The NBA Playoffs want Sunday Night notes

(WashingtonPost.com)

The NBA playoffs are in full swing and Saturday proved that home court advantage might not be all it’s cracked up to be. With all of the home teams except for the Thunder losing, the playoffs are off to an intriguing start. The biggest “upset” of the day came when the #1 seeded Indiana Pacers fell hard to the 8-seeded Atlanta Hawks. I’ve always said that believing in the Pacers is kind of like believing in Gonzaga. I wouldn’t do it. Today marked a few more expected results with the Spurs handling the Mavericks and the defending champion Heat holding off a hard fought defensive effort on LeBron James by Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. MKG did a stand up job, but foul trouble caught up with him and LeBron took over from there.

The most exciting performance of the day came from former Wildcat John Wall of the Wizards. Wall has become the young leader for the Wizards, leading them to the playoffs for the first time in his NBA career. Wall helped the Wizards top the Bulls in Game 1 of the series by contributing 16 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists.

Now on to the news from a rather quiet sports weekend…

—- Easter weekend gave us a taste of what the news flow can be like in the off-season heading into the summer. With  most of the Kentucky basketball players who have yet to make decisions heading home to spend time with family for the holiday weekend, the news was a bit dry. Here’s a brief rundown of where the Kentucky basketball decisions stand as of now:

James Young declared his intentions to enter the NBA draft right before the weekend started. Young is projected as a top 20 pick by most services.

Willie Cauley-Stein and Marcus Lee have both announced that they will be returning to Kentucky next season.

Julius Randle, the Harrison twins, Alex Poythress and Dakari Johnson have still not made a public decision yet.

—- The only real interesting tidbit of news to come out of this weekend regarding the decisions were a few quotes by the Harrison twins and their father, Aaron Sr. A report from FOX out of Houston made it sound like the decision has not been made yet and the two are still weighing their options. Late this week it looked as if the feedback being given to Andrew and Aaron from the NBA wasn’t quite as positive as they had hoped. But the Harrison’s father shot down any rumors that a strong lean was being made either way at the moment.

“We are probably midway,” Aaron Harrison, Sr. said.  “We got to make a decision here in the next six or seven days anyway, but we’ve sat down and had one or two conversations about it and had some prayer about it, but that’s pretty much where we’re at….. They’re not leaning either way.”

Their father also said that they are still awaiting more feedback from NBA teams before making a decision.

Aaron and Andrew both had some reflective words about the season as well as a few thoughts on where they stand at the moment with their thought process.

Andrew: “Of course we didn’t end it like we wanted it to. The run we had, it was amazing. It was like no other really. It was one of the best times in my life in the tournament, just having a great time with my teammates.”

Aaron: “It’s basically my career really. Don’t leave anything out. Think about all the angles and everything that goes into it and just try to make the best choice for your family.”

On returning for a chance to win a championship: “Yeah, that’s a factor, but I think it’s more about us personally and not about winning a ring or anything like that. It’s just more personal because it’s my career, it’s my life.”

On the surface, it could seem easy to take Aaron’s comments as a negative, but how can you blame a kid for making such a huge decision for personal reasons? With the potential of injuries, monetary factors, the randomness of college basketball (Kentucky as an 8 seed and UCONN as a 7 seed duking it out for a championship), some of the lure of trying to win a championship has to be put to the wayside for more personal/business reasons.

—- The second biggest piece of news from the weekend was the tattoo heard round the Bluegrass. I’m not sure that’s the best representation of Willie Cauley-Stein I’ve ever seen, but it certainly is the best only representation I’ve ever seen of Willie Cauley-Stein on a calf.

With that said, it’s not the best calf tattoo I’ve ever seen. Tomlin wins that one…

—- Tennessee basketball looks close to naming a new head coach. Michael White of Louisiana Tech is the frontrunner at the moment, with some rumors swirling that the deal has already been done. White has had great success at Louisiana Tech and though he’s not a “big name,” he’s thought to be one of the up and comers.

—- And let’s not forget that the Kentucky football Spring Game (and plenty of other UK sports goodness) is just around the corner

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

24 Comments for The NBA Playoffs want Sunday Night notes

1. CATSCATSCATS
    10:34 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

One or two teams say they will take Harrisons in the first round and they are gone.

• Tonya
      8:17 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

No way they receive guarantees from teams for the 1st round. There are already 30+ underclassmen that have declared with at least 9 guards ahead of them. Won’t happen.

2. BNClay
    10:34 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

Wall actually didn’t play that we. Beal and Ariza were good and Nene was really good. Go Wiz! Wall bounces back in game 2 for the 2-0 lead.,

• Lexington 3
      12:19 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

Beal? Try watching the game next time.

3. ukbradstith
    10:41 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

No way the twins leave if they want to do ” what’s best for business”.

