Matt Jones dusted off the old podcast equipment to sit down with his good friend Tony Vanetti for an hour-long conversation about his chaotic summer. As Matt approaches his deadline to decide if he will run for Senate in the 2020 election, he shares what has gone into the decision-making process and why it has been the most stressful month of his life. Highlights:

— Matt is officially smitten.

— “Don’t send that Tweet.”

— When Matt learned Amy McGrath was running for Senate.

— “Very few people actually have to fight Darth Vader.”

— The tumultuous day Matt was taken off of Hey Kentucky.

— Why no matter what he decides, there will be regrets.

Streaming online is simple through Spotify or you can get it sent directly to your phone by subscribing to The Matt Jones Podcast on iTunes.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by KSR

40 Comments for The Matt Jones Podcast Ep. 68: Tony Vanetti Discusses Matt’s Potential Senate Campaign

1. SanDiegoDave
    8:05 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Matt,
    I don’t know you. However, I am confident you can and will do a better job than McConnell. What’s going on in Washington is an absolute nightmare and McConnell has proven to be the worst Senator in American history.

• Cousins Fake Tooth
      9:01 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

100% you are a liberal I am sure.

• JerryCat
      9:42 am August 13, 2019 Permalink

You do realize “liberal” is not a derogatory term? If you’re trying to insult the guy, libtard or democ rat packs a stronger punch

• njcat54
      10:05 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

DanDiegoDave -> truth. Sadly most Kentuckians have never left the state, so have no idea how blind they are.

• TBW3011
      10:26 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

????yep. Just hilljack peons right? You left wing clowns keep thinking that about middle America and meanwhile we’ll enjoy kicking your asses

• TBW3011
      10:25 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

????

• JerryCat
      10:36 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

It’s funny how brainwashed “middle America” is by referring to Mitch McConnell as “we”. He has no interest in helping you or the state of Kentucky

• Bruce Dickinson
      10:48 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Democrats are for post birth abortion. Hillary Clinton has spoken highly of Margaret Sanger.

2. neat1ky
    8:26 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

As a liberal I can see why u hate Mitch because he stands up to corrupt people like Schumer Pelosi Waters Cummins do nothing Yarmuth and too many too name. As a conservative who loves this country I’m glad he wants borders better economy making our nato allies pay their share and change to better healthcare than Obama care that is bankrupting our states and don’t give its put all these people on healthcare, they were there before such as Medicare Medicaid passport as I work in the medical field I saw it every day and once people moved to the Obama care their rates went up as mine did.We have a better Supreme Court and less baby killing so keep hating Mitch, I love it

• njcat54
      9:02 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

lol

3. JerryCat
    8:35 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

You got me fired up Matt. Do this

4. Looother
    8:43 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

I might vote for a Democ Rat if they weren’t so irresponsible, dishonest, incompetent, corrupt, intolerant, entitled, greedy, unaccountable, hysterical, hostile, hateful, sanctimonious, racist hypocrites…

• Bruce Dickinson
      10:34 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

If people don’t think the democrats are racist, just ask Daniel Cameron.

• JerryCat
      9:41 am August 13, 2019 Permalink

All democrats must be racist if one black person says they are! (sarcasm)

• Bruce Dickinson
      9:48 am August 13, 2019 Permalink

Or if 2 elected democratic officials dressed up in black face(no sarcasm)

5. magicat13
    8:57 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Neat1ky, you are an absolute nutcase. Moscow Mitch is more corrupt than trump and is nothing but an obstructionist. Stop with the baby killing crap when you condone the Antichrist trump who has no Christian views or values according to the Bible. Quit drinking the koodaid and see what’s right in front of you. The GOP are a cult and bunch of racist.

• njcat54
      9:17 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

GOP and Mitch are great if you like tax cuts for the rich, trillions of added debt (during an expanding economy), tariffs, polluted air and water, kids orphaned by the state, no access to healthcare, cuts to social security, Medicare, and Medicaid, high drug prices, and an ever more destabilized world. The rise of the right here and in Europe threatens the global economy and global security. You will also like them if you have no respect for the rule of law, science, or the institutions that helped build our great country – free and fair elections, a free press and an independent judiciary.

Great for billionaires, oil companies and defense contractors though… I’ll give you that. After all, they paid for it.

• neat1ky
      9:38 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Your right there’s no rich dems like Clintons Sanders top 10 billionaires and millionaires in America and that’s not including professional athletes Hollywood celebs music people I think u need to quit living in last 40-50 years. By the way my tax cuts came thru the yr with each pay check because they were larger and I’m far from being rich. I hope Matt stays with KSR where he belongs

• njcat54
      10:02 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Ya… all $22.95 a paycheck. That’s 7 gallons of gas. Big deal. 95% of the cuts went to the top 5% and corporations. Meanwhile your grandkids are left to pay the bill. $2T in deficits (a 33% increase over Obama’s last year) and climbing since the dunce in the WH took over.

• JerryCat
      9:38 am August 13, 2019 Permalink

I believe you missed his point

• TBW3011
      10:29 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Moscow. Lol. ?

