Tim Tebow says paying players will ruin college sports

While in Lexington for tomorrow’s SEC Nation, Tim Tebow took a controversial stance on one of the biggest issues in college sports.

On ESPN’s First Take, the legendary Florida quarterback spoke out against the new California law allowing student-athletes to earn money from their names, images and likenesses, arguing that it will ruin college football.

“I feel like I have a little credibility and knowledge about this because when I was at the University of Florida, I think my jersey was one of the top-selling jerseys around the world. It was like Kobe, LeBron and then I was right behind them. I didn’t make a dollar from it and nor did I want to because I knew going into college what it was all about.

“I knew going to Florida, my dream school, where I wanted to go, the passion for it and if I could support my team, support my college, support my University, that’s what it’s all about. But now, we’re changing it from ‘us’ from ‘we’ from ‘my university’ from being an alumni where I care, which makes college football and college sports special, to then, ‘Okay it’s not about us. It’s not about we, it’s just about me.’

“And, yes, I know we live in a selfish culture where it’s all about us but we’re just adding and piling it onto that. Where it changes, what’s special about college football. We turn it into the NFL, where who has the most money, that’s where you go. That’s why people are more passionate about college sports than they are about the NFL.

“That’s why the stadiums are bigger in college than they are in the NFL, because it’s about your team, it’s about your university, it’s about where my family wanted to go, it’s about where my grandfather had a dream of seeing Florida win an SEC championship and you’re taking that away. And, you’re taking that away so that young kids can earn a dollar and that’s just not where I feel college football needs to go. There’s that opportunity in the NFL, but not college football.”

Hoo-boy, that’ll get people talking. I bet we’ll hear more on The Paul Finebaum Show, which starts in 30 minutes live from UK’s campus, and obviously, SEC Nation tomorrow morning.

Maybe Tebow was all worked up from lifting weights with Kash Daniel?

99 Comments for Tim Tebow says paying players will ruin college sports

1. Cokely53
    2:40 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

IMO players should be able to benefit from their likeness and it’s not fair that the NCAA and schools get to hold a monopoly over everything. That being said, I agree that it’ll ruin college sports and with all of the changes coming soon that we will start seeing the decline in many of the major college sports

• juiceisloose
      5:29 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Not every athlete is like Tim Tebow where they are so good and poplular they can get a great job in broadcasting or playing in the nfl or mlb. It’s about the smaller sport athletes that can teach lessons for money or make money off social media. He completely ignores that aspect of it

• kjd
      8:54 am September 14, 2019 Permalink

The smaller sports athlete and the non star athletes won’t be getting any money for their likeness. Only the top stars. So, the vast majority still won’t get any money.

• natertatter
      6:25 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

i like tebow alot…..cant stand florida though……but that was spoken by someone who comes from wealth ……..some of these kids have nothing……there family struggles daily……tim had a car and money to eat out when and where he wanted………some have none of that………

• Catscats23
      7:33 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

But when a booster pays a top athlete $5 million to do an ad for a local buisness if they come to their school? That’s opening a can of worms college sports dont need. If they wanna get paid let them go pro.

2. UKBaker24
    2:40 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

No one cares what Shmim Shmebow thinks about anything

• Irish son
      3:33 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

He knows players have been getting paid, one way or another, for decades

3. NOLAcat
    2:42 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Interesting choice of words, seeing as Tebow’s view is the prevailing view and the notion that amateur athletes should be paid is the “controversial” idea. Having your own opinion is fine, but stop pretending to be impartial when you are obviously not.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      2:45 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

When have I ever pretended to be impartial about anything?

• NOLAcat
      2:51 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

I’d suggest to you that nearly everything that comes off your keyboard suggests you are some neutral bystander just reporting what she’s seen… like when you (and others) pretend there is some controversy over checkerboard uniforms despite the fact that nobody I’ve ever spoken to has expressed any opinion on them one way or the other. It’s *you all* that doesn’t like them. It’s *you* that thinks Tebow’s comment is controversial. That’s perfectly fine, but stop trying to delude your readers into accepting your POV by suggesting everyone else already has.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      2:56 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

I think you have this confused with a newspaper, sir.

