The Sugar Bowl’s Friday News and Views

I assume we’re all watching the Sugar Bowl, so let’s go ahead and dedicate the News and Views to it, too. Right now it’s halfway through the third quarter and Alabama just scored a touchdown to cut it down to a one possession game. Oklahoma, a 16.5-point underdog at kickoff, is shocking college football by even being in the game right now; and the Sooners aren’t only in it, they’re winning.

Mark Stoops is on the OU sideline with his brother Bob so we’re giving him all the credit for the good defense. But even with Stoops involved, this guy right here is pulling for Alabama. SEC all day, everyday.

Let’s get to the goods here on KSR so we can focus on the goods on TV before it’s over. And, yes, I’m talking about the crowd shots of Katherine Webb.

Anyone else Rolling Tide with me?

*****

The Glenville Trio was all the talk on Thursday.

Three highly-touted football prospects from Glenville High School in Cleveland are making quite a bit of noise around the Army All-American Bowl down in San Antonio this week. One is currently committed to Ohio State; the other two were expected to join him Saturday; but now all bets are off.

Marcelys Jones, the name we’re most familiar with, is the committed player but he’s also the most likely to flip to Kentucky. An offensive guard in the Top247, Jones has flirted with Kentucky for awhile and he is close to finally making the jump from Ohio State to UK. He could commit to the Cats as early as this weekend.

The rumors of Jones’ wavering have been rampant for a month or so, but Ohio State fans shrugged them off, reminding everyone that Jones signed his financial aid agreement back in November and plans to enroll early for the spring semester. That is true, but it doesn’t tell the whole story. A source told KSR on Thursday that Jones also signed a financial agreement with UK, meaning he could just as easily enroll at Kentucky for the spring semester. Boom.

Jones’ Glenville teammates, safety Erick Smith and cornerback Marshon Lattimore, are also having second thoughts about Ohio State and Kentucky has entered the picture for Smith. He had originally planned to announce his decision during Saturday’s game, but he canceled the announcement on Thursday and said he will take his official visits before making the decision.

After admitting to not being so sure about his decision, Lattimore tweeted he will follow through with his announcement Saturday. He also tweeted, “People is going to be surprised by me and Erick decision.”

Lattimore’s interest in UK is not believed to be high, but his comments and the comments from his teammates suggest the Glenville Trio is splitting up.

Four-star Miami commit will visit Kentucky over Alabama.

Travonte Valentine committed to The U last May but a new friendship with Drew Barker, Matt Elam and Marcelys Jones and a phone call with the UK coaching staff has him interested in Kentucky late in the process. The 56th ranked player in 247Sports.com’s Top247, Valentine spoke with several UK coaches via phone Wednesday night and they talked to him about being a package deal with Elam and Jones.

In an interview Thursday afternoon, Valentine told 247, “I liked Kentucky for a minute. I had to go through the defense and the basics and stuff like that but other than that Kentucky’s been coming in strong right now. Last night I was shocked to hear from Kentucky.”

The defensive tackle announced on Twitter late Thursday night that he has canceled his official visit to Alabama on January 24 and will visit Kentucky instead.

Stoops.

Six UK football commits in Friday’s Offense-Defense All-American game.

“Boom” Williams, Thaddeus Snodgrass, Adrian Middleton, Blake Bone, Kobie Walker, and Nick Richardson will participate in the Offense-Defense All-American game in Orlando on Friday. Also known as the O-D Bowl, the game’s name confuses me but I do know it will stream live on the internet at 5:00 p.m.

Cam Newton and Dez Bryant played in it so it must be legit.

Joker Phillips’ godson used a baby to pick the “University of LSU” over Florida.

It’s all there in Jamal Adams’ Thursday announcement at the Under Armour All-American game.

Adams said he hopes Joker is doing well. I doubt he is, considering his godson just committed to another SEC school over the one where he is an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator.

Congrats to the University of Louisiana State University, though.

Bud Dupree and Avery Williamson named Second Team All-SEC by Phil Steele.

Williamson was UK’s leading tackler in 2013 for the second consecutive season, totaling 102 tackles to rank tied for fourth in the SEC. The senior also had four tackles for loss, one sack, three quarterback hurries and two fumble recoveries.

Dupree led all SEC defensive linemen with 61 tackles in 2013 and finished the season with a team-best seven sacks, ranking sixth in the conference and 40th in the nation.

Congrats to both guys. It’ll be nice having Bud back for another season.

UK Hoops moved to 1-0 in SEC play with a Thursday afternoon win at Bama.

Kentucky Wildcats TV has the highlights from the 85-63 win:

Vote for Jack Demsey’s in ESPN.com’s NYC Bar Bracket.

Our good friends at Jack Demsey’s, the official bar for Cats fans in New York City, is in ESPN.com’s NYC Bar Bracket. Take a second to vote (it literally takes one second) and hopefully it’ll win the whole thing so we can brag about Kentucky having the best sports bar in New York City. Wouldn’t that be nice?

Vote here.

Have your voice heard in the Rupp Arena renovation plans.

