The Grammys’ Monday News and Views

Be8xeuBIMAAPOMG

As I type this, my television is currently on The Grammys, the yearly reminder that I am getting older and more and more detached from the music scene. This year I have at least heard of nearly all the artists (thanks to the bartender at Local Taco) and am familiar with virtually all the songs. I consider that a win in comparison to years past. With that said, there will always be things that baffle me, this year including the outfits worm by Pharrell and “Daft Punk” when they went on stage to get an award. While one looks like he is trying to prevent forest fires and the other two are just weird, they were a couple of the big winners on a night where we saw some good moments. I loved the Kendrick Lamar performance (including Taylor Swift dancing), the Kasey Musgraves girl is too cute, Metallica and the Piano Dude rocked the house, it was nice to see Chicago is still alive and I loved the reuniting of the Highwaymen (although I could do without Blake Shelton, but we have to have tradeoffs I guess). Another year down, another Grammys passed and I didn’t turn the television off with frustration. I consider that a win.

With that, below are four thoughts about the weekend in UK sports, followed by my favorite four pictures from the last two days. I will start with this one of the Highwaymen in their prime:

Be9JTZmCcAAtnVa

Kentucky With the Most Complete Game of the Year

It is too early to say that Kentucky has “turned the corner” and I think we learn a great deal more about the team this week (more on that later), but I do think that Kentucky’s 79-54 win over Georgia was a HUGE step in the right direction. For the first time all season, all of the major players on the team played well in one game and what followed was the most complete performance all year (barely edging out the UL game due to the bad 10 minute start in that one). Willie Cauley-Stein put on the headband and returned to his old form, blocking six shots and showcasing the energy level that had him starting the season with such promise. Julius Randle had his beastly moments, Alex Poythress was excellent finishing once again and Kentucky had one of its best nights from behind the three point line as well. But what was most encouraging to me was not any individual’s play but rather the sight of seeing this team start to connect as a unit. The ball moved as well as it had all year, with players passing up shots they could have taken to make Georgia’s defense work a bit harder and to get a better shot. Even more importantly, the defense was at a level that we just haven’t seen all year. The Cats had UGA to 54 points, but even more importantly, every shot was contested and UK gave up almost nothing easy around the basket. The Cats have seen their Defensive efficiency rating improve in the last two weeks from 48th nationally to 31st. That is markedly better and continuing on that trend could be the most important factor as to how the rest of the season will go. Either way, it was a great night for Kentucky on both ends and a game that gave a lot of encouragement on a very cold Saturday in Lexington.

58422_10151848746140766_1909435703_n

Speaking of cold, this map for Tuesday morning is absolutely bone-chilling

Andrew Harrison is Finding The Groove

The one player I do feel has turned the corner is Andrew Harrison. Beginning with the second half of the Louisville game, I think Andrew Harrison has improved drastically and is very close to being the point guard that John Calipari needs to run this team. Sometimes Andrew showcases his talent by scoring (such as the second half versus UL and the Tennessee game) and sometimes he does it via distributing. But most importantly, he seems to be finally learning how to run the team and make sure that the offense flows with greater regularity. Calipari is unbelievably hard on his point guards and at times this year from my spot behind the bench, watching his interactions with Andrew has been difficult. He pulled Andrew often early and couldn’t believe the mistakes he was making. But the mistakes are fewer and farther between and Calipari clearly trusts him much more. We don’t see the sulking (at least not as often) as we did earlier in the year and the defense has improved a bit as well. Andrew is a victim of expectations…we (and especially me) thought he would come in immediately and be better. But he is starting to round into form at this point in the season and with each game he improves, Kentucky’s chances in March rise.

Bex16wFIMAEJkc4

This picture came from a mashup on Twitter and is what Calipari and Willie Cauley-Stein would look like if mashed together…frightening

The Next Week Will Tell Me How Good this Team Is

I will write more about this tomorrow in detail, but for me, the next two games tell me what my expectations for March will be. LSU and Missouri are both decent teams (the 5th and 6th best in conference for me…I have Ole Miss 3 and Tennessee 4 as of today), but Kentucky is most certainly better than both teams. Both games are on the road in arenas that will be lively. Both of those teams need a victory over Kentucky to help improve their chances of making the NCAA Tournament. Thus both games are tests…UK is better but they are on the road. Great teams win such games…good teams get in battles and can win or lose…decent teams lose them. The Arkansas game was somewhat freakish and had the Cats boxed out and won in Double Overtime, people would be talking about Kentucky as a legit national title contender. Now they get two more chances. If Kentucky wins both, I start to think that Kentucky can get to Dallas…win one and I will continue to reserve judgment and see if improvement continues to take. Lose both and it is hard for me to see this team having what is necessary to win it all (although they will still be able to make some noise in Tournament). I will judge where we are based on next two games…for me they are the games of the year.

