The Reds Report: April 9

Photo: John Minchillo, AP

Photo: John Minchillo, AP

Photo: John Minchillo, AP

Baseball season is underway in Cincinnati, and the Reds are off to a great start. The team won both of their series this week (Philadelphia and St. Louis), and they’ll try to keep things going in Pittsburgh on Monday.

Is it early? Sure.

Will this last? Probably not.

But for now, I don’t mind these standings one bit.

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 5.59.25 PM

Let’s get to this week’s Reds Report.

Can We Have a Mulligan?

Opening Day didn’t get off to the best start in Cincinnati.

After last season’s struggles, fans were excited to get the 2017 season going. Unfortunately, Scott Feldman gave up a home run to the first batter the Reds faced this season. Things didn’t get much better for Feldman who gave up 3 runs in 4.2 innings of work. The Reds rallied back to make it a close game, but Philadelphia handed Cincinnati an Opening Day loss.

Impressive Pitching Performances

There were a lot of question marks surrounding Cincinnati’s starting rotation to open the season. Homer Bailey and Anthony DeSclafani are both on the disabled list, and the team was left depending on Scott Feldman, Brandon Finnegan, and a cast of newcomers.

Finnegan held up his end of the bargain as he pitched 7 solid innings in Cincinnati’s second game of the season. Over those 7 innings of work, he gave up 0 runs, 1 hit, and struck out 9. Eno Sarris of FanGraphs had a helpful breakdown of Finnegan’s performance. He chalked up some of his success to an improved changeup.

The second big pitching performance of the week came on Friday as Amir Garrett made his major league debut. Garrett held St. Louis scoreless for 6 innings, and he only surrendered 2 hits. Garrett is an interesting prospect. He was drafted by the Reds in 2011, but before devoting himself to baseball full time he played two seasons of basketball at St. Johns. Below is a little more information about his journey to the majors.

Of course, you also have to mention Scott Feldman’s performance on Sunday. He bounced back from a difficult Opening Day to hold the Cardinals scoreless over 6 innings.

Welcome Back to the Big Leagues Bronson

Before yesterday, Bronson Arroyo hadn’t pitched in a major league game since 2014. Improbably, he made his return to the majors yesterday in a start for Cincinnati. Arroyo was clearly happy to be back on the mound…and St. Louis was happy to see him as well. The Cardinals lit up Arroyo for 6 runs in 4 innings of work. It’s hard to know how much longer Arroyo will be able to stay healthy, but it was nice to see him in a Reds uniform one more time.

What Can’t Michael Lorenzen Do?

On Thursday, the Reds did something a little unexpected. Bryan Price called on reliever Michael Lorenzen to pinch-hit in a game against Philadelphia. How did it go?

It was Cincinnati’s first pinch-hit home run since 2015. Because the Reds are employing a small bench to start the season, Bryan Price had mentioned his willingness to use Lorenzen at the plate on days he doesn’t pitch. So far, I’m all in on this strategy.

Oh Look, the Cardinals Are Cheating Again

No, this didn’t happen in a Reds game. However, I’ll never miss the chance to point out when something fishy happens in St. Louis.

On Thursday, Yadier Molina went to block a ball in the dirt. He began frantically looking for the ball once it bounced off of him. There was a small problem though. The ball was actually stuck to his chest protector.

What exactly is going on here? No one has come up with a good explanation for what happened. As Chris Cwik notes, it’s commonly accepted in baseball that pitchers will use substances to get a better grip on the ball. Most hitters actually encourage this. However, Molina and/or Cecil seem to be using way more than a little bit of a substance here.

I just chalk it up to the Cardinals being the dirtiest players in the game.

Highlight of the Week: A Rough Trip Around the Bases

Each week, I’ll try and bring you the best highlight from around baseball. This first submission is going to be pretty difficult to beat.

Stephen Piscotty probably had the worst trip around the bases in the history of baseball. Let’s relive all the action with some help from Scott Sterling.

What’s Ahead

Cincinnati kicks off a three-game series in Pittsburgh tomorrow, and they’ll finish the week with four games against Milwaukee at home.

You can read Eric’s writing all season long at Red Reporter and Baseball Prospectus. He also hosts the On Baseball Writing Podcast and appears on the Red Reporter podcast.

Article written by Eric Roseberry

Eric covers the Reds for KSR and Red Reporter. He writes about fantasy baseball for Baseball Prospectus. You can follow Eric on Twitter @ericroseberry.

