The new dormitories at UK are ridiculously nice

Photo via UKnow.uky.edu

This weekend, two new dormitories will open on the corner of South Limestone and Avenue of Champions on UK’s campus: Holmes Hall and Boyd Hall. The $84 million dorms are the latest jewels in UK’s $460 million housing overall, and will add almost 1,200 beds to campus. Like all of the new dorms on UK’s campus, Holmes and Boyd hall include two- and four-bedroom suites, several study rooms, kitchens, classrooms, and lounges, many with sweeping views of campus. A video tour, courtesy of UK:

Some photos from today’s open house, courtesy of the UK Housing & Residence Life Facebook page:

Lounge:

Kitchen/Eating area:

Laundry:

Not jealous yet? There’s a Steak ‘N Shake scheduled to open on the ground floor of Holmes Hall next week.

13 Comments for The new dormitories at UK are ridiculously nice

1. madarchitect
    4:27 pm August 10, 2016 Permalink

I’m not jealous because I could actually afford college in 1995. These dorms look like “bring on the student loans” to me!!

• Btwortha
      9:49 pm August 10, 2016 Permalink

Seriously. I really wish modern colleges would wake up to this stupid crap and instead of trying to outdo one another with expensive worthless amenities they’d make it a commitment to be the best value. Compete to have students set the standard for lowest post grad debt load. Imagine that?!

Oh no, gotta spend a fortune for a built in steak and shake and on ground art studios. So stupid. Show me a college that can have world class lecturers and great academic standards and a yearly tuition of $5k or less. That’s what I’m interested in. Dorms might as well be made out of cinder blocks for all I care (mine was).

• fozzy_b
      10:15 pm August 10, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, I don’t miss K-B living, but a year of tuition and fees for $4k was nice.

• DT in DC
      11:50 am August 11, 2016 Permalink

I thought the same thing when I saw these dorms. I guess today’s kid’s wouldn’t want to live in Donovan Hall like I did for my first 2 years at UK in the mid-90s. I haven’t looked, but I’d love to see how much more they’re paying for these new dorms vs the old ones. It’ll also be eye opening for them when they graduate and move out on their own and can’t afford to live in an apartment anywhere close to this nice.

2. WestCoastCat
    4:58 pm August 10, 2016 Permalink

Way nicer than my Holmes Hall freshman experience. We didn’t even have air conditioning. What in the world will these kids do when they get out into the real world and realize everything isn’t state of the art and furnished with the latest and greatest and that the loans they take out for this aren’t “free money?”

• Bobbum Man
      5:21 pm August 10, 2016 Permalink

Prolly the same thing everyone does now, expect everything to be handed to them. If it’s not find something or someone to blame and whine about it

• runningunnin.454
      5:38 pm August 10, 2016 Permalink

Hay WCC: another Holmes Hall veteran here. The only good thing was the short walk to Memorial Col and Stoll Field…..that and the Tolly Ho.

• Some will expect exactly what Hillary wants to do.

• Billy Hill
      11:55 pm August 10, 2016 Permalink

CGINWTTD REALLY hates gays and thinks the earth is 5000 years old.

3. Nerds
    8:00 pm August 10, 2016 Permalink

Sure they’re nice…but nothing beats the 53 fire alarms during finals when you live on the 12th floor of Blanding Tower. #lowrisesforlife

4. slapcat007
    9:37 pm August 10, 2016 Permalink

These comments crack me up sound like a bunch of old curmudgeons. When I walked to school it was up hill both ways. I say good on ’em. I sure wish I had a steak and shake when I was at Holmes Hall Freshman Year 1993. Of course I’d probably be dead from a heart attack by now but hey dang them shoestring fries!

5. jaflinchum
    10:10 pm August 10, 2016 Permalink

I lived in the old Boyd Hall and this place does not seem to have enough asbestos to be authentic

6. msnthrop
    6:33 am August 11, 2016 Permalink

For every tenured faculty member at UK, there are now two administrators. Adjunct teachers at BCTC make minimum age.