The transfer portal swallowed Florida’s best new recruit

The top recruit in Florida’s ninth-ranked 2019 recruiting class is already getting out of Gainesville before ever playing a down in a Gators uniform.

Chris Steele, a top-50 prospect in Dan Mullen’s most recent signing class, entered the NCAA’s transfer portal this week. Steele enrolled at Florida in January to get a jump on his first season, but is already leaving town only five months into his stay.

According to The Gainesville Sun, Steele had requested a new roommate because the one he had made him uncomfortable:

The decision stems from a request Steele made to the staff during his first month on campus, the source said. He asked to be moved to a different dorm because he was uncomfortable rooming with quarterback Jalon Jones, his classmate.

The staff did not plan to move Steele until the summer, which upset Steele and his parents, according to the source.

Then two female students accused Jones of sexual assault in the players’ dorm rooms on April 6. That prompted Steele to seek a transfer.

Jones has not been charged but has left the school. [Gainesville Sun]

Steele did not have an offer from Kentucky during his recruitment, but it wouldn’t hurt to give a call because he is a cornerback and UK is desperate for those. The 247Sports Composite had him as the fifth-best corner in his class and Florida expected him to contribute in its secondary right away.

I assume he will seek immediate eligibility after participating in only the 15 spring game practices.

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for The transfer portal swallowed Florida’s best new recruit

1. Bluebloodtoo
    1:38 pm May 9, 2019 Permalink

Not really many details here, but this seems rather odd. Getting a new roommate is worth transferring? Seems like there is more than meets the eye going on here.

• StillBP
      1:48 pm May 9, 2019 Permalink

getting a new roommate is not why he transferred. He wanted a new roommate all along (from what I take from the above story) and they weren’t moving him until summer, so he was upset about that. Obviously there has to be more to it. But seeing as though the roommate he wanted to get away from was later accused of sexual assault, I’d say he likely had good reason to be uncomfortable rooming with him.

2. ClutchCargo
    1:46 pm May 9, 2019 Permalink

Hard pass on this guy. He seems like a locker room cancer just waiting to happen. We are way past having to put up with that just to have a decent level of talent on the field.

• StillBP
      1:50 pm May 9, 2019 Permalink

what am I missing here? He was rooming with someone who was (later) accused of sexual assault. That might lead me to believe he knew the roommate was up to no good. Why is it wrong that he didn’t want to room with him? What makes this guy sound cancerous?

• ClutchCargo
      3:48 pm May 9, 2019 Permalink

Doh! I went back and read the story again. I completely missed that it was the roommate and not Steele that was accused of sexual assault. Sometimes I hate that we can’t delete comments!

• ClutchCargo
      3:53 pm May 9, 2019 Permalink

And no, this was not my attempt to observe Unpopular Opinion Day. lol

• StillBP
      4:15 pm May 9, 2019 Permalink

It happens, clutch. I know you’re usually level headed on here so I was confused like there may be something I missed by not clicking on any links.

• notFromhere
      5:15 pm May 10, 2019 Permalink

Was wondering when i saw your post, but knew you would post if you had misread it. Being able to admit when youre wrong or make a mistake is def part of your character

3. 1stkatman
    4:23 pm May 9, 2019 Permalink

I have my doubts that Steele will want to go where he will have UF on the schedule.

• mashburnfan1
      10:11 pm May 9, 2019 Permalink

I would think the opposite. He would want to show them what they are missing, in person. Is a major position of need so UK needs to be in on this kid.

• UKWildcatNation
      3:18 am May 10, 2019 Permalink

Agree with Mash here

4. notFromhere
    5:01 pm May 10, 2019 Permalink

I dont see how this guy is a cancer. Sounds like he didnt like the culture in Florida that brings in people like his roommate. Yall not seeing a pattern with that? Winston, Jones, and others just dont seem to respect women