• kenny
      3:54 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

I agree with you about the uniforms. Definitely a made up controversy, didn’t hear much about it before Matt gave his opinion on them.

• JPhelps
      2:55 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Technically speaking, by a slim margin, 52% of Americans believe college athletes should be paid, making the prevailing thought in agreement with payment. Those statistics are up 15 points in the last 10 years. It’s likely to exceed 60% in the next 5 years.

The mirage of amateurism is a dying belief. Reserved for people who a) are married to the idea that sports haven’t changed in the last 30 years or b) aging baby boomers who are detached from what college is like these days. South Carolina is the second domino to fall behind California. I expect many states to do the same, which will put the NCAA in a crossroads. Hold fast to your old beliefs and fade into oblivion as you ban more and more state schools from being in the tournaments, or b) change with the times and share some of the green you’ve been raking for years and years on the backs of college students.

• NOLAcat
      3:02 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Not really a dying belief as it is the current status quo. Collegiate athletes are not (openly) paid to the best of my knowledge, outside of a free college education which is something many people my age have gone into crippling debt to obtain. I’m personally in favor of amateurism, and I’m 32 so not a baby boomer or old enough to appreciate how sports have changed over the past 30 years. So I’m not sure I agree with your premises.

Nevertheless, that’s a debate for another day and one that you and I are not likely to be a part of.

• Wilfred Smith
      7:41 am September 14, 2019 Permalink

Economists believe that athletes should be able to earn their marginal revenue products. So will Libertarians. Pretty simple concept.

If Tebow wants to give money away, that’s his choice. It’s wrong to impose it on others.

• NOLAcat
      3:11 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

I’m well aware that this is a blog, not a newspaper, and your a blogger, not a writer. ^^

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      3:17 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

*you’re

• UKinIN
      3:49 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Cheap shot, Mrs. Thompson. Accurate, but cheap. ?

• ComfortablyNumb94
      5:04 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Perfectly executed

• JPhelps
      3:14 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Status quo doesn’t mean it’s NOT a dying idea. It simply means it hasn’t been unseated yet. I believe taking the fight out of NCAA hands thru the legislature is the way to make the NCAA cave. If all 50 states pass it, what are they going to do? Ban all 50 states and their schools from the tournament? They cease to exist at that point. California and SC are interesting states to push this legislation. Because they represent strong left and right unification. Which should worry the NCAA fat cats.

• JPhelps
      3:24 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

No you didn’t, Mr’s. TT. Hahahaha

• NOLAcat
      3:25 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Good catch ,TT. I’ll pass it along to the Tennessean and Travel and Leisure. It’s way more likely to grab their attention than your articles.

• NOLAcat
      3:28 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

It’s pretty straightforward that if something is in effect, it’s not dying. No point in wasting any cell data on that point.

I agree the NCAA sucks, but this has nothing to do with the legislature, and I’m pretty confident that you and I both will be much more disappointed with what comes after the NCAA than the NCAA itself.

• 4everUKblue
      4:25 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Geez NOLA, lighten up, it’s not that important. I personally don’t care for the checkerboard unis but like your bitching about Mrs. TT’s blog, it’s not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

• njcat54
      5:37 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Your words… ‘Tebow’s view is the prevailing view’. So ya, you were incorrect nola. And also an asshole.

• NOLAcat
      5:46 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

lol show me one poll that shows a 2% advantage of in favor with a margin of error of 3, and ill show you hundreds that show the majority of people asked are not in favor. or perhaps you’re not sure what prevailing means.

Either way, sick burn, but when you’re done with your white people privilege diatribe (what most weak people resort to to explain their shortcomings), get back to work. The fries are getting soggy.

• walden
      6:23 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

I assure you, history will look back on the universities and the NCAA using these ‘amateur athletes’ as unpaid laborers that made billions upon billions of dollars off their backs in a very poor light. It is not an internship, it is simply kids chasing a dream. For every person like Tim Tebow that has this opinion there are at least 10 with the opposing viewpoint.