BeyLFSHIMAAdR4I.jpg-large

Love this picture taken by KSR’s Dean Bowling of the UK team at the Jarrod Polson jersey retirement Friday at West Jessamine. Good example of this team building as a group

Matt Elam to Decide Thursday

I won’t go too much into this as we have a week to discuss. But Matt Elam picks his school Thursday at noon. He visited this weekend and it was quite the spectacle at the game as the seven current enrollees in the 2014 class got a great ovation from the UK crowd. The Elam recruitment has been an up and down affair but UK needs the kid. If he picks the Cats, the class will be Top 15 and it will be the cherry on top of the best group to ever be brought together at UK. Thursday could be a #Yahtzee to remember…should be quite the scene in Hardin County.

That is all for now…we will discuss all of this and more on the radio show tomorrow from 10-noon. Before we leave, a picture from the Royal Rumble tonight of Ben Roethlisberger, Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels. All look bizarre to me for different reasons. See you tomorrow: ben-roethlisberger-ric-flair-shawn-michaels1

Article written by Matt Jones

45 Comments for The Grammys’ Monday News and Views

1. Women Everywhere
    11:26 pm January 26, 2014 Permalink

Hell yeah, The Highwaymen

2. Curt_D
    11:28 pm January 26, 2014 Permalink

Matt…Daft Punk has been wearing those helmets for a long time. At least since the early 90’s

3. Terry
    11:32 pm January 26, 2014 Permalink

My favorite part of the grammys was Madonna dressed as Boss Hogg..

4. Dr. Tom
    11:37 pm January 26, 2014 Permalink

I wonder what Coach Strickland is always writing on that little pad.

• DUI?
      8:43 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Do not drink and drive. Even if you do, do not get caught… (repeat the same 100 times)

5. 90% of UL fans in Louisville live in the projects and leech off the government
    11:41 pm January 26, 2014 Permalink

Matt, get your ass back on the Live Blogs. I don’t read them if I know you’re not

gonna be on them.

• Why should Matt care?
      11:55 pm January 26, 2014 Permalink

Who the Hell are you?

6. theSkinny81
    11:41 pm January 26, 2014 Permalink

Daft Punk has been around since the mid-90’s. Their costume/shtick has always been that of identity-concealing ” human-robots”. Don’t hate on what you don’t understand. lol. I’ll take Daft Punk over “chew t’bacca, chew t’bacca, chew t’bacca spiii-ut” all day, every day.

#AlbumOfTheYear

• Rockfield, Ky
      8:39 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

If you’re an “electronic musician”, then you’re not a musician. You’re just a producer. The music scene today is miserable. Modern country and rap are terrible and the new waves of music genres are ridiculous.

• tuxedo park
      8:59 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

if you don’t think Daft Punk are musicians, well, you are an idiot. I’m not sure if you understand “electronic” music, but someone still has to compose the music. There is nothing magic about playing a guitar, dude. And the last Daft Punk album was actually live instrumentation for the majority of it.

• Rockfield, KY
      11:09 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

I’m actually a musician. What makes you the expert and me the idiot? They’re getting studio musicians for any instrumentation that they produce. Internet bad a$$. You must be some modern hipster moron.

• LeX
      11:49 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

And Im a musician part of a signed, nationally touring band. Those men are more talented musically than youll ever be. Dont try to be an elitest because you could only figure out one insturment.

• LeX
      11:52 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Also producers are usually muicians themselves you idiot

7. Matt Jones
    11:49 pm January 26, 2014 Permalink

#6 I understand…its still stupid

• Drew Franklin
      11:54 pm January 26, 2014 Permalink

Right. Like country music.

• WildcatTim
      8:48 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

The site recently went through an update that brought it up into the 90s era of site features. You can now reply to some bodies post, so no need to say things like “#6”, just hit reply.

8. ukbradstith
    11:55 pm January 26, 2014 Permalink

Easily the best Grammys in a long time. Almost all the old timers sounded great, and almost every performance crushed it. Even the songs/ artists that I don’t really care for all sounded great and put on great performances.

• Rockfield, Ky
      8:41 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

It’s supposed to be about the music itself, not the stage production.

