Thursday Show Thread

My internet is out because Time Warner is the worst so I’m trying to post the thread via phone. I hope this works.

On today’s show, they will talk about Cal’s comments from yesterday’s Alltech Rebelation and the terms of his new deal.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

39 Comments for Thursday Show Thread

1. UK_JB
    10:01 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

I had a cousin that was the David Letterman in 2000 I believe for Turkey calling. Nobody believed him until he wasn’t at school that day then we watched him on TV the next day. Pretty cool. I need to find that on tape. He did ask how do you say the capital of Kentucky, Louisville or Lewisville? He said Frankfort thankfully.

I was more of a Jay Leno fan until the Conan deal.

• catdaddyd
      2:23 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

Conan’s ratings were horrible, and he got 39 million to go away and quit whining.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:02 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

JB! You’re late!

• UK_JB
      10:03 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

Nope. Your comment is awaiting moderation.

• UK_JB
      10:03 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

Not sure what I really said that made it awaiting.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:08 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

Thank God. Maybe that will help us land Murray. Keeping the mojo.

• J-Dub421
      10:33 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

There is no method to the madness with the moderation function.

3. millerkc
    10:07 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

I remember that episode

4. TK
    10:08 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

Hope you all can reach this page. Mt Eden, Shelbyville, cities and BBN come out to pay tribute to Blake Hundley. BBN is awesome!

• J-Dub421
      11:07 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

You made me cry at work with this.

5. millerkc
    10:18 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

I think Calipari’s NBA remarks are just recruiting statements. Think about what is most important to recruits. Players First right?

• cracka
      11:28 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

seems kind of like a root cause principle … pitino used to say our goal was to have 30 deflections and 5 steals and 10 offensive rebounds or something like that … obviously the goal was to win the game, but that’s not what he said … cal says we want you to get better over the course of the year so that you are an nba player, i’m sure thinking that if we had 8 nba players on our team we’d have a really good shot at winning the title … also thinking that if we focus on creating players good enough to go pro, that recruiting will keep rolling and we’ll be good every year

6. JD-UK
    10:20 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

If Cal’s personal goals as a coach are to get 8 players to the NBA then fine, but the team goal shouldnt be to see how many people they can get in the NBA.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:22 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

I agree with you. Goal #1 should be a national championship. Goal #2 should be NBA draft picks. Money is going to be made regardless for the guys good enough. Not everyone is a national champion.

• J-Dub421
      10:28 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

I still think it’s mostly a recruiting pitch and coach speak. I’m pretty sure Cal and the team want to win the title every season. The players all talked about wanting to win a title all season long.

7. Realme
    10:20 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

Sigh, Ryan. If Cal wasn’t so “Players First,” we wouldn’t have had these amazing teams over the last 6 years. If his way works, and works well, why complain?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:25 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

I know the randomness the NCAA tournament brings. With that said, we have had the best team in the NCAA tournament 3 of those 6 years (2010, 2012, & 2015. Only 1 title. I like those odds going in and I’m not greedy, I just don’t want to see Duke or the other teams I hate win it when we don’t.

• J-Dub421
      10:32 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

I hated seeing Duke win (although after losing to Wisconsin I didn’t want them to win either). Looking back though, how often does the overall #1 seed win the tournament? Not very often.

• Realme
      10:33 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

There will be more titles. Cal will always have the team in a place where they can win, and I think that’s what we can reasonably expect. Part of getting us in the hunt for a title almost every year is being a pr genius that gets the players here and bought in. All year the team said the goal was a championship. It just didn’t happen, and that does suck.

8. millerkc
    10:24 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

You keep bringing future NBA stars through Lexington, and you can make your goal to eat a bologna sandwich for all i care.

9. houndstooth
    10:29 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

Screw Christian- the only thing I would listen to on that show would be chester calling in to cuss him out!

10. Middle Aged Jeezy
    10:35 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

Matt, it’s all just semantics. All that matters is that Cal spends every minute of every day trying to make his team better and does everything in his power to win. You won’t find anyone more competitive than Cal.

11. millerkc
    10:36 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

Love Letterman. Stephen Colbert is going to be awesome though.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:33 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

I agree. It will be very hard to follow Letterman, but if anyone can do it, it will be Colbert.

12. J-Dub421
    10:37 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

I don’t know if Ryan knows what Ryan is arguing….

13. millerkc
    10:38 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

He made this statement where……….and now it’s all people are talking about. This also happens at the same time a top level recruit is on campus. AND it killed all the NBA chatter from our local guys.

YEAH, something tells me Cal knows exactly what he is doing.

14. Realme
    10:39 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

I’d have been interested to listen to Laettner, but this begging him to do it seems a little weird.

15. houndstooth
    10:51 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

did anyone ever find out what happened to that one guy and got cut off on the phone?

16. J-Dub421
    11:18 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

The recruits don’t have to be wherever Cal is speaking, his comments will be all over the media and they’ll see them.

17. Laker Cat 18
    11:24 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

The Price is Right is not even the best thing Bob Barker did in his career. Happy Gilmore anyone?

• J-Dub421
      11:26 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

The price is wrong Bob!!!

18. bigbluecoop
    11:36 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

Technically, the Sesame Street characters are muppets too. Created by and, some, performed by Jim Henson.

19. J-Dub421
    11:38 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

Jeopardy is the best game show in my opinion.

20. Laker Cat 18
    11:42 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

Only let Perry Stevenson do it if he’s willing to go all in on Gilllispie stories.

• J-Dub421
      11:47 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

And get Josh Harrellson so co-host with him.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:54 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

Yes and maybe Darius if his schedule allows.

• J-Dub421
      11:56 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

That would be epic! I can’t even begin to imagine what those guys went through.

21. ricdix
    11:47 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

@Matt…. I agree the voice did sound different but the way he talked, i believe it was him.

22. Laker Cat 18
    11:54 am May 21, 2015 Permalink

Yes, Kevin Garnett is officially on the Minnesota Timberwolves right now. He played before the regular season ended actually.