No one is saying the schools should pay the athletes, the point is they should be allowed to do a commercial for whatever cheeseburgers they choose and not loose their college careers as a result.

Let’s all be perfectly honest, Tim Tebow wasn’t raised in the same situation as Eric Bledsoe. Just because he was okay without that extra cash flow doesn’t mean everyone else is.

• NOLAcat
      6:40 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Eric Bledsoe could have easily forgone college and entered the labor force. Instead, he *chose* to utilize world class training facilities, near unlimited exposure, incredible tutelage (and oh, a freaking college education) in the hopes that it would lead to something more lucrative in the future. It did. You know what I had to do to chase my dream? Get heavily in debt and work two jobs for several years. Cry me a river.

Beyond that response to the tired argument made, I’ll also point out that kids eat tide pods and lick ice cream in groceries: I’m not particularly concerned with what they think, and it’s beyond dumb to compare collegiate athletes to slaves.

• njcat54
      8:57 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Hey Nola / genius… so you think an opinion held by 48% vs the opposite view at 52% is the prevailing view? Are you stuck in perpetual ‘opposite day’?

And btw… Tebow is the PERFECT example of white privilege preaching to those he knows nothing about. And you know what… I’m white, worked my whole life and put 3 kids through college. They know all about the advantages they had and the tough to impossible roads so many others find themselves on.

Best you quit while you’re behind.

• walden
      9:17 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Eric Bledsoe… seeing that he was living in a car, if he had the grades to get accepted I’m sure he could’ve gone to college on a grant for free. You can’t argue a person got a free college education when the poor guy already had a free education ya know.

4. bengr4
    2:51 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Wow, Mr. Tebow. Your privilege is showing.

• TPACAT
      3:09 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

You forgot “white”, lefty…

• Chagan02
      3:20 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Lol. Beat me to it.

• bengr4
      3:29 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Nothing “lefty” about it, although I am a “lefty.” See comments below by JerryCat (#6) and BBNDan7 (#12).

• TPACAT
      3:53 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

There are no guaranteed equal outcomes in a capitalistic society. And, that’s OK. You want a guarantee that everyone has the same economic opportunity? Then move to a Communist/Socialist country. I think you’ll find you don’t like being drug down to the lowest common denominator.

• njcat54
      9:00 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

What people seek is equality of opportunity, not outcome. No way a kid raised by a crack head mom who doesn’t know his father is even on the same playing field.

• TPACAT
      2:24 am September 14, 2019 Permalink

He has the same opportunity to overcome and make something of himself as the rest of us. No quarter…

• njcat54
      5:40 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Yes, his white privilege WAS showing. Easy to be rah rah sis boom bah about college sports when Daddy is buying you sports cars. When you can’t feed your family it’s another story I’m afraid – all while the people with all the power get rich.

• TPACAT
      2:34 am September 14, 2019 Permalink

I have ZERO white guilt, unlike you. I see success and I attempt to emulate it, not demonize it. You need to look into the principals this country was founded on and get on board. Or, maybe this country wasn’t meant for your kind…

• Looother
      7:17 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

What TPACAT said…

5. Wade
    2:54 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

He’s right if only one state does it

• JPhelps
      2:57 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

The dominos are lining up. South Carolina is up next. Then, lots of states will do the same.

6. JerryCat
    2:55 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Easy for Tebow to say. He came from a rich family and had boatloads of endorsement deals waiting for him after college. The reality is that 99% of college players don’t have that available and should be able to cash in on their stardom while they can

• J-Dub421
      2:59 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Agreed. I came here to say this exact same thing.

• 4everUKblue
      4:26 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Excellent point JerryCat.

• Realme
      5:44 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Yes! This exactly.

7. cats646
    2:59 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

I think players should be able to get a set percentage of money off of their own likeness, but the schools should not have to pay the athletes to play. So if no one buys your jersey, you don’t get any money.

