The U.S. Open’s Tuesday News and Views

Good evening, KSR readers and those of you trolling us from other fan bases, and welcome to KSR’s first News and Views written in the cafeteria of the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. That’s where I’m currently posted up, between NYPD officers and tennis nerds, writing on the newly-renovated KentuckySportsRadio.com. This is only my second post since the site redesign went public and, I have to admit, I like what I see but I’m still not used to it yet. I jumped back when I loaded the page earlier today to read the Stoops quotes, expecting to see the gray and yellow of yesteryear. But now, it’s blue!

So tonight, as I sit here in Flushing Meadows, we pay tribute to the tournament that we’re here to see: the 2013 U.S. Open. As Matt mentioned earlier in his notes, he and I are here with Tennis Channel to provide its website readers and television viewers with Grand Slam tennis coverage in the most ridiculous manner possible. And ridiculous it is, because, between you and me, I don’t know much about tennis. I do know, however, that this is the biggest tennis stage in America and we’re very excited to be here from start to almost finish.

The tournament draw is already set up for an action-packed two weeks for us with Ivo Karlovic, our favorite tennis player, set to play James Blake in the first round. Blake announced Monday morning that he’ll retire following the tournament, so we’ll be the only two Ivo fans in attendance, hoping to see him serve the American home for the final time. There is also potential for a Nadal-Federer quarterfinal the night before we fly back to Kentucky for Calipari’s fantasy camp, and a long list of celebrities expected to attend for us to badger in the elevators and suites.

Check out our tennis website (TheOuterCourts.com) if you’re into that kind of thing, and if not, join me in counting down to the first game of the Mark Stoops era below…

Stoop-a-loop held his first official game week press conference on Monday, where he told reporters that the staff has selected its quarterback for the first game. So who is it, you ask? Well, you have to wait until Saturday night to find out. Though the decision is made, Stoops said we won’t know until game time; he hasn’t even told the players yet. However he still plans to use both guys, but if the first one up is rolling out of the gate, they’ll stick with him until a change is necessary.

For what it’s worth, a trusted source told KSR that Jalen Whitlow is the starter. He has been the popular pick since his impressive showing in the open practice at Fan Day a few weeks ago, so it’s no surprise to hear it now in the final days leading up to the game.

Stoops also had a few words to say about Bobby Petrino, the coach he’ll stand across from Saturday night and the man many wanted to see in his spot. The two have never met on the field or off it, but Stoops was complimentary of his opponent, calling him a great play caller and a very good offensive mind. He said Petrino understands what opposing teams are doing so it’s important to mix things up throughout the game.

The depth chart for the WKU game was released Monday morning and the returning players held their own in the position battles, for the most part. Javess Blue moved into a starting role over A.J. Legree and Ryan Timmons could see the field over Daryl Collins, but other than that, we’re going to see a lot of the same names on the field to start the game. Some will have to really perform to keep their spots, though, as the newcomers will only improve as the year progresses. JUCO transfer Nate Willis will likely make a push to take a spot from Tiller or Quinn once he catches up from his late arrival, and sophomore Daron Blaylock will be ready to step in if Eric Dixon ever slips up at strong safety. Senior tight end Jordan Aumiller will need to play well to stay ahead of Anthony Kendrick at tight end, too.

The line for the game is up to -5 on some offshore gambling sites. If you’re going to get in on the action, you may want to hurry because it’s only going to climb higher as the game gets closer. Remember, KSR doesn’t condone gambling, although I’m betting my entire existence on it. I believe Kentucky will win by at least a touchdown.

Tuesday could be a big day for Kentucky’s 2014 football recruiting class when Blake Bone announces his college decision. Bone plans to hold a press conference at his school around noon and then tweet his decision out to the worldwide web. Bone, a four-star wide receiver from South Carolina, is considering Kentucky, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Louisville and Georgia Tech, and Kentucky is the presumed favorite heading into the big day. At 6-foot-5, he would make a great addition to Kentucky’s receiving corps that lacks height for next season. UK needs a receiver the quarterback can just throw it up to and let him make the play. Bone could be that guy and I know Barker would love to have him as a weapon in the passing game.

In non-UK college basketball news, Florida State’s Xavier Rathan-Mayes was ruled ineligible for the upcoming season on Monday. The former Huntington Prep star and teammate of Andrew Wiggins was deemed ineligible due to coursework he took in high school and CBSSports.com is hearing it’s a full year of credits at Christian Faith Center Academy in North Carolina that cost him his eligibility. The school was under investigation early this year after a group of Canadian prep stars claimed Ro Russell, a controversial AAU coach, made up documents for them to enter the U.S. and enrolled them in classes he knew the NCAA wouldn’t accept. Andrew Wiggins also attended the make-believe school for a semester, FYI.

