The KSR Tour Across America rolls into Wichita (Monday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from the Pie Five Pizza (334 South Ridge Road) in Wichita, Kansas.

Matt, Ryan, Shannon, and Drew are a day and a half in to the KSR Tour Across America and after watching the Chiefs/Bills game at Arrowhead Stadium yesterday, are ready to talk C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS in Wichita.

If you’re in the area, go say hello, or join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

69 Comments for The KSR Tour Across America rolls into Wichita (Monday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:47 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Dissapointing season for sure… I would still be up for a bowl game, but nobody would go.

Not suprised on Towels. Wonder where he will go?

So what is up with that UL Matt Jones?

2. To Patrick Towles:
    I have no idea if you will see this (I didn’t see the post about your transfer until late last night), but best of luck to you dude! Thanks for all you did for UK and I hope you tear it up wherever you land (in the NFL as well as another school). I hate that things didn’t work out the way we all hoped.

To the 3 or 4 of you who constantly threaten one another and bicker in an over the top way (you know who you are so I don’t need to mention screen names):
    Please, just stop it! We’re supposed to be for the same team (although there is 1 of you that I’m not convinced is actually a UK fan). Check out the photo of Derrick Henry and Tray Matthews in the story below. And we have “fans” of ostensibly the same team that challenge one another to meet in a parking lot?

• I forgot to add: life is too short for that kind of thing. I’m not happy with our football season either, but it’s SPORTS. Please folks, just lighten up a bit.

• J-Dub421
      10:10 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Amen to this. Well said.

• Long Dong Silver
      10:43 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Yes. Let’s all just move on. It’s time for basketball, finally.

3. houndstooth
    10:04 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Matt
    Tell the story about the run in with U of L Matt jones at the ball game saturday night- I heard the press box got a little heated.

4. Realme
    10:14 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

I’m not angry about football, but I’m also not sure how I could ever get excited for next year (but I will, I always do). Feel bad for Patrick, think he was a bit of a scapegoat, as will some other players and coaches be. After reading Josh Forrest’s comments about not being prepared for Jackson, and all the weird moments in games this season I don’t feel a lot of confidence in the staff.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

What I am seeing with this team is a general lack of respect with the coaching staff. These kids are not stupid – they recognize incompetence, confusion, and disorganization. That leads to general discontent and lack of discipline. Look at a really good, cohesive team – those players will run through walls for their coach. This bunch would not run through tissue paper.

• RealCatsFan
      10:19 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

I meant lack of respect FOR the coaching staff.

6. CATilactica
    10:22 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Put mark richt on the staff. Make him OC. Big ties in one of the hottest recruiting beds and his players are generally loyal to him. Stoops is in over his head. Having another person with HC experience won’t hurt

• RealCatsFan
      10:27 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Can’t imagine Richt taking a step down to an OC at UK, when he will probably have plenty of head coaching offers from major programs coming his way. Maybe we should make him head coach and demote Stoops to DC. 🙂

• Laker Cat 18
      10:40 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Here is Mark Richt for you.

• Laker Cat, I don’t think that was that big a deal. It’s not like Richt told them to start a fight. Matt said the other day he thinks our coaching staff green lit the players starting the pregame fight against UL last year.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:19 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

I know what you mean, but a situation like that can go wrong very quickly in the heat of the moment. It didn’t, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t have. I like Richt, I just didn’t think that was one of his best moments. All it would have taken was one Gator getting pissed off and swinging, then brawl ensues, then Richt gets suspended.

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:36 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

The coaching staff better be very worried about keeping the 2016 class together. I knew about Towles before it was released from a very reliable source. His transfer is not really what surprised me the most, it was his possible destination. It will not be a loved decision by the BBN if it comes to be true.

• Realme
      10:40 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

If you’re talking about Duke, that’s already out there. If you’re talking about Louisville, he’s dead to me. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      10:43 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Realme, can’t see him going to Louisville – there are already two QB’s on their team who would be ahead of him for PT.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:46 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Duke is what I was told as well. Can’t blame him. Cutcliffe has produced NFL level QB’s.

