The NFL will not fine Avery Williamson for his 9/11 tribute cleats

Avery Williamson wore custom-made 9/11 anniversary cleats during Sunday’s home opener in Nashville, despite being advised by the NFL not to do so. The cleats, made by True Blue Customs in Lexington, had “9-11-01” on the left shoe (with the “11” in the shape of the World Trade Center), with “Never Forget” on the right.

Williamson tweeted, “After much thought I decided to wear the 9/11 cleats. I’m so glad I could represent my country in a positive way. The support from everyone was amazing.”

A league spokesman has since said Williamson will not be fined for the cleats, which would normally be a violation of the league’s uniform policy.

Two New York police unions and Titans head coach Mark Mularkey offered to pay the fine had the league followed through.

Article written by Drew Franklin

6 Comments for The NFL will not fine Avery Williamson for his 9/11 tribute cleats

1. RexRox
    5:57 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Good for Avery! In my opinion, this not only reflects well on his character but also that of his family. Very sad that the media doesn’t report this on the same level that they report the players who are kneeling or raising fists.

• runningunnin.454
      6:21 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

Actually, I did see the story on national news last night; Avery, along with Beckham and Cruz, was covered on CNN and Fox.
      Of course, the NFL is backing down….they don’t need that kind of publicity.

2. Mc12
    6:28 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

It was tough as a big footballl fan to #boycottnfl for any ganes a player kneeled or raised a fist, but it wasn’t as difficult as I thought and will continue.

• Mc12
      6:29 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

*games

• Bobbum Man
      8:23 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

You’d think all these oppressed multi millionaires who could go live anywhere in the world they want would just leave if they’ve got it so rough

• Billy Hill
      9:47 pm September 13, 2016 Permalink

So you think Americans who use their constitutional rights that soldiers have died defending to protect, should move somewhere else because you don’t agree with it? Got it.

I’d like to hear your thoughts on the Confederate flag, Bobbum.