Mayor Jim Gray announced two new ways Kentucky basketball fans can join the process:

(1) There will be a public meeting at the Hyatt Regency Ballroom prior to the Mississippi State game next Wednesday at 4:00 p.m. Stop by before the game or follow along via the event’s live-stream.

(2) Take the new fan experience survey at RuppDistrict.com. Click here to take the survey to rate the current conditions of Rupp Arena and give suggestions for improvement.

Oscar Combs and 247Sports’ Chris Fisher on KSR tomorrow.

Ryan Lemond will be back hosting KSR for a second consecutive show Friday morning with two new guest co-hosts. Recruiting expert Chris Fisher from 247Sports will join him in the first hour to discuss the latest from the Army All-American Bowl, then Oscar Combs will stop in at 11:00 to talk UK basketball.

If you missed Thursday’s show with Darrin Horn, you can listen to the podcast at TalkRadio1080.com.

Go Cats, everybody.

Article written by Drew Franklin

40 Comments for The Sugar Bowl’s Friday News and Views

1. Chicken
    11:18 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

The recruiting news is great, however, if Kentucky football has taught me anything, it’s not to get your hopes up. I will be pleasantly surprised if any of these guys commit.

2. Do whut?
    11:21 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Great. More Joker news. Louisville’s news day must be slow.

• Drew Franklin
      11:23 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Great. More people complaining on the internet.

• Brian
      11:46 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

So, #2, its safe to say that you check to troll this site every 10 minutes or so? (Posted 11:13, you commented 8 minutes later.) What a loser…. Wow.

• Geezus
      1:22 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

Do “whut”: (I can’t believe I have to explain this, but…) NEWSFLASH!! Joker is a former UK head coach and UL is our hated rival. Get over yourself.

• Do whut?
      1:33 pm January 3, 2014 Permalink

Drew must have been going for ironic since his statement is what it describes. As for Brian it certainly isn’t possible that I happened to check the site moments after the post by chance. Nah, probably not. And geezus Joker certainly is our former coach. Keyword “former”. Not only is Joker an alumnus and former player but he also spent much of his adult life in support of the football program so forgive me if I think it’s nothing more than childish sour grapes to continue to run the man down as if he actually planned on weakening the program. So Drew and Brian based in the article’s tenor about a really good guy exactly who is doing the trolling?

3. Buckets
    11:32 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Stoops!

4. Plenty
    11:38 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Jamal’s dad played for UK, George Adams. Also played for the cowboys. I grew up with his brothers, all awesome people, and good athletes. Kid is gonna be good.

5. Chicago Manny
    11:45 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

It’s January and not one UK basketball mention. I really believe that Stoops is gonna turn this thing around. Just need more talent, which somehow we are getting.

6. Wow
    12:26 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

Dey s’posed to be SEC

7. Wow
    12:28 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

*Andrew Jackson voice*

8. Bizzaro World
    12:29 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

It’s funny- when it comes to football, all we hear is “man we just gotta get more talent to succeed!” Yet in basketball we get (sometimes from the same people) “man we get too many of these talented guys who only stay for one year to be consistantly successful!”

9. budsrite
    12:29 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

The Stoops family is representing tonight!!!!!!!!

10. Chaz
    1:21 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

Mark Stoop never sleeps. He’s always up.I am too, but I don’t coach major college football. Congratulations to Oklahoma. Well done.

11. Hank
    1:48 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

The good thing about Bama losing is we won’t get to hear from those frauds who are UK Basketball fans bust “just happen to also be Bama football fans” (jumped on the bandwagon after Saban won his 2nd title at Bama). Stop mooching off Bama’s success in football and either support the school that you root for in football, or don’t root for anyone.

12. Louisville1Cal5
    2:31 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

Some how I knew that girls reaction would be a gif on KSR immediately when I saw it live lol

• schwing
      11:18 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

because it’s a hot asian chick you want to unload on?

13. Vonnecut1900
    2:31 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

I can’t agree with you, Drew. Rooting for “SEC football” is really one of the more embarrassing aspects of the sycophantic portion of our fan-base.

Do UNC/Duke root for “ACC football” when FSU plays in a BCS matchl? No.
    Does FSU root for “ACC basketball” when Duke or UNC plays in the tournament? No.
    Does Alabama root for “SEC basketball” when UK plays in the tournament? No.
    But a segment of BBN does root for “SEC football” when Bama plays in the championship. Meanwhile, Bama fans are just rolling their eyes.

• jpg
      2:57 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

I am glad I can not sleep, because you are wrong! I am a UK fan, and a UK fan only. Do I like seeing the SEC do well? Yes!!! Why? Because it shows the strength of our conference, and makes young kids want to come and play in said conference. What do you think one of the biggest attractions for recruits is toward UK?

I do not know a single UK fan that is a Bama fan by heart (Bama first). If you think only UK has some portion of it’s fan-base root for Bama or some other teams in the SEC, you are wrong. Other fan-bases want to see their conference do well in bowl games.

With that said, I was rooting for OU tonight. Any Stoops news is good news when it comes to recruiting. Tomorrow for instance, I will be going for FSU. I am not a fan, but realize that coach Stoops built that defense, and it only helps UK if it succeeds.