9. RXZR2
    11:59 pm January 26, 2014 Permalink

I thought Pharrell stole Yosemite Sam’s hat.

10. Anonymous
    12:01 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Matt theyve been wearing that same costume for like 12 years dude. They play a really repetitive electronic style. Theyre also super duper french hipsters who want to be able to live their lives normally without being noticed all of the time so they wear the masks. Theyre also insanely popular so it make sense. Theyre actually in the movie tron and actually wrote the whole score for that movie. Its a stupid movie but the music is awesome.

11. UK Football is Rising!
    12:17 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

My 1st thought of the night while watching the Grammys, does Madonna need to use a cane to assist in her walking?
    My second thought was WILL MATT ELAM CHOOSE UK? I SURE HOPE SO!

12. cold
    12:43 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

I live in the NKY area and I really envy somerset for the first time in my life. Its gonna be rediculously cold and if I was still in grade school or had children of my own there’s no way in hell im putting them out in that bitter and unforgiving weather.

13. Batista
    3:45 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

I don’t care them 3 was there…because i got booed out of the building for Daniel Bryant

• Cat Fan in Austin TX
      8:47 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Lol. And you were gassed before you even got to the ring. I believe the crowd wanted to see Roman spear you in half.

14. Cats, Cats, Cats
    3:48 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

All of this and no mention of the reunion of the two remaining members of the band that revolutionized music forever?
    Smh.

• Midday
      10:16 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Amen!

15. EC
    5:40 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

“All look bizarre to me for different reasons.”

More like, all are bizarre for obvious reasons.

16. Policy
    6:34 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

I’m still holding out hope that Foghat will when a Grammy.

17. Policy
    6:35 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Or Win a Grammy – either way.

18. Ralph
    7:46 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Thursday at noon. Pick a da** school today. You have not earned any lights, camera, or action. I hope the media boycotts it and I really hope it’s Alabama. What a baby!

• swampthang
      7:56 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

It sure seems like he’s milking his moment in the limelight for all it’s worth. I hope I’m wrong and it’s only a young man having a difficult life-changing experience.

19. fairplay
    7:59 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Grammys were special. The gay wedding was so very sweet.

20. larry n lex
    8:43 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

You commented, “Kentucky With the Most Complete Game of the Year”, as we know, was against Georgia. I hope you can say exactly the same thing after the Florida game.

21. OwensboroDavid
    8:50 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Matt, why the heck were you watching that garbage? The Royal freakin’ Rumble was on!!! Jeez man, get your priorities in check.

22. PhilUK18
    8:50 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Kendrick Lamar got absolutely robbed. The Heist by Macklemore was at best the 4th best in the best rap album category and won. Lame

23. Basketball Bennie
    8:55 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

I think the Harrisons not getting to UK until August, then Andrew missing preseason games and practice, with his knee injury, slowed his develpoment.

24. Bradclay
    9:38 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

The only thing I agreed with you about the Grammy show was Casey Musgraves’ looks! Taylor Swift’s song at the piano was quite good. I found the display of same sex union rather disgusting–it ruined the show for me.

25. Grammy Shmammy
    10:06 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

I only watched for the Metallica performance and it was near the end. I feel like I was being tortured in at a CIA Blacksite until they played. It was awesome when they did though. Then I turned it off. Music these days has gone to the crapper.

26. bourbonbreath
    10:52 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

It looks like Pharrell is wearing the bastard love child of LL Cool J’s Kango and a Canadian Mountie lid.

27. Andy
    11:35 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Wouldn’t it be funny if Matt Elam postpones again…just in case the set up ain’t right ya know

28. Music lover
    11:41 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

I quit watching the Grammys years ago. Although, there is still excellent music being made today, it is highly unlikely you will see it on an awards show. More then ever, the music business is being run like a factory with little artistic creativity. I lose interest when some of the biggest names in music are Bieber, Cyrus, Swift, and Kenye. As in other endeavors, we continue to reward mediocrity in this country.

• PhilUK18
      12:25 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

I’m with you on the others, but Kanye is extremely talented. He’s not as good as he thinks he is, and he seems like a genuinely despicable person, but I would argue that he is a good musician. To each their own, though.

29. Neon Budrow
    3:07 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Pharrell’s hat looks like the Arby’s Logo.

• Cats, Cats, Cats
      6:04 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Or the ranger in Yogi Bear.

30. todd cochrane
    10:39 am January 28, 2014 Permalink

There is no email contact on this site, so hoping I can reach Matt we have an advertiser wanting to advertise on your KSR Podcast reach out to us please.