The New England Patriots Are Your Super Bowl 51 Champions

@ESPNNFL

@ESPNNFL

@ESPNNFL

Folks, regardless of your allegiances, you have to admit, that was an incredible football game. The Atlanta Falcons were near flawless on both sides of the ball during the first half, eventually building to a 28-3 lead.

Then, arguably the biggest momentum shift in the history of football happened.

The Patriots scored 31 unanswered points, including overtime, to overcome the deficit. For context, prior to this, no team in Super Bowl history had ever trailed by 10+ points before coming back to win. Ever.

MVP Tom Brady threw for 466 yards and 2 touchdowns. This is the 5th Super Bowl victory for the Brady-Belichick tandem.

Oh, and Lady Gaga was pretty great, too.

@JayWinkKSR

Article written by Jay Winkler

Avid fan of UK Athletics, WWE, and chicken wings. Preferably at the same time.

11 Comments for The New England Patriots Are Your Super Bowl 51 Champions

1. Garbage play calling by the Falcons the last Ime they were on the Pats 25 yard line cost them this game. Protect the ball, run it up the middle and kick a field goal if you don’t get the TD. Oh well…

• WeareBBN
      6:10 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

1. there is no guarantee they make the FG. 2. They recovered from the sack and made a pass to get back in FG range but once again OL Jake Matthews held and got caught. He did same after the failed onside kick on like 2nd and one, they did run and he held and got caught. OC made the play calls, Jake cost them both times and knocked them from FG range. Atlanta had 10 plays they could have made on D and still win the game as well, 4th and 3, either 2 point try, 3rd and 10 from their own 10 on last drive etc., Pats just made the plays.

2. Look Out Fireworks
    11:47 pm February 5, 2017 Permalink

Pah!

They are not MY super bowl champs. I didn’t want them to win.

Taking tomorrow off work to protest. Who’s with me??

3. KYcats11
    1:11 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

it is extremely rediculous that it ended up coming down in overtime to, who can pick heads or tails. Falcons should have had a chance to at least tie it. Then do it the next one who scores. The overtime rule is rediculous.

• WeareBBN
      6:13 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Works for me, if you hold them to a FG you get the ball. If you can’t stop them from getting a TD you don’t deserve a chance. How long you ant to drag it out, if they do give the ball back and they tie the game Pats score 2nd time should Atl get it a 2nd time since the Pats had it twice. No, just make a stop. Brady is best all time and just solidified that. Thankfully for my Bengals Brady has to retire soon.

• RealCatsFan
      9:58 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

I don’t follow NFL football, so I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I agree with KYcats11 – I don’t like an event that is the magnitude of the SuperBowl to basically come down to the flip of a coin. I prefer the college format, where Atlanta would have had a chance to answer. Oh well, to each his own.

That being said, you have to hand it to Brady and the Pats for never giving up, keeping their cool, and making the greatest SB comeback in history. Any chance Cal will try to use this as a talking point with his team? 😉

4. henderblue
    7:06 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

^😢😢

5. Ridge Runner
    7:52 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

I still can’t believe what I saw last night. I’m not a Pats fan but one thing is cemented now..

Tom Brady is the best quarterback ever by any sane person who can dismiss their allegiance to the teams they are a fan of and just be honest.

6. catsarerunnin
    8:01 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Loved it. Congrats to the Pats.

7. za
    8:54 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

After I got over the sensationalism of the game, I realized how bad the offensive play calling was from Kyle Shanahan.