The Very Cool Crowd Version of the National Anthem Yesterday

Yesterday had a great moment in Rupp Arena that many missed not in attendance, as the crowd sang the national anthem before the start of play. It was haunting and very cool in person and the video showcases it above. A great start to a great day.

Article written by Matt Jones

18 Comments for The Very Cool Crowd Version of the National Anthem Yesterday

1. here ya go
    7:34 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

goosebumps

2. shane
    7:38 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

That was great! Gave me goosebumps listening at home. Cant imagine how it was at Rupp

3. goose
    7:40 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

I was in the Upper level.. and the crowd just took over.. I looked over at my buddy and he didnt even realize the singer had stopped singing and it was BBN.. it was special.. very special.

4. Teachable Mo'
    7:40 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

I surprised my wife a couple of weeks ago by my boast that I could sing the National Anthem — I’ve a grumbling bass that can just manage the octave and a half of the song if I start low enough. What that note might be is a mystery since I’m also usually tone deaf. Singing anything at all is a matter of guesswork.

“You didn’t stop.” she marveled in either amazement or exasperation.

5. Be oscars
    7:41 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Great🇺🇸🇺🇸

6. Average uk fan
    7:47 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

That should become a bi-yearly tradition every time uk/ul meet up in the arena or on the field. Make it a tradition/trademark if u will. Set the bar. Gave me chills

• C....A.....T......S......CATS!
      10:01 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Average UK FAN…

AGREE with you 100%, and thank you Matt Jones for posting this so all of us who were NOT IN ATTENDANCE could experience it: one of your best acts this year.

On…On….U of K!

7. Doug
    7:52 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone know where I can watch a replay of the game?

8. UKcats50
    7:56 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

This happened in 2011-12 also. Pretty cool moment with my Dad.

• TylerK
      9:52 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

I was about to say. Does no one remember that this happened the last UK-UL game in Rupp? I’ve been to the last 2 UK-UL games in Rupp, the UNC game with Davis’ block, and the Mizzo game last year and these two moments listening to 24,000 sing our nations anthem really transcends above the rest. very cool tradition we need to keep up.

9. Mike
    7:58 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

He did the same thing last year and I thought it was great then and was great this time also. I had the privilege of being in Rupp both times. People were so pumped after the national anthem it was amazing. I have had season tickets for 10 years and yesterday was the best crowd I have ever witnessed. Go cats!!!!!

10. 2mites
    8:08 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Totally awesome. Over 20000 voices singing the anthem of the greatest nation ever to be on God’s creation and one so Blessed by Him.

11. Ruppeat Offender
    8:52 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

I got to go to the game yesterday and the National Anthem gave me chills. It was a very cool thing for the singer to hand it over to the crowd.

12. WildcatfanMike
    9:29 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

It was a very touching moment in Rupp. They should do more often.

13. tdoug
    10:52 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

I loved it. They should do it for every game. It would be a tradition that is unique and distinctive. It contributed to getting the crowd into the game as well.

14. Big Blue
    5:10 am December 30, 2013 Permalink

Do Card fans even know all the words to the National Anthem?

15. Wing-nut
    7:21 am December 30, 2013 Permalink

This is why, “We Are College Basketball”.