11 Comments for The Reds Report: April 9

1. Bobbum Man
    8:01 pm April 9, 2017 Permalink

Who cares, the reds are awful

2. RadioshackGreg
    8:08 pm April 9, 2017 Permalink

This is a UK sports blog. I can get behind sneager talk or even the Bachelor for a tiny bit, but why oh why are we doing Reds stuff now? Really can’t stress how much I don’t care or want to see this.

3. KYcats11
    10:21 pm April 9, 2017 Permalink

Funny, people act like they have to read this. So what, if it’s on a UK sports blog, you don’t have to click on it. Many members of the BBN root for the reds, that’s why it’s on here. I personally enjoy it

4. cjruk1
    11:41 pm April 9, 2017 Permalink

Agree with KYcats11. I’m a huge UK fan first and foremost but the Reds are my second favorite sports team. Keep the Reds Reports coming!

5. runningunnin.454
    6:08 am April 10, 2017 Permalink

“Where have you gone, Johnny Bench, our nation turns it’s lonely eyes to you”
    What’s that you say, Mrs Robinson, Joltin’ John has left and gone away”.
    With sincere apology to Paul Simon

6. Blue_Cat75
    7:47 am April 10, 2017 Permalink

This is Reds country! Keep it coming!

7. mgilkey13
    9:44 am April 10, 2017 Permalink

As a life-long Cats fan, and avid KSR reader, listener, and fan, I feel confident that I can post this because I have the right to do so, and noting that there is almost no animosity in my writing. And also, this has bothered me for a couple of years now. Full disclosure: I am also a life-long Cubs fan, so maybe that’s in part why I cringe when I see the “Reds report” posts on KSR. I get that they’re the closest MLB baseball team to our state, and that there are lots of UK fans that are also Reds fans. Great. But A) they wear red, and B) they in fact are not in KY, and therefore not Kentucky Sports. My guess is that somewhere along the way, KSR hired a blog writer that also loves the Reds, and decided to start posting Reds stuff. I get the, “well don’t read it argument”…and I don’t. I also don’t watch SNL or CNN these days anymore but this post isn’t about politics. But my view and argument is that the Reds reports are usually quite long, and the writer could have spent that time on actual Kentucky sports content. Secondly, I haven’t seen a Bengals report, or a Pacers report, or a Predators report – and I’m glad because I don’t cheer for any of those teams either – but what’s the difference? They are also the closest pro teams to KY, and so where do you draw the line? It should be drawn at the Ohio River and KY/TN border. Furthermore – you don’t have to be local to read KSR. It’s about Kentucky Sports, and I know plenty of UK fans, grads, etc. that listen from all over the country. They are Indians fans, Cardinals fans, and all other MLB teams. They also cringe to see Reds report on KSR. For me I’m proud to be a Cubs fan in Cats country, and I go to read Cubs content – well everywhere these days – but they have their blogs, just like the Reds do. And sure, the majority of this state may cheer for the Reds, but most of us – I’ll say as high as 98% – do not go to KSR to read about the Reds and so it is a waste of time for both the writer who should be writing about Kentucky, even if it’s summer time and there’s less KY content. Lastly, let’s think about the poor little kid that will read these and risk growing up a Reds fan! It’s propaganda! Kids, don’t do it – don’t cheer for any teams that wear RED! (Except the Washington Capitals). But when you’re old enough, do definitely go to the ballpark in Cincy, and enjoy it because they have built a terrific fan experience around their park. Which is great when the Cubs are in town! 🙂 My rant probably won’t change that I have to see these damn Reds reports every week, but I had to get this off my chest because I feel rather strongly about this. And also its Monday so I’m half grumpy and in the mood to gripe. GO CUBS, and GO CATS!

• evilcarl
      10:11 am April 10, 2017 Permalink

Bye snowflake. Don’t read it. I love the Red’s report. It is once a week usually on a slow UK news day, Sunday. This website is free. Free. Shut up.

8. CarltonBanks
    9:48 am April 10, 2017 Permalink

STL fan checking in… “I just chalk it up to the Cardinals being the dirtiest players in the game.” You mention this in an article about the Reds? You’ve got to be f’n kidding. Did you forget about the time that Johnny Cueto kicked several St. Louis players with his cleats? What about the fact that he managed to land a few of these kicks in (former teammate) Jason LaRue’s head. Cueto ended his career and last I heard LaRue was still dealing with post-concussion symptoms nearly 7 years later.

• evilcarl
      10:25 am April 10, 2017 Permalink

You all did commit theft of the Astros database by computer hacking repeatedly. And Molina actually started the incident that you referred too. Molina started it.