Go Cats!!!

• SEC
      9:40 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

I think what you are missing is the fact you stated a section of BBN does root for “SEC football” when Bama plays in the Championship and that is incorrect statement. I’ve lived all over the south and take out a couple rivals out of Alabama and Tennessee (because Tennessee hates everyone and everyone hates Tennessee that’s what happens when you think you’re better than you are and expect everyone else to be delusional as well) and a large portion of SEC fans pull for the SEC teams in bowl games, big games and the tournament. That would be why people chant S-E-C. It’s a display of the pride of the conference. ACC football is mediocre at best with a few once and I cannot tell you why the ACC doesn’t pull for each other. And enjoying watching another team is called enjoying a sport or a tie that you have. How does me pulling for the Colts to win become any different than your argument because I’m a Dolphins fan because that’s where I lived and my first pro games?

14. Ha!
    6:06 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

Uk football – Awesome by Association! Coming to a billboard near you.

• Dolla Billz
      9:54 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

More like rich by association

15. BravoBigBlue
    6:26 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

Amusing how some fans and even KSR want to “dictate” to others who they should cheer for or against. They want everybody to be sheeple. Sorry, I ain’t no sheep. Kentucky football sucks. What’s to cheer for? SEC football is the best, year in and year out. I will be pulling for Auburn on Monday night. Is that ok with everybody?

• Vonnecut1900
      6:36 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

Sure — just know you’re no better than a Miami Heat or Boston Red Sox band-wagoner. Unless you have a legit link to another school or fanbase (and being in the the same conference isn’t one), it’s UK or bust for a true fan.

• SEC
      9:42 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

You can’t enjoy a football game? The line is drawn when you’re out buying another teams gear and running around with it on. Merely pulling for another team to win a game is not jumping on a bandwagon. I find it hard to believe that you watch any games other than your own teams and have never thought or said come on in the hopes one or the other would win.

16. Billy Ray
    6:48 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

Call me an optimist, but I think we can win 3 or possibly 4 games next year.

• L1C5
      9:55 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

I agree. The last game of the season is a win for sure.

17. BravoBigBlue
    6:51 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

No, not a Heat or Red Sox fan. Actually, a Braves fan, through thick and thin. Truth is, Kentucky football doesn’t deserve my support. Baaaaaaaaaa, sheeple!

• Wagon Wheel
      9:28 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

Ha I could tell from your first comment about UK football having nothing to cheer for that you were a band wagon type fan. Then you confirm it by saying your a Braves fan through thick and thin. Thats the biggest bandwagon team in KY. It mustve been real hard following the Braves that one year they didnt make the playoffs in the last 20 years. I have a funny feeling your a Steelers fan too.

• Hater
      9:51 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

Well, since you know this guy inside and out, everywhere he lived and how he was raised. Has to be a total band wagon fan… I mean I must be too because I’m a Dolphins, Heat, Panthers and Marlins fan. Or wait, I lived in South Florida and those were the teams I grew up watching and going to first and my family has moved back here but, you have to be band wagon I mean god forbid you don’t pull for one of our great and proud Kentucky pro teams.

18. Hoppyum IPA 7.2%
    7:29 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

Drew obsessing over 17 year olds again… UK has won 4 games in 2 years, you think a couple kids are going to save that dumpster fire?

• Jarvis Redwine
      7:37 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

“Trollsome” Prison Blues! Take your tripe elsewhere.

• RealCatsFan
      7:49 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

It’s a dumpster fire that Joker started for us, before he went down to UF to start theirs for them. Stoops & Co are recruiting harder than any administration at UK in recent memory, and they are starting to bring in some very good recruits – not just “a couple kids”. The water to put out this fire starts with recruits and finishes with better coaching, with a little luck added in. I’ll admit the jury is still out on the coaching, but you have to give them the time to get the recruits in place before you can really judge them. But alas, patience is lost on most who troll KSR.

19. RealCatsFan
    7:31 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

The Sugar Bowl – where favored SEC teams who really thought they should be playing in the national championship game go to die.

Congrats to the Sooners, but does anyone else think this would have been a great first year to start the post season playoff system?

20. thats budda
    9:06 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

I just want to know how close the blonde was to poppin that other girl right in the WOW hole.

• Ghost of SexInNuringHomes
      10:06 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

When you said “WOW hole” it made me think of something other than her mouth.

• schwing
      11:21 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

there are many holes from which to choose.

21. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    10:00 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

If Stoops can add a few of these last guys it would help speed up UKs development. I would think all of them could get playing time next year.

22. Every Kentucky fan
    10:28 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

Is Joker really that bad at recruiting? He can’t even get his own godson to come play for him…

23. lou eaton
    10:43 am January 3, 2014 Permalink

Joker did same thing he did as coach at UK…..incapable of making a decision and demonstrating why we all knew he was a fraud from the beginning. Once again he proved UK wrong in that continually looking for home cooking replacements seldom succeeds. UK football finally sought out a proven winner in Stoops. We had Bill Cury who great recruiting success at previous stops but a proven record of failures to produce winning teams with great talent. I think we finally got it right with Stoops!