There’s a lot to talk about (Tuesday Show Thread)

From the KentuckyMBB Instagram page.

From the KentuckyMBB Instagram page.

From the KentuckyMBB Instagram page.

The busy weekend bled over into Monday.  You might think they discussed it all yesterday, but there’s much, much more.  Kentucky plays Mizzou tonight, but I would not be surprised if they spend less than two minutes talking about the game.  What exactly will they discuss?  In the words of Matt Jones: “fireworks.”

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

53 Comments for There’s a lot to talk about (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:01 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Sad to see the article last night; KSR basically inviting all the Briscoe bashers to crawl out of their holes to take a shot at him.
    I see comments that he’s the worst guard in UK history and has no shot in the NBA; I don’t know if he does or not, but you can’t argue with people that do not understand the game.
    I know one thing, he’s the heart and soul of this team; and at crunch time, the other players look to him.
    I know one other thing…I would love to have him back at UK next year.

• Realme
      10:05 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Same. People said all the same garbage about the twins too. Part of our fan base cannot accept that players have bad games, and that some players don’t have #1 pick skills, and they for some reason translate that into calling the player a bad person, hating them. He never fails to give effort, and that’s the only thing I think players deserve (privately) to be criticized for.

• ukjaybrat
      10:06 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

completely agree.
      Not to mention one of the two biggest knocks on briscoe is his shooting. even though he’s a better shooter than Fox. I REALLY don’t understand that one. You want to bash him for turnovers? fine, whatever. A lot of those a garbage calls on the road anyway. It happens. But you can’t bash a kid for something of which he’s not even the biggest culprit on this team. It’s just dumb

• J-Dub421
      10:35 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. People bash Briscoe for baseline turnovers, when most of the time he gets pushed out of bounds by the defender and the refs just let it go. Also he worked really hard over the summer to improve his 3 point and free throw shooting, and both went up rather dramatically and he gets zero credit for it. Plus he always brings effort and toughness, two things our team desperately needs.

• J-Dub421
      10:39 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Briscoe misses when he drives the lane because he gets clobbered and the refs don’t call it.

• RealCatsFan
      11:09 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

J-Dub, same thing used to happen to Poythress – kept getting pushed out of bounds.

2. Realme
    10:13 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

So Cowherd apparently knew he’d have to debate someone with actual facts (that’s ironic where facts are optional) and declined. Shocker.

• runningunnin.454
      10:15 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Squawk, squawk…..chicken.

• I posted this a couple times, but don’t remember if I posted it in the Show Thread yesterday:

Cowherd once said that he told the then newbie talk show host Doug Gottlieb that it is MUCH more important to be interesting than to be right. That’s all you need to know.

Also…don’t.feed.the.troll.

• J-Dub421
      10:37 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Cowherd is a fraud who doesn’t even believe the stupid things he says. He is the worst kind of sell-out.

3. symphonist41169
    10:14 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Dan Issel mattered a helluva lot as a player. Louie Dampier as well.

4. Realme
    10:24 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Well, Matt’s taste in music hasn’t improved.

• J-Dub421
      10:38 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

He’s almost 40, if it hasn’t improved by now it’s not going to.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:30 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

But you can’t debate impact on the NBA, and exclude one of the best coaches in NBA history. Not only did Pat Riley play for the ’72 Laker champions, he coached five NBA champions, several NBA all-star games, and is considered one of the best in NBA history.
    In his playing days, he was considered an ultimate athlete, and it may be a little known fact, but he was also drafted as a wide receiver by the Dallas Cowboys.

6. symphonist41169
    10:31 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

What about Rex Chapman in the NBA?

7. CatFan26
    10:38 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

What was the website or app Matt was talking about where you combine the rock and rap songs?

• Realme
      10:43 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Magic ipod or something like that.

8. J-Dub421
    10:41 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Holy crap talk faster man!

9. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Wow, either this dude is still lit up from last night, or he has hit a few White Russians or Bloody Mary’s for breakfast this morning. 🙂 It’s noon somewhere, right?

