Thursday Night News and Views

I just woke up from a nap that ran around four hours too long (last night was a late one) but I’m awake just in time to write a few notes while Bama beats Ohio State. I’ll be back on tomorrow with a full day of stuff, so check in throughout the day whenever is convenient.

Hope everyone had a fun and safe New Year’s Eve and Happy 2015 and all that.

Damien Harris to play in the Under Armour All-American bowl tomorrow.

After what feels like months of Vines and interviews from the action down in St. Petersburg, Damien Harris and his fellow Under Armour All-Americans will finally suit up and play actual football tomorrow afternoon. The game is set for a 4:00 pm kickoff on ESPN2. UK target Marcus Lewis will also participate.

Once the game is over and he’s back in Kentucky, Harris will have one week to determine where he will play college football next fall. The nation’s No. 1 running back plans to make his announcement January 9 from his high school. He’s down to Alabama, Ohio State and the Cats.

Also tomorrow: Antonio Blakeney will announce his decision.

Five-star scoring guard Antonio Blakeney is scheduled to announce his college decision on ESPNU tomorrow during halftime of his game. The game tips off at 4:30 so look for the announcement to come a little after 5:00.

Blakeney is deciding between LSU, Kentucky and Missouri with LSU as the presumed favorite among most of the people who cover this stuff.

Camp Cal is going well.

Reports out of the Joe Craft Center suggest things are going well during “Camp Cal,” UK’s nine days of practice before conference play. In fact, it’s going so well, Marcus Lee tweeted his excitement about practice.

The team is working hard to catch its offense up with its defense during this stretch and Tony Barbee said on Monday it’ll be scary for everyone else once that happens.

Poor Ole Miss might be in for a long one on Tuesday.

Jeff Goodman believes Tyler Ulis should be in charge, not Andrew Harrison.

Jeff Goodman churned out some nice words about Tyler Ulis over at ESPN.com today. You can read it here. While I don’t particularly care what Goodman usually has to say about Kentucky, he did have some interesting stuff from people who know basketball. Goodman polled 36 coaches and NBA execs about what lineup they believe Kentucky should have on the floor in crunch time and every single one of them named Tyler Ulis.

“It’s not even close between Ulis and Andrew Harrison,” one NBA’er told Goodman. “Ulis helps the team. He moves the ball, is a better passer and is just as good a shooter, probably better. Andrew Harrison doesn’t do much to make his teammates better. He wants to bully his way to score, and most of his passes go to his brother. He plays like he grew up playing 1-on-1 against his brother in the driveway.”

I love both players equally and can’t wait to see how Andrew responds next game.

So this is funny…

John Calipari wished everyone a Happy New Year.

He tweeted:

Happy New Year! Let’s all continue to dream big dreams, to attack adversity w/vigor, & realize that when one door closes, another one opens. Also, let’s all try to create hope for others where there seems to be none and spend a little time every day being kind to someone. It’s hard to fall off the wagon when those are your New Year’s resolutions.

Then he questioned himself:

As the coach at Kentucky and as we move forward, I question myself in this regard: How can we have more fun and enjoy this unusual team? How can I keep them curious so complacency doesn’t set in? How do I make sure they continue to keep the clutter away? How do I keep them together so that they handle adversity together and collectively so no one feels overwhelmed?

I’m not sure it’s possible to have much more fun than demolishing Kansas and UCLA and then beating Louisville in Louisville. But I guess we’ll find out in the next few months.

Is it March yet?

Article written by Drew Franklin

22 Comments for Thursday Night News and Views

1. tkat
    11:11 pm January 1, 2015 Permalink

Ulis is out rebounding Andrew and his assist are double Andrews. I think there is some room for improvement for both players, but no way Ulis should be out rebounding Andrew. Having said that, this team needs Andrew Harrison and #BBN is 100% behind him. Go CATS!

• UK Big Board Update
      11:16 pm January 1, 2015 Permalink

While I agree with most of your points, I wouldn’t put too much stock in the rebounding numbers. With Andrews size, Cal wants him to focus more on getting back on D so teams don’t get easy run-outs. Same with Devin Booker.

