatsFan
    11:56 am May 9, 2016 Permalink

Some of those pro players think their sh!t don’t stink and that the world should bow down before them. I hate to say it, but this whole lack of respect is perpetuated by a lot of the culture nowadays. I’m not all that old, but I do recall a time when this kind of thing would not be tolerated. Someone would whack him upside his head for not showing respect for a national anthem, whether it was for Canada or the USA.