Thursday’s Top 10: Kevin Durant murdered LeBron James last night

It looked as if LeBron James had willed his team to a win in last night’s Game 3 in Cleveland.

And then Kevin Durant happened.

Led by James’ 39 points, 11 assists and nine rebounds, the Cavs held a four-point lead with over a minute to go. The lead had been intact for over 13 minutes of action and it seemed as if it was LeBron’s night to keep his team in the series.

And then Kevin Durant happened.

Durant made a 15-footer to trim the lead to two, then after a missed Cavs three-point attempt, Durant grabbed the rebound, strolled up the court, and hit the dagger from long range in LeBron’s eye. Ball game. The Warriors closed out on an 11-0 run in the final three minutes and stole Game 3.

Series over. Durant is your MVP.

1. I kind of feel bad for LeBron James.

I had a substantial amount of my hard-earned money on the Warriors last night, so I slept very comfortably after they made the late comeback to win and cover. But even after the nice payday, I still felt bad for LeBron James because that one was pulled out from underneath him. Cleveland had that game won and LeBron could’ve been the hero who kept the Cavs’ hopes alive against the evil empire; But instead, Kevin Durant caught LeBron on his heels and buried him on his own floor. I think that Durant v. James debate is a little closer than many will admit right now.

2. Today is the first day of classes for the new Wildcats.

Thursday marks the beginning of the eight-week session of summer school, which marks the beginning of college for guys like Kevin Knox, Jarred Vanderbilt, P.J. Washington, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Jemarl Baker, as well as several of Mark Stoops’ new freshmen on the football team. I also frequented the summer session when I was in school, but only because I didn’t do so hot in the spring and fall semesters, not because I was a student-athlete. Big difference there. Good luck to them though.

3. Are you ready for the forensic audit of the UofL Foundation?

It comes out today and it could be juicy. Back in April, one of UofL’s lawyer’s predicted it could lead to legal action against “officers and directors or former board members” of the foundation, while acting UofL president Greg Postel hopes it will close the door on the past so everyone can move forward. Everyone interested in the whole thing, get your popcorn ready. It’s set to come out later this afternoon.

4. Cam Johnson wrote a letter calling out Pitt for blocking his immediate eligibility.

Big shout-out to former UK target Cam Johnson for calling out his old school and fighting the good fight for immediate playing time at North Carolina.

Here’s how the letter it ends:

Besides incorrectly attempting to block me, there are other reasons Pitt should have immediately granted my full release. During my last season at Pitt, Coach Dixon left to become the head coach at TCU, Coach Stallings left Vanderbilt to come to Pitt, we had one director of athletics leave and another (Heather Lyke) come to Pitt, and just in the last week the associate AD at Pitt who presented the case against me in my hearing has left to join another school.

All five of these individuals left their jobs under contract and all had the freedom to move as they pleased. As a student-athlete, who is not a paid employee of the school, and a graduate, shouldn’t I be granted the same freedom of movement?

Further, there is precedent in the ACC, for men’s basketball and football players to play at two different ACC schools in consecutive seasons, following their graduate transfers.

I started this process believing that having graduated from Pitt, I should have instantly been granted an unconditional release. I feel that should be available to any student-athlete who earns their degree. Unfortunately, Pitt has continued to try and block my wish to attend North Carolina. Now that I have learned that their attempt to make me sit a year before competing at an ACC school is against NCAA rules, I see no reason why the faculty committee, or anybody associated with Pitt, should be able to reverse a ruling they already made. Quite simply, I should be immediately eligible at North Carolina.

Sincerely,

Cameron Johnson

Read the whole thing here.

5. Bam Adebayo to work out for the Miami Heat.

Miami has only one pick in the upcoming draft, at No. 14. It’s unlikely Adebayo’s stock rises high enough to go in the lottery, but that’s why he is attending all of these workouts. He worked out for the Pistons and the Pacers earlier this week.

6. CBSSports.com’s new mock draft has Malik Monk falling to No. 10.

Reid Forgrave tried to show off in his latest mock update by throwing in a trade that would send Malik Monk to the Pistons at No. 10 in the draft. In my very biased and very unprofessional opinion, there’s no way in hell Monk falls to No. 10. But what do I know?

7. Take one look at this guy running in the 1,500 meter final for Ole Miss and you’ll think you went back in time.

Photos via Darren Rovell

Wow, what a look.

8. Fred Hoiberg rumors swirling up at Ohio State.

If you’re to believe the internets, Hoiberg is the favorite to fill the new vacancy left open by Thad Matta as the Buckeyes’ head basketball coach. However, Hoiberg said, “I’m coach of the Bulls and have no intention of leaving.”