6. Cousins Fake Tooth
    9:02 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Yeah nope, not getting my vote.

7. VirginiaCat
    9:11 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

I haven’t listened to the podcast and I don’t have insights into Kentucky politics, but knowledge has never stopped me from offering an opinion. I think there are three things that suggest that the timing is dubious for a senate fun. Matt is a liberal in a mostly conservative state, he would be running against an incumbent with all the advantages that incumbency offers, and he would first have to beat a female Marine fighter pilot who already has name recognition from an earlier campaign. It likely that McGrath would have a significant advantage with respect to a campaign war chest. Even if Matt beat McGrath, it’s likely this would drive a wedge in the democratic party and squelch democratic voter turnout. It seems to me like a bridge too far. I would counsel Matt to temper his ambition and wait for a better opportunity.

• TBW3011
      10:30 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

If Matt is worried about beating McGrath in this state then thinking he can beat Mitch is the most delusional thing I’ve ever seen in my life.

8. UKCatAttack
    9:17 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Thanks for leaving the comment section open. Whoever posted this will probably get fired for forgetting to turn them off. I hope Matt sticks with KSR and doesn’t run, I don’t believe he can win without the backing of the national party and I don’t see a reason to destroy the KSR dynasty for nothing. .

9. neat1ky
    9:27 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

magicat13 really Moscowmitch, guess whos drinking the koolaid. I guess u forgot Hillary selling uranium to Russia or something called Steel Dossier or all the time good ole Bill gave talks over there for big money and I guess baby killing party has lost its consciousness so u belong as one that is in the medical field I sleep at nite clear conscience saving lives

• njcat54
      9:45 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Here we go with the Uranium 1 guys again. You do know that Faux news is primarily about spewing ludicrous conspiracy theories for the gullible. Seth Rich anyone? Anyone???

Proof positive of KY’s national ranking in education.

10. RoseStCat
    9:36 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

I know a lot of people that really like listening to the show. None of those people would vote for Matt Jones. We like the show because it’s entertaining and it’s about UK sports. I have turned off so many shows lately because Matt has turned this thing into a gi

• RoseStCat
      9:39 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

gigantic showcase of Matt’s gigantic ego.

• TBW3011
      10:33 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Agree 100%. Love the show. Wouldn’t vote for him in a million years. He’s miscalculating badly if he thinks he can win because of the show. He’s also way overestimating the audience. This state loves hoops and KSR is the biggest radio show in the state, but the large majority of this state has never heard of Matt or KSR. Not seeing the forest for the trees.

11. njcat54
    9:50 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Matt’s gonna do what Matt wants to do, but VirginiaCat has it right… the timing sucks. No doubt Matt would be good for KY, but so would McGrath. He can help her be successful.

And no one, well mostly no one, wants his shows to end. I haven’t missed a podcast in years and would really hear all that goofiness every single day.

12. TBW3011
    10:28 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Run Matt. Please. Your ego needs deflated and you running will certainly accomplish that.

13. neat1ky
    10:30 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Really njcat54 your that stupid. The uranium deal has been out there for awhile. You need to quit drinking that sewer water in NJ. Maybe u r on the Soros payroll. No wonder u believe Warren is part Indian and Sanders understands the middle class with his expensive homes. Hope that koolaid is worth it

14. MoscowMitchtheMassacreB!+(]-[McConnell
    11:01 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Guys quit fighting over me we got this. The NRA and other big businesses will pay for my campaign and attack ads. And if all else fails I’ve squashed the anti-interference laws so our new friends over seas can guarantee me and Trumps dictatorship. And if they still beat me and Trump he’ll just declare martial law and nullify the vote.

15. UKFanSC
    8:28 am August 13, 2019 Permalink

I remember the good old days when Matt talked about Kentucky sports in the most ridiculous manner possible. No need to take that approach in politics

• UKFanSC
      12:45 pm August 13, 2019 Permalink

As you have missed mine

16. @GoCayts
    8:39 am August 13, 2019 Permalink

Great comment section. This reminds me of all the people I’ve blocked on social media. All these libtard, Democ Rat, Russian, baby killing, right handed, right winged, corrupt pedophile killers… I have no idea how people keep up with this stuff and who’s on which side without hardly ever talking about an actual issue.

• UKFanSC
      9:16 am August 13, 2019 Permalink

Maybe a good approach would be to stick to sports and leave politics to the enlightened few…..like you apparently.

• JerryCat
      9:37 am August 13, 2019 Permalink

I believe you missed his point

17. SanDiegoDave
    7:05 pm August 14, 2019 Permalink

For those who feel it is OK to personally attack others for thinking a bit differently than you, when did you decide to throw away your values and support people who obviously are morally bankrupt? Donald Trump cares about one thing and one thing only: Donald Trump. He has consistently demonstrated that he has no concern for you, me, or anyone else. Heck, he actually said his daughter, Melania, is hot and he would do her. WTF is that? How would you feel if the authorities came into your home or school, took your entire family into custody, separated your children from you, and locked you all up in cages? Who is Trump’s #1 supporter for spewing inflammatory lies about almost everyone, regardless of political affiliation, sexual orientation, race, religion, sex? Mitch McConnell. To borrow from the movie The American President, this country has serious problems and we need serious people to solve those problems. I’ve been around long enough to see how our country’s leaders worked together to truly make America great. Ronald Reagan, our greatest president during my lifetime, worked with Tip O’Neill to bring stability and peace to the world, which brought security to our country. America was a shining light of hope for everyone, especially those in our 50 states. Do you really think Trump and McConnell are doing that? I don’t care who our next president and Kentucky senator are as long as they are someone other than those two jack wads.