This pastor bailing on church for an NFL game is something a UK fan would do

Pastor Tim Christensen of Gold Hill Lutheran Church in Butte, Montana held a one-minute church service yesterday so he could make it home to catch his 49ers in the NFL playoffs. The video is making the rounds on the internet today and I’ll share it here because I’m certain this would happen all over the state of Kentucky if the Cats ever play an early Sunday game.

Article written by Drew Franklin

41 Comments for This pastor bailing on church for an NFL game is something a UK fan would do

1. Do whut?
    12:08 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

The problem is this guy isn’t in the Bay Area so it isn’t exactly comparable to Kentucky churches rushing services to watch the Cats. I would imagine the folks of Butte weren’t to thrilled to have services shortened so a guy could watch the 49ers game anymore then Hartford, Connecticut worshippers would be in support of a pastor’s hurried lesson so as to make the Cats’ tip-off.

• CatsfaninFL
      1:13 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Wow… analyzing a bit too much aren’t we?

First off, the pastor could be from the bay area and thus easily a fan despite being nowhere near SF. Secondly, it appears to be a small church and my guess is most of the church members are very familiar with his fanhood. Finally, given the laughter in the background for the entire thing, I’m sure they enjoyed it. Lighten up some.

As the son of a pastor, I’ve seen my father be reminded numerous times that a UK game has a certain tip time close to the end of Sunday service… so it’s good to see a pastor roll with his fanhood and do what many of us have wanted to see from our pastor a time or two.

• Jeffrey
      1:14 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

The Point <<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> You

• Do whut?
      2:46 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Fair enough. I figured the laughter actually meant they already knew this plan was in place and folks were encouraged to attend the early service. Just thought it odd to expect your Butte parishioners to understand a one minute service to watch a 49’s game. That and technically with the time of the game I’m not really sure he would have missed much of anything by doing a regular service. Nonetheless lighten up Francis is a fair response.

2. JoeMoney333
    1:10 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Silly Protestants.

3. UK/Florida game
    1:24 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

I never, ever happen at noon EST on a Sunday (which is 11 AM CST, if you have ever noticed that roughly 40% of Kentucky is in central time).

4. Scuba Steve
    1:30 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

This is pathetic, truly.

• Dan
      5:59 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Lighten up. Funny stuff.

5. raccoon
    1:35 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Until someone can explain why you’d be having service at 1:30 – game was 4:30 eastern/1:30 pacific, I’m going to assume this video is “fake.” I put this in quotes because I just mean it was real in the sense that the guy really did do a one-minute sermon, but it wasn’t the regular Sunday service and I’m guessing everyone knew ahead of time (and it might not have actually been a couple minutes before the game).

Still pretty funny though. Also I realize that I’m going a bit overboard in analyzing this video.

• Cat Fan In Georgia
      1:47 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Game was at Carolina, 1PM Eastern. So 11AM in Butte.

• Time Zones Say...
      2:34 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

BOOM!

• raccoon
      4:29 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Oh I see. How am I supposed to remember what happened yesterday?

6. Dallas
    2:22 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Anyone who puts sports before God well its a shame.

• Roofus Howls
      2:58 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Father Tony Jones of The Immaculate in Owensboro is as big of a UK fan as you’ll meet. He still had normal Saturday evening Mass on the Saturday night in April 2012 when UK played UL in the Final Four.

• Atheist
      3:32 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Seeing has how a god probably does not exist anyway, I wouldn’t sweat it. Even if a deity does exist, I don’t think it cares if you skip out of a cult worship to catch the game.

• Do whut?
      4:43 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Before you troll by attacking some of the most dearly held beliefs among much of the world you might at least use cult properly. You might also consider why someone so comfortable in his own belief that there is no deity would be so offended by the faith of another. The lady doth protest too much methinks.

• DH
      5:19 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

He never said he was offended. Just stating his opinion. Why is it trolling when he states his religious opinion, but not when a church-goer states their opinion?

• Do whut?
      5:27 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Inaccurately referring to Christian worship as “cult worship” certainly seems provocative. If I have mischaracterized or misunderstood his statement then my apologies.

• Noah Wiki Webster
      6:08 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

You may want to look up Cult and tell me how Christianity or any other religion is not a cult. Religion is in the very definition of it it. Religion and beliefs are not above ridicule.

• Do whut?
      7:08 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

While the term originally and technically referred (refers) to a religious group and its adherents the modern English usage has a derogatory connotation. Perhaps he was using the 17 th century definition but somehow I don’t think so.

