IMG_2329

It’s only Day 2 of Mrs. Tyler’s vacation and I’m already a little spent, so we’re going to bypass the introductory couple of paragraphs in the night post about someone’s birthday, retirement, or the last good movie I saw. Tonight I’m just giving away the News and Views honors to a kid whose name I don’t know, solely because he was spotted on a volcano in Nicaragua in a Kentucky t-shirt.

Some friends of mine recently traveled to Nicaragua on a mission trip to build houses and deliver shoes to children in the Third World country. While taking time off to hike and sightsee, they befriended the young boy who was mixing concrete in Kentucky blue. As you can see, they taught him how to throw up the three-goggle like a true Cats fan. I guess you can say he “gets it.”

Moving on…

*****

We read great quotes from John Calipari on Tuesday.

First, John Rothstein shared a lengthy Q&A session with Coach Cal on CBSSports.com. It included interesting stuff from Cal about shunning the Cavs — he said the main reason he stuck around was to stay loyal to the returning players — and that he is still unsure how he will use his team’s depth to his advantage next season. It also included what he believes is the hardest part about his job at UK: “The pace of this. I see my picture five years ago from that press conference and I’ve aged 10 years since then. Minimum. All I know is there’s a reason that I look the way I do now and five years ago I didn’t look this way.”

Then, Mike DeCourcy over at Sporting News shared an article with similar quotes and one in particular stood out among the rest. Cal told him, “If I came back after (the NBA Draft deadline) and left … tough move. If it was your son, how would you feel? ‘That rat, we could have left, why didn’t he tell us?’”

That’s “solely” the reason he turned down NBA offers.

Read DeCourcy’s piece here.

You need to hear Jon Rothstein’s report from Kentucky basketball practice.

Rothstein called in to Kentucky Sports Radio on Tuesday to give a report on what he saw at UK’s Monday afternoon practice. The CBSSports personality told Matt, “The size at every position is staggering and the depth for the upcoming year will be unequivocally better than any depth John Calipari has had since he’s been the head coach at Kentucky.”

He also gave analysis of each of the new guys (sans the injured Trey Lyles), saying Devin Booker is shooting better than anyone on the floor and teams will not be able to zone Kentucky when he is in the game. That, plus great things about Tyler Ulis’ court vision and Karl Towns’ ability to stretch the floor. Take a second to listen to it.

Calipari compared his current roster situation (it being stacked) to Rick Pitino’s ’96 team.

Also from DeCourcy:

When Rick Pitino dealt with this sort of overcrowding with Kentucky’s 1995-96 “Untouchables” team, players as gifted as Ron Mercer (the No. 3 pick in the 1997 NBA Draft) and Derek Anderson (the No. 13 pick in ’97 even with a damaged knee) did not average even 20 minutes per game. Only three guys on that team did, and no one played 30. Wing Allen Edwards was at the back end of the rotation, getting 9 minutes per game. The stacked roster led UK to redshirt forward Jared Prickett after five games.

Calipari told these Wildcats there will be similar sacrifices and significant demands. He intends to install a list of several “non-negotiables” – actions that will lead to a player being automatically removed from a game.

James Young met with the media, said he’s not a fan of the overwhelming expectations at Kentucky.

Young encourages the 2014-15 group to tune out any and all 40-0 talk entering the season. “Don’t listen to it at all,” he said. “We kind of listened to it last year, and it kind of got to us. We had an up-and-down season. So really just leave the media stuff alone and just stay focused.”

He also confirmed he is cleared to start playing again after suffering a concussion in a car accident before the draft.

Oh, and after researching the Celtics, he learned Larry Bird was really good.

Anthony Davis talked to NBA TV after Tuesday’s USA Basketball practice.

nba-tv

With Love bowing out of camp, Davis is now the most experienced player behind Durant in the program and its best post presence. He is a lock to make the final roster and will almost certainly be included in the starting five.

Hopefully DeMarcus Cousins, who is playing well in Las Vegas, joins Davis in the USA frontcourt. Cousins said in an interview that he is “there to work.”

Don’t forget: Football players begin camp on Monday.

This year the guys will have their hands full with classwork during the first week of camp. This is the first year practice has gotten underway before summer school ends, so they’ll be putting the pads on early before going to school.

Can’t wait to get some updates from the team, the new guys especially.

We have a Patrick Sparks sighting.

@CoachTJbball sent us this photo of the former Wildcat from Central City. I have no idea what the HSM Summer League is but I think Sparks is still going strong in Slovakia. Correct me if I’m wrong.

KSR will be in Maysville on Wednesday.

Only three stops remain in the KSR summer tour, meaning you have only three more chances to win UK basketball tickets or a spot in the Bahamas drawing. Matt and Ryan will be at Mann Chrysler in Maysville for a live broadcast of Wednesday’s show and they would love to see you. Get there early and you may find yourself in the “Best Seats In The House.”