9. Vote for UK’s Evan White for the Golden Spike Award.

You can do so by clicking here and submitting your vote.

Beat Louisville.

10. KSR is in Bardstown for today’s show.

Stop by Conway Heaton to catch Matt, Ryan and maybe Shannon at today’s live remote broadcast of KSR.

Article written by Drew Franklin

17 Comments for Thursday’s Top 10: Kevin Durant murdered LeBron James last night

1. Jayy
    9:06 am June 8, 2017 Permalink

Those poor Cavs, They have a 27 mill higher payroll and are getting dominated. Need to fire Lebron as GM. I don’t think Jordan had a teammate that scored over 35 in a playoff finals game.

• donjohnson
      2:36 pm June 8, 2017 Permalink

The payroll is because dray, klay, and curry all together make like 42 mil. Because curry was a cripple when they re signed him and klay and dray did deals b4 all this him sense now where Durant makes 30 mil. They will not be able to pay them all as contracts expire. Plus they got Livingston and iggy and low contracts because they struggled prior to coming there. Both revitalized career there and are free agents this season. So unless a bunch of them take way less money this craziness won’t last long.

Chris 18
      Boston started this whole thing. Plus the current scenario would be more like of LeBron went to Boston after he coudlnt beat them. Big difference vs second best team going to what was already considered best team because he couldn’t beat them

2. Not Dan Issel
    9:08 am June 8, 2017 Permalink

A tribute to Steve Prefontaine?

3. RealCatsFan
    9:25 am June 8, 2017 Permalink

Meh on NBA finals. Couldn’t. Care. Less.

I don’t feel a lot of empathy for Johnson having to sit out a season for transferring to UNCheat. Those fokkers should be serving a nulti year postseason ban anyway, if not the death penalty.

4. TBW3011
    9:30 am June 8, 2017 Permalink

Worst headline ever? Certainly in the running.

• Booby Petrino
      9:38 am June 8, 2017 Permalink

you new here? Not even close to worst headline ever on this site. There are several years worth of bad headlines that far outweigh this one.

5. CatManDo
    9:48 am June 8, 2017 Permalink

Who knew Joe Dirt could run so fast.

6. NashBandit
    10:33 am June 8, 2017 Permalink

I don’t feel bad for Lebron… didn’t he just last year steal the series from the Dubs and win a championship? Isn’t this the 7th finals in a row he’s been to? Did he not start this whole superfriends team-up trend in the NBA? He just got one-upped finally this year. “Oh, you want to have the big 3? We’ll just go get a big 4.” –Golden State

Also, now that it’s stated I don’t feel bad for Lebron, I can say he’s still the best player in the league and Durant isn’t close yet. So, all this “Durant is taking the mantle from him” nonsense, is just that. Do this one exercise… have them switch places. No team gets within 50 of the Warriors in that scenario. The Cavs aren’t likely even in the Finals. Or if they are, they got taken to a couple of game 7s along the way.

• CatsfaninFL
      11:19 am June 8, 2017 Permalink

Agree with you on all accounts… however, the modern day Big 3 issue started with Boston’s Pierce, Garnett, and Ray Allen teaming up. It was even dubbed ‘Big 3’ because it was Boston and they had a prior group known as the “Big 3” in Bird, McHale, and Parish.

Lebron left Cleveland for Miami the first time because he lost in the Eastern Conf Finals to said Big 3.

• notbillraftery
      3:34 pm June 8, 2017 Permalink

Agree completely, this talk of Durant taking mantle from Lebron is complete BS. You switch LBJ for KD and Cleveland might not even make the finals….

7. ekywildcat
    11:48 am June 8, 2017 Permalink

Johnson is going to UNC, so screw him. I couldn’t care less if he ever plays. As far as Lebron, I would rather see the Cavs win because I have nieces in NE Ohio that are Cavs fans, myself, I’m not really a fan of the NBA, except for the UK players.

8. BigBlueMeade
    12:13 pm June 8, 2017 Permalink

“Staches for Naties” has been a running thing for a while and those Ole Miss guys take it seriously lol. Tons of runners will be sporting staches like that, but he one upped them by throwing in the mullet.

9. chrisg18
    2:06 pm June 8, 2017 Permalink

Lebron started the whole “run off to join a superteam with my friends” trend, so I have zero sympathy for him. KD even acknowledged that.

10. catsarerunnin
    3:00 pm June 8, 2017 Permalink

Drew is THE ramblin’,gamblin’ man…..

11. EdC
    3:30 pm June 8, 2017 Permalink

If something happens bad in his private life then I’ll feel sorry for him. In basketball never. After that cocky move to Miami and predicting how they were going to win 7 titles I LOVE seeing Durant go to the Warriors and out Lebron Lebron.