Welcome to the new look KSR! After talking about it for years, we finally did it, altering the traditional KSR look slightly and moving from 1995 internet technology to at least 1999. What you see on the site now represents step 1 of what will be a multi-step change in your viewing experience on KSR. Steps 2-4 will include changes to the comment section, additional features (video/picture) and a diary system for users, but for now, what you see represents our first change since the site started in Hubby’s basement 8 years ago. The core of the site is the same…all the main posts and writing is on the front page and will remain there, for you to easily scroll down and read. But now there are a few others things for you to see as well.
There are essentially five major changes you should be made aware of:
1. THE LOOK: Simply put, we added blue to the site. After years of grey and open white space, we decided to change it up a bit, add blue and alter the ad placement slightly. What you have is a more conventional, one column site look and a blue background for you to enjoy. We still have the pictures up and the site mobility is the same…simply scroll to the bottom for the news. You will just now see the UK colors instead of boring grey.
2. CATEGORIES: One major change is the addition of the categories you see above. We have created eight categories for you to find particular posts that you are interested in. Do you only want basketball? Then click the basketball category and everything else will be filtered out except basketball…similarly, you can do the same for football, or the other eight areas. This means there will be no reason to complain, “HEY I DONT LIKE WHEN YOU WRITE ABOUT xxxx”…you can filter it out with the categories to only see the sport (or sports) that you particularly care about.
3. NEW CONTENT IN THE CATEGORIES: If you click on the categories button, beginning next week you will see more in-depth writing about the sports than what is on the front page…simply put, we know that not every reader of KSR cares about a full transcript of Mark Stoops’ practice comments or in-depth detail on the nuances of Marcus Lee’s jump shot. Thus more detail on each sport, including recruiting details, will be available under the categories. We have added a number of new writers that will be posting solely in these special areas…while the main writers and the front of KSR is the same, simply put, there will be more posts in these categories. Plus we have incorporated the KSR College writer’s work on the secondary sports under the “Other Sports” heading onto the main site. If you click on these categories, there will be more to read.
4. TWO NEW BLOGS: We have added two new blogs (and will be adding a third) that have never been on KSR before…”Matt’s Blog” is what it says…it is me writing about not only UK sports, but also other things that cross his mind. While I still may sneak things on the main page, this will be where I write all the stuff that makes the comment section people explode (inside tidbits, behind the scenes stuff on trips, maybe even (gasp!) a political joke or two)…it will basically be what the site used to be in its first two years…a journal that I use to write about whatever I want. Also the “FUNKHOUSER” blog (named for both the UK Admissions building and my favorite character on “Curb Your Enthusiasm”) will be the site’s Pop Culture page…here Tomlin, John Wilkinson, Drew, Matt. Tyler, Ally and a host of new writers that you haven’t yet met will be writing about non-UK stuff. It won’t kick in for a week or so, but I think you guys will like it and Tomlin will be the Editor in Chief. I expect gold coming from this mine often.
5. TOP THREE STORIES: One of the major complaints we get about the site is that when there is a substantive story or a good post (like the Drew Barker Diaries), it goes away after 12 hours or so…not any more. The “top 3” links at the top will allow you to easily find the top three stories of the last couple of days…we think it is a way to make sure the most important stuff stays fresh and is easily found. And if you are the kind who only has a minute to come to the site, you can check there and know that anything huge will make an appearance.
In the end, the core feature of KSR…POSTS ON ONE PAGE that you can scroll and see them all is still here. We have just added extra stuff for those that are interested. We know many of you will only visit the main page, and for those folks, we appreciate it. But if you like UK stuff in more depth, are interested in life beyond the UK sports world or just like to laugh at our bizarre stories/jokes, then you will see more of it in these places. We hope you enjoy the new site and will watch it grow with us…now onto step 2, the comment section, which should be done by March, 2017.