The KSR Summer Tour kicks off in Louisville (Thursday Show Thread)

Image result for academy sports and outdoors louisville kentucky

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you from the Academy Sports and Outdoors in Louisville (4901 Outer Loop Drive) on Day 1 of the KSR Summer Tour. Come on out to enjoy the show and hear Matt and the gang discuss last night’s draft decisions, the latest on Stanford grad transfer Reid Travis, and much, much more.

Here’s the rest of the schedule for part one of the summer tour:

• Friday, June 1 – Pikeville – Sleep Outfitters (115 Lee Ave.)
  • Wednesday, June 6 – Liberty – McKinnie-Brown Funeral Home (752 Campbellsville Street)
  • Thursday, June 7 – Bowling Green – Chaney’s Dairy Barn (9191 Nashville Road)
  • Friday, June 8 – Lexington – KSR Golf Scramble @ University Club (4850 Leestown Road)
  • Wednesday, June 13 – Richmond – Dreaming Creek Brewery (109 E. Irvine Street)
  • Thursday, June 14 – Danville – Dexter Insurance (461 West Main Street)
  • Friday, June 15 – Lexington – Rockhouse Brewing (119 Luigart Court)

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

77 Comments for The KSR Summer Tour kicks off in Louisville (Thursday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:02 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Glad about PJ. Sad about Wenyen. Meh about Jarred. He was quite a rebounder, but all the “I’m ready to play, I’m not playing, I’m not injured, actually I am” drama is the second thing I’ll remember him for. Hope we get Travis to put the finishing touches on this team.

• RealCatsFan
      10:08 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Yep, I am very sad to see Wenyen leaving us – he was one of my favorites on the team. Guess I’ll have to “dry my tears”. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      10:09 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Yep, we have 3 paint players; hope we can get Travis, we’re a little thin.
      But I don’t count chickens til they hatch.

• Jarred’s ball handling and passing though. It was on fire. (I wish I could insert the fire emoji here)

• Realme
      10:16 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

True, Chris. If he can get healthy and find his shot, he can be really good at the next level.

• J-Dub421
      10:21 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

I worry about Vanderbilt listening to the wrong people. He is very talented, but I worry that those around him don’t have his best interests at heart.

• ClutchCargo
      10:37 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

This actually worked out for the best, I think. If Vanderbilt did come back, who’s to say it wouldn’t just be a repeat of last year for him. But he really has the “it” factor, if he can just get healthy. PJ was the one the team needed the most, and I’m a little sad to see WG leaving for wherever he ends up.

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

I’m sad to see Wenyen leave because I really like the kid. He’s such a ray of sunshine.

• runningunnin.454
      11:29 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Yup, contagious smile; really hope he comes back to get the degree.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:11 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Glad we have PJ coming back, and hope we get that grad transfer, but I will have to be convinced that we are a legitimate FF contender by some stellar play in the early season to get at all excited about this team. Another year with no upperclassmen – ugh. It’s becoming a trend, unfortunately, and I think Cal is going to have to figure out a way to get some kids to hang around if he really wants a shot at #9.

• I totally agree. So this year we lose:

Hami
      Knox
      Shai
      Wenyen
      Jarred

Five man. Count ’em five. We lost five from a team that only made the Sweet 16. And who knows how close PJ came? We need the Stanford dude.

• KYcats11
      10:19 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Agree. Though Wenyen and Terrence Jones don’t have similar play styles, I think Wenyen can be that type of leader and bring that energy for a championship squad.

• KYcats11
      10:27 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Could be*

• ClutchCargo
      10:39 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

P.J. Washington actually reminds me a lot of Terrence Jones.

• RealCatsFan
      11:38 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Clutch, he definitely appears to be channeling his inner TJones when he flexes. 🙂

3. Liberty, where my mom is from (farm girl) and where we used to go to visit my grandparents and one of my aunts and her fam. We loved playing in that old barn on my grandparents farm.
    *sniff*
    #memories

4. runningunnin.454
    10:17 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Hard to believe we lost 5 from a team that lost to a mediocre team in the tournament. Only Knox will see meaningful minutes in the League.

• Great minds think alike. But I don’t know near as many of them fancy 10 dollar words as you do.

• J-Dub421
      10:23 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

I think Shai will be good. He has the skills and the size and is a very hard worker.

• KYcats11
      10:30 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Agree with J Dub. Shai has the tools to be a really solid player in the league. I doubt he’ll ever be a super star though.

• J-Dub421
      10:33 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Knox needs to be more aggressive as a player, but that will probably come with age. He’s very young, and maybe a little too nice.

I could easily see Shai being a starter in the NBA.

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

It just goes to show that at Kentucky you can NEVER assume that a kid is not going to leave for the NBA. 🙁

• J-Dub421
      11:00 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

This may sound crazy, but I think Hami will do better in the NBA than people think he will (kind of like Skal). He’ll have more freedom of movement. All those times he got called for bogus charges won’t happen in the league, they’ll just let him dunk on on people’s faces because it puts butts in seats.

• ClutchCargo
      11:05 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Hami will have to learn to play D if he ever wants to see the floor in the NBA. And his lack of ability to consistently knock down open shots will be a big problem for him. Maybe he fixes that, though.

• J-Dub421
      11:28 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

According to our coaching staff Hami is a hard worker, so I think he’ll get there.

• Realme
      11:32 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Hami showed a couple flashes, this season, of the defensive player he’s capable of becoming.