8. StuckinLville
    3:02 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Players should only get stipends from the school, not paid. If you want to make money go to the pros. It defeats the whole purpose of college sports. And if California is the only state doing it, that really is going to be a problem.

• JPhelps
      3:17 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

That’s the problem. You can’t. The pros won’t let them.

• StuckinLville
      3:47 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Yes the NBA needs to change that rule, but there are other pro leagues and the g league that pays. Nothing says they have to go to college and we are seeing players do that. Some are doing nothing and still getting drafted.

• J-Dub421
      4:08 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

You have to be three years out of high school to get into the NFL, and there really aren’t any other professional leagues that are worth anything. The NFL has a monopoly and made the rule (for obvious reasons).

9. blueballs80
    3:06 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Disagree with Tebow. If the NCAA can profit off a student jersey or likeness then why cant the athlete? It is the athlete that is being used by the sleazy NCAA. Not all of them come from privileged backgrounds and since this is the land of capitalism, then why not let the student athletes profit off their likeness when they are in a very physical sport? In the event if an injury or something else, they will have financial means to also support themselves.

10. TPACAT
    3:07 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Tebow’s right about a lot of things… And, he’s right about this too.

• njcat54
      5:42 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Tebow’s head is and always has been in the clouds. He is a unicorn, and 90% of college athletes disagree with him.

11. Chagan02
    3:08 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

I’m totally cool with paying athletes, as long as they aren’t given scholarships or any other benefits on top. Once they take a dollar, they pay their way. They get to make the choice.

12. BBNDan7
    3:10 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Easy to say when you don’t grow up poor, Tim

13. ukjohnston
    3:13 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

I am in 100% agreement with Mr. Tebow. It should be about the university, the we, the team and not about the me. Paying college athletes will only further the me, me, me attitude of the athlete. Will they then say since you didn’t pay me like you paid my teammate I’m going to enter the transfer portal? Clearly smaller universities can’t spend as much on players? Do those universities then tap the capital markets to raise money to give to the top recruits to raise the level of awareness of the university, hoping they can make it back from the NCAA tournament winnings? Do they set recruiting dollars into established university marketing budgets? What’s the limit? Out of state athletes receiving a full scholarship of room and board already receive the equivalent of $40-50,000 per year for that scholarship, or more for private universities. They get free training, free marketing campaigns via the universities and via television, free counseling, free opportunities to learn how to deal with the press, free tutoring among many other perks. Can the University of Kentucky compete with some wealthier athletic budgets to pay the top players? It suddenly got a lot more intriguing as a recruit to attend UCLA, Cal, Stanford, San Diego State, etc. Why go anywhere else for money under the table when you can get it for free from some car dealer or other business that wants you to “promote” there business when we know damn good and well it was set up from the beginning of the recruiting timeline. Imagine the recruiting pitch from any California school now. “Come to our school and you can rake in the endorsements. You can’t do that at UK, UNC, Duke, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State, etc.”

• JPhelps
      5:46 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

I’m sorry, but when I went to college, UK wasn’t about ‘we’ when they made the decision to change my requirements for graduation. It was very much about them. And squeezing more money out of us students. Save your we…

14. mashman 93
    3:18 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Great article Tyler and keep up the great work you do for KSR. GO BIG BLUE!!!!

15. Han
    3:24 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

If you don’t want to pay athletes or allow them to profit from their likeness, you need to stop letting Olympic athletes get endorsements and such to pay for their training, and even more importantly, you need to make it so that athletes can’t sign a contract in one sport (like baseball) and keep their amateurism in another sport.

16. 72uksprinter
    3:28 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

The “T” in Tebow is for tool.

• TPACAT
      4:49 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Form everything I can tell, it’s for IntegriT…

17. WKY Cat
    3:33 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

When the college athletes start to get paid I’m curious how they will regulate it. My suspicion is not all universities will be on the same financial plan and there will be no NCAA to regulate it. Then the deep pocket universities will simply buy the better athletes. The rich will get richer.

