The July Recruiting Period’s Wednesday Morning Wakeup

Good morning, friends. Can you smell the rubber in the air? Hear the squeak, squeak of sneakers against the hardwood? Feel the desperation radiating off Tom Crean? That’s right, the July Recruiting Period is upon us. From 5 p.m. tonight until 5 p.m. on Sunday, college basketball coaches will criss cross the country and camp out in gyms to watch the nation’s top talent.

Last night, I gave you a primer of what to expect at the Peach Jam, but there are two other events we need to keep our eyes on first. Get another cup of coffee and let’s run through them.

UnderArmour All-American Camp (Charlotte, North Carolina): Today through Friday

This is a new event taking place in Charlotte that will feature plenty of the nation’s top talent, including UK targets Josh Jackson (1Nation), Sacha Killeya-Jones (Team Felton), and DeAndre Ayton (Supreme Court). Depending on which recruiting service you go by, Jackson and Ayton are the #1 players in 2016 and 2017 and both have offers from UK. Ayton will go head to head with Thon Maker tonight.

adidas Uprising Gauntlet (Atlanta, Georgia): Today through Friday

Coaches heading to Augusta for the Peach Jam can get the party started early in Atlanta for adidas’ big event, which will feature two of UK’s biggest targets: Kobi Simmons (Atlanta Celtics) and Rawle Alkins (Team Loaded). Kentucky is considered the favorite for Simmons right now and Calipari visited Alkins Tuesday morning, so this is one event in which Cal won’t have to play catch up.

Nike Peach Jam (North Augusta, South Carolina): Thursday-Sunday

The main event. UK targets include Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Malik Monk, Miles Bridges, Udoka Azubuike, and Marques Bolton. Seriously, just scroll down the page or click here for more info.

In between all of that, I’ll be playing SimCity Build It

I’m officially addicted to the iPhone app, which is giving me some serious flashbacks to playing the original Sim City growing up. I also have a newfound appreciation for mayors across the country. Who knew balancing people’s need for sewage treatment plants and their dislike of living next to them was so intense? I digress…

Aaron Harrison wraps up his Summer League at 1 p.m.

The undrafted twin continues to impress Orlando, putting up 11 points, six rebounds, four assists, three steals, and two blocks in the Hornets’ 64-55 win over the Nets yesterday. Hornets associate head coach Patrick Ewing said Aaron’s been “fantastic”:

“I think he’s doing a fantastic job. He’s running the ball club, he’s taking his shots when he has to and he’s also sharing it with other guys on the team,” Ewing said. “He’s playing a little bit out of position — he’s more of a two-guard — but I think that for him to make an NBA roster I think that’s the position he’s going to have to play; the point.”

Aaron will wrap up his Summer League trial with the Hornets today at 1 p.m. against the Orlando Magic on NBATV.

DeMarcus Cousins will give away more shoes

Late Monday night, Boogie posted a picture of a room full of shoes and announced he’s giving away ten pairs a day until they’re all gone:

Want a pair of Boogie’s kicks? Click here to find out more.

We’ll find out who UK’s representatives for SEC Media Days are

Today, the league will finally announce which players will represent the 14 schools at Media Days in Hoover next week. We already know senior defensive tackle Melvin Lewis will be one of the three UK players attending since he’ll be part of the new “Beyond The Field: Stories of the SEC” program. My guess is Patrick Towles and Josh Forrest join him, although I wouldn’t mind one bit if senior quote machine Cory “Poop” Johnson came instead.

Anybody been to Estes Park, Colorado?

I’m going for my cousin’s wedding this weekend and have never had the pleasure. I’ve only been to Colorado during the winter, so I’m looking forward to exploring the Rockies in the summertime. Craft beer, food, and wildlife recommendations appreciated. (Yes, we are already planning on visiting the New Belgium brewery. And no, I didn’t book a tour soon enough. Sigh.)

KSR’s at Bank 253 in Pikeville

First thing’s first. Pikeville, you ready?

29 Comments for The July Recruiting Period’s Wednesday Morning Wakeup

1. MikeMan
    8:17 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

Make sure you go through Rocky Mtn National Park while you are in Estes Park. Probably pretty obvious, but it is an incredible drive through there and there are some pretty good hiking trails if you’re inclined.

2. Colorado Cat
    8:18 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

Estes Park is beautiful. Take a drive through Rocky Mountain National Park on Trail Ridge Road (highest road in the US). The hotel from The Shining is in Estes Park. Bring a pair of hiking boots and explore some trails. Don’t be fooled. They “try” to make something that resembles Bourbon here. It’s an abomination. Can’t hate ’em for trying, though. Go Cats!

3. 8 god
    8:22 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

Open question for anyone — is the 2016 recruiting outlook really as bad as it seems? Because it sounds to me like Duke is going to be just as stacked as we were last year in 2016-17. And that’s cool because I’m a Duke student, but I would much rather see top talent in Lex.

4. FurdTurgason
    8:23 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

She was born in the summer of her 27th year, comin’ home to a place she’d never been before. She left yesterday behind her, might say she was born again, might say she found the key for every door. And the Colorado Rocky Mountain Hiiiiiigh. I’ve seen it rainin’ fire in the sky. Talk to God and listen to the casual reply. Rocky Mountain Hiiiiiiigh, in Colorado.

