Keeneland’s unprecedented summer meet was only five days long. In that short time three jockeys who rode in the meet contracted coronavirus.
Florent Geroux announced on Twitter that he has tested positive for COVID-19. Known by race fans simply as FloGo, over the last week he rode races at Keeneland, Indiana Grand and Belmont Park.
I have tested positive for COVID-19. I’m currently feeling well, quarantined, and looking forward to rejoining the racetrack when I’m cleared. Thank you everyone for the well wishes. Stay safe!
— Florent Geroux (@flothejock) July 14, 2020
During the summer meet at Keeneland riders were quarantined in separate jockey rooms based on their most recent destination. FloGo shared a room with riders from Indiana Grand, including Luis Saez, the jockey of Maximum Security, who was pulled out of competition Friday once a test results confirmed he was positive for COVID-19. Saez was asymptomatic and had already finished second in one Friday afternoon race.
After participating in Saturday’s races at Keeneland, Flavien Prat flew to San Diego to race at Del Mar. Upon his arrival Sunday morning he tested positive for COVID-19. Prat’s agent, Derek Lawson, told the L.A. Times he does not believe Prat contracted the virus in Kentucky.
“There is no way it happened at Keeneland,” Lawson said. “It was likely something that transpired at Los Al from the last time he was riding over there. It could be some kind of hot spot, but we don’t know.”
The ‘Los Al’ Lawson referred to is Los Alamitos Race Course in Orange County, CA. Prat, Saez and Triple Crown-winning jockey Victor Espinoza are among five jockeys that participated in Los Al’s seven-day summer card that have tested positive for coronavirus, possibly making the Southern California track the source of the small outbreak.