18. Based God
    3:35 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

These comments have taught me one thing: the people who are against college athletes profiting off their likeness have no idea what the hell that even means. The schools won’t be paying the players anything. They will make money off autographs, clothing/jersey sales, posters, video games, etc. It will not affect college sports, especially college basketball and football in the slightest. Players than can go anywhere will go where they will get the most exposure, same as now. Only difference is they’ll be factoring in the potential earnings now as opposed to after college.

As for the article itself, as was hit on above, it’s easy for Tim Tebow to say he didn’t care about the money. He knew he was going to be fine no matter what happened to him. For a lot of these other kids, all that they will have is what they can get out of the few years that they can play a sport. God willing, that will be a college degree and a career after they’re done, but it won’t be that way for everybody.

• UKinIN
      3:52 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Once the players are free to market themselves the coaches and program will answer to the player and their marketing representative. “Coach, De’Aaron has $10,000 tied up in tee shirts! He can make any money if you don’t play him more!” It will KILL college sports.

• Han
      3:53 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, they can just use something like the Olympic athlete model, which hasn’t caused the collapse of amateurism there. Yes, you run the risk of people offering players way too much, so you just need to regulate it, make sure it’s tracked/reported, etc. Same as anyone does with any earnings (or is supposed to do). It’s already happening a lot of places anyway, and while that’s not an excuse to change a rule/law by itself, it does indicate there’s a need to change the head-in-the-sand biased enforcement the NCAA currently does.

I do understand that the potential to get autograph money and such is obviously higher at Power 5 conferences and specifically blue bloods, so lower level schools will complain, but there’s already the scholarship difference between the top levels and lower, and then there’s the facilities and other allowed benefits that are better at better schools. Plus if you play at the best schools, you get more exposure, better change of going pro, better coaching, better post-graduation networking, etc. Same as any job anyone goes to college for.

Ultimately, if I went to school on an academic scholarship, I’m allowed to get a job using the exact skills I’m learning with that scholarship, the exact skills that earned me the scholarship. Same should apply to athletes. They haven’t really been amateurs, anyway, since the schools started making millions of dollars and recruiting nationwide accordingly. We’re not talking about kids going to their local school that they’re in the district of like used to happen for everyone in high school (now kids move for that, too).

Let them earn using their skills and profile.

19. CombatMedic_98
    3:56 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

The system currently is set up to make a University millions off of THEIR registered trademark such as UK Athletics. If you use a name of an actual student on any type of “advertisement” regardless of the platform…they should be made by law to share a percentage of the profits as a stipend “increase” to that student only and until officially graduated or no longer a student a higher percentage of profits should go to that Student as well. Regardless of the amount, that just makes SENSE…!

• bennybbn
      4:27 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

I agree if they do start paying players, the only way to access those funds is by graduation

20. NOLAcat
    4:04 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Lots of comments questioning whether Tebow is capable of making the point rather than addressing his point itself. You’ve already lost when you go down that rabbit hole.

And are some of y’all really so naive to think that if the impediment to players receiving benefits as a result of their athletic talent/performance is removed, that schools won’t start paying players? Lol if that happens and UK doesn’t start paying players, I’d be pretty disappointed in UK.

• J-Dub421
      4:14 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

The players are already getting a few thousand dollar stipend, so they’re already getting pain. Guess you’ll just have to be disappointed.

• NOLAcat
      4:20 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

I see you don’t understand the difference between a cost of attendance stipend and revenue sharing. My advice would be to look that up and don’t punch the heavy bag without your gloves on.

• J-Dub421
      4:51 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Is everyone on a scholarship of some kind getting a “cost of attendance stipend”? Also, “cost of attendance stipend” is just a fancy way of saying they’re getting paid. Beside, the schools won’t be paying the players anything. They players would simply be able to make money off their likeness, endorsements, autographs, etc. Why should the NCAA and the schools be the only ones making money off the players and their likeness? If a famous actor attends a college, they can still make money. Why should athletes be cut off from doing the same?