5. Justin
    8:38 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

While in Rocky Mtn National Park have your camera and binoculars ready because you will see hundreds of Elk, several deer, moose, and possibly a bear if you are lucky. The moose are most commonly seen on the other side of the continental divide. You can expect it to be cold on top of the Mountain because you will be at 12000 feet. Also-if you are in to pizza then you have to go to a pizza shack in their town where all of their shops are because it is FANTASTIC! I don’t remember the name of it but if you ask around people will know what I am talking about because it’s been there a while.

6. Roddy
    9:13 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

Rocky MTN National park. And take a 2 hour horseback ride from the stables right there in Estes park. I was there a couple months ago. Great place!

7. Coloradocatfan
    9:16 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

The two best microbrews to stop by on your way to Estes Park…Mountain Sun in Boulder and Oscar Blues in Lyons.
    You’ll drive right through both towns from Denver to EP. Have fun!
    If you want an excellent meal…The Kitchen in Boulder.

8. Rocky Mountain High
    9:17 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

Make sure to hit Boulder first…and pick up some of that Colorado’s finest 🙂

• Colorado Cat
      5:58 pm July 9, 2015 Permalink

When in Rome…
      Right?

9. Mark V
    9:24 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

My in-laws live in Estes (he used to teach at UK), so we’re there 2-3 times per year. The pizza place is Poppy’s. I’d also recommend Smokin Dave’s for barbecue – it’s very good. For breakfast, there is a great little donut shack just outside downtown. Get there early – there will be a line and they often sell out by mid morning. There’s public parking on the reservoir end of town.

If you are in to Native American jewelry, Serendipity downtown. Hiking Hut has great clothes. Cool glassmaking shop on edge of downtown.

In the park, Trail Ridge Road takes you up and over the Rockies. Take a camera, you’ll see elk. You’ll see elk by the reservoir in town, too… A good morning hike that won’t kill you – park at Bear Lake (morning, fills up early, there’s a shuttle park area further down the mountain) and hike up to Emerald Lake. It’s amazing.

When you are in the park, be aware of the altitude. You’ll be over 8000 feet, 12,000 at the top of Trail Ridge. It will also be COLD up there. Drink lots and lots of water…

10. Boulder Cat
    9:35 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

Grand Lake is on the other side of the park. You can rent a boat for an hour or two before returning to Estes Park.

11. Mrs. Tyler Thompson
    9:44 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

All of these recs are amazing. Thanks, guys!

• Denver Cat
      10:42 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

You can’t go wrong with any of the above recommendations. The weather looks like it’s going to be choice in Estes this weekend – great news. Hopefully we’ll get to here a little bit about your trip.

Have a blast, Mrs T!!!

12. whodat
    10:03 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

It was mentioned above but in passing. The hotel form the movie The Shining is worth the tour. Of course there is tons of outdoor stuff to do. Many great places too eat in Boulder which has a left wing hippie vibe to it.

13. Jennifer C
    10:30 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

Prepare to dress in layers. The temperature in Estes Park can be sunny and 80 degrees, but once you get above the tree line in Rocky Mountain National Park at the Alpine Visitor Center it can be 40 degrees and misty.

14. Sean
    10:32 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

In Estes there is a small brewery with free samples. I agree with an above go to Oscar Blues in Lyons. Also just 20-25 minutes East is Left Hand in Longmont. Boulder and Denver have great breweries. Upslope and Avery in Boulder. Great Divide or Epic in Denver. There are many others i am leaving out. While in Fort Collins (bummer about New Belgium tour, its awesome and free) you can hit Odell and Fort Collins Brewery. There are so many Brewerys your head will spin.

We go to Penelope’s every time we are in Estes. Old School burgers. Or have a PB&J on a trail or summit.

RMNP is awesome. Many great hikes and Ranger programs. My favorite hike is Longs, however be prepared for 12-14 hours and 5400 ft in elevation gain. There are several easier/shorter hikes. Bear lake is a a popular area with many trails to lakes or falls. A hike around Sprage Lake is always nice. Drive Trail ridges or take Fall River up (one way) to Alpine Visitors Center and Trail Ridge down. A hike up to Flat Top and over to Andrews Glacier is also nice but again a full day.

Enjoy its an awesome place. You wont want to leave.

15. Chris in Los Angeles
    10:33 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

Tyler, forget New Belgium, for craft beer you need to check out Avery brewing in Boulder. They are LEGIT! If you don’t believe me, check them out on your favorite beer rating site (I like ratebeer) and see how many 90s and above beers they have. The Maharaja is great if you are a hop head, but everything they make is good. Don’t pass it up.