5. Realme
    10:17 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

I guess technically, Jarred’s entourage was right. He played, he got hurt again, and now his future status is in question.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

It reminds me of Sam Bowie. No team is going to take the chance that Portland did.

• Booby Petrino
      10:23 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Not trying to be mean, but if you can’t hang with college kids without getting injured, do you really think you can play with grown men and stay healthy? Best of luck to the kid, he’s going to need it.

• Wade
      11:57 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

And it’s double the workload in the nba more games more workouts no breaks and when someone is paying for your services you don’t get to sit. If doctors clear you then you must work!

6. runningunnin.454
    10:28 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Today is National “Speak in complete sentences” day.
    No Twitter.

• J-Dub421
      10:31 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

That’s everyday for me. I am one of those jerks who texts in complete sentences with proper punctuation and everything.

• Realme
      10:34 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

I text and tweet in complete sentences, except when I’m, texting my husband, which can be borderline gibberish, but I know he can figure out what I mean.

• Dem rulz from RG do. JK!

Okay, just kidding!!!

• RealCatsFan
      10:43 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

“It deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset cna be a toatl mses and oyu can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod sa a wlohe.”

• ClutchCargo
      10:44 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

“No Twitter.” That “complete sentences thing didn’t last very long. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      10:45 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Today is also “National Donut Day”, and most importantly, my older daughter’s Sweet Sixteen Birthday. 🙂 (Disclaimer – enjoy driving on the streets while it is safe – it won’t be for much longer. 🙂 )

• runningunnin.454
      10:45 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

So your husband can translate the gibberish that shows up on the KSR comment sections after a loss…some of it makes my head hurt.

• Realme
      10:47 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Nah, no one can make sense of that stuff.

• ClutchCargo
      10:48 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

My teenage daughter actually thinks it’s kind of offensive when I end a sentence in a text with any punctuation at all. I’m ok with leaving those open ended, but questions with no question mark still don’t look right to me.

• Realme
      10:48 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

That’s a big one, RCF! Best wishes to you in this time of stress.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

I can read that RCF, but it makes my brain hurt.

• runningunnin.454
      10:54 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

RCF, don’t forget to have the passenger side brakes installed before she gets behind the wheel.

• Driver’s ed memories. lol

Ppl who don’t use punctuation, especially in a long paragraph, should be banned from having a computer or any other device that allows commenting. Mix in a period!

Clutch, are you serious? That’s so weird.

• RealCatsFan
      11:15 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

RG, the passenger side brakes are in place from when Mrs. RCF is driving. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      11:19 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

LOL, I hear that.

7. Realme
    10:31 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

The basketball program does a video feature on each player, with interviews, every season. Last year they made a podcast version that wasn’t as good.

8. J-Dub421
    10:41 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Twitter is a haven for a**holes.

9. Realme
    10:44 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Twitter also has some very special content. Like the Laurel/Yanny style video that says what do you hear, Louisville or Cardinals? Then you press play and it’s a voice saying “Garbage”.

In all seriousness, it is a fabulous way to watch games and converse with like minded people, and to get up to the minute sports news.

10. runningunnin.454
    11:23 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Just not confident about Travis.
    Both Duke and ‘Nova have a spot for him; and, he originally considered Duke coming out of HS.

• J-Dub421
      11:54 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Hot Take: I don’t think Villanova will be very good next season. They are losing 4 of their top 6 players and Jay Wright takes time to build teams and implement his system.

11. runningunnin.454
    11:30 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

JUST SAY NO TO….Loosiers.

• RealCatsFan
      11:32 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Sadly, I don’t get the feeling that Archie Miller will be nearly as easy to make fun of as Crean was – and Davis before him. Maybe he will sweat like a pig the way his brother does.

• Realme
      11:33 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Agree, why expose ourselves to their cooties?

• runningunnin.454
      11:34 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Did you see the article about Crean? He’s going to get all of Cal’s recruits…oh no.

• J-Dub421
      11:47 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Ashton Hagans seems to indicate otherwise.

• ClutchCargo
      11:48 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

I guess he just spotted us Ashton Hagans to make it fair. Hahaha!

12. ukbradstith
    11:34 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Give me IU over anybody. I live in Southern Indiana, grew up in Louisville, and for a large chunk of my life that was/is the game I most look forward too. Plus they’ll be better than UL for the foreseeable future. I was also one of the few UK fans at the game the last time we played at IU, so I’m scarred for life. I’d still be in favor of going back. I’d like to see home/home/neutral rotation.

• runningunnin.454
      11:37 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Did you get trampled?

• J-Dub421
      11:48 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Let me know when IU is relevant again, but I really don’t feel like playing them until then.

• runningunnin.454
      11:54 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

I agree, and if IU gets decent, you can bet we will get them in the tournament.

• ukbradstith
      11:54 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

No, I was up a little too high to get trampled. But I have plenty of good stories about that day. All the harassment stories you hear are true though, I can promise you that. And IU will be top 25 next year, so that’s relevant enough.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:40 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

NBA finals are stale. Reminds me of women’s college basketball when it was UConn winning it every year. We need to break up the Warriors Death Star to make things interesting again.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:52 am May 31, 2018 Permalink

Matt is right about flying on those small planes. The scariest plane ride I had was on a little puddle jumper from Louisville to Cinci. We were flying out of a heavy thunderstorm and the plane started yawing. I can handle the up and down roller coaster, but when the damned thing starts going side to side like it wants to swap ends I get nervous.