• NOLAcat
      5:09 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know the answer to your scholarship question, but I know when I took out student loans, the loans were for more than the cost of tuition to cover the cost of attendance, i.e. books, lodging, meals, etc. So it’s a fancy way of saying they are getting paid the cost of being a student in excess of what the school charges you to be enrolled.

That’s a lot different than saying they should take a share of the revenue they produce for the school and the NCAA, which, mind you, is not produced directly by the athlete but rather by the licensing of the school’s/NCAA’s intellectual property (at an enormous sum) to parties who then use that license to produce goods (jerseys, apparel, flags, at one point video games, etc.). Obviously there would be no demand to license the IP without the athletes, but its incorrect to suggest the athletes actually produce anything financial for the school other than demand. Now, should the athlete receive a portion of the revenue generated for EA sports by putting them on a video game? Should they be able to sell their autograph if they want to? In a vacuum, the answer is obviously yes. But the athletes don’t exist in a vacuum. They exist as part of a system which is deeply flawed, but which ultimately provides them with a world class education (even the mouth breathers at UofL), and a platform far superior than anything you or I will ever experience to showcase their abilities to prospective employers who can make them rich. The cost of that opportunity is not getting .06% of EA’s revenue from NCAA football or being able to sell 6 or 7 autographs per year, for the typical athlete. The atypical athlete is going to get his money anyway.

• NOLAcat
      5:12 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

And again, I’m quite confident that what comes after the NCAA should we choose this route will be much worse than the NCAA, which is saying a lot.

• njcat54
      9:07 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Given the shit storm that is the current NCAA, I’d be willing to take my chances on NCAA v2. At a minimum, the athletes should have a significant say in all decision making.

21. UKinIN
    4:13 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

The answer isn’t paying players. It would be unmanageable and create issues for programs, coaches, and teammates. Is the individual player trying to win or trying to build his brand? Treat the players like royalty. Spare no expense with lodgings, meals, transportation, healthcare, tuition, oh wait … they already get that! Everyone in the world works for someone. If players want to profit from their likeness they don’t have to play with the NCAA.

22. bennybbn
    4:25 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

In theory in a capitalist society yes they should be paid but also in a capitalistic social security, welfare, and free public education wouldn’t be a thing either, if you pay them it just ruins the pride they have for their schools, I agree with tebow

23. RICKSVD
    4:35 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Jesus, free food, free college, free housing, top of the line everything. Tudors, and every possible advantage you can receive. Yea, pay them. Makes no sense why they need to be paid as well. Don’t like it, don’t sign the scholarship.

• MrPioneer
      4:40 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

This is a tired argument and shows that you don’t understand the core of the argument.

• bennybbn
      4:44 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Exactly, if they wanna be paid then they have to pay for all of that like the rest of us

• Realme
      5:56 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Also, Tudors, lol.

24. largoky
    4:43 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

They do get paid, it’s called a scholarship. It’s a free education that most kids who don’t play sports that are otherwise gifted would give their left arm to have. As far as the money the universities make off of the merchandise they sell, put it in a general fund that the university could use to fuel the volunteer student athletes that go out into the community and give back. Boys and girls clubs, overseas missions, things like that. These athletes are going to get their due when they go pro, make money most of us will never make over the course of our lifetimes. Maybe this could even build a little character some of these students may need later in life on and off the field.

• Based God
      4:49 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Other students that are gifted or particularly skilled in their craft have the same opportunity to earn a free education. The difference is those students don’t bring in millions of dollars to their university.

25. MtnCat
    4:59 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Much has been said about it ruining the college game, it won’t. The money will be a small percentage of sales, would probably be escrowed for a future date, and could be used for good. Somewhere in the scenario should be team also. What is the downside of giving what is earned and due, college football can afford it.

26. ComfortablyNumb94
    5:14 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

I just don’t really see how this can be such a polarizing issue. So what if they make a buck or two off their own likeness? Won’t change how I watch the game, won’t change how I support my school. It’s silly to act like this is a make or break moment for college athletics, we can adapt as fans, times change.