• Realme
      10:46 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Thanks, RCF. I know that. Just joking based on LC’s comment about where Patrick might go taht we wouldn’t like.

• Realme
      10:47 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

LC if that is what will get his future back on track, I’m fine with him going to Duke.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:50 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

I read encouraging comments from Duke fans on another site inviting him over. Duke FB means nada to me so I would only wish him luck.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:53 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Duke football is bowl eligible. He would be a nice pick-up for them. He’s better than he showed at UK.

• I hope it’s not UL. If so, I retract what I said above.
      Just kidding! If he wound up there, I would pull for him to score 40 a game (except against UK) but for their defense to go south and give up 50 a game…60 to UK. 😉

• Laker Cat 18
      10:56 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

We may still need 61 to win that one.

• RealCatsFan
      11:12 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Wasn’t Cutliffe on the list of possible UK coaches when Joker was fired? Seems like I recall that a lot of fans were lukewarm on him at best. Turns out it might have been a good hire, although it’s much easier to look good in the ACC than in the SEC.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:16 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

That’s a good question. Seems like there was some talk about him, but I can’t recall exactly how hot we were for him. I heard him speak at a Nike Coach of the Year clinic. He knows what he’s doing. Also heard Dawson at the same clinic and he seemed to know what he was doing as well. At the end of the day Cutcliffe is producing…and at a basketball school at that.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:36 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

As critical as I have been regarding Dawson, if he could own up to his failures and articulate a clear and different path to success, I could get behind him again. It will take some serious changes in attitude and philosophy but such metamorphoses are not unheard of.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:39 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Cat – I agree with you 100%. It’s not out of the realm of possibility, but changes need to be made. We need tougher players who are team players as well to go along with that.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:45 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

I’m thinking about making up a UK Football shirt with a picture of Lucy pulling the football on Charlie Brown – with CB wearing a UK football jersey. 🙂

9. MandiLawson89
    10:45 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

I think Shannon is the most relaxed “Dude” after his 30 minute shower!

10. Laker Cat 18
    10:54 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Coach Dawson needs a dual-threat QB. I know he doesn’t like it with his system, but it wins college football games. Make the change or be fine being a mediocre OC.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:56 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

He had a dual-threat in Towles. ..he admitted up front that he didn’t want Pat running, admitted he didn’t like the Wildcat. ..his creativity is non-existent.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:57 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Exactly.

• Realme
      11:06 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Are any of our QB commitments dual threat?

• Laker Cat 18
      11:13 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Hoak (16) is a Pro-style.

Jones (17) is Pro-style and Wood is a Dual.

They also have Hughes (16) who is coming in as an athlete, but has played QB before. I don’t see him taking snaps at UK unless it’s a wildcat type scenario.

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

C&M nailed it – last year, Towles was a pretty good scrambler and often made great gains after being flushed out of the pocket. This year he often went into a safety slide before even getting the first down, when many times a simple spin move would get that critical extra yard or two.

11. CATandMONKEY
    10:54 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Axe the OC.

12. Laker Cat 18
    10:59 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Somewhere in Pulaski County after the game Saturday, Riley Hall was shaking his head. I hope the staff makes the trip to WKU this coming weekend to see all the homegrown “winners” needed to make this program work.

13. WesHos
    11:04 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

I think you keep the coordinators and the OL coach. Gotta run the WR coach out of town. When dropping passes is an epidemic like it is on our team something is not happening at practice. The biggest problem I see with this team is a lack of discipline and that is on the head coach.

• RealCatsFan
      11:22 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

No way I would want to keep Dawson if what our LB said is true – that they didn’t even prepare for Jackson.

• WesHos
      11:30 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Yes, but Dawson is the OC…

14. kycats13
    11:07 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

There are better coaches in the Kentucky High School playoffs.

15. Realme
    11:09 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

I still don’t understand why after being beat by teams that play multiple quarterbacks several times this season, we have to pick one and make it “his team”. Why not develop more than one look to throw out there based on the strengths of whatever team we’re playing, or how a game is going.

