The new UK logo will go campus-wide next semester

new-logo

Whether you like it or not, the new logo for the University of Kentucky is here to stay. It will begin popping up all over campus next semester, replacing the old UK logo featuring the silhouette of Memorial Hall:

The new logo was first discovered back in April on the new court in Memorial Coliseum, sparking an uproar from UK Athletics fans who were happy with the existing one. Many fans (myself included) were very against the switch.

Mitch Barnhart later went on KSR defending the new look, telling us, “We’ve invested in it. We worked closely with our university folks and the Nike folks, and it’s part of trying to have the K be a little more prominent and be out front a little bit more. From a graphics perspective, there are some things we are trying to do as we move our program forward.”

According to the Kentucky Kernel, UK spokesman Jay Blanton told the December Meeting of the Human Resources and University Relations Committee the new look will be campus-wide, not just for athletics, beginning next semester. Blanton said the decision to rebrand the university was directed by President Eli Capilouto and Provost Tim Tracy about two years ago.

The switch to the new logo, which cost the university around $80,000 to design, will be gradual over time.

For more, read the Kernel’s story here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

36 Comments for The new UK logo will go campus-wide next semester

1. Great American
    2:16 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I’ve got no problem with the new logo, things change. But at least make it proportional in CWS. That logo is entirely too small. And when the put it in Rupp i hope it’s the same size as the one currently on the floor.

2. Sentient Third Eye
    2:24 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I can live with it. I liked the old logo better, but I liked the power K more than that, too. It’s sort of a longstanding UK tradition to find the best logos possible and then stop using them.

3. nmichave
    2:25 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I have no problem with the new logo either. I will miss the old Memorial Hall infused UK logo, though. I wish they would keep both. The Memorial Hall logo projected a more scholarly image. I assume that merchandise/clothing with the new logo will come out around the same time? I’m holding off buying any UK merch until the new logo makes it’s debut.

4. Mathlete
    2:26 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I don’t have an issue with the new logo, it is what it is. I do, however, have to question why a university with an army of very creative arts students spent $80k on designing a new logo (that looks *very* similar to the one they had) instead of having a contest for a year of free tuition a student-designed one.

• The Professor
      2:39 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I agree completely. The design is nothing special and it is throwing away $80,000 for something that could have been done by students. It is just another bad and wasteful decision by Barnhart.

• Catsby80
      2:52 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Professor… did you not read the article?

” Blanton said the decision to rebrand the university was directed by President Eli Capilouto and Provost Tim Tracy about two years ago.”

• UK Big Board Update
      5:14 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

DITCH MITCH!!

FAR STOOPS!!

DITCH TRACY!!

OUT WITH CAPILOUTO!!!

5. Lahinch02
    2:44 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

All the griping about tuition going up, ticket prices … and then to see $80,000 spent on a logo and probably $200,000 on 3 sets of helmets (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24538862/helmet-hustle-a-look-at-how-schools-buy-and-sell-pricey-headgear).
    UK has gotten my last dollar for anything, anywhere.

• david8577
      2:48 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Logos get old and need to be changed out. This is just “upkeep”: Besides, it isn’t like they are using the money on prostitutes.

6. JerkStore
    2:49 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Not a big fan of the new logo. Looks like it was made using cheap Microsoft font. I figure the $80,000 price tag must include switching out all letter head, signs, etc.

7. Garrison-Jenner2016
    2:53 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Could get more expensive with possible future lawsuit for trademark infringement. University of Houston?

• Catsby80
      2:56 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Don’t you think the university would’ve done their due diligence and not ripped off another school’s logo? I don’t think this is going to be an issue.

• JoeMoney333
      2:57 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

No, it won’t.

• Garrison-Jenner2016
      3:06 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I don’t actually think a lawsuit will come from it either. I do think they ripped of UH’s logo though, but they pulled up their slimy sleeves and did so legally. Befuddled by how that logo, which is pretty much identical to UH’s, costs $80 k to design. I could have made that in 5 minutes on Adobe Illustrator.

8. ukbigblue1
    3:03 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

It’s like they used Wordpad and a crayon. Got love love making changes for the sake of progress. Mitch struggles with choosing coaches and logos I guess.

9. Laker Cat 18
    3:22 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I’ll say it. It’s butt ugly. Not to mention grammatically incorrect. Nowhere else will you find a K where the top leg doesn’t go straight to the body of the “K.” It looks like an “H” with a broken hip.