Myles Turner is now reconsidering SMU after Mudiay’s commitment and may use one of his five officials visits on the school. I guess it’s that divinity school and George H. Bush library, right, radio listeners? There is some pro-UK Turner talk from Monday, though… In a teaser for Turner’s next USA Today blog entry, Jason Jordan tweeted this quote from Turner: “I like how Coach Cal handles me. He told me from day one ‘I’m not gonna call you everyday.”

It reminds me of ESPN All-Access when Calipari said he tells recruits, “If you want me to call you every week, I will. But you’re 17 and I’m 50ish, what are we gonna talk about?”

Stanley Johnson and Justise Winslow have jumped on board the package deal train and are now flirting with the idea of playing together in college. Johnson told Adam Zagoria, “We got a couple of similar schools on our lists and I think together we can do something real special in college. Me and him think similarly so me and him are really talking about it, trying to get a decision done. It’s all about how the college feels about it. We want to do it, we’re committed to each other. As long as the college is OK with it and they’re seeing it the way we’re seeing it, then we can make it happen. But if it doesn’t happen that way, then we’re not going to do it.”

Kentucky didn’t make Winslow’s list when he trimmed it to 10 last month, but that was before he received an offer from UK at the Nike Peach Jam. Johnson has been a priority for Calipari for awhile and he plans to visit in October for Big Blue Madness. It’d be nice to get Winslow on campus with him that weekend.

The results are in from the Secretary of State Mock Election!

results

Vanetti, WOW.

That’ll do it for tonight. Join us for more on Tuesday as we continue to look ahead to season opener on Saturday.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

34 Comments for The U.S. Open’s Tuesday News and Views

1. Trollin for Clicks
    11:14 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Package deal could happen but I rarely believe anything someone says to Zags or anything he says to someone else.

2. Rei
    11:32 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

I would love to see that attention seeker Wiggins ruled ineligible.

3. Perry Ellis
    11:42 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

I am WAY past over all of this tennis crap. Enough already! I do not appreciate your trying to use the fans from a UK site (who care absolutely nothing about tennis) to make a fast buck for yourself on some tennis blog. It’s gauche, truly.

4. Matt Jones
    12:25 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

#3 do me a favor and leave me your phone number. I want to make sure next time I do anything, I check with you first to make sure it is ok.

And I am sorry for what a pain these occasional paragraphs about our writings must be for you to scroll past. We really do apologize, especially since we have charged you so much to read it

5. Agassi's Drawers
    12:37 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

The tennis love is curious. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

6. Blake
    1:10 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

Matt you just clowned #3. On a side note, I don’t think the NCAA would touch wiggins just because of his predetermined superstar status.. BUT IT WOULD BE SUCH A SHAME FOR THAT PROLONGED RECRUITING PROCESS TO GO TO WASTE *COUGH*

7. Bobby Riggs
    1:15 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

Matt, relax…
    Jeez…
    Check out my story on ESPN.
    I was a stud

8. soggyUKgrad
    1:45 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

where are you guys getting that Wiggins’ eligibility is under question? Also, I love that Matt scolded the moron @ #3…I am so tired of idiots complaining about a site that gives us daily insights into UK sports for FREE!!!!! If you don’t like what KSR is posting, go back to getting your UK news from the Herald-Leader.

9. Cat fan in your ear...
    2:25 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

Matt and Drew, I completely disagree with #3. The US Open tennis tournament is the LARGEST annual single venue sporting event in the world by fan attendance. I really enjoy reading about Matt an Drew’s interactions with the international tennis circuit. Keep up the great work KSR!

10. Matt Jones
    2:29 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

Our adventure in NYC continues. Drew has not come out of the men’s bathroom at out hotel for three hours. I don’t know what he could be doing there.
    Kevin Ware has been dismissed from the team for the third time and promptly reinstated.
    To confuse Bobby Petrino even more, Mark Stoops will name a starting quarterback after the Western game.

11. Johnny Pittman
    4:51 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

MJ. You get it. Congrats on your successes and I look forward to reading more about UK and the Flushing Meadows spectacle. Make sure to count the number of toes on Linda Cohn – if she’s there and don’t forget that the US Open is our country’s event so you can be the rude American.

12. Ridge Runner
    5:04 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

Hey Drew, tennis I hear ya. In fact, I am in Fairfax VA and last night I sat out front of my hotel (here on company business and wanted to get some air) and watched 2 George Mason college girls volley back and forth (cough…cough….hmmm) anyway, where was I? Oh yeah…-so I collected some tennis-watching too as the court was just outside the hotel parking lot. Yeah…it was cool. The girls…they…well….oh nevermind.

