The STD Trail: See the path for Shannon The Dude’s 50-mile walk

Next week Shannon The Dude will attempt to walk 50 miles in 20 hours. What began as a friendly and hypothetical radio discussion a few weeks ago, has grown into an actual challenge with real money (a lot of it) on the line. Shannon even picked up a sponsor, our friends at PowerStep, to help him in his 50-mile quest. Should he complete it, he will win $5,000.

But if he can’t complete it, a KSR listener will win money instead. We are currently in the process of building a pool of finalists to compete for the money if Shannon taps out of his walk early. Keep listening to the show and checking the site to find out how you can join the crowd of folks who stand a chance at Shannon’s prize money.

In the meantime, this is the official path the walking committee drew out for the walk. One loop is 25 miles, so he’ll have to do it twice before crossing the finish line at KSBar and Grille by 6 p.m. Friday night.

He will depart at 10 p.m. Thursday night from KSBar. (It’s marked on the map.)

To learn more about PowerStep, which Shannon should do, watch this video:

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for The STD Trail: See the path for Shannon The Dude’s 50-mile walk

1. sprtphan
    8:35 pm July 23, 2020 Permalink

I’m a big Shannon fan but he ain’t gonna make it.

2. lexattorney
    10:12 pm July 23, 2020 Permalink

It remains to be seen whether I will know the results. It all depends on the crew coming out against the Rupp name change. It they do not I will be done.

3. UKgrad80
    10:14 pm July 23, 2020 Permalink

I don’t like this inner city walk. Much rather see him walk US 60 or 127 where he can walk through towns in Ky. I am sure the guy who did it in the 60’s didn’t have sponsors ,fancy shoes, shin protectors and fresh socks every 5 miles.

4. CrystalBall
    10:36 pm July 23, 2020 Permalink

While in the military l walked 57 miles in 14.5 hours. Feet and legs ached, but after a good
    night sleep everything ok the next day. But l didn’t wake up ready to try it again.

• ScoggDog
      7:33 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Really ? You pounded out four miles an hour for 14.5 hours ?

We did the nominal 25 miles in 6 hours – the standard rate for the forced march at the time – and every single person in my platoon was finished. This was in full pack and overland – but I don’t think it would have been that much better on sidewalk with no gear.

No way Shannon makes this. If he makes it halfway, I’ll be impressed.

5. BoogieDMC
    10:40 pm July 23, 2020 Permalink

That walking speed over 20 hours can’t be done without training a lot.

6. sp
    8:20 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

That start finish timeframe is terrible. He’s going to be walking through the hottest time of the day in the final hours. He should start at 5pm and finish at 1 the next day and miss those hours.

7. CatManDo
    8:43 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

In college the STD Trail started and ended with my ex-girlfriend.
    I’ll be here all week folks!

8. Chet Lemond
    9:44 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Shannon might die.

9. Blue Bill
    11:44 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

He’ll make it.

10. satcheluk
    5:57 pm July 24, 2020 Permalink

I used to walk the STD trail when I was at UK, but always with a condom.