• ukgrad83
      4:36 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Agree 100%. Can’t hire a top level coach so we’ll adjust the marketing. Total BS. Should never have changed. Yeah, get off my lawn too, but in this case, it’s justified. There was NO need to change the logo. Should change the AD and the head FB coach first.

• leon singleton
      4:51 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

That is because its ginger is male.

• theSkinny81
      5:24 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I wonder how many people are going to stop going to the games because they don’t like the new logo?

10. Jaxson
    3:35 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

The new logo is garbage. Some fans will pay premiums for ‘retro’ Nike Kentucky gear just to get something that resembles “Kentucky.” The majority of fans will just buy bootleg stuff, which is rampant in Lexington and all over the state. And for the paid KSR trolls, if you’re going to post four positive posts for the new logo, try to space them out. Four in the first 10 minutes of posting is a bit much………

• UK Big Board Update
      4:46 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

^^ LMAO!!! This is the same dude who thought I, and several other regular posters here, were the same person, becasue GOD FORBID anyone have an opposing view as you!!

Get over yourself, dude.

Or keep it up. It is kind of hilarious….

• Jaxson
      5:06 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

You never comment on posts. You comment on comments. I weep for your obvious loneliness. Have a nice day.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:10 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

LOL. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

That doesn’t make me any less correct.

Hey, maybe I’m a paid troll??? HAHAHAAHAAAAAA!!!

11. mgcat
    3:45 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I’ve been an art director in advertising for 20+years.

This new logo is crap and they paid through he nose for it.

Shame.

12. Luvas
    3:48 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

$40K for the left half of the H and $40K for the right half of the X to make one jacked up looking K?

13. RealCatsFan
    3:53 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

New logo is pretty “meh” to me.

14. Poppschmidty
    3:53 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Penis tongue or nothing! Go Cats!

15. kylesnotmacysmom
    3:56 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

To say I despise the new logo would be mild! Apparently UK used the same firm as the state of Tennessee and NBC. Complete waste of money. The one being replaced evokes emotion in every graduate. It’s tradition so of course by all means replace it. Heartbreaking. Both Mitch and Eli need to
    recognize this is a fail and accept the financial loss.

16. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:57 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

A logo typed in “comic sans” just oozes professionalism and elegance.

17. scwhite9
    4:29 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I thought the same thing about it being wasted money just as Tennessee did when replacing their 3 stars. What a waste of TN taxpayer money.

18. sam.jervis
    4:46 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

So it cost us 80,000 dollars to design a new logo that no one likes and it will cost way more than 80,000 dollars to change every sign with the old UK logo. The old UK logo was great and I’m gonna miss the one with Memorial Hall on it

• UK Big Board Update
      5:12 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Um, I see several people who have posted on here that are completely fine with the new logo, so therefore your assumption that “no one likes it” is just completely false.

19. ukjp
    5:41 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

This logo is a disgrace. Our old logo was very iconic and this one is just awful in comparison. As a student, it’s really sad to see they paid $80,000 because I know plenty of students who could make a better one in a week. The worst part about it all, the font for “University of Kentucky” is times new roman… can we get any more generic. I could of made this logo in microsoft paint and I’m a business major. Imagine what a graphic design major could do. I wouldn’t even care if this logo was decent but this is just nauseating.

• BigBaldDA
      11:01 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I agree that the cost to have such a small change from an existing university logo seems asinine, however, it’s not as simple as it looks on the surface. I dislike the logo, but saying that the font is Times New Roman is incorrect. It appears to be in the Mercury font family and Mercury Display Roman if I was saying. I know it’s a petty correction, and as Matt says, “KSR, where facts are optional”, but that’s one of the reasons design firms and graphic designers get paid crazy fees. The devil is in the details.

With that said, this logo and rebranding was a waste of funds and time.

20. ukbrian32
    11:17 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Stop the crooked K!
    Follow on Twitter: @stopthecrookedk
    Also like the new Facebook page: facebook.com/SAVE-the-K-1050809894970093

21. yarg
    9:21 am December 17, 2015 Permalink

It’s not that it’s bad; it just looks uninteresting when compared to the old logo. But honestly, this is something we’ll give zero craps about in a few years if not a few days.