Oh yes…this new design is awesome. But is it me or does anyone else still get it up online and for a few seconds go umm…. “ok, uh…what do I do?” heh? Alright, I’m slow at times but I absolutely love it!

13. Taruhan Bola
    5:58 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

obviously like your web site but you have to take a look at the
    spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife
    with spelling problems and I in finding it very bothersome to tell the truth
    on the other hand I will surely come back again.

14. Ridge Runner
    6:16 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

Taruhan….. really? … I mean…. really? Of all the things you could comment on. This is a informal-blog for goodness sakes.

15. The Fridge
    6:18 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

Matt reported I was dead in his radio show. What a [email protected]

16. Gang Bangers
    6:20 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

Interesting: “One of the Harrison twins started taking swings at a teammate in their game tonight. The teammate (#23) started whooping up on Harrison #1, so Harrison #2 came off the bench to help his twin out. All 3 players were ejected and Travis HS had to forfeit the game.”

17. UK_JB
    6:24 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

So how many times did Joann vote? We can say she didn’t vote for Tony Vanillia.

18. tuxedo park
    7:28 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

Speak for yourself, #3. I just can’t wait for the inevitable Cricket posts!

19. Hard Hittin' CAT
    8:19 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

So tired of coming to KSR and seeing Tennis crap. Am I missing some UK connection?

20. Some Guy in Kentucky
    8:29 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

That poll was taken in Louisville also.

21. Big Boots
    8:35 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

Tom Leach all the way! Not even close!

22. wku sucks
    8:48 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

Holy $hite could you imagine if wiggins was ruled ineligible, this will be an interesting story to follow. Lawrence KS will be on suicide watch. Also I agree, I would rather Matt & Drew be following the football team than stupid tennis…. but I’m still getting UK updates and dont have to listen to vanetti, so I can live with it. I just skip over any post that mentions anything tennis that doesn’t have a UK in front of it.

23. Bill
    8:52 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

Where’s the Bill Keightley report since the new website has gone live?

24. CATS
    8:58 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

More liberal political plugs from ksr… Love the updates–the politics not so much. I guess that is the cost of admission. Oh Well–we agree to disagree… GO BIG BLUE!!!

25. Stan
    8:58 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

Great job with the US Open and Outer Courts. Thanks for expanding your subject matter.

26. Dick Johnson
    9:01 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

Matt,
    Great interview with Alison Grimes.
    Looks like I will have to hold my nose and vote for Mitch McConnell

27. kes
    9:05 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

26. its people like you that are EXACTLY what is wrong with the process. vote for someone who has been there for years and is totally useless instead of giving new blood a chance. good job!

28. Beatle Bum
    10:03 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

Both Grimes and McConnell have something in common. They both only desire to be and have been groomed to be politicians. How attractive is that?

29. Randy Barker
    10:53 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

We now know what Kentucky Democrats think about sports in Kentucky.
    Who else would be on Alison Grimes’ website? And who else but Matt Jones
    would take every opportunity to advance his progressive Neo-Com agenda?
    Or promote a poll that rates him more popular than Tom Leach. Get Real !!!
    As to the tennis coverage of the Limousine Liberals in New York, I equate it to
    WLAP’s Mark Berger who every Sunday morning bores us to death with soccer.
    But I will keep listening to both because among the attempted indocrination we also
    get news of UK.

And hopefully, as Matt gets older, he will take heed of what Winston Churchill
    once said:
    “If you are not a liberal at 20, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative at 40,
    you have no brain.”

30. Linda Taylor
    12:45 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

29 – You don’t even know what you are talking about. That poll was conducted at the State Fair, not on Grime’s website. But since it was conducted by the state, she was the designated person to oversee it and called into the show to tell Matt the results. He then asked her to send him a copy of the results. This was not a political poll it was a fun sports poll to see who and which team were the most popular at the fair. Congratulations you have demonstrated your lack of a brain very proficiently.

31. What J S Mill Once Said
    1:53 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

‘Not all conservatives are stupid, but most stupid people are conservative,’

32. BS Artist
    4:01 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

FYI:
    Wiggins spent a few months at Christian Faith Center Academy, but it was as an eighth-grader. He’s already been cleared.

33. Tampa Satchel
    5:32 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

As a former competitive tennis player I have enjoyed your posts on The Outer Courts and here. Good for you. Keep up the good work.

34. johnny green
    6:04 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

you should leave politics off your web site. keep it sports related.