7. Syrio Forel
    3:14 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

I think I can help with this religious debate:

There is only one god, and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: ‘Not today’.

• Atheist
      3:32 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Just So

8. ReverendBlue
    3:26 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

He made a total mockery of something sacred and I found it to be disgusting. I love Kentucky basketball, but would never dream of pulling a stunt like that. Coach Cal is great, but he can’t get you to Heaven. Situations like these are the reason for a good DVR. Give the Lord His rightful honor and THEN let’s say, “Go Cats!”

• UK Wildcat
      3:32 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Thats your opinion. Personally I don’t believe any of that religious nonsense, so I found it hilarious and probably just as insightful as a full length service would have been.

• Do whut?
      4:52 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

At least we have something in common. I don’t believe in any of this atheist nonsense.

9. Joe Fan
    3:42 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

I agree 100%. Even if this was a joke or skit, making light of sacred things such as the sacraments is in poor judgment.

10. BB
    3:43 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

It happened at my church at sunday evening service in ’98 when cardiac cats came back on Duke. There was a tv in the back and someone said cats were down 18 . As soon as pastor got word they were making a run he shut it down and everyone gathered round to watch UK pound the Dukies. Alot of praising going on when Mills hit that shot!

11. Dee
    3:58 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

In the early 90’s the church I attended rescheduled services so everyone could watch the UK Game in March….

12. AAAARGGHHH! The Pirate
    4:08 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

At our Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, our blessed FSM has allowed us to watch all the sports we want, no matter when. He has truly blessed us with his Noodly Appendage. rAmen

• VinnyCent
      4:42 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Blessed is the FSM.

• Do whut?
      4:50 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

This is probably the lamest of all attacks on Christianity. The comparison of the Flying Spaghetti Monster to Jesus Christ of Nazareth. A man whose existence isn’t even considered in question by historians nor is the fact that he was indeed crucified. Whether or not he was the son of God can reasonably be debated but by making absurd comparisons like this one you do nothing more than unfairly mock those with which you disagree and reveal your utter lack of a rational argument. And frankly it’s childish.

• Melvit
      4:53 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Please go back to reading Reddit and post there. They like your intolerance and old, unoriginal humor.

• Melvit
      4:54 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

@Do what?– the FSM was made up by teen aged boys on Reddit, so yes, it is ignorant and childish.

• Noah Wiki Webster
      6:15 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

FSM is not a comparison to Jesus. It is a comparison to all gods showing how easy it is to make this stuff up. Yes, it is childish and that is the whole point. It is not proven the man Jesus of Nazareth existed, but even if he did, it is an extremely large leap to say he was the son of a deity. I am sure some of you who are offended mock Islam and other religions. I bet it is safe to say you do not believe in the thousands of gods throughout history. Why is your particular deity any different?

• Do whut?
      7:17 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Again the existence of Jesus is not considered legitimately debatable by historians. I have already conceded that the status of his deity can be rationally argued. Since FSM is compared to “all gods” that necessarily includes Jesus and the comparison remains an absurd one.

13. Bob
    4:25 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Do they not have DVR in Montana? Just record it, that is what most people do.

14. DH
    5:26 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

It’s one thing to not believe in organized religion and it should be ok to voice your opinion about it, but it’s not right to mock someone else’s religion in the process. People take faith very seriously. I personally am not a religious person, and I find it offensive to make fun of something other people hold very dearly. Believe in what makes you a better person and more comfortable dealing with questions you don’t know the answers to. Live and let live, folks. That goes both ways, too. It’s not necessary to ridicule an athiest for their beliefs, or lack there of

• C'mon, son
      5:28 am January 14, 2014 Permalink

I agree that people shouldn’t mock others, yet look at the comment from Sorry below, who is mocking non-believers as well.

15. Larry Hagman
    7:37 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

He better stay in his church next week and pray to his god.

16. Hendo Blue
    8:21 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Cats play an early game every year here in the western part of the state, when they play Florida at 11:00 CST. It’s why we all have dvr’s.

17. Sorry
    9:41 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Those who fail to believe must simply feel lost alone and pathetic. This is seen by their actions on this very message board. A need to argue their point beat their chest announce their disbelief is just evidence their life is empty. They strive for nothing more then to benefit themselves. I’m sorry. Basketball surely plays a larger roll in your life when it’s so empty