• Hartline
      11:42 pm January 1, 2015 Permalink

Its also worth noting who is generally playing with Andrew and who is playing with Ulis

• UK Big Board Update
      11:50 pm January 1, 2015 Permalink

I bet Louisville would like to have Andrew Harrison……

• rnet
      12:57 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

Also worth noting, if we do not want any distractions for this team and their chance at history, why is Drew putting it out there. Matt screams every day and practically hangs up on callers that call in the show with this. So why post links about it?

2. Katya
    11:15 pm January 1, 2015 Permalink

Ulis’ stats on the year 5.8 ppg 2.2 rpg 3.7 apg
    Harrison’s stats on the year 7.3 ppg 2.2 rpg 4.2 apg

3. rnet
    12:47 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

gotta a feeling after OSU vs ALA game, Harris goes with the Buckeyes, couldn’t blame the kid if he does

• rnet
      12:49 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

Hope I am wrong but damn, dynasty is coming for OSU as long as Meyer is there

• Time Expired
      12:51 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

Yes it kinda sucked that Bama lost but I was never counting on Harris being here to start with. A bonus if he does but will not get my hopes too high.

• BeastCat
      2:15 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

Good try…..Good Effort troll……..Damien is UK all the way.

• rnet
      2:40 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

not a troll , just being real. I hope he does bleed blue

• Wild Bourbon Cat
      8:50 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

Do you even follow recruiting? All along people have said it’s been precieved as UK and bama as the leaders with osu a distant 3rd. osu has already got a 4 star(?) RB commited for this class. If anything the bama loss helps UK’s chances.

4. Governor
    12:50 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

That Vine… THAT VINE. It’s just a masterpiece.

Also, to hell with OSU and Urban Meyer. I hope Oregon destroys them, their mothers, their grandmothers, and then invents a time machine and destroys their neanderthal ancestors.

• Time Expired
      12:54 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

Oregon overwhelmed Fld. St. but they were weak to start with coming from that pathetic ACC. O. St looks big fast and better than I thought. Oregon is speed, speedier, and speediest and I say go Ducks.

5. Rise
    12:53 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

I can’t stand Ohio St. SEC was very overrated this year. No defense. Looks like Urban Meyer heart condition miraculously disappeared.

6. JLP
    1:01 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

I love OSU in football and UK in basketball. And I can’t lose when it comes to the national title game as I attended both OSU and Oregon. Great day! But I am all UK for basketball as I was a UK student the year AFTER Rupp’s runts and I followed Phil Argento from his high school days to his UK days. An old timer who grew up in Ohio but who has family roots in Estill Co.

• Wild Bourbon Cat
      8:40 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

You truely are the worst kind of fan… It’s OK you can keep osu football and turn in your UK basketball card to a true BBN fan. BYE!

• JLP
      12:51 pm January 2, 2015 Permalink

Wild Bourbon, who made you in charge of BBN “rules”? I think a good number of fans have multiple allegiances. I grew up in Ohio. I attended several colleges. I have always followed UK basketball and attended UK. The fact you think you set the rules is pathetic.

7. Casper
    1:07 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

SEC football did a total face slam today…
    After such humiliation, UK basketball is our only hope

8. catdaddyd
    1:07 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

Did anyone see Urban Meyers wife trying to get screen time to promote something, she looked crazy, and he looked annoyed. When they were interviewing him on the field after the game. Some tall bald guy kept pointing at the camera to make sure she got in yhe shot.

• Bullitt County UK fan
      1:42 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

That was his wife? I thought she was just a random photo-bomber yelling at the camera!

9. EdC
    10:03 am January 2, 2015 Permalink

As long as Andrew keeps his head on straight (or perhaps gets it on based on the Louisville body language) there is no issue. Coming off the bench is an absolute dream for the Cats, Coach and Ulis. He is getting all the national chatter without the pressure of starting and absorbing the other team’s best energy. Why stir anything up when no other team has finished within 8 points of you and you are moving into conference play?

Now let’s take care of business and sweep the conference, wiping the floor with cocky Florida every single time we face them.