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

White Russians? How in the world does anybody drink vodka with milk?

• J-Dub421
      10:50 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

White Russians always make me think of The Big Lebowski.

• runningunnin.454
      11:03 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

I wouldn’t say no to a Bloody Mary, though.

• RealCatsFan
      11:05 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

“I am The Dude, so that’s what you call me, you know? That or, uh, Duder or His Dudeness or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing.”

• RealCatsFan
      11:06 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

“This aggression will not stand, man.”

• RealCatsFan
      11:08 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

What would The Dude say to Donald trump if they met? “Hey, nice marmot.”

• J-Dub421
      11:09 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

I like your style Dude.

I like your style man.

10. bluemoonofkentucky
    10:44 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

B-I-L-L-Y…. B-I-L-L-Y….. B-I-L-L-Y…. He has me hanging with every word…. and never disappoints.

• linebeard
      10:48 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Should have his own segment where listeners can submit stories for Billy to read on air

• Realme
      10:48 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

I used to want to strangle him, but he’s growing on me.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:55 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Oh, well…Briscoe basher…another country heard from.
    When you handle the ball as much as Briscoe does, and he’s trying to make something happen…you will have some TO’s.

• J-Dub421
      11:12 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

He gets bumped and shoved and hacked all the time, and it only gets called maybe half the time.

12. Realme
    11:17 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Matt’s wrong. Robic’s not allowed to coach players in games. I learned this on KSR, or course. I assume he can still talk to Cal about whatever he sees going on.

13. Laker Cat 18
    11:18 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

As of yesterday, Kentucky is now the odd-on favorite to win the title in Vegas at 6-1 odds. Kansas is next at 7-1. Duke, Gonzaga, & UCLA all at 8-1. Thoughts?

• J-Dub421
      11:28 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

I think we have a decent shot to win the title if we play well, and get a little lucky (all teams who win get some luck in their favor). I don’t know that I think we’re the favorite though.

• runningunnin.454
      11:36 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Hate to hear that, I like being the underdog. I’m not sure what they’re watching….we still have some things to iron out…like focus, consistency, and keeping the pedal down.
      I think, though, at win-or go home time, our focus will be much better.

14. runningunnin.454
    11:22 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Not buying the “fragility of life” thing. When Pitino didn’t put a man on Hill in ’92, and I’m screaming….nooooo; did it end his career, nope.

15. That team would go 40-0! Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

16. Realme
    11:31 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Cal makes it very clear that Briscoe has to drive to the basket, and he has to shoot open shots with confidence, or he gets pulled out. I wish Matt would stop accusing him of trying to do things he isn’t able to do. He’s doing what he’s instructed to do, based on what coaches see from him in practice.

17. runningunnin.454
    11:38 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

They have to stop talking about food…..anybody got any pie?

18. runningunnin.454
    11:48 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

Where did the great players go to school….that’s a great argument.
    Julius Erving went to UMass, Earl the Pearl went to Winston-Salem, Elgin Baylor went to Seattle, Jerry West to W. Va., Oscar Robertson to Cincinnati, John Havlicek to Ohio State, Walt Frazier to Southern Illinois….it just goes on and on if Cowherd wants to talk NBA history.

• You are correct, but Cowherd would just say “Don’t bring up players from a hundred years ago!”

• runningunnin.454
      12:04 pm February 21, 2017 Permalink

Probably, so what does he want to talk about…the current NBA picture?
      That just makes him look like a raving lunatic.

• symphonist41169
      12:24 pm February 21, 2017 Permalink

One of the greatest in history was Hal Greer from Marshall but he’s forgotten about today.

19. Give it to Matt: he doesn’t mute a dude’s mic. He just does the Howard Dean scream like he did at the one caller a year or 2 ago. That was hilarious! He should play that scream whenever someone says first time caller instead of doing the Sportsbabe/Al Pacino “Hoo-ah!”