16. sincitycat
    11:00 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

While enjoying the legal fun Colorado has to offer remember it is still illegal on the federal level so that includes Rocky Mountain National Park. Trail Ridge Road is one of the most beautiful roads in our country so be sure to drive from Estes Park to Grand Lake. On the west side of the park is your best chance to see moose. From Boulder a great way to get to RMNP is by going west on highway 119 to Nederland and then take highways 72 and 7 into Estes Park. You will have fabulous views of Long’s Peak on this route and you will have the opportunity to enter the Wild Basin part of RMNP. From the Wild Basin parking lot a hike to Ouzel Falls will give you a real treat (5.5 miles round trip). Rocky Mountain National Park is celebrating its 100th anniversary and it is a national treasure.

17. theSkinny81
    11:22 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

I did some fly fishing near Estes Park, on the Big Thompson and Boulder Creek (about a week before they flooded Boulder a few years ago). Beautiful scenery, especially the drive in down 34.

18. John D
    11:49 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

Estes Park is ok and Rocky Mountain is great in the fall when the elk are mating, been there many times in summer and about all I ever see is traffic. Pretty drive but not much wildlife. What you need to do is take 36 into Boulder and check out the CU campus, as hard for me to say as it is might be most beautiful campus in America. Pot shops on every corner if you want to indulge and if you do and need some smoking hot Mexican food check out Efrains Mexican Restaurant. Don’t be fooled by all the hype for Beau Jo’s Pizza not that great. If you are looking for a great Margarita, try the coin style black burro Tahona. Celestial Tea does tours and the mint room is guaranteed to clear any sinus issues you might have.

19. BluKudzu
    12:09 pm July 8, 2015 Permalink

Rocky Mountain National Park is a definate must see. Since there are only a few months where that make the park readily accessible to those not accustomed to High altitude snow and ice hiking/climbing, it will be very, very crowded.

I have been going out to Colorado for several years. I have summited all 53 of the 14ers (mountains that are 14000 foot + in elevation or higher) Some of the most beautiful are not in the front range which RMNP is entirely contained. The most often climbed mountain is Longs Peak in RMNP.

The weather is unreliable at best. If you plan on summits of any of the 13K or 14K mountains, be sure to plan accordingly. You have to leave early (2-3AM) and be off the mountains and below the tree line due to lightning storms. More are killed or injured in the mountains due to lightning than most people realize. Two weeks ago hikers on Bierstadt Mountain (15 in the group) were injured due to a freak lightning storm. A dog owned by one of the hikers died from the strike.

I have been at 9000′ in July and had snow. The same storm at higher elevations would have been a disaster.

Try to book a concert at Red Rock while you are there. My climbing group always schedules a concert there whenever we plan to climb in the Colorado Rockies. Last show was Gary Clark Junior and Tedeschi Trucks Band.

Estes Park is cool, and beautiful, but do try to catch the vibe in Boulder as well. College town with an eclectic offering for foodies, that is as good as it gets anywhere.

Let me know if you want to do some hikes, I will set you up with some beautiful vistas.

Remember, air is thin in Estes Park, and gets thinner the higher you go. Physically you can prepare for the hikes, but you can’t prepare for the lack of oxygen.

Have fun, let me know if I can help.

• BluKudzu
      10:09 am July 9, 2015 Permalink

Just one more thing, Mosquitos are in plague form right now in RMNP. Everywhere from the treeline down is loaded with clouds of those pests, and they are in full attack mode. Many reports of them as high as 13000 feet. Good luck.

20. KC
    1:18 pm July 8, 2015 Permalink

I sent an email to your KSR address with a list of restaurants, breweries and stuff to do in Northern Colorado. I reside in Fort Collins and as Chris in LA mentioned Avery is better, they have 30 beers on tap many of which are not bottled. They just built a brand new facility with a restaurant in it. They love to barrel age beer if this is your thing try the Pump(KY)n, its a pumpkin ale aged in Bourbon Barrels. I believe its 14-16%. Also, NB is building a new facility in NC near Ashville and close to Oskar Blues you could always visit that facility once it opens.

21. Tampa Amy
    1:59 pm July 8, 2015 Permalink

I just moved to Denver – it is very beautiful! HOWEVER – you may have a BBN hook up at New Belgium. My in-law works at there and he is a huge fan of this site, as well as a UK Alum. Email me and I’ll make sure you get in touch with him- who knows, you may get your own personal tour!!!

22. Denver Cat
    2:18 pm July 8, 2015 Permalink

With the above support and feedback maybe KSR should add the Mile High City to it’s summer tour!!! That would be sick!

Make it happen Matt, Drew, Ryan, Mrs T!!!!!!!

23. JWM
    3:05 pm July 8, 2015 Permalink

My company’s headquarters are in Louisville but we also have a plant in Fort Collins and I go there regularly. In fact, I’m heading there in two weeks. The New Belgium visit is somewhat obligatory but try some Odell 90 Shilling. I’ve had them all and that one doesn’t get the credit it deserves. Previous comment on Beau Jo’s was right on.

24. ColoradoCat3
    4:39 pm July 8, 2015 Permalink

Drink Fat Tire!

25. Jason
    6:42 pm July 8, 2015 Permalink

When visiting Estes several years ago, the power plant went down and the whole dad-blame town’s electricity went out. It was about 6:00 in the evening and every single shop, restaurant, and bar closed down for the night. My wife and I went back to our room and enjoyed a dinner of peanut butter crackers.