There was a bear sighting last night in Richmond

There has been another bear sighting in Central Kentucky. Last night, a bear was spotted in the Orchard Hills subdivision in Richmond, the second time a bear has been seen in that neighborhood in the past week.

Last week, a bear was spotted roaming UK’s campus in Lexington. Since then, KSR sources have tracked the bear off campus…did it make its way to Richmond? Can bears walk that far in a week? According to Google Maps, the distance between UK’s campus and the Orchard Hills subdivision is approximately 32 miles and would take a human almost 11 hours to walk.

Or, are there multiple bears roaming residential areas in the Bluegrass? Are they plotting to take over now that the pandemic has us all staying inside? Are they hungry and looking for honey? Does this actually happen all of the time and none of us knew or cared because life used to be normal?

I’ve got a lot of questions, but unfortunately, no answers.

6 Comments for There was a bear sighting last night in Richmond

1. bigblue98
    2:00 pm July 8, 2020 Permalink

The bears getting in shape for his walk with Shannon. In another couple weeks he’ll be at 50 miles easily.

2. minton22
    2:06 pm July 8, 2020 Permalink

Here’s my theory: I am a regular at Red River Gorge and the Pinnacles in Berea. I literally travel to one those places every weekend. I normally don’t see many people on the trails. But I also never see bears. They tend to stay away from people and the trails they hike on. Since the pandemic closed these places, wildlife began to explore the trails since the humans were gone. Now that humans are back, they have been scared away from the trails and maybe into a neighborhood or two. The trails have been full of “newby’s” who have no clue what they are doing. Wearing sandles, no water, etc. Not your typical nature respecting crowd. It’s been like a parade on some trails. Bears will go back once things settle.

3. Wildfelinebeeline
    4:06 pm July 8, 2020 Permalink

My cousin Yogi said him and his buddy Booboo were casing the place for a big picnic heist!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door