• Realme
      11:10 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

*not that that was our problem this year. Just something on my mind.

• Long Dong Silver
      11:17 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

I agree. Most of us who wanted to see Barker get a look didn’t mean it had to be one or the other between Towles and Barker. They were both on the team.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:28 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

LDS, Solid, even-keeled comment. I think of the Gators when they played multiple QBs with pretty fair success. Why Not?

• Long Dong Silver
      11:32 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Thank you. The fault lies with the coaches. They didn’t handle it correctly.

• kycats13
      11:34 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

That would require thought from the coaching staff.

16. J-Dub421
    11:12 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Captain Suntan, lol. That reminds me of Captain Sweatpants from The Big Bang Theory.

17. Long Dong Silver
    11:15 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

John Ramsey is an old man. And very small. Yes, he works out, but he’s still just a little guy. Classic Little Man Syndrome. He needs to settle down.

18. CATandMONKEY
    11:15 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Ramsey loves his supplements. I know him personally from WRKA. His brother is a far better human being. Nobody at RKA liked John, back in the day. Prima Donna doesn’t even begin to describe him. I used to think he was at least ” ok” but recent years have shown him to be admiral of the douche canoe armada.

19. CATandMONKEY
    11:18 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Testosterone supplements lead to sweating.

• RealCatsFan
      11:21 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Not to mention severe acne on your back and “shrinkage” in other areas. 🙂

20. RealCatsFan
    11:20 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

That SEC money might not always be as good, with dwindling attendance across the board and possible changes coming down the pike for Cable and satellite packages. Lots of talk that NBA salaries may suffer in the future as well.

21. Bluehaired
    11:21 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Where is the show going to be Thursday morning in the LA area?

22. RealCatsFan
    11:26 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Just because UGA will have a new coach at the helm does not make it a winnable game. Same can be said for Mizzou or USC. Florida is exhibit A.

23. CATandMONKEY
    11:30 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Awesome segue into Harry’s Razors.

24. houndstooth
    11:37 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

I thought matt made the bet with Lou without the basketball game?

25. cats paw
    11:39 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

The fact the UK football brings in more $$ than basketball does not mean it’s more popular! It would bring in more $$ if not a single fan showed up to a game (simply because it’s affiliation with the Other GOOD football teams in the conference which provides the money). Our football program is a pathetic joke and doesn’t even compare to basketball when it comes fan popularity.

• houndstooth
      11:46 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think that is correct. Football team has always brought in more money just because of the CWS seat capacity, pay for parking (which they don’t get in basketball), and their sponsors. Yes our team is bad but football still pays the bills for all the other sports and it’s not even close- bonus is we get money from other teams going to bowls.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:48 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

An objective, fact-based , reality oriented, comment with no agenda-driven bias. Hallelujah.

26. J-Dub421
    11:42 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

U of L doesn’t have the best recruiting class in the state in basketball, much less in the country.

• cats paw
      11:48 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Weren’t you arguing with me a couple months ago saying that UofL would not be a top 25 team this year? Thought so…

• RealCatsFan
      11:57 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

Sorry cp, but being in the “others receiving votes” does not count as being in the top-25. Louisville is better than expected, but they have not played anyone of any caliber so far. If they beat MSU, then come talk to us.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:00 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

CP, you made a decent comment above, then follow up with a Non-sequitur. Regardless of how they play, UofL ‘s recruiting class isn’t even sniffing the top 10. JDub is correct. The two can be, and are mutually exclusive. If Rick’s recruits go on to the National Championship and those guys get 3 first-round draft picks then we may consider them one of the top recruiting classes. It would take at LEAST that level of accomplishment for Pitino’s statement to have any veracity.

• J-Dub421
      12:03 pm November 30, 2015 Permalink

U of L still isn’t ranked, so what’s your point? Prepare to enjoy your eighth loss to us in nine games though.

27. Laker Cat 18
    11:50 am November 30, 2015 Permalink

What is Matt’s email address?

• houndstooth