27. Bourbon-n-Coke
    5:53 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

College isn’t a paying job and it certainly isn’t a profit sharing scenario either. If you want to get paid then get a job. If you opt for college be thankful that you’ve been given priority status for your admission (which often wouldn’t have happened otherwise) and a full scholarship worth a significant amount of money.

I’m pretty sure that college professors involved in creating new products or drugs which get patented don’t benefit from the financial gains made by the university. Should they apply for stipends too? After all, their compensation is typically less than the value of benefits already being received by student athletes. Where is the support for them hypocrites?

• njcat54
      9:13 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Athletes cannot work. No time. Hence no pocket $$$. People arguing that the scholarship is sufficient compensation did not grow up dirt poor. In college, kids like to do stuff with their friends but can’t, and are too ashamed to say why.

28. runningunnin.454
    5:58 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

In my opinion this would be disastrous for California and the ncaa. Would California want to risk hosting ncaa tournament basketball games or college football playoff games; or their teams even being allowed to compete for national championships? This would also affect non-revenue sports as well.
    Would the ncaa want to risk losing the California market?
    Another consideration is that this would give California schools an advantage in recruiting and broadcast rights.
    Other states could file suit under the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution that prohibits states from passing laws that interfere with interstate commerce. They could argue substantial economic consequences. Cooler heads need to prevail, and we need compromise to preclude disaster.

29. treeham3
    6:06 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

You d remember that these athletes get a college education that they may not otherwise been able to? College sports needs to stay amateur. These kids know coming in that they will not be making money from their likeness. College sports also gives them exposure that they may not get and it also gives the kid (like our own Josh Allen and Benny Snell Jr) that is low ranked a chance to develop into a draft pick…how would most be able to afford getting into college for that opportunity? Lots of pros/cons but college athletics is about the student and their future, not fast money.

• njcat54
      9:17 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

The majority of D-1 basketball and football players come from low income families and have terrible academic records. They are funneled into courses they can pass, not courses that set them up for a professional career. So no, the scholarship does not carry much value other than helping them become professional athletes.

30. treeham3
    6:09 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

p.s. the money that the schools make goes back into their programs, education, all of the expenses associated with their (and the other “smaller” ones) sport.

• Wakecrash
      8:21 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Yep, unintended consequences, but yet so easy to see. If they get paid while at college, then it needs to be a 4 year contract, not a scholarship that the kid can skip out of at anytime to go make millions. Should also expect a lot of scholarship players going into later years that don’t pan out like expected to to be cut to save money or make room for young talent, many other consequences….
      Players that can make money off of their jersey numbers in college, are in for way bigger pay day in the pros, while the vast majority of student athletes will be harmed.

31. grammarpoliceUK
    6:25 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

I have no problem with athletes getting some pay. After all, if others can make money from it, why can’t they. With that said, let me now say this: the real problem is our priorities are in the wrong place. This has become “hero” worship.What about those in college who are going to be doctors,RN’s, firefighters, police, emergency managers,scientists and chemists? Those young people in college now for those things will save tens of millions of lives over the next 40-50 years.Heck, one of them right now in college might cure cancer or some other horrible disease. They may come up with a way to create clean energy. Or cure one of the many of societal ills. I love sports. But the thoughts that we have placed them on special pedestals above some other professions shows we have lost our way. No one is going to pay a future all-star doctor or RN or other person as such money to do a car commercial, when those people are the real heroes!

• njcat54
      9:20 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

It’s called entertainment value. It’s the reason big time college sports make billions. People are willing to pay for it because it’s fun. Doctors, teachers and scientists are invaluable in society, but no one lines up to watch them work. It’s called economic value as opposed to social value.

• grammarpoliceUK
      12:00 am September 14, 2019 Permalink

Exactly what I was talking about njcat. We would rather watch sports. Not about watching doctors. If entertainment is taken to be more important than life, then we have sunk very low as a society.

32. CrystalBall
    10:40 pm September 13, 2019 Permalink

Can’t trust a man who won’t shave and looks like a bum.