4. Bmac
    11:26 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

Seems like no one has thought to ask the twins about if they considered the fact that staying in school would likely be the only way the two could play (possibly ever again) on the same team.

5. rnet
    11:46 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

I love the twins from a fan point of view, but hate their all about me attitudes. I understand this is what each and every elite fresh thinks about, but you don’t have to throw it out there like that. Before reading that I was dead set, thinking I pray they come back. Now I wonder if next years team would be better off without them and their bad attitudes. Whatever happens happens, but I’m definitely not going to be disappointed if they choose to leave. So much with the servant leadership Cal teaches. #BBN

• jus sayin
      12:13 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

So because they want to secure their dream job they have an all about me attitude?

Of course they want to win a title. That doesn’t mean you should pass up millions of dollars and what you have been working towards 18 years of your life to do it.

• fun
      12:15 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, having to take a week or two to decade rather to pass on a lifelong goal is real selfish. The nerve…

• Do whut?
      7:12 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

So what should they base their decisions on? Team vote? What a flatly absurd comment and assessment.

• rahrah
      8:38 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

Fans (?) like you, rnet, could well be the reason why the twins are hesitating to come back. Love these kids and am really disappointed with the way they were treated pre-run. I for one, really, really hope they are back but respect whatever they choose. #BBNforever

6. TDog
    11:58 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

Kinda a random question but does anyone know where I can find the Final Four Kentucky hats like the ones they got right after they beat MI. I cannot seem to find them anywhere.

7. Ha!
    12:00 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

Question: does the “r” in “rnet” stand for ridiculous or retard?

8. Revelation 11:15
    6:02 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

Big Blue Nation — I was once an atheist who engaged in sex-filled parties, smoked marjiuana, and drank alcohol. Over the last year of my life, serious events have occurred in my life that opened my eyes to the glory that is Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. On the day celebrating His rebirth and cleansing of our sin, I urge you to turn to God now, before it is too late.

• Monica
      6:38 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

You can still be an atheist and prioritize science over religion without engaging in sex-filled parties, smoking MJ, and being a drunk.

Whatever works for you, though. Although I question its relevance to this article or anything else on this site.

• Buckets
      7:09 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

I urge you, before it’s too late!

LOL

• Do whut?
      7:15 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

And you can be an atheist with little concern or interest in science. What’s your point? He was referencing his own lifestyle and never made any broad statements concerning atheists.

• Just a thought...
      8:36 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

Ok, here is the problem I have with your statement. If you read the bible and hopefully you did since it changed your life. What does Genesis 1:29 mean? “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you”. Weed doesn’t make you have orgies or make you a lazy bad person. If you think that tell that to Michael Phelps or to all the other athletes that workout every day for a living. Its all about the persons mindset and will to change! And one more thing, I urge you to see all the benefits this plant has and even the nutritious sides as to juicing the plant. You will change your mind once you do some research and realize everything you have been told is a lie. Not one single death ever related to cannabis…

• Megan
      9:08 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

Here’s the thing, Rev. You’re free to adopt religion. It’s your life, right? I’m not here to persuade you otherwise. The decision you’ve made is a very personal one. Personal to you.

By the same token, my life belongs to me. So please, don’t proselytize. Live your own life and leave me to mine. Remember what Jesus said about doing unto others (Matthew 7:12).

Another wise man once put it this way: “Religion – religion, at best – at BEST – is like a lift in your shoe. If you need it for a while, and it makes you walk straight and feel better – fine. But you don’t need it forever, or you can become permanently disabled. Religion is like a lift in the shoe, and I say just don’t ask me to wear your shoes. And let’s not go down and nail lifts onto the natives’ feet.” (George Carlin, SNL 1:1)

• Do whut?
      2:44 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Megan you’re literally proselytizing in the very post you tell someone else not to do the same. What is it with atheists that somehow issues of faith are the one stinking exception to the entire foundation of America. Why should breast cancer awareness groups be allowed to proselytize? Gay pride organizations, PETA, the USO, the Republican Party, the neighborhood restaurant, the Boy Scouts, Little League Baseball, John Calipari, you get my point. You don’t have the right or even the right to the expectation that someone won’t speak to you about issues that irritate and annoy you. The first amendment applies to all of us. Not just individuals and groups atheists approve of so in closing allow me to say it more succinctly, get over yourself.

9. CPACAT
    6:41 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

Someone correct me if I’m wrong…and I am SURE you will…but didn’t UT hire Derek Dooley from La Tech? Seems like they wouldn’t want to repeat that error…

10. Buckets
    7:14 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

Who the f^<k is Michael White? It must suck to be a Vols fan.

11. Ho Lee Fuk
    8:43 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

That is a BIG tattoo to have on your leg for the rest of your life.

12. Dandy Don