The Midnight Club’s Friday News and Views

basketball

I’d like to take a minute to thank Derek Willis.  A few weeks ago, the freshman told reporters how he’s made a habit of going to the Joe Craft Center late at night to get in some extra shooting.  Willis likened the experience to church, saying that the solitude of the gym gave him clarity. Since then, we’ve heard that Dominique Hawkins, Alex Poythress, and now, Willie Cauley-Stein have all been in the gym late at night to work on their game.  Earlier this evening, John Calipari tweeted that Willie was in the gym late Wednesday night, and was back to his old self, which means we can all stop planning the intervention we had planned for tomorrow night.

In his latest Mailbag episode, Cal was asked if his players had started another Breakfast Club like MKG did in 2012.  Cal said that he had enough trouble getting his team up in time for breakfast, but mentioned that while at Memphis, Tyreke Evans used to put in so much extra work late at night in the practice facility that he would sleep there, which Cal called “The Overnight Breakfast Club.” Is it time for the team to bring their comforters over to the Joe Craft Center?  I’ve seen that lounge.  It’s pretty nice…just saying.

Anyways, thank you, Derek Willis. News and views time.

1398503

Josh Krok flipped his commitment from West Virginia to Kentucky

Vince Marrow did it again.  On Thursday, 3-star offensive tackle Josh Krok flipped his commitment from West Virginia to Kentucky, becoming the Cats’ 26th commitment in the 2014 class.  Krok, considered the 50th best OT in his class by 247 Sports Composite, is listed at 6’8″, 300 lbs., but word is he’s closer to 6’9″, 323 lbs., which makes him a massive get for the Cats, both literally and figuratively.  Vince Marrow was Krok’s key recruiter, and is now directly responsible for 11 of Kentucky’s commitments from Ohio (and indirectly for so many more).  Go ahead and finalize that raise, UK!

Read the latest on Krok’s commitment over on the House of Blue.

That leaves the Cats with two scholarships left to give in the 2014 class.  Leave your guesses as to who takes them in the comments section.

skype-troops12

Cal, Governor Beshear, Alex, and Julius skyped with the troops on Thursday

Thursday morning, John Calipari, Governor Steve Beshear, Alex Poythress, and Julius Randle skyped with troops stationed in Kuwait, Afghanistan, and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.  These Kentucky fans serving their country were given the opportunity to ask Cal and the players anything they wanted to, and like true UK fans, they wanted updates on practice, details on which defenses the Cats were using, and to meet with Cal once back in the States to talk about their ideas for the squad.  Major General Ed Tonini called in to the radio show to talk about the experience, and said that Cal was “perhaps one of the most gracious men I’ve ever met in my life” for giving his time and concern to the troops, adding that Cal told him he wanted to travel with him to see the troops the next time he goes.  (But wait, Cal’s supposed to be a terrible person, right??)

Check out all of Drew’s pictures from the experience here.

Archie Goodwin got sent to the D-League

After his playing time has dwindled in recent weeks, the Phoenix Suns sent Archie Goodwin to the D-League on Thursday.  Suns GM Ryan McDonough said they want to keep Archie sharp and give him experience, something Archie agrees with, telling reporters “It’s important for me to play.”  Make them eat they feet like Terrence did, Archie.

DeMarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis made the initial Team USA roster

In good former Cat news, both DeMarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis made the initial roster for Team USA.  Twenty-eight NBA players made the pool, and later this summer, the staff will choose the 12-man team to represent USA in the World Cup of Basketball in Spain.  Unfortunately, Boogie learned the news after suffering a sprained ankle in Wednesday night’s game against Houston.  Minor setback for a major comeback.

Throwback Thursday!

Throwback Thursday!

Jarrod Polson’s jersey will be retired Friday night

On Friday night, West Jessamine High School is retiring Jarrod Polson’s jersey before their game against Mercer County.  The game starts at 7:30 p.m., but the ceremony will begin at 7 p.m. Come on out to West Jessamine to support Wilmore’s finest.  Tickets are $5.

Have you checked out the fine work our friends are doing over at Funkhouser?  Spend your snow day catching up on pop culture news, courtesy of CM Tomlin.

UK Hoops drops a tough one to Alabama

It was a bad night for UK Hoops, who lost at home to Alabama, 57-55.  The loss is even more disappointing when you consider Alabama was without its leading scorer and has only won three SEC games in the past three seasons.  Afterwards, Matthew Mitchell told reporters that his team “is not handling the expectations placed on them” and is now entering “1-game season mode” with “nowhere to hide.”  Can they join the Midnight Club, too?

BesscBcCQAEwFNW

Photo @cFogle22

Jacob Hyde is a true country boy

I can’t end on a bad note.  Aside from being one of Kentucky’s most promising redshirt freshmen, Jacob Hyde is somewhat of a cult hero around these parts after he rode his lawnmower to prom back in high school.  Now, Cameron Fogle shared this great picture of Hyde showing off his new boots with this caption: “The biggest redneck on the UK football team just got a new pair of boots and he’s acting like he just won $1,000,000.”  Never change, Jacob.

In the morning, we’ll set our sights on Georgia.  Stay warm and see you then.

33 Comments for The Midnight Club’s Friday News and Views

1. Buckets
    11:09 pm January 23, 2014 Permalink

Cal with the governor? Uh oh. Here come the ridiculous comments from those who takes politics way too seriously…

2. blueballs
    11:29 pm January 23, 2014 Permalink

Why does Cal mention Memphis like we care what he did there…I notice he mention that school ever now and then

• Really?
      1:43 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

No kidding. Cal’s life didn’t begin until he arrived in Lexington, so he should never mention any prior life experiences. Why don’t you call in to his radio show next week and point that out to him?

3. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    11:32 pm January 23, 2014 Permalink

Do any of the UK football recruits that enrolled for the 2nd semester, count against last year recruiting class, instead of this year?

4. I Like Dykes
    11:35 pm January 23, 2014 Permalink

TJones went into a slump at UK like WCS, and worked himself out of it. Hopefully, WCS can do the same.

5. TDog
    11:45 pm January 23, 2014 Permalink

Please UK pay Vince Marrow the money he deserves. Let’s not lose a good staff once we finally get one.

6. hooters
    12:09 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

Looks like Jacob bulked up this red shirt year yea

7. SickAndTired
    12:16 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

I am so sick of seeing Calipari schmoozing with liberals like the thug in the White House and our half-wit governor. Really love him as a coach — cannot stand his politics.

• Linda Taylor
      12:37 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

It wouldn’t have mattered which political party the governor belonged to, Cal would still have done this because it is for the soldiers who are risking their lives for us here at home that he his doing it. It’s not for schmoozing with the Gov. It’s all about the soldiers and thanking them for their service and sacrifice for our counntry. This was a non-partisan actiivity. It just so happens that right now our Gov. is a Democrat.

• SickAndTired
      12:51 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

Linda — I keep hearing this over and over again, yet I never see Cal in pictures with or supporting conservative politicians. Recently Mike Huckabee visited our troops as well. Why wasn’t Cal there then? The troops wouldn’t be happy if they knew Governor Beshear supported spending tax dollars to murder innocent children in the womb.

• What?
      4:36 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

“Thug in the White House”? What an ignorant comment.

• Buckets
      7:36 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

“thug in the White House…” Yup, here’s one of those wackos I mentioned earlier. Too scared to say the n-word so you use code words like “thug.” Way to play, coward.

• Eric
      9:13 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

The team recently visited the George W Bush Library while in Texas. Give me a break. This was a skype with the troops overseas. Why does every idiot have to make it into a political thing?

I get “sick and tired” of idiots like you. Not everything in sports relates back to politics. Go to a political blog and spew your ignorance there. This site is about sports.

• Buckets, the president is in fact a Chicago-style politics thug. He forces his will on us when Congress won’t act on something he wants, he sicks the IRS on the Tea Party (the people…us!), the NSA scandal, Benghazi, he shreds his political opponents while they are expected to play nice with him. He is a THUG with a capital T-H-U-G and it has nothing to do with race.

• Buckets
      10:03 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

You political whack jobs crack me up. HILARIOUS with a capital H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S.

8. Carter
    1:04 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

Everyone needs to know that i have given Jacob the official nickname as: The Bush Hog!

9. Sicko,
    Since when is Huckabee the Gov of Kentucky???
    They were talking with Kentucky units with Kentucky Soldiers.
    Their Gov, their Major General, and for many of them their beloved
    Kentucky Wildcats were “video visiting” with them. Your dog ain’t
    huntin here. Find something else to be miserable about.

10. Gene Etics
    5:53 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

………………………..Are Hyde & Krok related?

11. timer
    6:45 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

Welcome Josh!

Folks we got a GREAT one here!

Great job Coach Stoops and Coach Morrow!

12. Doc 'Umen' Terry
    7:49 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

………………………………..Polson hasn’t changed a bit.

13. TenLossTubby
    8:03 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

Last 2 scholly’s go to Bobby Perry and Sheray Thomas

14. so tired of Archie Goodwin news
    9:07 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

I really couldn’t give a shit about Archie. What a turd. And, I’m shocked he got demoted.

15. Fitch Slap
    9:30 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

“If we would’ve won more and didn’t lose in the NIT when I was at Kentucky, I wouldn’t have been sent to the D-League.” – Archie Goodwin, probably

16. Terry Blue
    9:30 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

I wouldn’t classify Obama as a thug:Unqualified to be President, incompetent, arrogant, divorced from reality are more apt and appropriate

• Terry, see my reply to comment #7 (to Buckets actually). I’d say he meets the definition of a thug.

• Plenty
      5:04 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

The definition of a thug is a violent person or a criminal. Since he has never been charged or convicted of either, he does meet the definition. Durrrr, I watch Fox News, me know politics. Fn dumb idiots.

17. Costa Rica
    9:52 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

Elam and another flip for the last two scholies.

18. Chase Jackson
    10:18 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

Jacob Hyde!!! Ats my boy!! Clay County Representing!!!

19. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    12:06 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

If I missed any talking points let me know. I don’t have my Rush Limbaugh playbook handy-But I think I have it pretty well-memorized. Oh wait; two more things-Obama is a Socialist and he wasn’t born in this country. That should do it.

• The Professor
      1:09 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Below is a quote you might heed..

“Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt”

• Nice try. I’m the real “cginwttd” and this comment was posted by an impostor.

Say what you will about talking points, but the truth is the truth. I noticed you responded to NOT ONE of my accusations, because you can’t.

• The Professor
      8:20 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

If I were to argue with a lunatic, what does that make me?

20. Glenna
    12:58 pm January 25, 2014 Permalink

I am shocked at some of the comments on this board. The governor, the major general and our coach and two of our players care enough to talk to our brave troops overseas and the wack jobs out there do not thank them and appreciate their patriotism and caring, but denigrate them. What have you idiots done lately for other people?