There could be a big change to James Wiseman’s recruitment

IG: bigticket_j13

IG: bigticket_j13

This could be huge news. James Wiseman told PrepCircuit that he may not wait until April or May to make a final decision, and instead could pop in December or January.

Wiseman’s mom had been persistent that her son wouldn’t rush to a decision and would wait until after the college basketball season to pick a college. She mentioned she wanted Wiseman to see which players would stay and leave for the NBA Draft, and which coaches would hang around for another season.

While Kentucky would take Wiseman yesterday if they could, the idea of waiting to March or April seemed to play into UK’s favor. Memphis is widely considered to be Kentucky’s biggest competition in this recruitment and if Wiseman was going to spurn the hometown school it would make sense to wait to do it. Plus, if Wiseman wanted to pick Memphis it would make most sense to do it as soon as possible to try and help lure other elite talent into the fold.

“I’ve learned that this is a business decision and there won’t be hard feelings,” he told Prep Circuit (read the entire article HERE). “I have to pick the school that is right for me and one where I am going to display my skills and show off my game. I want to represent myself in the greatest fashion and go to a school where I can connect with people, have fun and develop as a player and a person.

“.. I’ve been thinking about it and I think it will probably be around the end of this year or maybe the beginning of next year. It’s a really hard decision so I have to be cautious, but I still make sure to trust the process. I pray every night that I go to the right school. I think it’s going to be soon and not too far down the road.”

Wiseman also told Prep Circuit that two pitches have stood out at this point, UK’s and Florida State and really raved about Kentucky, John Calipari and former UK bigs. Again, read the entire article because this was a nice report from Prep Circuit.

Those quotes read well for UK and I don’t think the December or January decision really points towards one school or another, but shows Wiseman is seemingly ready to get his recruitment over with sooner rather than later.

I can’t say that I blame him.

One could make the case that maybe this helps Memphis’ chances because if he were to pick a school besides Memphis in December or January the fans in the area wouldn’t as kind as they have been over the last year. But are grown adults really going to go to a high school game and boo Wiseman? If so, they are losers and hopefully there are videos so we can laugh.

Wiseman still has visits planned for Vanderbilt (Oct. 14-16th), Memphis (19-21st) and Florida State (25th-27th) and then that will finish his official visit tour. His first official was to Kentucky last month and this past weekend he checked out Kansas’ campus.

I’m still rolling with Kentucky but this is an interesting development. Even if I’m wrong and Wiseman goes elsewhere, it will give UK more time to look at other bigs/options rather than if they missed in April.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by TJ Walker

21 Comments for There could be a big change to James Wiseman’s recruitment

1. A_Blue_Wildcat
    7:09 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

He’s going to Memphis. Quit getting people’s hopes up for views, this is the most clear decision of this class.

• UKNUTZ
      11:34 am October 6, 2018 Permalink

I think UK offering these other big men lately might have him thinking that he needs to pull the trigger to go to UK before there isn’t a spot on the roster for him anymore.

2. timtim1960
    7:16 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Memphis is where he going . Write it down

3. sj
    7:23 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Malik Monk committed before his senior year and thrived off the harassment, I think he chooses UK

4. zoupman
    7:26 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Give it a break. Kid is going to Memphis. Next.

5. timtim1960
    7:26 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

These kids always string ky along only to pull the rug out in the end .

6. BlueByYou
    7:34 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

HUH? What world are you living in. Very few we wanted and did not get. The only ones that ‘strung us along’ we did pretty well without. Can’t win them all, but I think we will be OK. Give me a guy that wants to be here. We’ve always been fine and we will be going forward. We all worry about this and Cal always come through. What…me worry??? Naaaah!

7. timtim1960
    7:41 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

I’m not saying uk can’t get along with missing out on a few . But al I’m saying is that it’s a game with a lot of these kids just liking the attention and making free visits. Remember UCLA getting that guy back when Noel came . And 2 year ago with Duke and the big guy who strung ky along I’m sure that there were others I forgot about.

• ukkatzfan
      8:18 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Others you forgot about ? Don’t sound like you are remembering those very well. You give the name a bad name.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      9:18 am October 5, 2018 Permalink

If you remember neither of those lived up to expectations, Shabazz was horribly selfish and Bolden has been riding the pine and contributed little, so two bullets dodged.

8. Bigblue7982
    7:53 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

I’m leaning towards him going to Memphis but wouldn’t surprise me if cal gets him.

9. Wade
    8:01 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Mom wants uk

• ukkatzfan
      8:19 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Whats your dad saying about your mom wanting uk ?

10. michaelb
    8:01 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Blah blah blah

11. 1stkatman
    8:49 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

I think that his comments favor UK over everyone else. Plus, I think the ones he’d prefer off of his back are all the locals that don’t truly have his best interests at heart. If he picks UK then he would find out who his loyalists truly are. Hence, his weeded out posse gets real and playing with the Cats assures he’ll be a millionaire in less than 18 months from his decision date.
    Mama will steer said posse.

12. N-UR-i
    8:55 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Maybe Benny Snell and Josh Allen can talk to him.

13. So you’re saying there’s a chance?

14. Memphis UK Cat
    10:50 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Penny is making noise here and I like him and one heck of a golfer. I don’t know. He would be a hometown hero here in Memphis but I want him at UK. I think MEMPHIS has the edge

15. Han
    11:08 pm October 4, 2018 Permalink

Doesn’t matter who he picks, Penny’s gonna keep recruiting him if it isn’t Memphis.

16. snarkster
    2:39 am October 5, 2018 Permalink

If it truly is mainly a “business decision — Boogie, Towns, AD — ‘Nuff said.