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

24 Comments for This Kid Mixing Concrete On A Volcano In Nicaragua While Wearing A UK T-Shirt’s Wednesday News and Views

1. Bobbum man
    12:01 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

Not exactly encouraging in my opinion about cal. Seems like if there’s a mass exodus of players one year and a decent offer is on the table he could likely be gone. Hope I’m wrong but if that’s the sole reason, we’re not gonna have people like this returning every year

• ukfan515
      1:14 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

It still honestly surprises me that I haven’t heard more people with this opinion! I totally aftershocks to me like after this year he’s gone even if there is only a decent offer on the table. I think recruits notice this too with only Charles Matthews taking that gamble. Either way though Cal gave me the first championship I personally remember. But if he stays 5 more years we’ll name a court after him!

2. Luke
    12:11 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

Amazing picture and good deed done by your good friends Drew. It’s reminds me, always support the unfortunate and little people in the world.

While you are in Maysville, stop at the original Magees Bakery. They have awesome transparent chess pies!! Just like you can get on Main Street in Lexington…..

3. Cal Leaves After This Season
    12:29 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

That lets me know Cal is ready to leave UK. I think the UK job has burned him out. He’s ready for a change. I am willing to bet that if the 4 returning players had all gone pro, then Cal would have left. He’s gone after this season. Get Ready for Tubby/Billy Clyde Decline. Everyone enjoy the Renaissance this year. It’s over after this year. No One, No One can replace Cal. No One.

• Jarvis Redwine
      8:03 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

Patently false and a blatant fallacy. No one is irreplaceable. UK will be fine. Two recent mistakes, Sutton and Gillispie, almost insure UK will hire a more than capable replacement, when that time arrives.

• dasf
      9:15 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

He might be gone after this year, but there are plenty of up and coming coaches. we’ll be fine

• Dee W.
      11:50 pm July 30, 2014 Permalink

There was no “Tubby decline” – absurd for you to mention him with Gillespie.

4. Bill
    12:48 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

In the NBA, it’s a Dog eat Dog world.
    In college basketball at UK, you get to choose the players you want…EOM……

5. Derp
    2:46 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

Does the entire KSR staff not realize that John Wall is also participating?

6. Gary
    7:24 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

“The stacked roster led UK to redshirt forward Jared Prickett after five games.”

******Prickett was also injured….so wasn’t a hard decision.

7. David Adam
    8:12 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

Re: Coach Cal looking 10 years older. I noticed it too coach! But I also noticed a huge difference after the operation. I think it was his weight! He was getting large. It looks like he dropped at least 10 lbs since the hip replacement and looks a lot better/younger. Glad to see you looking healthier coach! Please don’t leave until we pass UCLA!

• catlogic15
      9:27 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

If Cal is worried about how the job makes him look, then he ought to open a hot dog stand.

• Dee W.
      11:52 pm July 30, 2014 Permalink

He had indeed packed on the pounds – that’s what was making him look older…probably the pain was causing him to lose a lot of sleep, too. Then there’s the fact he has also gotten 6 years older as well…

8. Dubbya
    8:15 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

Can we stop with the three goggles? It’s not even our thing. We were not the first to do it and almost every team does it to celebrate a three. I mean, it would make some since if we were, you know, a three point shooting team, but we’re not. If anything it is a perennial weakness. It just seems lazy to try to sell it as “out thing” instead of come up with something that actually is ours.

• L1C6
      9:14 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

You mad bro? It has become our thing, if you haven’t noticed then open your eyes. So what we weren’t the first and aren’t the only ones to do it, we’re still doing it. It’s just silly fun, the fact that it bothers you so much is ridiculous. Oh and it’s “make some sense” not since.

• Dubbya
      9:46 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

Let me start out by saying that I am EXTREMELY impressed with you spelling skills and ability to nitpick. That being said, my point was it’s lazy. It is like a baseball team claiming The Wave as their thing and selling it as something that only they do, even though every other team does it.

9. CatsFanInBG
    9:07 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

Patrick is still overseas playing ball. He is married, too, with one kid. One of my coworkers is neighbors with his parents and keeps me up to date because Sparks is the reason my favorite number is 22.

• Me
      10:24 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

Patrick has two young sons

10. UKBigDaddy4
    9:38 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

Drew…I’ve been seeing a photo of Dr. Dre wearing a ‘Lexington is for the Birds’ shirt lately. Mostly being shared on social media, but is an obvious photoshop. Does a little brother EVER ‘grow up’ and stop trying to be just like big bro?

11. Them
    10:07 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

Is Ms. Tyler a nom de plume or a real person? You never see a pic.

• UKBigDaddy4
      10:41 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

Mrs. TT has plenty of pics posted throughout the KSR website over the years…ask her to make you a sammich!

12. High Expectations
    10:08 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

I betcha on the back of that kids shirt it reads “40-0”.

13. KevinM
    10:38 am July 30, 2014 Permalink

Some positive vibes from Dino finally…..the most talent he’s seen in 10 years? I like where we are in July.

14. Jesus
    10:19 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

My parents have retired and spend a lot of time travelling to Nicaragua to help with a coffee bean farm and summer camp. Every time they go my dad is sure to bring a few Kentucky shirts and basketballs to leave behind with some of the men and kids he works with. Basketball is actually really big down there.